PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd Carr Retires as Michigan Head Coach

Hines
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/carr-retiring-announcement-coming-next.html

interesting..suprised it isnt posted already

P-L
11-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, we all knew this was coming. Overall, he's had a nice career but there is no excuse for a program of Michigan's caliber to perform like it has over the last three years. I kind of want to hire someone inside the Michigan family, to try and keep our recruits.

TimD
11-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah, we all knew this was coming. Overall, he's had a nice career but there is no excuse for a program of Michigan's caliber to perform like it has over the last three years. I kind of want to hire someone inside the Michigan family, to try and keep our recruits.

Especially the white RB from Texas... hes a beast...

Chaucer
11-12-2007, 09:31 PM
In other shocking news, Jessica Alba is hot.

P-L
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
LOL.......

gstock05
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
No reason Michigan shouldn't be competing for national championships year in and year out. As far as big 10 programs go, Michigan and PSU are being held down by their coaches BIG TIME.

If PSU or Michigan had a guy like Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or whatnot, people would be touting the big 10 as the most competitive conference in the country tied with the SEC.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder if he'll coach the bowl game. Also it's going to be very interesting to see who gets the job.

GB12
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Ron English?

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Ron English?Yepppppppp

TigerBait45
11-12-2007, 10:21 PM
If they offer it to Les Miles he'll probably take it.

If thats the case, LSU needs Derrick Dooley.

Chaucer
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Ron English has no shot....

Les Miles is probably most likely.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I salute Lloyd Carr.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Les Miles, welcome to Ann Arbor.

Chaucer
11-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Other names that haven been thrown around:

Jeff Tedford (Cal)
Greg Schiano (Rutgers)
Brian Kelly (cincy) - Short resume. May not be qualified enough.
Rich Rodriguez (WVU) - Turned down Alabama.
Jon Gruden - Has mentioned coaching college, but highly doubtful
Mike Trgovac(Def Cord of Carolina) - Michigan ties, but no head coach exp.

iowatreat54
11-12-2007, 11:54 PM

I love that you got pissed at Sniper for saying that in the Michigan vs. OSU thread and then you use it yourself lol

Apriori
11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
As expected.

Carr is a class act and kept Michigan among the league's best programs off the field but unfortunately he kept Michigan mostly unchanged as the option and eventually spread rose to provenience.

Having a Michigan Man coach Michigan would be convenient but to me, I feel that the #1 priority should be hiring a coach who will take Michigan's strategies out of the stone age. I could definitely live with Les Miles.

As I understand, the coaching short-list besides Miles (who in all likelihood is #1) is (in no particular order), Kirk Ferentz, Ron English, Jon Gruden, and Bo Pelini.

iowatreat54
11-13-2007, 12:33 AM
As expected.

Carr is a class act and kept Michigan among the league's best programs off the field but unfortunately he kept Michigan mostly unchanged as the option and eventually spread rose to provenience.

Having a Michigan Man coach Michigan would be convenient but to me, I feel that the #1 priority should be hiring a coach who will take Michigan's strategies out of the stone age. I could definitely live with Les Miles.

As I understand, the coaching short-list besides Miles (who in all likelihood is #1) is (in no particular order), Kirk Ferentz, Ron English, Jon Gruden, and Bo Pelini.

our school would prolly riot if that happened...doubtful IMO as Kirk said he's at least staying until his youngest son (currently verballed here) graduates from Iowa...but anything can happen

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I want Les Miles. Jon Gruden would be an interesting though. Love to see his energy instead of Carr's laidback style.

CC
11-13-2007, 01:19 AM
our school would prolly riot if that happened...doubtful IMO as Kirk said he's at least staying until his youngest son (currently verballed here) graduates from Iowa...but anything can happen

Ferentz is definitely not worth it, the amount of money he gets paid and the seasons that Iowa has had the last couple of years do not match up.

diabsoule
11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

She needs to eat a sandwich.

Jughead10
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Other names that haven been thrown around:

Jeff Tedford (Cal)
Greg Schiano (Rutgers)
Brian Kelly (cincy) - Short resume. May not be qualified enough.
Rich Rodriguez (WVU) - Turned down Alabama.
Jon Gruden - Has mentioned coaching college, but highly doubtful
Mike Trgovac(Def Cord of Carolina) - Michigan ties, but no head coach exp.

