PDA

View Full Version : My week ten opinions

BlindSite
11-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Rookie Watch

Nedu Ndukwe

I donít think that even when HE heard his name called in the seventh round on draft day Ndukwe thought heíd see the field, let alone play a pivotal role in winning a game during the NFL regular season. Ndukwe was a diamond in a very rough defense on Sunday coming away with more than one key play on special teams and both an interception and forced fumble. The Bengals looked for a nice change, impressive against a faltering Baltimore unit part of which can be attributed to the former Notre Dame safetyís performance.

Best Performance

Patrick Crayton

I thought Iíd go a different route with this section this week, with a player whoís stats didnít clearly reflect his impact. The cowboys second half domination of the New York Giants was in large part thanks to the efforts of Patrick Crayton.

Respected but not heralded as an inside receiver Crayton made his presence felt with several catches in pivotal situations. Three of his catches in the second half went for first downs, all of them coming on third downs during scoring drives. After these catches the offense seemed to find somewhat of an improvement in its rhythm and the Giants defense seemed to deflate. Itís difficult to adequately put into words the impact these catches had on the game, but believe me when I say if not for Crayton both the Giants defense and Cowboys offense wouldíve have very different days.

The NFC South

I think it became a lot clearer this week that Tampa Bay is very much the class of the division this year. I had a feeling last week that New Orleans wouldnít be able to match Tampaís efforts despite their recent comeback. Reggie Bushís injury in no small way affected todayís loss against St Louis but realistically it didnít effect it either. The Saintís defense is clearly still a world away from being at a championship or even really a competitive level. With a decent set of defensive ends, their front office really needs to focus on building the front seven with better linebackers and defensive tackles. Their offseason acquisitions in the secondary appear more and more to be a waste of cap space and a slow build through the draft option is whatís needed for the club.

Carolina and Atlantaís football match (I use that term loosely) really does show how quickly fortunes can change in the NFL. Watching both teams itís hard to believe that three years in a row one of these teams played in the NFC championship game. While both teams are in somewhat of a transition period and have lost their starting QBs thereís a mass of other question marks on both sides that need to be addressed in the coming future.

Norv Turner

Iím curious if its possible for a head coach to have a team play more hot or cold. San Diego clearly had the bounce of the ball rather than the metal in their win over Indianapolis. Having to nurse sore egos wouldnít have been easy for Turner and it appears that his defense at the very least is somewhat on the mend after being dismantled by a rookie, albeit a great one last week against Minnesota. Antonio Cromartie seems to be hitting his stride as a player and LT as always is making waves. The annoying thing about this team is that from week to week itís a coin toss as to which Chargers will show up.

Iíve always been of the opinion that a coach that wins some of the time is better than a coach that never does, but realistically, having a roster like San Diegoís and having the team struggle win close games against poor opponents (not referencing indy here) is heading to the same area as losing all the time. Losses to such extremeís as the one against Minnesota last week highlight Turnerís deficiencies as a coach.

Thereís no man Iíd rather have as my OC than Turner, but heíd also be on the bottom of my list for HC candidates.

Coach Losing Sleep

John Fox

After losing his starting quarterback and turning over the offense to David Carr Fox realistically still had a chance to squeak out a winning season. Looking at the defenseís front seven, the offensive line, running backs and Steve Smith, a lot of coaches could have found away to keep the team competitive. By sheer number of talented players the Panthers should realistically still be in the hunt for the divisional crown and should beat most teams they play this year. It seems though, Fox missed the memo. Generally considered a solid players coach, conservatism has always been associated with Panthers football, this is one case however where itís becoming a major detriment to the teamís performance.

Rather than playing to the teamís dwindling strengths and feeding DeAngelo Williams, Foster, King and Smith using simple packages and the improved ZBS system Fox seems to be doing more of the same. Ineffective downhill running and old slant routes everyone expect feature in an offense that at the beginning of the year was billed as flashy and cutting edge. A far cry from the Dan Henning era. Sunday showed that thereís still the same problems in Charlotte.

In the fourth quarter the team played bonafide Fox ball calling run plays when in a position to win the game, granted they came after poor throws by Testaverde but Iíd rather see the team going down throwing deep a few times to Steve Smith, or trying screens, an end around, a flea flicker, something, anything other than giving him five touches in the game.

Player Losing Sleep

Eli Manning

In the fourth quarter against the Cowboys the Giants faltered on twice on a would be scoring drive because of delay of game penaltyies. For those who donít know, this falls solely on the quarterback. If it happens once, he should be saying in the huddle, Ďmove your asses up to the lineí and he himself should run the damn play rather than looking at the defense for so long.

