PDA

View Full Version : Darrius Heyward-Bey Discussion w/o lockage

Smokey Joe
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Okay, so lets try this again with out the stupid advertiser and let this be just a discussion about Darrius. What do you guys think if he declares?

I think right now he is a lock for the top 2 rounds if he declared, however he could go 1st with good workouts. I like how Scott said Sidney Rice part II and that was pretty much my thought when I saw the initial thread. Except I think Darrius is a lot better and can go a lot higher.

BucSappy
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I really think DHB needs to stay in school for at least another year. But you can't teach 6'2 210 4.38.

He hasn't had more than 6 receptions in a game all year, and I want to see some monster games out of a sophomore before he declares.

Also, 1 touchdown? In the ACC?

Scott Wright
11-16-2007, 12:35 AM
I really think DHB needs to stay in school for at least another year. But you can't teach 6'2 210 4.38.

He hasn't had more than 6 receptions in a game all year, and I want to see some monster games out of a sophomore before he declares.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well there.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-16-2007, 01:03 AM
He's shown flashes of being a nice deep threat, but he doesn't consistently beat corners and, while I like his ability to haul in the long ball, he hasn't yet shown the ability to go up and get it like you need to be a great NFL deep threat.

I'll just say that he'd have to put up some very good performances between now and the end of the season and would have to put on a clinic at the combine to sneak into the 1st.

mikehop05
11-16-2007, 01:04 AM

just as people can be products of good systems..

he is a product of a bad one

BucSappy
11-16-2007, 01:11 AM
just as people can be products of good systems..

he is a product of a bad one

It was good enough for Vernon Davis.

I see DHB make a lot of great plays, but I don't see him making those plays consistently throughout the season.

If teams want to draft this kid, it is going to come down to how they evaluate his character and work ethic considering his less than stellar stats.

jbeans187
11-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I like the comparison of sidney rice in there consistency, but dhb has the potential to tear the combine up while rice didnt do so hot there

mikehop05
11-16-2007, 01:49 AM
It was good enough for Vernon Davis.

I see DHB make a lot of great plays, but I don't see him making those plays consistently throughout the season.

If teams want to draft this kid, it is going to come down to how they evaluate his character and work ethic considering his less than stellar stats.

vernon davis benefited from a better team and a more experienced qb

heyward bey had a great year last year with hollenbach playing qb

lod01
11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
The videos didn't speak volumes at all. Run fast and I'll heave it. See if you can run under it. Where are the slants, crossing routes, etc? Can the guy run a route?

neko4
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Love the guy so i hope he doesnt declare until hes a senior
He's a first next year if he shows statistical progress

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2007, 03:52 PM
If anyone has seen Chris Turner or Jordan Steffy they are 10x worse than Reggie Ball combined, that and with Lattimore and Ball they are a run oriented team, make no mistake with lack of numbers. I don't think you can say stay another year to have a monster year because next year with both RB's gone, and still no QB, I don't think he can put up consistent numbers, I don't think any wideout could on this anemic Maryland offense. And the combine is a non issue he should run in the 4.2's.

wakefan31
11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
So...is that what this board is about? Deleting people's posts?

11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
..its more like chad jackson part II

bearsfan_51
11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah I don't like the Rice comparison, Rice was productive at South Carolina in his short time there.

Can he return? If he can then maybe he could hope for late 2nd (ala Devin Hester) but at this point he's just a track star with a helmet.

BamaFalcon59
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
One more year and hes top 10.

mqtirishfan
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
And the combine is a non issue he should run in the 4.2's.

In what? The 35 yard dash?

jbeans187
11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah I don't like the Rice comparison, Rice was productive at South Carolina in his short time there.

Can he return? If he can then maybe he could hope for late 2nd (ala Devin Hester) but at this point he's just a track star with a helmet.

I didnt see to much USCarolina but when i did one game Rice scored 5 tds then every other time i saw hime he seemed to be a non factor. DHB will make a huge play and dissapear for awhile.

Green Bay Scat
11-17-2007, 02:49 PM
wheres the EB thread....atleast he can do something with a ****** QB

Yung Flippa
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
If he stays and has a soild season, he will be a 1st Round pick next year. At the least early-mid 2nd.

thule
11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Rice did have the fastest 10 yard split in the 40 last year...which is really telling. I think Hill was up there as well. So while Rice didn't have elite timed speed he did show scouts something at his proday.

BucSappy
11-18-2007, 09:31 PM
wheres the EB thread....atleast he can do something with a ****** QB

Is it possible to have a thread without GBS, "lack of respect for Vandy players, blah blah blah."

hahahah I love it :)

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
chad Jackson was productive, just not dominant.

dcarey20
11-19-2007, 09:26 PM
As some have mentioned, Heyward Bey has just really been hurt by an offense this year that really hasn't been suited for him.

We've got Chris Turner under center, a sophomore who came into the year as the third quarterback. He's shown flashes but he is what he is. Hollenbach wasn't great but he was at least a stable player and you knew what you were getting. He threw a nice deep ball and that suited DHB well. Turner's a guy who's learning on the fly and is wildly inconsistent.

Then you've got Keon Lattimore and Lance Ball, one of the more formidable duos in the nation. These guys ARE the Maryland offense. Together they are averaging 31 rushes per game. 31. That takes away from any receiver's stats.

And then factor in that Ralph Friedgen is just a conservative coach in general.

Heyward-Bey isn't playing badly at all, he's not dropping balls, not running bad routes, etc. In fact he's played pretty well. When he gets his shot, he makes the most of it. Nothing you can complain about. He's just not in the position that he was last year, one that showed us what he could do. It's just not an offense where many receivers are going to put up huge numbers, especially a guy like Darrius.

Heyward Bey could use another year, definitely, and I think he'll get just that, cause I don't see him coming out. Next year the numbers that all the draft guys are looking for should improve. Josh Portis will be back and could be the starter at quarterback. Turner will have another year under his belt if he's the guy. Most importantly Keon Lattimore and Lance Ball will both be gone, so the offense should be MUCH less run-oriented. DHB will be fine.

D-Unit
11-20-2007, 12:40 AM
There are really no top flight WRs in this year's draft and I don't see the QB situation improving greatly for him next year. Another disappointing year will not help his stock. His stock is fair. I don't see him lasting beyond Round 2 and can only move up after workouts.