Zero chance Schiano goes to Michigan. He's waiting for Penn State if anything.

RyanLeaf#1
11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Rich Rodriguez is another guy with 0% chance of going to Michigan.

sweetness34
11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Here's the rumor I heard....Miles to Michigan and Spurrier to LSU.

Chaucer
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
She needs to eat a sandwich.
If you would stop stealing them all.

Xiomera
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
This hasn't been confirmed by a legitimate source yet . . .

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
He's going to go sailing with Russell Crowe.

Chaucer
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Mgoblog is more reliable than the news.

Sniper
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for stealing my line Chaucer...I'm gonna go cry now ;)

Sniper
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Mgoblog is more reliable than the news.

QFT. MGB is the best Michigan source of info on the web.

Sniper
11-13-2007, 12:31 PM

He's highly overrated anyway. Not a big fan of his.

49ers169
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I think if Carr does step down and they go after Miles, U of M could lose possibly two recruits. One committed and one still open. The one committed is Boubacar Cissoko. When you guys were 0-2, he said if Carr leaves and they don't hire someone within the coaching staff, he would look around. I would think if that is the case, Illinois is a very likely possibility. He has already visited there and he is friends with Vontae Davis.

The one on the board is Nick Perry. USC, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan State are all recruiting him hard. Michigan could lose some ground if they hire outside of the program. If they go after Miles, I think MSU is the likely leader for him.

Just my thoughts though.

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Any recruits Miles could bring with him?

Xiomera
11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Or transfers? http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

God knows we need them . . .

49ers169
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Depends on who the new coach at LSU would be. I think if recruits committed to the coach, you could see some guys go to U of M. I don't know who out of Miles commits, were considering U of M but that could happen.

I think it would be tough for Perry to establish a relationship with Miles in that short of time. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

Chaucer
11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
None of LSU's current commits really looked into Michigan so I don't see it having much effect.

The only LSU plays I can think of that were Michigan people were Barksdale and Jai Euguene. Neither will transfer though.

Iamcanadian
11-13-2007, 04:56 PM
As expected.

I'm not a Les Miles lover. LSU runs an offense very similar to Carr's. He's not an innovative offensive mind but he is a good defensive HC. I really think we need to look outside the Michigan family. The Michigan family has entrenched in their mindset, dull football using talent to overpower your opponent not skill. USC, LSU(SABAN), Florida and Oklahoma all went outside their family to hire HC's who had shown innovative ideas with strong football winning backgrounds and the results are easy to observe. They didn't feel compelled to hire from within, they looked for HC's who could win.
Les Miles is still using Saban recruited players to win and they aren't dominating anybody. Ohio St. hired Tressel because he won 2 National Div2 Championships not because he was a part of Ohio St.'s family.
We can recruit with anybody but we need a HC who knows how to utilize skill. IMO.

Apriori
11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm not a Les Miles lover. LSU runs an offense very similar to Carr's. He's not an innovative offensive mind but he is a good defensive HC. I really think we need to look outside the Michigan family. The Michigan family has entrenched in their mindset, dull football using talent to overpower your opponent not skill. USC, LSU(SABAN), Florida and Oklahoma all went outside their family to hire HC's who had shown innovative ideas with strong football winning backgrounds and the results are easy to observe. They didn't feel compelled to hire from within, they looked for HC's who could win.
Les Miles is still using Saban recruited players to win and they aren't dominating anybody. Ohio St. hired Tressel because he won 2 National Div2 Championships not because he was a part of Ohio St.'s family.
We can recruit with anybody but we need a HC who knows how to utilize skill. IMO.

Tressel was an assistant at OSU for 3 years before he went to Youngstown State...
Miles certainly isn't an innovative genius but he's a lot more progressive than many of the coaches in the Big 10. When LSU played Florida, weren't they something like 4/4 on fourth down conversion attempts? When Carr has the ball 4th-and-5 on the other team's 40, he punts.
And if the issue is that Miles needs talented players to be successful, then it's certainly a plus that Michigan is one of the biggest names in college football. A coach who can recruit is great, but to an extent some of the recruiting does itself.