The Giants had the Cowboys on their heels on one key drive until two penalties nullified any momentum the Giants offense had mounted. The Cowboys forced a punt and then scored on their next possession to put up a more difficult but not impossible margin.

Again later in the game still with a chance Manning again failed to get off a play when the team was well within scoring range.

Iím a big defender of Eli Manningís, but he is making it really difficult for me to make excuses for his short comings.

QB Thoughts

Tony Romo

After seeing his play against the New York Giants I am ready to become a certified member of the Romo fan club. All night his protection wasnít exactly great and the Giants certainly dished out a lot of punishment but Romo seemed unfazed by it and kept on playing to a high level. His touchdowns didnít come on stat padding shovel passes in the red zone and always seemed to be the result of his playmaking ability, awareness and excellent vision. Romo is the real deal and I honestly think he could be the guy to lead the Cowboys to and possibly win a Super bowl.

Final Notes

It is great to see Antonio Cromartie living up to his draft status an hype and excelling as a cornerback in just his second year. Some may raise the point that heís a gambler and touchdowns arenít what cornerbacks need to be good, but all the great defensive backs in this age and previous ones have had an X factor thatís made them a threat to pick off a pass or score points.

Cromartieís excellent size, speed and awareness is turning him into a formidable cornerback, which is great to see considering his lack of pedigree at the position. Heís got the size to out muscle larger wide outs and the speed to cover smaller speedier players. He could just be the next great CB in the league, I just hope he stays healthy, continues to work hard and lives up to his potential. Iíd hate to see him become another Jason Sehorn, a player who couldíve been amazing at his position but was felled through injuries and arrogance.

Thanks guys

Jughead10
11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Delay of game doesn't always fall on the QB. Do you have the headset on and know exactly when the plays are coming in? I know Coughlin took the blame for one of those late delay of games. Unlike many other of Eli's peers, he doesn't just get to line of scrimmage and say "hut". If the play doesn't come in on time, it severely hampers what Eli can do at the line of scrimmage. This is one of the reasons why the Colts almost run a no huddle the majority of the time.

neko4
11-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Good to see someone from ND doing well

Jughead10
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Good to see someone from ND doing well

Just look at Ryan Grant too.

bigbluedefense
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I think if the Giants want to run a system where Eli has to make all these adjustments at the line, then we should go no huddle. Its very difficult to call the play in a huddle, then get to the line, adjust all the pieces, then hike the ball.

It takes too long. Either make him just snap the ball, or give him a no huddle. But Eli does need to hike that ball quicker. No doubt about it.

BlindSite
11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
You can't make adjustments peyton style at the line without giving eli complete control and going no huddle.

Not many people would agree that Eli is capable of handling it.

Jughead10
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
You can't make adjustments peyton style at the line without giving eli complete control and going no huddle.

Not many people would agree that Eli is capable of handling it.

Well right now I'd say Eli makes adjustments at the line more than 90% of the QBs out there. Not as much as Peyton but not too far off. Couple that with not going to no huddle, and you get delay of game penalties. We haven't had many yet (until Dallas), but we often flirt with dangerous territory.

Addict
11-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who posts their thoughts on games. Since I don't get to actually see the games, the things you point out really help me in understanding just what went down. Keep up the good work!

This goes to all the 'thoughts' posters.

BlindSite
11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Addict, its a pleasure, I just wish more people would post, even if it were to insult my thoughts lol.

As for bigblue, I know of Eli's prowess and its why I think he could be a very good QB for a number of years.

Part of being a great QB though is having the discipline to just run the play the coaches give you when the clock is going to run down. He should have the awareness, if he's going to run an offense in the same way his brother does, to see the clock being lower than he needs.

Sure, these mistakes happen, its growing pains, but really. When the teams in position to draw even, or win a game, and he's obviously having some problems getting the play off, take away the pressure. He himself should realise his limitations.

Its not all Eli, I'll grant you, but really he's the one with his hand under centre and therefore its his responsibility to get the play off in a timely fashion.

bigbluedefense
11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Addict, its a pleasure, I just wish more people would post, even if it were to insult my thoughts lol.

As for bigblue, I know of Eli's prowess and its why I think he could be a very good QB for a number of years.

Part of being a great QB though is having the discipline to just run the play the coaches give you when the clock is going to run down. He should have the awareness, if he's going to run an offense in the same way his brother does, to see the clock being lower than he needs.

Sure, these mistakes happen, its growing pains, but really. When the teams in position to draw even, or win a game, and he's obviously having some problems getting the play off, take away the pressure. He himself should realise his limitations.

Its not all Eli, I'll grant you, but really he's the one with his hand under centre and therefore its his responsibility to get the play off in a timely fashion.

