PDA

View Full Version : New Mock Draft

Scott Wright
11-16-2007, 05:58 AM
As promised the new mock draft is now live and you can link to it via the main page. If anyone notices any errors or typos that I missed in my proofreading please drop me a line by e-mail (scott@nfldraftcountdown.com) or PM.

As always constructive criticism is more than welcome but please be sure to give reasons and explain your opinions.

I will stop by early Friday evening to go through this thread and try to answer any comments or questions you may have.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com

TitanHope
11-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Nice job Scott, but now I have to go back and do some changes to my unposted mock as you've undoubtedly snuck into my room and stolen a few of my unique picks from my draft... :P

Jakey
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I like the Otah pick for the Steelers...but what do you think about Chris Williams??? Would he be a value pick at that point in the round??? Thanks Like the mock as a whole, Grade A-

Xiomera
11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Aqib Talib is a nice pick for the Lions based on who was available.

I would like them to consider an OT too though. Did you consider giving them an OT instead?

Scott Wright
11-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Aqib Talib is a nice pick for the Lions based on who was available.

I would like them to consider an OT too though. Did you consider giving them an OT instead?

I did but their pass defense is just as bad as their offensive line and I felt their was better value in the secondary.

cordscords
11-16-2007, 07:15 AM
I was hoping to see a CB taken for the Packers.

Wynn was running well before he went down, and now Grant has stepped in and performed. I think the fact that they had success against the #1 rushing defense heading into last week is a good indication that they are making strides with the running game.

NYGibril28
11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I like the mock, but you still feel Okam is a 1st round pick? He's surelyt a terrific athlete given his size, but his work ethic is in question. I can't see the Chargers taking someone like Okam. My personal opinion though.

Giants pick is solid, I prefer Talib to Jenkins, but once again, that's opinion, and I can't argue position. It sucks to see Reggie Smith go to the Cowboys though. :D

D-Rod
11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Can't really fault the Brohm pick for the Falcons. It does make sense.

Incidentally, have you assumed that Oher won't declare? If he does, how would you match him up with Clady? Likewise Loadholt...

Young Legend
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Love The Raider pick..Russell and McFadden man that would be something..

BPhilb
11-16-2007, 08:48 AM

I hate the Raiders pick, if only because I'm a KC fan and the thought of those two are scary. Love Clady to KC though and I hope it pans out that we are able to upgrade the O-Line with a quality prospect who can help immediatley.

London
11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't think the Titans would take Sweed....too similar to our other WRs. Maybe Gholston could be taken there if Odom isn't re-signed or Doucett/Manningham

thebow305
11-16-2007, 08:51 AM

So does that mean the LaMont Jordan, Michael Bush, Dominic Rhodes, & Justin Fargas era is over???

Damn, you guys need way more help than a Running Back....

I know he can play QB, but is McFadden gonna line up on Defense for you too?

Decent Phins pick by the way.... Still would like a trade down if at all possible on draft day.

kennyb
11-16-2007, 08:54 AM
I can't see the Pats taking Laurinitis that high.

Their ILB have to play 3-4 and take on blocks, I think Laurinitis is questionable there. Plus that would be higher than anyone else has him going.

Also the Pats don't draft LBs high usually, they like to "develop" them, although they haven't lately developed anyone. Bruschi made 2M this year I think, kind of hard to have this guy come in at 4th pick salary mostly guaranteed.

I'd have to think with McFadden on the board they'd trade down to someone who wanted him, but maybe trades are too difficult to model.

If they had to take someone maybe Jenkins of Ohio State or McFadden themselves. Pats only have Morris (out) and Maroney at tailback. Plus Kevin Faulk, 3rd down type of guy.

keylime_5
11-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Excellent Mock, Scott. Best one of the year so far IMO that I've seen on the web.

Finsfan79
11-16-2007, 09:18 AM
I like the fins pick as I think he is the biggest need position in the draft for us. Where McFadden is BPA for the draft Dorsey is next.

I am curious if we did trade down a few spots your thoughts on the dolphins taking James Laurinaitis?

With Zach Thomas pretty much showing he is done, continous injuries and concussions we need an impact linebacker for the future of the team. If we somehow end up in the 3-4-5 spot what do you feel about the fins looking hard at Laurinaitis?

Jughead10
11-16-2007, 09:19 AM
With Connor and Rivers both gone, CB makes the most sense for the Giants. I personally would have preferred Cason but that just my opinion. Either way with the talent that is expected to be in that area as of now, Jenkins, Talib, or Cason make the most sense in terms of position and value.

NIN1984
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
RB may not be the biggest need for Oakland, but no way we pass on Fadden I love the pick.