P-L
11-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't love Les Miles, but I think he's my favorite of all the head coaching candidates. Brian Kelly would be my next choice, but I have my reservations.

NIN1984
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm gonna miss him.

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I'll always like Carr and its sort of sad how everyone treated him after the Appy loss. Would he be retiring right now if we had won that game?

AlexDown
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he at least hinted to him retiring after Hart/Henne's last season.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
None of LSU's current commits really looked into Michigan so I don't see it having much effect.

The only LSU plays I can think of that were Michigan people were Barksdale and Jai Euguene. Neither will transfer though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jai pick LSU over Michigan @ the last minute, because he knocked some girl up and had a baby on the way?

I don't think either will transfer, but I remember Jai had an interesting recruitment process.

And is Jai getting any playing time yet?

Chaucer
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Jai Eugene commited to Michigan but pulled out to stay close to his daughter.

He has't done much but he will be moving up soon.

Joseph Barksdale hasn't decided on what classes to take yet supposably.

Billingsley26
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Is there any sources or truth to the Les Miles rumours? I highly doubt he would leave what he has at LSU to go to a program that needs a lot of help. I dont see any logic to it.

P-L
11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Is there any sources or truth to the Les Miles rumours? I highly doubt he would leave what he has at LSU to go to a program that needs a lot of help. I dont see any logic to it.

Michigan is Miles' alma mater and has had two stints as an assistant coach. I don't know about you, but if it were me, I'd jump at the opportunity to coach my alma mater and try to win a National Championship with them.

bearsfan_51
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Joseph Barksdale hasn't decided on what classes to take yet supposably.
Tough decision between badmitton and the history of bowling I'm sure.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 01:10 AM
If you would stop stealing them all.

Ouch. You burned me. I guess I'll let Jessica Alba's skeleton ass have a sandwich now that the e-bully pwned me.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Here's the rumor I heard....Miles to Michigan and Spurrier to LSU.

I've heard that rumor and don't buy into it. Spurrier didn't take the job at SC to stay there for only a few years. I also doubt Miles is leaving LSU considering this will be his third full year with the program. Why would you want to leave a program that has a chance to continually vie for the national championship and go to a team that needs to rebuild?

soybean
11-14-2007, 01:20 AM
I've heard that rumor and don't buy into it. Spurrier didn't take the job at SC to stay there for only a few years. I also doubt Miles is leaving LSU considering this will be his third full year with the program. Why would you want to leave a program that has a chance to continually vie for the national championship and go to a team that needs to rebuild?

it's his alma mater and some people just have that "dream job"

i think jack del rio and jeff fisher said that he'd love the usc job if it ever opened up.

bearsfan_51
11-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Because Michigan is historicaly one of the top 3 college football programs in the nation and LSU isn't.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Because Michigan is historicaly one of the top 3 college football programs in the nation and LSU isn't.

So what are you trying to say about the present? I know what Michigan is historically to college football but presently they couldn't beat Appalachian State. So, why would Les Miles leave a team who is the running for a national championship this year, and possibly will be next year, for a job at another program where he would have to start from the ground up?

Sniper
11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
So what are you trying to say about the present? I know what Michigan is historically to college football but presently they couldn't beat Appalachian State. So, why would Les Miles leave a team who is the running for a national championship this year, and possibly will be next year, for a job at another program where he would have to start from the ground up?

If you were a coach and your alma mater wasn't performing up to its high expectations, wouldn't you want to do something about it? He doesn't have to start the program from the ground up. Michigan's got some really good players coming back and some really good players coming in. You make it sound that since we're 8-3, we're at Temple's level.

Apriori
11-14-2007, 09:58 AM

It's a Michigan thing. Miles played under Bo, Bo dies and Carr retires, Michigan needs a coach to step up and Miles is the perfect candidate. Michigan knows that, Miles knows that.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
If you were a coach and your alma mater wasn't performing up to its high expectations, wouldn't you want to do something about it? He doesn't have to start the program from the ground up. Michigan's got some really good players coming back and some really good players coming in. You make it sound that since we're 8-3, we're at Temple's level.

I know you guys aren't at the Owls level but Michigan and LSU are worlds apart right now as far as performance on the field. I just don't see Miles leaving LSU after this season. I don't see him turning his back on a program where he's had so much success and is now bringing in his own players to play in his system. I know Michigan is his alma mater and if your a sports fan you know all about Michigan's troubles on the gridiron this year but as far as Miles leaving, I don't think so.

