PDA

View Full Version : Workout Warriors

foozball
11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Which players will jump up higher than expected due to their workout numbers?

Charles Godfrey
Dre Moore
Tavares Gooden
Joe Fields

Anyone else?

Tampa 2 4 life
11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Mike Jenkins will probably run a 4.3, bumping him up significantly.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 06:07 PM
On the reverse side, see Antoine Cason taking a Daymeion Hughes (not that bad) fall due to him running around a 4.55.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
On the reverse side, see Antoine Cason taking a Daymeion Hughes (not that bad) fall due to him running around a 4.55.

I think Cason is pretty fast and i doubt he is going to run less than expected but i predict Talib is going to run slower than most think.

I do think it's a good topic though, some guys train for the combine and work out better than others then get to the league and cant play. Vernon Davis was a workout freak and he cant get seperation on a football field, Mike Mamula was a workout wonder and never amounted to anything and it is starting to look the same for Matt Jones. Give me football players with heart and it will make up for a lot of short comings.

Solomon
11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Mike Jenkins will probably run a 4.3, bumping him up significantly.

Really? I had no idea he was that fast.

Guys who I think will rise after workouts that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jonathan Stewart
Jamaal Charles
Lavelle Hawkins
Fred Davis

Demarrio Pressley
Frank Okam
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Quentin Groves
Marcus Richardson
Glenn Sharpe

Tampa 2 4 life
11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Really? I had no idea he was that fast.

On his KR TD this year, he just went to the sideline and sprinted. Nobody could keep up with him, the man has some speed.

no love
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Vernon Davis was a workout freak and he cant get seperation on a football field, Mike Mamula was a workout wonder and never amounted to anything and it is starting to look the same for Matt Jones. Give me football players with heart and it will make up for a lot of short comings.

Vernon Davis' freakness shows up on Sundays, but his qb hardly gets him the ball. He gets plenty of seperation and has been a good run blocker with his strength. He has had his fair share of injuries, but when he is healthy, he plays at a high level. He wasn't your typical workout warrior because he put up some monster numbers for a tight end in college.

Now certain guys like Calais Campbell will probably post some great combine numbers, but everyone will expect them to come out and play at a high level. But he is very inconsistent and you can't expect him to come in start. Calais will have some big expectations, but he just is so inconsistent with his leverage (he plays high too often).

Btw I find it funny that Mike Mamula's workout isn't even that special when you compare him todays combine times. Manny Lawson would have been a number 1 overall pick with his combine numbers at DE.

San Diego Chicken
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will blow all of the other CB's out of the water with his workout numbers.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Vernon Davis' freakness shows up on Sundays, but his qb hardly gets him the ball. He gets plenty of seperation and has been a good run blocker with his strength. He has had his fair share of injuries, but when he is healthy, he plays at a high level. He wasn't your typical workout warrior because he put up some monster numbers for a tight end in college.

Now certain guys like Calais Campbell will probably post some great combine numbers, but everyone will expect them to come out and play at a high level. But he is very inconsistent and you can't expect him to come in start. Calais will have some big expectations, but he just is so inconsistent with his leverage (he plays high too often).

Btw I find it funny that Mike Mamula's workout isn't even that special when you compare him todays combine times. Manny Lawson would have been a number 1 overall pick with his combine numbers at DE.

Remember with Mamula it was a dozen years ago, even today someone 6-4 and 260 running a 4.6 and benching what the offensive lineman bench would still be pretty amazing. As for Davis you're right about the QB situation there being a problem.

Man_Of_Steel
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Mr. Bigarms OSU LB VG will def impress in workouts.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Mr. Bigarms OSU LB VG will def impress in workouts.

Hopefully he shows up tommorrow, he was AWOL last week.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 07:08 PM
TE Fred Davis from USC will end up doing a Vernon Davis move up on draft boards with a sick time.

etk
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Darnell Jenkins
Kellen Davis
Tom Santi
Vernon Gholston
Shawn Crable
Wesley Woodyard
Aqib Talib
Jamal Lewis

Babylon
11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
TE Fred Davis from USC will end up doing a Vernon Davis move up on draft boards with a sick time.

He plays like a 4.65 guy, you think he runs faster than that?

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 07:18 PM
He plays like a 4.65 guy, you think he runs faster than that?

I think he will run as fast as Greg Olsen. He was a receiver before Pete Carroll moved him to TE. I see him running along the lines of Greg Olsen in the 4.45-4.5 range.