Handel
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Considering Bruschi and Seau are mainly working on run stop, I wonder if it is a too early to get a younger run stopper. Because Adalius Thomas, who is signed for many years, is mainly the coverage.

But thanks for the mock. :)

Rob S
11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
love Malcom Kelly for the Bills, but what I love more is the fact that Scott has them 1 spot away from the playoffs!

princefielder28
11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I still struggle to believe that Ted thompson would invest a 1st rounder on a RB. Ryan Grant has started to come and play well and hopefully he'll progress with time. Brandon Jackson is still in his first year and I'm sure the Packers will try and see if he can be a playmaker next year before they draft a RB early and admit that it was a bad pick.

In the first I want to see the Packers go after a CB. Woodson and Harris are into their 30s and if one of them goes down then Jarrett Bush would be inserted as a starter; scray thought! I think it is really time to bring in a young playmaker at that position, for insurance early in his career and then eventually a starter.

ironman4579
11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I like the Lions pick Scott, but I'm with Xio in that if the value was there OT would definately be a nice pick as well.

But no Shawn Crable yet? ;)

bearsfan_51
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree that McFadden would be hard to pass up, especially at #4 where let's face it, that's a ton of bonus money to give to a guy like Laurinaitis.

Other than that it's a very good mock. Not sure I buy Sweed in the 1st round, but everything else makes good sense.

Bears pick is good. I'd prefer Baker as what we really need is to draft LT and move Tait back to the right side, but it's still a good pick.

Young Legend
11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
So does that mean the LaMont Jordan, Michael Bush, Dominic Rhodes, & Justin Fargas era is over???

Jordan is gone at the end of the year cause of money and his back keeps on acting up on him..they will try to trade him and if they cant do that they will release him..

Rhodes has been a bust from the get go..he is gone..

Fargas is a nice change of back ..but he is a FA so never know what is gonna happen with that..

Bush is coming off a broken leg ..and they dont know what there getting from him..and he is cheap..and if he can come back then you got the next great running back tandem..and you got yourself the next Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen rushing attack..

He is the BPA and the raiders would be stupid to pass on him cause just thinking of McFadden and Russell is just crazy and McFadden is a play maker witch oklands offense is REALY lackin..

Man_Of_Steel
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Love the Otah pick. I didnt think he had a first round grade but his production this season and his size cant be overlooked.

lod01
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
As far as the offensive skill position players, I like where everyone goes except Matt Ryan ( I have no Viking WRs on my fantasy team). Of course, I will target Ryan or Brohm since they are in domes and are the only 2 vialbe QB's in the draft. Also I don't believe Dallas would take Doucet there, nor Slaton to Green Bay.

I also see the Raiders taking McFadden.

Ryan or Brohm in ATL is great and a good move.

Woodson in Balt is good because they will never have a viable offense anyway and he will continue that trend.

Sweed to Tenn is good to pair up with Young and suck all day. He won't make a difference but it will be good to show that is the case.

Malcolm Kelly to buffalo is a great pick as is Stewart to Sea. Desean to philly...who cares, they are heading south anyway.

FinChase
11-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I can't see the new mock. I keep getting taken to the 10/12 mock. I've refreshed my browser several times. Anyone else having this problem?

Hines
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
i like the otah pick, but i believe he is a second rounder right now...chris williams if we go tackle in round one is the guy i want

FloridaFootball
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I think with the given situation and players off the board when the Redskins pick they would take Limus Sweed. We have struggled at the WR position all season long. Santana Moss has been nagged with injuries to his hamstrings and heel all season, Antwaan Randle El has been good for us and then behind them we have a disgruntled underachieving WR in Brandon Lloyd who only has 2 catches this season, missed team meeting so he was left in D.C when the skins went to New York.

As far as DE look into Chris Wilson, a young speedster who has really been stepping it up. So overall I would say take a big possesion WR in the first round and since the Redskins actually have a 2nd round pick this year they can get a decent DE in the 2nd.

Man_Of_Steel
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
i like the otah pick, but i believe he is a second rounder right now...chris williams if we go tackle in round one is the guy i want

Otah is better than Williams.

chcwarriorpoet
11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I disagree with the Sam Baker to TB pick. Donald Penn has played really well for them and they think he has a future as there LT. Luke Petitgout is cheap and his injury was less severe then a typical blown knee. Petitgout and Penn give them youth, experience, and depth. LT is not a need.

Better picks for TB are:
Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida
Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
Harry Douglas, WR Louisville

truth393
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
If Sam Baker slip that far, I see the Lions trying to trade up and grab him.