Jughead10
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I know you guys aren't at the Owls level but Michigan and LSU are worlds apart right now as far as performance on the field. I just don't see Miles leaving LSU after this season. I don't see him turning his back on a program where he's had so much success and is now bringing in his own players to play in his system. I know Michigan is his alma mater and if your a sports fan you know all about Michigan's troubles on the gridiron this year but as far as Miles leaving, I don't think so.

Miles would be as good as gone. Why else would he put a clause in his contract that he can back out of any deal with LSU if the Michigan job is open. Also you make it sounds like Michigan is absolutely horrible right now. It wouldn't take much for Miles to turn it around. The talent is there, and it's easier to go undefeated in the Big 10 compared to the SEC.

gstock05
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
IMHO, Miles is a decent coach, but seems a bit slimey.

I think most of his success is a product of the talent at LSU, not his superior coaching skills.

I DONT want Michigan to hire Brian Kelley, Jeff Tedford, Belloti, or any other "good" coaches out there...

JPLUFF
11-14-2007, 03:14 PM

You think he wouldn't **** his pants at the opportunity to coach the U of M vs. Ohio State game? Being a U of M student and a lifelong Michigan resident, I sorta know how important this game is, but I couldn't imagine it from the perspective of a former player with a chance to coach in it.

Marino13
11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
IMHO, Miles is a decent coach, but seems a bit slimey.

I think most of his success is a product of the talent at LSU, not his superior coaching skills.

I DONT want Michigan to hire Brian Kelley, Jeff Tedford, Belloti, or any other "good" coaches out there...

I think Les is a decent coach. He did a good job at Oklahoma State

P-L
11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I think Les is a decent coach. He did a good job at Oklahoma State
Yeah, he really turned that program around. They'd probably be a lot better if he was still there. Oklahoma State was 13-20 in the three years before he got there and 28-21 in the four years he was coach. They've been 16-18 since he left...

bearsfan_51
11-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Miles (no pun intended) apart as current team's performance? Yes.

Miles apart as organizational structure? Hells no.

Miles could go to Michigan and turn that program around very quickly. In a conference where it's Ohio State-Michigan almost every year it's really not that far off.

Frankly if I had the choice of coaching at Michigan or LSU it wouldn't even be close.

P-L
11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
You have to look at it from a Michigan fan's perspective, because Les Miles is a Michigan fan. He's said that he loves the program and roots for them every week. He has an ideal situation at LSU, but I'm sure he would much rather go where his heart is at. Winning a National Championship at LSU would probably be easier, but the opportunity to fix Michigan and have them competing for a National Championship could possibly appeal to him more.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
You have to look at it from a Michigan fan's perspective, because Les Miles is a Michigan fan. He's said that he loves the program and roots for them every week. He has an ideal situation at LSU, but I'm sure he would much rather go where his heart is at. Winning a National Championship at LSU would probably be easier, but the opportunity to fix Michigan and have them competing for a National Championship could possibly appeal to him more.

I know you're right but as an LSU fan and a fan of the SEC in general I would hate to see a coach like Miles leave the team I root for after just a few years of great success to go elsewhere.

Michigan
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I know you're right but as an LSU fan and a fan of the SEC in general I would hate to see a coach like Miles leave the team I root for after just a few years of great success to go elsewhere.

what the hell is going on in your sig?

Javzz
11-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Miles has a buyout clause for Michigan. 1.25 million I believe. I don't know the specifics, but that's the largest buyout on his contract.

TigerBait45
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
How hilarious would it be if he left and LSU stole Saban away from Alabama?

I can only imagine the chaos.

Jughead10
11-15-2007, 07:16 AM
How hilarious would it be if he left and LSU stole Saban away from Alabama?

I can only imagine the chaos.

What about Spurrier?

Xiomera
11-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Miles has a buyout clause for Michigan. 1.25 million I believe. I don't know the specifics, but that's the largest buyout on his contract.

It's actually the only buyout on his contract. He can go to any other school without penalty.

Sniper
11-15-2007, 08:28 AM
It's actually the only buyout on his contract. He can go to any other school without penalty.