BufFan71
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Hugh Charles HB Colorado
will run in the 4.3's
will do around 27-30 bench reps

5'11 185lbs

Smokey Joe
11-16-2007, 07:49 PM
anyone from Maryland...

ironman4579
11-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Shawn Crable for sure IMO. I have little doubt he's going to run a sub 4.6 40, but I'm honestly thinking it will be alot closer to 4.5 than 4.6.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I think he will run as fast as Greg Olsen. He was a receiver before Pete Carroll moved him to TE. I see him running along the lines of Greg Olsen in the 4.45-4.5 range.

He was a receiver probably 40 lbs ago, for his sake i hope he runs in that range.

PACKmanN
11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Dennis Dixon
Yvenson Bernard
Steve Slaton
Donnie Avery
Andre Caldwell
Darrell Strong
Kellen Davis
Chris Brown
Kirk Barton
Beau Bell
Bobbie Williams

BamaFalcon59
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
anyone from Maryland...

Co-signed.

jbeans187
11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
What about Brian Witherspoon, he was in scotts blog a few days ago

kwilk103
11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
owen schmitt?

jbeans187
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM

If for some reason he runs a bad 40 at the combine, people shouldnt forget he runs track too, so he has some serious wheels

ironman4579
11-17-2007, 04:11 PM
If for some reason he runs a bad 40 at the combine, people shouldnt forget he runs track too, so he has some serious wheels

Kind of depends actually. What's his event(s)?

jbeans187
11-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Kind of depends actually. What's his event(s)?

i believe the 100m and 200m, so he is in good shape

ironman4579
11-17-2007, 04:15 PM
i believe the 100m and 200m, so he is in good shape

Good deal. I was thinking if it was like the 400 or the 800, those are more endurance+speed than just straight speed events. But the 100 and 200 seems like it would put him in good shape.

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 05:59 PM
anyone from Maryland...

Moore and Heyward WR

scottyboy
11-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Eric Foster will leap into day 1 with an impressive combine. His speed, agility, jumping ability and pure athleticism will be revealed at the combine

skinzzfan25
11-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Moore and Heyward WR

+ Henderson at LB

All 3 are physical specimens at their position.

Shame we were terrible this year...

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Add Kyle Wright at QB from the U.

Horrid coaching, horrid OL and worse WR his 4 year career. They ruined him but ..... if you just look at him throw the ball in the pocket. Looks like the a Pro QB.

To me he needs some TLC and real QB Coach. Not that crap Coker and the new bozo.

Babylon
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Add Kyle Wright at QB from the U.

Horrid coaching, horrid OL and worse WR his 4 year career. They ruined him but ..... if you just look at him throw the ball in the pocket. Looks like the a Pro QB.

To me he needs some TLC and real QB Coach. Not that crap Coker and the new bozo.

You look at him and Rhett Bomar, who is now at Sam Houston state, and you'd think they should be John Elway. They'll get a shot but need to be good between the ears not just throwing and running.

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
You look at him and Rhett Bomar, who is now at Sam Houston state, and you'd think they should be John Elway. They'll get a shot but need to be good between the ears not just throwing and running.

I agree but we are talking "workout guys" so ......

In so far as QBs go .... Wright is more talented physically then any of the clowns projecting in the first round.

Bomar is short I think. Wright is 6'4.

Personally, all these QBs look like crap to me so rather take a chance in the 4th round and develop then go first round still develop ....

Babylon
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I agree but we are talking "workout guys" so ......

In so far as QBs go .... Wright is more talented physically then any of the clowns projecting in the first round.

Bomar is short I think. Wright is 6'4.

Personally, all these QBs look like crap to me so rather take a chance in the 4th round and develop then go first round still develop ....

Bomar is about 6-3 and has always run sub 4.6, on a somewhat unrelated subject i think they threw him under the bus there at Oklahoma.

neko4
11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's a list of potential workout warriors
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mmd/roster;_ylt=AruMGle10S.UJOsJvSbC2H6W1LYF

Turtlepower
11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Bomar is about 6-3 and has always run sub 4.6, on a somewhat unrelated subject i think they threw him under the bus there at Oklahoma.

Because Oklahoma told him to work at a car dealership, on a somewhat unrelated subject.

Babylon
11-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Because Oklahoma told him to work at a car dealership, on a somewhat unrelated subject.