Flyboy
11-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I like the pick for the Saints. I think we would actually go with BPA, though, and probably select Kenny Phillips instead.

villagewarrior
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I love the Chiefs pick. Clady looks like a stud, I'm just kind of worried about his lower body strength.

The mock overall was really good. Kudos Scott.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Well whaddya know. Brian Brohm.

xooberon
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
i would rather the panthers go OT if baker is still on the board. i like rivers but if all of the big 3 QBs are gone i think OT is our next biggest need.

btw what makes you say that safety is still our "greatest weakness" scott?

Oaktown1981
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Great Raiders pick.

49ers169
11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Like the pick of Groves right there for the 49ers. Hopefully he does drop that far because that would be awesome. Another possibility is Cason from Arizona, the guy should be a stud even though his 40 time will not allow him to rise up draft boards. I think besides Groves that is the best value pick for us.

EvilMonkey
11-16-2007, 12:03 PM
dont mind the pick of Slaton to the Packers because he'd be a great fit, but I'd rather take a CB like Avion Cason if he's still on the board at that spot.

vinivedivichi
11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Looks really good. I think we are finally at a point where we can start matching players to teams based on projected finishes, and I think Scott has done a pretty good job of that.

theogt
11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Dallas already did something about it's safety problems. They signed Ken Hamlin who has been spectacular this year. Jerry has already stated he wants to re-sign him.

I do think they'll go corner at that spot, though. I would think Talib, Jenkins, or Cason at that spot.

Man_Of_Steel
11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I like the pick for the Saints. I think we would actually go with BPA, though, and probably select Kenny Phillips instead.

I disagree. Malcolm is arguably the best DB in this years draft. Secondly Roman Harper is a great young safety that you already have. What the saints need is better matchups against WR to lighten the S work. I think Malcolm Jenkins is a great pick there if still on the board.

jayceheathman
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Love, love, love, love, love the Texans pick. Man I hope that pick comes true.

iloxygenil
11-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I really hope that Atlanta doesn't HAVE to go QB in round 1. I know we have a big struggle there, but I want to be able to protect whatever franchise QB we bring in...and I don't think we'll be huge players in the FA market, unless we go for Faneca and/or Starks...which is possible. But Petrino still needs that power every down back for his system, a guy who can take punishment. We have our complimentary back, our WRs seem to be shaping up actually...if Roddy can maintain his work ethic and get better and better as he goes along we'll be just fine.

But Brohm is a great QB...I just think it's boring to have it pegged so early. If he is going to be our pick, I hope we keep on winning so we can get him at a better value, because I think a lot of teams look at Woodson and Ryan as more intriguing prospects.

Also, don't forget last year when we could have snagged Michael Bush, we overlooked him when he would have been a decent value in the 3rd round, Petrino doesn't show a bias when drafting.

FLABillsFan
11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Love the pick Scott.

scottyboy
11-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I love the position for the Giants Scott, but not the player. I would hate to see Mike Jenkins in blue for the sole reason: He went to South Florida.

I also am a HUGE Cason advocate in this draft, he's my top pick for the Giants. saw alot of great picks here Scott, excellent work, as usual

Smokey Joe
11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I really don't like that Cherilus pick for Chicago. We need a LT and move Tait back to RT. Sam Baker would be the pick.

thebow305
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Love the Otah pick. I didnt think he had a first round grade but his production this season and his size cant be overlooked.

But Over Phil Loadholt???

That doesn't make any sense...

Scott... is it true you have Otah graded higher than Loadholt? And Why???

kmartin575
11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I like the Ryan Clady pick. Great pick for the Chiefs.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I like the mock, but you still feel Okam is a 1st round pick? He's surelyt a terrific athlete given his size, but his work ethic is in question. I can't see the Chargers taking someone like Okam. My personal opinion though.

Giants pick is solid, I prefer Talib to Jenkins, but once again, that's opinion, and I can't argue position. It sucks to see Reggie Smith go to the Cowboys though. :D

I was thinking all of those things when reading the draft. Everyone one of them. **** you for writing it first. =D

Bills2083
11-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Grea pick for Buffalo

Babylon
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Hard to do mocks at this point i would say because we dont know what underclassmen are in or out. To assume player A is in and player B is not seems futile to me. In this mock here, which i would say is pretty decent, i have a problem with Desean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Groves and Harvey being in the first round. I would substitute with Brian Cushing, Kevin Smith, Chase Coffman and a guy who most mocks have going lower, Jordy Nelson, he's almost as big as Sweed, faster, and better after the catch. He would be my sleeper to come out of the combine and go late in round 1.

no love
11-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Hard to do mocks at this point i would say because we dont know what underclassmen are in or out. To assume player A is in and player B is not seems futile to me. In this mock here, which i would say is pretty decent, i have a problem with Desean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Groves and Harvey being in the first round. I would substitute with Brian Cushing, Kevin Smith, Chase Coffman and a guy who most mocks have going lower, Jordy Nelson, he's almost as big as Sweed, faster, and better after the catch. He would be my sleeper to come out of the combine and go late in round 1.