This is correct. If Michigan wants him badly enough, I'm sure they'll throw in an extra 1.25 mill to cover his expenses.

srv fan
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I have to say, I'm a little confused by people's attitude that somehow turning around Michigan is going to be a Herculean task. We stockpile enough talent that we consistently win Big 10 championships, go to BCS bowls, and were a late hit penalty away from going to the National Championship last year, despite the fact that we bring a knife to a gunfight in terms of innovative coaching strategies. We have at worst, the third largest national fan base. We have a recruiting presence in virtually every state. Is this a bad year? Absolutely. But it's not like Michigan is some sort of sadsack case that needs a genius at the helm to even make us respectable. Under Lloyd, we've been a consistently very good, occasionally great team. That's not acceptable to a program that demands greatness or close to it every year, but whoever takes over Michigan is getting a pretty plum job, if they can handle the pressure. Not many programs have the recruiting, financial, and prestige advantages that come with being a flagship program of college football. The thought of what, as much as I hate them, a coach such as Meyer or Tressel could do with Michigan is borderline scary.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Les Miles or Ron English as head coaches. As has been pointed out, LSU is winning because of the ridiculous talent Saban stockpiled, not because Miles is coaching great games or preparing them well.

Iamcanadian basically summed up my thoughts on this, but I feel he missed one key point. Whoever comes to Michigan, even if they are outside the family, can't just be a football coach. I know people are going to think its hokey or corny, but Michigan still places a really high value on aspects of football other than winning- are we playing with class? Are our players graduating? Are they developing as human beings? Lloyd, for all his warts, represented the values we hold dear at Michigan to the max. No one can say he was anything other than a class act, a father to his players (just listen to some of his guys in the NFL talk about him), and a true Michigan man. I, like Iamcanadian, want some fresh blood in the program, someone who will shake up the inertia we seem to be settling in to, but whoever the new guy is needs to fit to the moral and ethical standards we have. No shady recruiting, no players who can barely read, no off the field incidents, nothing other than classiness and respectability.

Whose it going to be?

asmitty45
11-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I am sad he's retiring because, even though they destroyed MSU, I love watching Michigan blow it in the big games and having them be victims to Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Reggie, Booty and whoever they play in the Alamo bowl this year.

Sniper
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
I am sad he's retiring because, even though they destroyed MSU, I love watching Michigan blow it in the big games and having them be victims to Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Reggie, Booty and whoever they play in the Alamo bowl this year.

I'd say something back to that, but the fact that it's from a Sparty fan has me laughing too hard...Sparty has played in three bowl games in January since I've been alive, that's impressive.

Xonraider
11-15-2007, 05:03 PM

Who has verbally commited to Michigan by now? I haven't had PC for like 3 months... kinda hard to get updated on stuff..

P-L
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Current Michigan recruiting class(I tried to group them by position as well)

*4 Stars*
DB Boubacar Cissoko
WR Darryl Stonum
LB JB Fitzgerald
LB Kenny Demens
LB Christian Wilson
LB Marcus Witherspoon
TE Kevin Koger
TE Brandon Moore
OL Dan O'Neill
OL Elliott Mealer
DT Mike Martin
RB Sam McGuffie

*3 stars*
OL Rocko Khoury
OL Kurt Wermers
QB John Wienke
RB Mike Cox

Thanks for compiling the list ironman.

TigerBait45
11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
What about Spurrier?

I'd love it. Most in the SEC don't really like him, but I've always been a Ball Coach fanboy, even when Florida was beating the tar out of LSU.

Hes just so goofy.

The reason I say Saban is because a lot of Alabama fans think he'll be the next Bear Bryant for them, and it'd just be hilarious to see him leave after one year. I think a lot of the fans would just die.

P-L
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Dennis Fithian of local 97.1 FM (Detroit) just reported that realtors have told him that Les Miles' wife was in Michigan on at least two separate occasions over the past few weeks, looking at houses in the Ann Arbor and Brighton areas. The writing is on the walls...

Barbecue Bob
11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
What a perfect way for Lloyd Carr to go out. He loses behind the inconsistent and erratic passing of Chad Henne. It's the perfect example of why he has to go in the first place, because he is terrible at player development. Henne is no better than he was as a freshman.