Absolutely. I agree 100%.

scottyboy
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Absolutely. I agree 100%.

as do I, but we dont know if it was the coaches being slow with the play, or Eli and the O being slow and not hurried when the clock was ticking.

if it is the play getting thei too late, i have no problem with the delay of game, here's why:

delay of game is a 5 yard penalty, but the down stays the same. if the blocking scheme is messed up, a sack is likely, as is a busted run play or turnover. these would lose us yards, down and possibly the ball. but again, Eli's gotta be quicker, and most likely, so do the coaches

bigbluedefense
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
as do I, but we dont know if it was the coaches being slow with the play, or Eli and the O being slow and not hurried when the clock was ticking.

if it is the play getting thei too late, i have no problem with the delay of game, here's why:

delay of game is a 5 yard penalty, but the down stays the same. if the blocking scheme is messed up, a sack is likely, as is a busted run play or turnover. these would lose us yards, down and possibly the ball. but again, Eli's gotta be quicker, and most likely, so do the coaches

Yup. He's not the only one who deserves blame, but he does deserve a good portion of it.

I want to see us run a WCO. The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Eli is more suited for a WCO.

dabears10
11-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Just look at Ryan Grant too.

Your sig also says something...

BlindSite
11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Yup. He's not the only one who deserves blame, but he does deserve a good portion of it.

I want to see us run a WCO. The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Eli is more suited for a WCO.

I dunno about the WCO, I like him a lot in an open offense like Tomlin has installed in Pitt or Indy seem to run more than a WCO/.

yourfavestoner
11-14-2007, 04:48 AM

Eli's biggest problem is accuracy on the intermediate stuff. Not good for a WCO. In my opinion, they need to run a Steeler's type offense. Lots of run and let Eli do his thing off play-action. That's what he's best at.

UKfan
11-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Eli's biggest problem is accuracy on the intermediate stuff. Not good for a WCO. In my opinion, they need to run a Steeler's type offense. Lots of run and let Eli do his thing off play-action. That's what he's best at.

I'd agree that he struggles with his intermediate passes, at the London game, not the best game to judge him on admittedly, he missed a few of his shortish passes either high or wide under not a lot of pressure to be honest.

bigbluedefense
11-14-2007, 09:14 AM

I dunno about the WCO, I like him a lot in an open offense like Tomlin has installed in Pitt or Indy seem to run more than a WCO/.

I agree, that system could work too. I just think this vertical air coryell system is not an offense that works to his benefit. I would like to see us shorten the playbook, ie give him more intermediate routes, in particular, use Shockey as an intermediate route instead of a deep safety pulling decoy.

So far, his best games of his career have been when we gave him intermediate routes. His accuracy on those throws are fine, from what Ive seen, its more of the short checkdowns to the sideline that give him trouble.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a WCO, but just give him more intermediate routes. We don't have to send everyone deep all the time.

And I definately agree that we should be a run/PA pass type of offense. The problem is, we don't have a defense we can hang our hat on right now, so we're asking our offense to put alot of points on the board most of the time.

I know from the outside alot of people are criticizing Eli, but honestly guys, Im not that worried at all. His #s don't really reflect how important he is to our team.

Now if we bomb against Detroit, then I'll start worrying. But right now, we are where I thought we would be. We're not good enough to hang with Dallas or even GB, but I think we can beat anyone else in the NFC.

And if we see either of those teams in the playoffs, who knows? Its not like we have no chance in hell of beating them. Its much better than the 4-12 last in the NFC East predictions we heard all offseason. Heck, I myself said we'd go 8-8 this season.

Geo
11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll be surprised if Norv Turner hasn't already lost the Chargers locker room.

JK17
11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll be surprised if Norv Turner hasn't already lost the Chargers locker room.

There was an article by Michael Silver, with a lot of quotes attributed to unnamed Chargers players that would indicate just that. It's in question the validity of these quotes; a lot of them are attributed to "A chargers veteran" or "A Chargers player".....what they say, generally I agree with, but if they did say them....thats a mistake.

Jughead10
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
There was an article by Michael Silver, with a lot of quotes attributed to unnamed Chargers players that would indicate just that. It's in question the validity of these quotes; a lot of them are attributed to "A chargers veteran" or "A Chargers player".....what they say, generally I agree with, but if they did say them....thats a mistake.

Just giving you a heads up. It could turn out to be only one player. All the "un-named Giants" who had problems with Coughlin turned into just one. Tiki Barber.

Giantsfan1080
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Just giving you a heads up. It could turn out to be only one player. All the "un-named Giants" who had problems with Coughlin turned into just one. Tiki Barber.