Wait. Do you have a problem with Jackson being in the draft period, or do you not think he is a first round talent?

Cushings has said that he is returning to USC.

Sweed is a Sr. so I don't quite know what you are talking about when you are talking about underclassman. I guess it's one thing if you don't think he belongs in the 1st rnd but you didn't really make it clear.

And I would be willing to bet that there is no way Chase Coffman is drafted before Fred Davis.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Wait. Do you have a problem with Jackson being in the draft period, or do you not think he is a first round talent?

Cushings has said that he is returning to USC.

Sweed is a Sr. so I don't quite know what you are talking about when you are talking about underclassman. I guess it's one thing if you don't think he belongs in the 1st rnd but you didn't really make it clear.

And I would be willing to bet that there is no way Chase Coffman is drafted before Fred Davis.

I guess i could have made the statement about not knowing who is in as far as underclassmen go having an effect on doing a mock then in a new paragraph state that i dont think Jackson and Sweed should be 1st rounders, will try to be more clear next time.

As for Davis over Coffman we dont know for sure yet if Coffman is in, although he did say he was going to explore it. If you want to think Davis is a better all around tightend than Coffman then be my guest. He's not.

bigboiajhawk
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I really dont think the packers will take a running back in the first round, i think right now there are too many guys in the backfield to take another one. Look at the receiver situation, a year ago it looked bleak and then the packers drafted James Jones with a third round pick, they didnt use a high pick to get a receiver. The running back core looks like it has promise and with grant emerging why add another back, why not take a guy like CB jack ikegwonu or TE fred davis who are first round talent and will fill a major void

jayceheathman
11-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I really dont think the packers will take a running back in the first round, i think right now there are too many guys in the backfield to take another one. Look at the receiver situation, a year ago it looked bleak and then the packers drafted James Jones with a third round pick, they didnt use a high pick to get a receiver. The running back core looks like it has promise and with grant emerging why add another back, why not take a guy like CB jack ikegwonu or TE fred davis who are first round talent and will fill a major void

They really dont need a pick at all. Brett Favre can play every position by himself.

EdReedUnstoppable
11-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Love Andre Woodson to the Ravens!

Scott Wright
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
I think Laurinitis is questionable there. Plus that would be higher than anyone else has him going.

Make no mistake about it James Laurinaitis is a legit Top 10 pick if he comes out and still climbing.

I am curious if we did trade down a few spots your thoughts on the dolphins taking James Laurinaitis?

First of all there isn't going to be much, if any, market for that #1 pick so a trade down is unlikely unless they are willing to do it real cheap. As for Laurinaitis in Miami, I don't really see it to be honest.

I still struggle to believe that Ted thompson would invest a 1st rounder on a RB.

There is no question that cornerback depth is an issue but the Packers defense has been playing extremely well while their shaky running game is holding them back from being legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Better picks for TB are:

I will go out on a limb right now, 6 months before the draft, and say that none of those guys will be the Bucs first round pick.

Dallas already did something about it's safety problems. They signed Ken Hamlin who has been spectacular this year. Jerry has already stated he wants to re-sign him.

As you said Hamlin is on a one-year deal and he really isn't a coverage-type. However, even if they do re-sign him Smith can provide the depth they need at cornerback, which is the position he is playing this year for the Sooners.

For those asking for Antoine Cason in round one:

I like the guy and he is a solid player but he's not first rounder material unless he runs better than those mid to late 4.5's in workouts.

Scott... is it true you have Otah graded higher than Loadholt? And Why???

Yes. Loadholt's stock has been soaring but at this point he isn't a first rounder. I have Michael Oher rated higher than him too and he would have been the next underclassmen OT I included.

i have a problem with Desean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Groves and Harvey being in the first round. I would substitute with Brian Cushing, Kevin Smith, Chase Coffman and a guy who most mocks have going lower, Jordy Nelson,

Wow, I don't agree with a single thing you said there... :)

Brett Favre can play every position by himself.

At this point I wouldn't doubt it!