P-L
11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm sick of hearing the media ramble on about Lllloyd Carr's greatness. I respect Lllloyd a lot because he is a class act (halftime interviews don't count...) and he personifies the "Michigan values." However, he has not performed on the field over his career. Aside from the 1997 National Championship team, Michigan has underachieved in all but maybe two seasons. Lllloyd is 26-13 in his last 39 games, which is completely unacceptable for Michigan standards. He is now 1-6 in his last 7 against Ohio State and is 1-5 in his last 6 Bowl games. His overall Bowl record is 5-8. He cannot develop players properly (see: Chad Henne) and I believe Michigan has sent the least amount of players to the NFL of any major program, under Carr (don't quote me on that). Maybe those results would be acceptable at Michigan State or Purdue, but this is the University of Michigan.

Les Miles seems like a near lock to be Michigan's coach next year (see my previous post in this thread). I have mixed feeling on Miles, but I think he's the best fit. He is a good recruiter and has gotten good results at both Oklahoma State and LSU. Next year is going to be a down year after losing Long, Henne, Hart, Crable, Adams, Kraus, and [maybe] Mario Manningham. Despite the losses, I think Miles can get the team to at least play up to it's level of talent and not lose games they have no business losing. We shall see what happens.

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
For Michigan it is all about recruiting guys who can cut the academics.

You get a recruit there in October and I can not imagine a better place to play and study if you don't mind the cold.

But Lloyd really is horrid. His teams are always unprepared and his players just don't get better after their Sophmore year.

P-L
11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
For Michigan it is all about recruiting guys who can cut the academics.

That's honestly part of the reason Michigan has underachieved. The program has some very high standards and values. They don't fool around with academics and they don't recruit dirty. If Lllloyd was allowed to recruit like Urban Meyer, Charlie Weis, and Ron Zook then he might have been more successful.

Green Bay Scat
11-17-2007, 03:38 PM
That's honestly part of the reason Michigan has underachieved. The program has some very high standards and values. They don't fool around with academics and they don't recruit dirty. If Lllloyd was allowed to recruit like Urban Meyer, Charlie Weis, and Ron Zook then he might have been more successful.

i thought illin was a good academic school? now USC has no academic standards

AlexDown
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Chad Henne finished 2nd in TD passes for the Big 10 record, second to Drew Brees. I thought he had a great career. All this talk about his talent not being developed I don't think is really correct. He just hasn't won Bowl games / against OSU.

P-L
11-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Chad Henne finished 2nd in TD passes for the Big 10 record, second to Drew Brees. I thought he had a great career. All this talk about his talent not being developed I don't think is really correct. He just hasn't won Bowl games / against OSU.
Chad Henne had a great career, but he isn't what he should've been.

AlexDown
11-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Chad Henne had a great career, but he isn't what he should've been.

What do you mean by that? By not leading us to a NC?

P-L
11-17-2007, 04:02 PM
What do you mean by that? By not leading us to a NC?
He didn't improve as a player. He started off good as a Freshman, got worse as a Sophomore, improved as a Junior, and stayed the same as a Senior. Chad Henne is essentially the same player he was when he stepped foot on campus. Maybe a little better, but not a lot better.

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Chad Henne is like Kyle Wright with better coaching.

All World coming out of school and when you look at old film you don't see much of a difference.

So Rich Rodriguez or Les Miles?

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
i thought illin was a good academic school? now USC has no academic standards

It is ok but not particularly with Zook. They kind of sold their soul to make some bucks in football.

Michigan is simply the best University in the World. No joke if you measure the breadth and quality across the Arts and Sciences.

Neither harvard nor Oxford or any Ivy can compete on that scale. They are better at certain things but just can't match the breadth.

So ..... the Football program is held to higher standard than OSU or MSU etc...

Chaucer
11-17-2007, 06:56 PM
It is ok but not particularly with Zook. They kind of sold their soul to make some bucks in football.

Michigan is simply the best University in the World. No joke if you measure the breadth and quality across the Arts and Sciences.

Neither harvard nor Oxford or any Ivy can compete on that scale. They are better at certain things but just can't match the breadth.

So ..... the Football program is held to higher standard than OSU or MSU etc...
What about all the Cals, UNC, Duke, USC, UVA, and the few others im missing.... They stack up just as well if not better to Michigan in academics.