I'm quite aware of the whole situation there, my point is they seem to be a little more tolerable of drug users and assaulters on these campuses these days. You seem a little more cranky than usual tonight, your teams must have lost today.

wvfan14
11-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Schmitt and maybe Reynaud from WV.

fenikz
11-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Gooden is the perfect candidate for a work out warrior, he could jump as high as mid 2nd to late 1st

Marcus Monk will be one just because he hasn't been able to play all year

draftguru151
11-18-2007, 09:52 AM
If someone drafts Kyle Wright they should be fired on the spot. He doesn't even have the physical tools he used to, he doesn't throw with a lot of zip and his long balls are awful. If a team wants to take a crappy QB with tools they can take Morell.

Primetime21
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Schmitt and maybe Reynaud from WV.

He will be the Chris Henry for WRs this year. But Darius also has shown his skills on the gridion consistently unlike Henry.

T-Rat42
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Jonathan Stewart from Oregon. He's squated more pounds than anyone else in the history of the school. For a running back thats pretty ridiculous. I think this will cause him to jump from late first round to mid first round.

junior2430
11-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico. He and Reggie Bush faced off twice in sprints in HS. Each one once.

Moses
11-21-2007, 01:48 AM
A few 1st round guys I think will have big combines:

Calais Campbell - He might not blow anybody away with his sprints or lifts, but just his measurements and the eyeball test will move his stock up.

Sedrick Ellis - Last year he pushed up 225 on the bench 42 times. He'll do at least that at the combine I'm guessing. STRONG.

DeSean Jackson - High 4.3 40 time at worst I'm guessing. Can he hit low 4.3s or even 4.2?

Jonathan Stewart - He's going to impress in everything. Eyeball test, measurements, lifts, jumps, sprints, you name it. I'm expecting a big rise from him after the season.

Vernon Gholston - Obviously a top-tier athlete. Likely will put up Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware type combine numbers. One of those freakish all-around athletes.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Desean ran in the high 4.2's sophmore year.It'll be interesting to see what he runs at the combine.

Turtlepower
11-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Desean ran in the high 4.2's sophmore year.It'll be interesting to see what he runs at the combine.

Remember when every OSU fan was saying that Ted Ginn would run something like a 4.1...

kwilk103
11-21-2007, 03:28 AM
He will be the Chris Henry for WRs this year. But Darius also has shown his skills on the gridion consistently unlike Henry.

reynaud is eligable to return if he graduates on time, by which all accounts are he will

same with johnny dingle; they were both partial qualifiers

reynaud squats like 700 and runs in the mid 4.45, also good after the catch; i bet it depends on where hes projected to get drafted and if slaton goes; if he stays, wvu would prob be the favorites next year

schmitt will put up decent numbers too----runs like a 4.65, and is tough as nails---he hit himself in the head 3x with his own helmet

draftguru151
11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Remember when every OSU fan was saying that Ted Ginn would run something like a 4.1...

Ted Ginn ran in the 4.3s with a bum foot. I don't know about 4.1s, but he likely would have run in the 4.2s.

BufFan71
11-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Hugh Charles
152carries 820yds 5.4 avg 5tds
23rec 200yds 8.7avg 1td
*Missed 2 games*
5'8 190lbs
http://www.chieftain.com/archive/2005/oct/2/sptCOLORADOOKLAHOMAST.jpg

he'll run in the 4.3's and do like 30 bench reps....
scout.com had an article talking about how he was pound for pound prob the strongest person in the NCAA

lionsfan81
11-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Kellen Freeman-Davis MSU

6 6 with everything you want looking at a TE. Looks like a Kellen Winslow clone. The only thing is he plays inconsistent and looks stiff running routes to me. Not the best blocker and has average hands. Will get drafted higher just based on how he looks with his shirt off.

Vikes99ej
11-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Kellen Freeman-Davis MSU

6 6 with everything you want looking at a TE. Looks like a Kellen Winslow clone. The only thing is he plays inconsistent and looks stiff running routes to me. Not the best blocker and has average hands. Will get drafted higher just based on how he looks with his shirt off.

Coolest thing I've heard today :)

Sniper
11-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Jonathan Stewart from Oregon. He's squated more pounds than anyone else in the history of the school. For a running back thats pretty ridiculous. I think this will cause him to jump from late first round to mid first round.

Second best clean in school history behind Haloti Ngata, I believe.

Matthew Jones
11-24-2007, 08:40 AM

I believe Antoine Cason has ran a 4.55 before so I would be more surprised if he ran in the 4.4s rather than the 4.5s.