49ers169
11-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Cason is going to be a steal for someone in the 2nd round. Mike Jenkins is going to be a first round just because of his speed. Cason is a better player.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow, I don't agree with a single thing you said there... :)

I like to think i'm unique in that i actually watch guys play and dont buy others hype or criticism. As for the guys i mentioned if anyone would like to argue the merits of guys like Cushing and Coffman......lets have at it.:) As for Nelson vs. Sweed, hype aside, there is nothing that Sweed does that Nelson wont do better at the next level. As usual thanks for the mock.

bigboiajhawk
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I hear alot of talk about Chase Coffman, he rightfully deserves it, but shouldn't his teammate, Martin Rucker, who has better stats be mentioned in the same sentence. They are both great TE's and they both will be gone early in the draft, if Coffman comes declares. And for the Packers they have already invested a 2nd round draft pick in a running back in last years draft, they have plenty of depth, but the Packers are also lacking at corner. Jarrett bush is young but is constantly getting beat deep, which in turn causes Atari Bigby to get stupid pass interference calls, which gives up big yardage. Those plays can change momentum and can potentially cost the packers the game which in turn can hurt the Packers chances of going to the superbowl.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I hear alot of talk about Chase Coffman, he rightfully deserves it, but shouldn't his teammate, Martin Rucker, who has better stats be mentioned in the same sentence. They are both great TE's and they both will be gone early in the draft, if Coffman comes declares. And for the Packers they have already invested a 2nd round draft pick in a running back in last years draft, they have plenty of depth, but the Packers are also lacking at corner. Jarrett bush is young but is constantly getting beat deep, which in turn causes Atari Bigby to get stupid pass interference calls, which gives up big yardage. Those plays can change momentum and can potentially cost the packers the game which in turn can hurt the Packers chances of going to the superbowl.

Both guys are averaging about 10yds per catch and 5 and 7 tds respectively this season so their numbers are near identical. Coffman probably should stay another year and i would think would be ranked much higher. Rucker should be a 1st day pick.

BamaFalcon59
11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
I like Clady more than Brohm for the Falcons. But Brohm is my top QB, with or without Petrino. I don't know how Matt Ryan is the concensus top QB when he has been bad the past 3 weeks, doesn't have the natural tools, doesn't have several good years, etc..

d34ng3l021
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah. I like Brohm, because I think he has the least chance of busting. When you are picking that high, and looking to change your franchise, you cant invest such a high pick on a QB that could set your franchise back.

jayceheathman
11-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I like Clady more than Brohm for the Falcons. But Brohm is my top QB, with or without Petrino. I don't know how Matt Ryan is the concensus top QB when he has been bad the past 3 weeks, doesn't have the natural tools, doesn't have several good years, etc..

I like Andre Woodson the most out of the QB's this year. Thats who I would pick if I were the Falcons. If your team is picking that high then why not take a little risk and go after the guy with the most potential?

Green Bay Scat
11-17-2007, 12:44 AM
so Scott, whats it gonna take for you to put on my Vandy Homer Goggles and say that Chris Williams is a first round pick(or Goff or Bennett)The homer in me hates you, but the rational person in me agrees with you.

Vikes99ej
11-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Right now, I'm not sure if we need another inexperienced QB or an accurate veteran. I still like Matt Ryan, though.

OzTitan
11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Sweed to the Titans almost makes too much sense. Unless they nose dive these last 7 games, they will likely be just in the right spot for him to perhaps do a slight but suitable reach given his college history with VY.

Still, I kinda hope a top end WR is on the trading block this offseason and they ship the 1st for him.

Crow
11-17-2007, 06:00 AM
We can only hope.

Psst. We get another pick in Rd2. Don't tell anybody.

Sure, just like whatever defender we draft would play offense for us.

RB may not be the biggest need for Oakland, but no way we pass on Fadden I love the pick.
No possible way a team can pass on this guy unless they're already 3 deep at RB. We're not even one deep right now. Monster pick for us if it happens.

Jordan is gone at the end of the year cause of money and his back keeps on acting up on him..they will try to trade him and if they cant do that they will release him..

Rhodes has been a bust from the get go..he is gone..

Fargas is a nice change of back ..but he is a FA so never know what is gonna happen with that..

Bush is coming off a broken leg ..and they dont know what there getting from him..and he is cheap..and if he can come back then you got the next great running back tandem..and you got yourself the next Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen rushing attack..

He is the BPA and the raiders would be stupid to pass on him cause just thinking of McFadden and Russell is just crazy and McFadden is a play maker witch oklands offense is REALY lackin..
What he said.

I kinda hope Chis Long weighs in closer to 270, though. That'd be just enough to push him past the Jets.

treyskins
11-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Like the Redskins pick in the mock but i think Harvey will be too undersized to play as a starter.
Bet the Skins take a hard look at cornerback as springs is on his way out,rogers recovering from injury and smoot never stays fit for long.
I would be surprised if they took a wideout, most likely a free agent would be brought in to replace lloyd.