RockJock07
11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
First off, I understand that Les is a UM grad but I just wouldn't want to walk away from an LSU team that will be good for a long time. Once Les can get a more consistant QB, his team, along with his recruiting abilities could be monsters for years in the SEC.

As for the UM next coach, what about Steve Mariucci, he's a local guy and may want to get back into coaching.

Any coach is going to have to deal with OSU every year and needs to win. Is Les a better coach then Tressal? I don't think so, but who knows with the current landscape of CF.

bearsfan_51
11-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Colin Cowherd is a bit of a blowhard, but I've always thought this summed up Lloyd Carr very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcQZQE6k4I

Shane P. Hallam
11-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so if this has been mentioned, sorry.

But remember that Les Miles has a clause that he has to pay $1.25 million dollars to LSU if he takes the job at Michigan.

P-L
11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so if this has been mentioned, sorry.

But remember that Les Miles has a clause that he has to pay $1.25 million dollars to LSU if he takes the job at Michigan.
I'm sure Michigan will gladly give Les Miles the extra $1.25 million.

Sniper
11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
What a perfect way for Lloyd Carr to go out. He loses behind the inconsistent and erratic passing of Chad Henne. It's the perfect example of why he has to go in the first place, because he is terrible at player development. Henne is no better than he was as a freshman.

Henne only looked good as a freshman because of Braylon Edwards

P-L
11-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Lloyd just made it official. Press conference on ESPNews.

TigerBait45
11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
If you get Miles, good luck. The guy can recruit like hell, but he doesn't seem to have any control over his team and discipline is defintiely a problem.

Now..I like the guy, and I think hes a really stand-up fellow..but I just don't know what to think about him. I mean, hes a good coach..but hes just so goofy

Chaucer
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I think this guy sums up why Les Miles will stay at LSU pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqN4dSY_wAs

ThEvIcTR
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
hahahahaha that made me laugh so hard.

P-L
11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Oh damn! Time to cross Les off the list now.

P-L
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
If you get Miles, good luck. The guy can recruit like hell, but he doesn't seem to have any control over his team and discipline is defintiely a problem.
That's what worries me the most. I watch an LSU game and I see penalty after penalty and can't help but think how undisciplined they are.

RyanLeaf#1
11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
ESPN is reporting the top candidates for the job besides Miles are:

Rich Rodriguez

Kirk Ferentz

Brian Kelly

TigerBait45
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
That's what worries me the most. I watch an LSU game and I see penalty after penalty and can't help but think how undisciplined they are.

Yeah, its definitely a problem. Thats the one thing I really miss about Saban. He always kept his players in line and the mistakes were at a minimum.

WildDude
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
ESPN is reporting the top candidates for the job besides Miles are:

Rich Rodriguez

Kirk Ferentz

Brian Kelly

If they dont get Les they wont get a big name Kirk wont leave Iowa then he'd look like a traitor noone leaves to go to a school in the same conference, Brian Kelly is a possibility, Rich grew up in WV thats why he turned down bama a very reptuable school so i doubt he leaves i mean hes got Devine who could be the greatest ever outta WV and he has a duty to make sure he fufills his full potential

Chaucer
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
That's what worries me the most. I watch an LSU game and I see penalty after penalty and can't help but think how undisciplined they are. Carr and Martin will whip that portion of the game in line if they decide to go with him in my opinion. I don't know how LSU is run, but I would think Michigan is going to put a lot of pressure on his view to the public and will push him to conform somewhat.

And god I hope Michigan doesn't get Kirk Ferret. I would commit suicide.

Rich Rodriguez wouldn't leave for Alabama last year. He has no connections to Michigan. Won't happen.

Greg Shiano and Brian Kelly are the only other viable options if you ask me.

P-L
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
And god I hope Michigan doesn't get Kirk Ferret. I would commit suicide.

I'll be pissed as well. He's a much better at developing players than Carr but is so ridiculously overrated as a coach.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM

It's **** like this makes me wish the confederacy had won and the South was it's own seperate country.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
As for Schiano, I think his next move is to the pros. This is obviously well down the road but I think he has his eye on the Giants or Bears jobs when/if they become available.