PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Arthur

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I know that hardly anyone watches the MAC anymore, and now that I've moved outside Ohio I don't get a chance to see much either, but I'd like to call attention to the season that Jabari Arthur of Akron is having.

Through 10 games he has 72 catches for 987 yards and 10 touchdowns, and unlike some players with gaudy stats, Akron doesn't a gimmicky offense, and he's playing with a sophmore QB and freshman RB.

If you're curious how he did against non-MAC competition here that is.

Army: 11 catches, 125 yards, 1 touchdown
Ohio State: 4 catches, 32 yards
Indiana: 7 catches, 118 yards, 1 touchdown
Connecticut: 8 catches, 81 yards, 1 touchdown

He also had a game against Western Michigan where he caught 15 balls for 223 yards and 3 touchdowns.

I don't know his measurables, and that will obviously make a huge difference whether he gets drafted like his former teamate Domenix Hixon (4th round-Broncos), but at the very least he should be one of the next players you add to your list Scott.

Solomon
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Arthur has great size but he probably doesn't have much speed. He's Canadian and was drafted in the first round of the CFL draft! If he doesn't make it in the NFL he could dominate the CFL.

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Arthur has great size but he probably doesn't have much speed. He's Canadian and was drafted in the first round of the CFL draft! If he doesn't make it in the NFL he could dominate the CFL.Oh yeah I forgot about that. He can also play QB, so maybe he'll start his own Canadian offense.

Smokey Joe
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
this is what I found (source: NFLDraftscout)

6'-4", 228 lbs. 40 Low: 4.58

Looks like he could be maybe a Marquise Colston type?

Get drafted late, and make a bit of an impact? Unlikely as big of an impact as Colston of course.

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Second position is apparently QB as well.
The 40 isn't very good, but most players his size run at or near that. Hell I've heard Marcus Monk could run a 4.65

Billingsley26
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Glad to see a Canadian getting the good look down south. Ya, he's a solid WR. I dont know too much about him as a QB, but I do know he was signed on to be a QB at Akron. And to be honest, that says alot for a player who is Canadian, because about 0.0000000001% of Canadian QB's get scholorships to play QB.
I think with his size and speed, he could be a force to reckon with at the CFL a a QB. However, he does have massive stats to back him up for a spot on an NFL team. I hope he tests well at the combine this year. And hopefully things will look up for him.

Gi-15
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't know why he would be playing QB in the CFL, he's been playing WR for 3 years now. Canadian QB doesn't count for the canadian ratio anyway.

Billingsley26
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know why he would be playing QB in the CFL, he's been playing WR for 3 years now. Canadian QB doesn't count for the canadian ratio anyway.

I dont think that position has anything to do with the Candian ratio at all. I think it is just Canadian or not.

Im just saying, he was signed as a QB coming into college, and Im not sure if he is fast enough to play WR in the CFL, but I could see him getting a shot in NFL as a WR. If it doesnt work out, he COULD give it a try as a QB in the CFL, which I think he has a shot to succeed at, or stick with WR, which would probably be more ideal.

villagewarrior
11-13-2007, 01:12 AM

Looks like he could be maybe a Marquise Colston type?

Get drafted late, and make a bit of an impact? Unlikely as big of an impact as Colston of course.

If he's that big and runs that well he will raise a lot of eyebrows, plus he's got a ton of production (granted from a small school), someone would probably take a flyer on him in the middle rounds.

Gi-15
11-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I dont think that position has anything to do with the Candian ratio at all. I think it is just Canadian or not.

Im just saying, he was signed as a QB coming into college, and Im not sure if he is fast enough to play WR in the CFL, but I could see him getting a shot in NFL as a WR. If it doesnt work out, he COULD give it a try as a QB in the CFL, which I think he has a shot to succeed at, or stick with WR, which would probably be more ideal.

It's an interesting theory, but i don't understand why would be too slow for the cfl, but could get a shot in nfl at that position. There is plenty of 4.6 guys at receivers in the CFL, like fantuz, clermont, copeland and others who have success. There is also a HUGE difference between playing QB at the CEGEP level (and one year of american football) and playing QB in the CFL, he wouldnt stand a chance.

Wootylicous
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I think he was trying to say get a shot in the CFL as a QB.

asmitty45
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
5th or up. His speed will really hold him back. He looked good in the game i saw him play against Ohio though.

Gi-15
11-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I think he was trying to say get a shot in the CFL as a QB.

But he should really not. He could be a great asset as a SB or WR in the CFL, big canadian target with experience in the big-time are quite rare in the CFL. He could be a star by his 2nd year, instead of being 3rd string somewhere with no chance to play. Guys like Brad Banks and Barrick Nealy are wasting their time holding clipboard, and they are better and more experienced at the QB position than Jabari.

BTW I hope he makes it to the NFL though.

lionshabs
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
J. Arthur will never get a shot at QB in the CFL because of his lack of experience. Since the NFL europa is down, there's some QB with nfl experience that would get a shot before him.

The canadian/american ratio doesn't count for QB.

The last player with similar size and speed coming from québec was Éric Deslauriers who was a QB in CEGEP(prep) and played WR at eastern michigan. He had over 1000yds receiving and he's now a back-up WR for Montreal alouettes.

I don't understand when some people think because somebody has success in the ncaa, he will "dominate" the CFL. Some guys were just beast in college and they aren't good enough to play CFL. Ricky williams was the most talented back in the cfl but he never dominated! I'm just saying the league is better than some people think..

bearsfan_51
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
J. Arthur will never get a shot at QB in the CFL because of his lack of experience. Since the NFL europa is down, there's some QB with nfl experience that would get a shot before him.

The canadian/american ratio doesn't count for QB.

The last player with similar size and speed coming from québec was Éric Deslauriers who was a QB in CEGEP(prep) and played WR at eastern michigan. He had over 1000yds receiving and he's now a back-up WR for Montreal alouettes.

I don't understand when some people think because somebody has success in the ncaa, he will "dominate" the CFL. Some guys were just beast in college and they aren't good enough to play CFL. Ricky williams was the most talented back in the cfl but he never dominated! I'm just saying the league is better than some people think..
The league is different, I'm not sure it's better. The fact that Williams failed to dominate was likely due to a myriad of factors beyond the talent level in the CFL. I would still take some top NCAA programs against CFL teams any day.

Billingsley26
11-16-2007, 06:13 PM
The league is different, I'm not sure it's better. The fact that Williams failed to dominate was likely due to a myriad of factors beyond the talent level in the CFL. I would still take some top NCAA programs against CFL teams any day.

I dont want to start this again. Ricky Williams wasnt successful in the CFL because it is a different game. Power backs (call him what you want, but he is 220 pounds, and isnt as shifty as guys in the CFL) don't succeed in the CFL. The CFL usually looks as much more agile runners as opposed to bigger bruising backs. Take a gy like Charles Roberts, who is destroying the CFL. Guys who are like Reggie Bush would succeed in the CFL.