MNRunLeft
11-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Scott Nice Mock the way things are here in Minnesota I don't think it's much a a secret that QB is a real position of need for the Vikings this off-season. Just wanted to know what you feel seperates Ryan, Brohm and Woodson, I always see them ranked very close Brohm and Woodson probably having a little more physical tools but Ryan having the intangibles is that really the only difference between the 3?

Scott Wright
11-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey Scott Nice Mock the way things are here in Minnesota I don't think it's much a a secret that QB is a real position of need for the Vikings this off-season. Just wanted to know what you feel seperates Ryan, Brohm and Woodson, I always see them ranked very close Brohm and Woodson probably having a little more physical tools but Ryan having the intangibles is that really the only difference between the 3?

I think Ryan has better physical tools than Brohm but not as good as Woodson. Ryan is the safe choice, Woodson is the boom or bust guy with the most upside and Brohm probably falls somewhere in between.

BigJohn98
11-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Scott, if the Jags draft an offensive lineman instead of defensive end like in your mock, who would you see them taking?

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 10:43 AM
BOO the cowboys picking Reggie Smith, if they add a player who can play competently at safety we won't be able to abuse the Shockey/Roy Williams match up as often, BOOO

shawn
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
let me put it this way, calias cambell is a freak of nature, but i see him as a pure 4-3 de. and considering arizona is running a hybrid defense, i'm not sure how well he would fit in.

kenny philips or malcolm jenkins may have been better picks

theogt
11-17-2007, 10:56 AM
As you said Hamlin is on a one-year deal and he really isn't a coverage-type. However, even if they do re-sign him Smith can provide the depth they need at cornerback, which is the position he is playing this year for the Sooners.Actually, according to K.C. Joyner, before his head injury Hamlin was one of the best coverage safeties in the league. He had an average (not bad, but average) season in 2006, but there was a question as to whether that was a result of his injury or the Seahawks' defense sucking all around.

Mike Holmgren actually stated that if he knew he would have signed a one year deal he would have re-signed him to see if he was going to return to form.

By all accounts, he has returned to form. He's playing like one of the better coverage safeties in the NFL.

NGSeiler
11-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Scott, solid pick for the Rams with Jake Long. I'm not a huge, huge fan of taking a lineman there if he isn't considered one of those elite left tackle prospects, but Alex Barron has been mediocre in the NFL to date so the Rams could certainly use a boost at RT if Long ends up having to play there.

Did you consider DE Chris Long for them as well, though? He's a guy a number of Rams fans are craving on the end of that line next to UT Carriker and NT Ryan. Defensive end is clearly a spot the Rams need to address somewhere early because Leonard Little has not been anywhere near as productive as a sack artist as he has been in past years, and the only time you can really appreciate his effort at this point is when he's not on the field and no one even comes close to the QB.

Moses
11-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I think the futile Jets will have a hard time passing on McFadden if he's available. He's the best player in the draft at this point and they could use a new weapon on offence.

Too early for Laurinaitis even though I do think he has top 10 potential.

I'm not sold on the Panthers investing a first rounder in a defensive player who will play only 50% of the snaps. They already have two young linebackers so I bet they fill that need in free agency or later in the draft.

Derrick Harvey takes quite the fall in this mock. I'm not sure he could fall that far.

Barring an unforeseen injury or Ryan Grant playing terribly the rest of the season, I think the Packers stay away from running backs during the draft, especially during the first day. They have a stable of young guys back there already. Cornerback is likely the pick there, although it wouldn't blow my mind if they tried a safety.

TACKLE
11-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I really like the Jeff Otah pick. I have had him going to the Steelers in my mock for the last to week's. He really fits their style of play and I think is one of the most underrated players in this draft.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Actually, according to K.C. Joyner, before his head injury Hamlin was one of the best coverage safeties in the league. He had an average (not bad, but average) season in 2006, but there was a question as to whether that was a result of his injury or the Seahawks' defense sucking all around.

Mike Holmgren actually stated that if he knew he would have signed a one year deal he would have re-signed him to see if he was going to return to form.

By all accounts, he has returned to form. He's playing like one of the better coverage safeties in the NFL.

did you seriously cite kc joyner when discussing something that can't be tracked with stats, like coverage? Hamlin makes plays and supports well, but he's not great in coverage and isn't an ideal fit to play centerfield for a team.

Marion Barber III 24
11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Good picks for Dallas.

