PDA

View Full Version : Fred Davis

bigboiajhawk
11-14-2007, 04:09 AM
All i know is that he is a converted WR, but other than that I dont know a whole lot. Is he good enough to go in the first round?

San Diego Chicken
11-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Everything I have read this season says that he is the #1 senior TE right now. None of the others are on his level athletically.

BucSappy
11-14-2007, 04:57 AM
He has 4.5 speed in my opinion. Great leaping ability. Adequate bulk on his frame. Could be a better blocker. Good concentration when ball is in air. A lot of upside.

TitanHope
11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
I dunno. John Carlson was a Macky Award finalist last year, and the reason he's not being as hyped is because of Notre Dame's awful offense. Then there's Martin Rucker, whom I love deeply, and he's having a great year for Mizzou while sharing catches with Chase Coffman, whom I love as well. I'd rank them as 1a, 1b, and 1c for now and everyone has their own opinion as to who is the best. But I don't see as many USC games as I live in the South, and ND is on NBC every saturday and I see many Mizzou games on FSN South. But I don't see any of those guys on the "elite" level yet. They ain't shabby by any means, but they're not 1st RD.

soybean
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
he's good but if Travis Beckum came out, he's hands down be the first TE taken.

Don Vito
11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
He has 4.5 speed in my opinion. Great leaping ability. Adequate bulk on his frame. Could be a better blocker. Good concentration when ball is in air. A lot of upside.

He is a great athlete but I doubt he will run anything below a 4.65, he is not a burner but he can jump, break tackles, move very well laterally, and has great body control.

I wouldn't say Beckum is hands down the #1 TE, I like him but his size will hurt his stock. He has huge potential as a receiving TE/slot WR but if a team wants a pure TE I think Martin Rucker and even Davis are better picks, they may not be dominant blockers but they have the size and athleticism that project well as an NFL TE.

Sniper
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM

No he wouldn't. He only weighs like 225.

bigboiajhawk
11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
All i knew about Fred Davis was that he scores touchdowns, and that is just from watching sportscenter and hearing his name every time USC comes on, so thanks for the replies, but i highly doubt travis Beckum will enter the draft this year, as most of the replies were saying that there are three pretty solid tight ends with size, travis beckum doesnt even have size, so if he were to put on 15-25 pounds we have no idea whether that would affect his game or not

vatech=accdomination
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Fred Davis was a Stud WR coming out of HS, converted to TE and this year has been dominant. not really sure about blocking, but in the recieving game he is one of the best.

gstock05
11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Beckum is an absolute stud. Although he's more of a flex TE/HB/WR. He won't be use exclusively as a tight end on the next level.

srv fan
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
The thought of Beckum trying to block an NFL linebacker, let alone chip on a D end, is laughable. His future is as a slot possession receiver.

princefielder28
11-14-2007, 02:06 PM
For starters Fred Davis is a big target at TE with speed at the position. He probably doesn't have 1st round potential but as a 2nd rounder he'll have real good value.

Travis Beckum was the #1 LB in his class and then was converted to TE after his FR year. Don't tell me he can't block or get a chip on a DE; he is strong and the guy is a playmaker. He certainly needs to add weight if he plans on playing TE in the NFL, but I've always thought of him as the next Marques Colston type player, where he played TE in college but wasn't quite big enough for the position in the NFL so he plays WR.

Babylon
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Davis reminds me a bit of domique Byrd who also played at SC, neither one is what you would call a traditional tightend. I think Davis could be effective with a team that likes to put their tightends in the slot or uses 2 TE formations. I agree with the 4.65 comment about his 40 time, they tend to exagerate 40 yd times a little there with the trojans and i also agree that he would probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

To me the top tightends would be;

Chase Coffman (rd 1)
Davis (rd 2)
Mike rucker (rd 3)
John Carlson (rd 3)

Brent
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
None of the others are on his level athletically.
Martellus Bennett?

TitanHope
11-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Travis Beckum probably won't leave, as I don't think he's ready. He's a little undersized, but as some have said he can play at the next level from the Slot or from the line if he bulks up a little. I don't see Chase Coffman leaving since Mizzou has a good chance at being real good next year. Plus, he'd the the #1 receiving option in that offense, and has the chance of being the #1 TE next season, out of Beckum, Cornelius Ingram, and even Martellus Bennett if he stays. With that being said, out of all the junior TE's I think Bennett is the most likely to declare. He's probably a 2nd RD pick now, and I don't think that will imporve next year. There will be a new coach at Texas A&M and there's little chance they'll do anything impressive next year. Bennett should be the first TE taken though if he does come out, and maybe a 1st RD pick if he runs well and performs well at the combine.

BrentN, SDC was referring to only the senior tight ends when he said Fred Davis is the most athletic. Which may be true, but not by much.

Axl Rose
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I think John Carlson will be the first TE taken, hes had a down year statistically but it hasn't been his fault. But once Carlson hits the combines he will turn heads IMO, 6-6 260 pounds of muscle, soft hands, smart, a team player, good blocker, and about 4.6 speed.

Babylon
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Martellus Bennett?

2009?.........

BucSappy
11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Beckum is a WR that plays TE for Wisconsin. I can't believe anyone would project him to being a TE in the NFL.

Mr. Stiller
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Beckum is likely a WR convert. I can't see him being a TE. I hope he doesn't bulk up either.

I want Beckum as a WR.

GB12
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Travis Beckum was the #1 LB in his class and then was converted to TE after his FR year.
He was actually the #1 DE in his class.