I think it was probably Petigout also.

BlindSite
11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
If there's one former player I can't stand its tiki barber.

As for Coughlin and the Giants the team seems to be far better in its play and its chemistry with him gone. A lot of the players in the lineup are the same but they all seem to be a little more passionate about the game and try a lot harder.

Xenos
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM

According to our beat writer, Kevin Acee, most of the unnamed quotes that Silver used did come from one player. That being said, Norv needs to do a better job with the offense. A lot of it is Rivers, but alot of it is also the playcalling.

Geo
11-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Something that just came to mind, and I thought I'd share:

How good would the Green Bay Packers be if Ted Thompson got the trade for Randy Moss done?

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 05:47 PM

How good would the Green Bay Packers be if Ted Thompson got the trade for Randy Moss done?

Or if they would have acquired Michael Turner in the offseason.

Geo
11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Self-annointed demigod AJ Smith was asking for WAY too much for Turner, it's completely understandable why every team interested declined (and wait a year).

Also, let's see how Ryan Grant fares from here on out. I like the guy.

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Self-annointed demigod AJ Smith was asking for WAY too much for Turner, it's completely understandable why every team interested declined (and wait a year).

We could've had Donnie Edwards if it wasn't for AJ Smith. :(

GB12
11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

That trade was something that I really wanted all last offseason, but I think Thompson proved that he knew what he was doing. WR hasn't been a problem at all for us. Jennings has been great opposite Driver, scoring 6 TDs and over 500 yards despite not playing the first two weeks. It's not just the starters either. We can send out 5 WRs with all being legitimate threats. Jones has been strong as a rookie and there's no team in the NFL with a better #4 than us with Koren Robinson. Those 2 make our #3 from last year, Ruvell Martin, slide down to 5th. He's averaging 15 yards a catch and had 2 TDs last week. With Randy Moss Favre's stats would be even higher, but the effect he'd have isn't as great as we had thought. It'd hurt the Patriots more than it'd help us.

What about had Marshawn Lynch fell to us, now there's something to think about.

Xenos
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
We could've had Donnie Edwards if it wasn't for AJ Smith. :(

That's what you get for having a GM who waited too long.

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 06:31 PM
That's what you get for having a GM who waited too long.

Ummm... no. That's what happens when AJ Smith asks too much for Donnie Edwards.

Geo
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
In all honesty, I thought the Packers were mainly responsible for the BS concerns that were suddenly coming up about Lynch in the two weeks before the Draft. They tried to engineer the situation so that Lynch could fall past Buffalo and to their pick, I thought. But again, that's just speculation on my part.

And that's part of the Draft, whoever was ultimately responsible wouldn't be the first nor the last person/team to utilize that particular tactic. It's a bit unfortunate, especially considering the players themselves, but it is what it is.

Doing a bit of research out of curiousity, I see the Packers traded a 6th round pick to the Giants for Ryan Grant, just before the final roster cut-downs, with Grant having shown some promise in the preseason. Can't blame the Giants really, what with already having a depth chart including Brandon Jacobs, Reuben Droughns, Derrick Ward, and rookie Ahmad Bradshaw.

Xenos
11-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Ummm... no. That's what happens when AJ Smith asks too much for Donnie Edwards.

AJ was essentially trying to teach Donnie a lesson. You see Donnie had a bad habit of complaining about his contract every offseason to anyone who would listen: players, media, fans, etc. He felt he should be paid as a top 5 linebacker. So AJ got tired of all the complaining, and decided to see if anyone would give him a second rounder for a top 5 linebacker. When no one would step up, all it did was prove AJ's point to Donnie, which is that he was a good player that was old and should not complain about his contract.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure AJ would have taken the third rounder from your GM. The only problem was that Foley got shot on the same day and losing Donnie at the same time probably wouldn't have been good.

And Geo, AJ is no more a demigod than Polian. They both do what is in their best interest of their team and are given a lot of unnecessary grief for it.

BlindSite
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Donnie Edwards probably was a top 5 linebacker, the major point was, he wasn't or isn't going to be dominant for that much longer. He's in his thirtys and has a few major injury concerns usually that linger for the year.

I love him as a player, but not a building block.

Flyboy
11-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Anyways, I'm pretty sure AJ would have taken the third rounder from your GM. The only problem was that Foley got shot on the same day and losing Donnie at the same time probably wouldn't have been good.

That was the point. We were offering a 4th rounder. Smith wanted a 3rd instead.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Iíd hate to see him become another Jason Sehorn, a player who couldíve been amazing at his position but was felled through injuries and arrogance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2r8Ft5wWs