But, I don't see Henry moving to Safety. Dallas will re-sign Ken Hamlin at the end of the season.

mqtirishfan
11-17-2007, 07:29 PM
let me put it this way, calias cambell is a freak of nature, but i see him as a pure 4-3 de. and considering arizona is running a hybrid defense, i'm not sure how well he would fit in.

kenny philips or malcolm jenkins may have been better picks

I was thinking the same thing. The Cardinals have Adrian Wilson, Antrel Rolle and nothing else. Hell, you could argue that Rolle is nothing as well. If Jenkins fell into their laps, I don't see them passing on him.

I wouldn't complain if Green Bay took Slaton, but I'd much rather see a CB. As good as the defense has been, the nickel spot has been suspect, and we have no depth past the starters.

theogt
11-17-2007, 09:02 PM
did you seriously cite kc joyner when discussing something that can't be tracked with stats, like coverage? Hamlin makes plays and supports well, but he's not great in coverage and isn't an ideal fit to play centerfield for a team.Uhh...coverage can be tracked by stats. Yards per attempt, completion percentage, etc.

Iamcanadian
11-17-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't like this mock especially the top 5 picks. McFadden will never get past the Jets. NY is a publicity orientated market where name recognition means a lot. They cannot score points and would never take a DE(a secondary position) in a 3-4 defense over the top offensive skill player in the draft.
I will also be shocked if at least 1 of the QB's doesn't finish the season ranked in the top 5, maybe even 2 There are a lot of teams out there who are desperate to find a QB.
I would find it hard to believe that a team will be willing to pay both Dorsey or Long 30+ million in guaranteed $$$'s to be the #1 and #2 picks. JMO!!!

bigboiajhawk
11-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Look at how many teams passed up Adrian Peterson and wished they hadnt, I dont think this year McFadden will fall as much as AP did last year

Draft King
11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Something I noticed in your rankings Scott, you have Aqib Talib listed playing for Penn St. instead of Kansas. In the actual mock you have it right though.

AlexDown
11-17-2007, 11:51 PM
No possible way a team can pass on this guy unless they're already 3 deep at RB. We're not even one deep right now. Monster pick for us if it happens.

Didn't you say the same thing about their WR situation in regards to CJ?

Crow
11-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Didn't you say the same thing about their WR situation in regards to CJ?
Our team is run by an imbecile. There's simply no accounting for that. I think we'll live to regret that error.

fenikz
11-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Where do you think the Cards would player Campbell in the 3-4 at DE? he and Dockett would cause some havoc coming from both ends with Watson devouring the middle.

Leon Sandcastle
11-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Absolutely love the pick of Malcolm Kelly to the Bills. Great stuff Scotty.

Seasonticketholder
11-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I disagree. Malcolm is arguably the best DB in this years draft. Secondly Roman Harper is a great young safety that you already have. What the saints need is better matchups against WR to lighten the S work. I think Malcolm Jenkins is a great pick there if still on the board.

Exactly! Jenkins is a fanstastic prospect and the definition of a playmaker. He plays the run just as well as he plays the pass. He would be the ideal pick for the Saints.

oldLibid21
11-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Falcons pick make sense. I haven't seen one mock draft where we didn't take Brohm though. I wasn't really expecting you to change your opinion though, Scott, but what do you think of the Falcons trading down?

And do you think if we trade down that we can get Michael Oher IF he declares?

Race for the Heisman
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I like probably 28 of the 32 picks in this mock. Everything seems logical and falls into place nice. Out of the four I'm not so sold on, Cherilus to Chicago, as other Bears fans have already voiced, is the pick the churns my stomach the most. He just doesn't look like a left tackle, and I'd rather take someone with higher left tackle potential (Baker) than someone stronger but with worse footwork/pass-blocking.

Babylon
11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I like probably 28 of the 32 picks in this mock. Everything seems logical and falls into place nice. Out of the four I'm not so sold on, Cherilus to Chicago, as other Bears fans have already voiced, is the pick the churns my stomach the most. He just doesn't look like a left tackle, and I'd rather take someone with higher left tackle potential (Baker) than someone stronger but with worse footwork/pass-blocking.

I actually think Cherilis has real good footwork but lacks bigtime strength.

MicktheGreat
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
As much as it may make sense, I just don't think that the Titans will take Limas Sweed (or any WR for that matter) in the 1st round. Fisher wants a run-first, defensive, time-control team; so WRs become less important than in other offenses. As usual, I think the Titans will draft a couple of mid-to-late round WRs and hope that one of them pans out -- I'm not saying that's what they should do, that's just been their pattern in recent years.

I think it's much more likely that the Titans go DL in the 1st round, as they continue to improve their DEF. Both Antwan Odom and Travis LaBoy could be gone after this season, which would make DE a priority. Also, the Titans still haven't re-signed Haynesworth -- if he left, there would be a gaping hole at DT.