WildDude
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Fred Davis should go back to WR in the NFL ala David Boston hes just couldnt crack the rotation in the deep WR rotation at USC I personally just dont think hes a top tier TE in the NFL but WR yes

Babylon
11-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Fred Davis should go back to WR in the NFL ala David Boston hes just couldnt crack the rotation in the deep WR rotation at USC I personally just dont think hes a top tier TE in the NFL but WR yes

That would be one big WR.

Bobo
11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
I dunno. John Carlson was a Macky Award finalist last year, and the reason he's not being as hyped is because of Notre Dame's awful offense. Then there's Martin Rucker, whom I love deeply, and he's having a great year for Mizzou while sharing catches with Chase Coffman, whom I love as well. I'd rank them as 1a, 1b, and 1c for now and everyone has their own opinion as to who is the best. But I don't see as many USC games as I live in the South, and ND is on NBC every saturday and I see many Mizzou games on FSN South. But I don't see any of those guys on the "elite" level yet. They ain't shabby by any means, but they're not 1st RD.

I've seen Carlson twice. Struck me as a guy who'd a fluid athlete at TE, and as you'd expect, not a strong blocker. He didn't look bad though, so if he can be more of a pass catching threat, he's already an upgrade over Troupe.

Only watched Rucker once I believe. Doesn't Mizzu run some kinda spread O? I saw it a lot when I watched them, and read that somewhere. It's just another thing where you might question his blocking (or in this case, maybe he hasn't had much opportunity to be an inline blocker).

I think a well rounded guy is what we need, or at least a guy who won't be a liability in one aspect. I thought Davis was a decent enough blocker, and a good pass threat. Tammy from KY got blown up blocking too much to me. There's plenty I haven't seen, but I guess I like Davis if we don't go for a guy like LJ Smith.

Babylon
11-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I've seen Carlson twice. Struck me as a guy who'd a fluid athlete at TE, and as you'd expect, not a strong blocker. He didn't look bad though, so if he can be more of a pass catching threat, he's already an upgrade over Troupe.

Only watched Rucker once I believe. Doesn't Mizzu run some kinda spread O? I saw it a lot when I watched them, and read that somewhere. It's just another thing where you might question his blocking (or in this case, maybe he hasn't had much opportunity to be an inline blocker).

I think a well rounded guy is what we need, or at least a guy who won't be a liability in one aspect. I thought Davis was a decent enough blocker, and a good pass threat. Tammy from KY got blown up blocking too much to me. There's plenty I haven't seen, but I guess I like Davis if we don't go for a guy like LJ Smith.

I guess by "we" you mean the Titans, i didnt think Scaife was all that bad(what's a couple of drops) but i can see the need for another tightend. The way Vince seems to throw everything underneath the coverage(my take) they might do good to grab a guy who can play in the slot, sort of an H-back type. Fred Davis would work and Jacob Tamme would give you that Chris Cooley look with a bit more speed.

Bobo
11-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I guess by "we" you mean the Titans, i didnt think Scaife was all that bad(what's a couple of drops) but i can see the need for another tightend. The way Vince seems to throw everything underneath the coverage(my take) they might do good to grab a guy who can play in the slot, sort of an H-back type. Fred Davis would work and Jacob Tamme would give you that Chris Cooley look with a bit more speed.

We hoped Ben Troupe would be that guy, but we can just give up on him now. The fans loved the idea of Ben playing the slot, and the coaches talked about it, so yeah a guy who could do that could help. This year they've used more WR's in the slot.

I think they'll put some emphasis on blocking too though, Fisher wants Fisherball. I wanted Tamme to look like a better blocker when I watched him, because I loved what he did as a receiver. But man he was getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Babylon
11-21-2007, 07:37 PM
We hoped Ben Troupe would be that guy, but we can just give up on him now. The fans loved the idea of Ben playing the slot, and the coaches talked about it, so yeah a guy who could do that could help. This year they've used more WR's in the slot.

I think they'll put some emphasis on blocking too though, Fisher wants Fisherball. I wanted Tamme to look like a better blocker when I watched him, because I loved what he did as a receiver. But man he was getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Not sure if blocking would be a requirement for an H-back as far as i'm concerned.

Bobo
11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
We use a lot of two TE sets. And h-back or f-back (what Chow calls it) is asked to block. I think part of the reason Troupe doesn't see the field much is he's the worst blocker of our 3 TE's. Ben Hartsock is the total opposite of Troupe, and I bet he sees the field just as much if not more than Troupe. I definitely think Hartsock is worth more to the O now because of his blocking.

Now if we can find a guy who blends blocking and receiving nicely....

badgerbacker
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
He was actually the #1 DE in his class.He was listed at different positions according to who you get your information from. With his athletic ability, he played about every defensive position in high school. A couple of people have mentioned that he won't come out, and while I agree that he shouldn't, he is a very stupid and cocky person. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he did go pro after this year.

Zyro_1014
11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
if you guys are watching the game tonight against AZ ST. he is kicking there a**. boy's legit!

bored of education
11-22-2007, 11:11 PM
He was a monster in tonight's game. Booty looked good too. wink

ManOverboard
11-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Watched him when I was at the ASU/USC game tonight and wow, man is a tank. I would love the Jets to nab him if we part ways with Baker.

dcarey20
11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I have Fred down as my #1 tight end right now, but I'm not as enamored with him as some. I've seen multiple people on other sites that have him as a top 10 prospect, and I'm not that high on him. However he is a first round prospect and probably will be the first off the board. I'd probably put him in the 18-20 range as a prospect, but he could move up alot after the season. Travis Beckum is a guy I love. If he does come out I'd put him second to Davis and I give him a late first round grade. He's such a fluid athlete, and I know people are concerned about his size, but he has the frame to get bigger and not lose much athleticism. Davis and Beckum are 1a and 1b for me.

Green Bay Scat
11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
i see Fred Davis as a Richie Rich version of Donald Lee