Using this particular mock-draft's scenario, I think it's much more likely that the Titans take either DE Vernon Gholston or DE Quentin Groves with their first round pick. Or...depending on what happens with Haynesworth, I could see the Titans taking DT Frank Okam (if he somehow slipped) or maybe trading down and nabbing someone like DT Marcus Harrison or DT Red Bryant.

If they trade down, I could even see them drafting a TE like John Carlson; after all, Ben Troupe hasn't lived up to expectations and Bo Scaife is better-suited as a #2 TE.

bigboiajhawk
11-20-2007, 04:44 AM
MicktheGreat makes up a great point about the Titans taking Vernon Gholston, if he declares for the draft, I dont understand how he does not make it into the first round. If I am correct he is one of the strongest players on the whole Ohio State team and he pretty much had his way against the the Michigan offensive line this week including the great, Jake Long, note the sarcasm. Personally, in big games, including last year when Michigan played USC, I thought Jake Long looked so so, I am not an expert but that is my belief, I feel that anyone who takes him is getting another Robert Gallery, I guess only time will tell but that is how i feel.

Caddy
11-20-2007, 05:12 AM
I disagree with the Sam Baker to TB pick. Donald Penn has played really well for them and they think he has a future as there LT. Luke Petitgout is cheap and his injury was less severe then a typical blown knee. Petitgout and Penn give them youth, experience, and depth. LT is not a need.

Better picks for TB are:

Whilst Baker mightn't be the best pick, it is still better than any that you listed. CB isn't an instant need and can easily be satisfied in the 2nd or 3rd round where Cover 2 guys are often taken. Derrick Harvey is a luxury which can't be afforded and with the emergence of Greg White, DE isn't as big of a need as it may seem. And Douglas just doesn't present value in the 1st round to me making that pick void.

dbtb135
11-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Whilst Baker mightn't be the best pick, it is still better than any that you listed. CB isn't an instant need and can easily be satisfied in the 2nd or 3rd round where Cover 2 guys are often taken. Derrick Harvey is a luxury which can't be afforded and with the emergence of Greg White, DE isn't as big of a need as it may seem. And Douglas just doesn't present value in the 1st round to me making that pick void.

Bingo. Penn is Anthony Davis V 2.0 only he pass blocks, but can't run block. IE: He's a stopgap. Davis was also a 2nd year guy who was signed off the PS, given a shot to play LT, did so at an average/sometimes above average level, and was replaced when they could get an upgrade. Petitgout's injury might not be that awful, but it's still the 2nd straight season he's ended his year early in his 30s. This isn't some 6-8 week knee injury, he's down for about 6-7 months if he's lucky. Harvey is a Gaines clone in the form of an edge rusher to play RDE, and neither of them fits our LDE position very well. So thats a bad pick. Douglas, I agree, isn't a 1st rounder. I'd like him as a 2nd though.

Baker just presents the biggest combination of value and need. I can't see how anyone can strongly disagree with that. Sure, there might be one or two guys you could make an argument for as better picks. But this still would be a good one.

Race for the Heisman
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I actually think Cherilis has real good footwork but lacks bigtime strength.

I've seen a couple BC games, namely VT and FSU, obviously not the greatest games for BC but it seemed like Chris Ellis(?) turned him inside out against VT and Ryan was constantly sliding in the pocket against FSU, although admittedly some of that is him and some of that is the other linemen. Just seems like a similar situation to Gholston v Long, except Ellis is a much less accomplished player and athlete than Gholston. I'll have to try and watch more to get a better idea but his footwork seemed lacking to me.

JT Jag
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Scott, I really like the Gholston pick. With Bobby McCray suddenly falling off the map for unexplained reasons, the Jaguars are missing the explosive and consistent edge rusher they need so badly. The Jag secondary is solid and at times very good and has several playmakers, but sometimes it's exposed by being forced to cover a second or two too long.

I just don't like Harvey for us. He's an all-potential guy--- he produced a lot last year but he's really sagging this season. Plus he's horrible against the run, which is a BIG no-no when it comes to us.

JAlexander
11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
If the Bucs get Baker (or Cherilus) and team him up with Sears, Joseph and Trueblood that would be an amazing O-line for a long time.

DiG
11-23-2007, 02:07 PM
As a skins fan I'm personally not sold on Harvey. I'd much rather have Gholston, Jenkins, Sweed, or Talib.

CC.SD
11-23-2007, 02:13 PM
It's time for Scott to take a longer look at the Chargers.

They still have critical weaknesses at Safety and Right Tackle, IMO. An heir to Jamal Williams in the first round is a serious luxury for a team with no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick.