PDA

View Full Version : What are the Pats going to do with their top 5 pick?

T.Smith
11-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I have been wondering a lot lately what the pats are going to do with their pick. They could go in so many directions, some people have then taking Mcfadden, but I don't believe that will happen,others have them taking a CB, or linebackers, and I even heard one rumor of them taking a WR to replace Stallworth.

I really think it comes down to if they resign Assante Samuel(opinions on this subject?) But even if they don't, would they really pick 2 1st round CB's in a row(Meriweather)

I am just confused, someone give me some clarity.

Gridiron
11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
If McFadden is available there's no way they pass on him.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Completely agree with that logic. They like to rub it into people's faces that they are the Pats, so why not take McFadden.

T.Smith
11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Completely agree with that logic. They like to rub it into people's faces that they are the Pats, so why not take McFadden.

Because of this guy named Laurence Maroney.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Because of this guy named Laurence Maroney.

Chester Taylor ran for over 1,200 yards last year and who did the Vikings pick? Oh yeah, Adrian Peterson.

T.Smith
11-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Chester Taylor ran for over 1,200 yards last year and who did the Vikings pick? Oh yeah, Adrian Peterson.
Maroney is only in his second year though, there is a big difference.

Turtlepower
11-16-2007, 09:48 PM

I understand that and I'm not saying that are drafting McFadden as a replacement, but just as a compliment. Yeah, Laurenitas or possibly Chris Long fit better, but I feel they will. Just my personal opinion and I completely understand how it can blow up in my face.

Babylon
11-16-2007, 10:01 PM

I think they like Maroney there and they're a passing team that only runs to keep defenses honest. the Pats strategy lately seems to consist of moving down a little and garnering extra picks. Whatever they do it will be hard to argue with as they seem to do all the right things.

A Perfect Score
11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
If mcfadden falls, its him. If not, the pick is either kenny phillips or malcolm jenkins. Mcfadden shouldnt fall that far. im leaning towards phillips, seeing as rodney harrison is getting older and that way meriweather can move to CB full time if and when asante samuel leaves. Jenkins gives them the same option, except he can play safety or CB same as meriweather so he gives them mroe versatility. I think the pick is either mcfadden or a DB. Laurenitas is a bad pick for them IMO, doesnt fit teh scheme, cant take on blocks, doesnt fit outside, no dice with him.

OzTitan
11-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I think it will be a defender myself.

I do wonder though if the Pats won't try to trade it. They're not accustomed to paying a lot of money for a rookie like they may have to with the 49ers pick. I think they're healthy cap wise but they have a few reasonably important players who may be looking for a new deal so I'm not sure they'd tie up a fair amount of cap space in a rookie.

toonsterwu
11-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I think McFadden would definitely be an option. The reason being that Maroney has been banged up the last couple years.

That being said, I think their top option is to deal down. These being the Pats, I think they would be more open to various combinations, rather than demanding just picks this year. I could see them willing to take picks in 09's draft to balance out a deal.

I think option 2, assuming Asante Samuel is gone, is DB. I still think Meriweather is better off at S, but either way, they could use a top DB.

I think the 3rd option would be an edge guy.

Oaktown1981
11-17-2007, 12:00 AM
They will prob trade down and stock pile on picks that they don't need.

BroadwayJoe10
11-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I think there are a number of picks that make sense. The way that i look at it is as follows; as a jets fan, who would be the one person I would least like to see twice a year. Personally, it is quentin groves.

I don't think that their offense has any trouble scoring points right now and it's not that anyone is more talented, becuase they aren't, but taking a back that high in the draft you have to put a lot of money into them. That is money i think could be better spent. Thus, the pick i feel would be quentin groves. He could add more to the team at this very point than I think mcfadden could. Right now, the offense is good, explosive, and relatively young. THe defense is the worse half of the team (not that they are bad by any means, they are fantastic. I just think they pale a little in comparison to the offense). Basically, I think opting for groves will help replenish an aging lb corp as well as providing a great help to the pass rush.

Edit: I think most people who dont have 1 glaring need in the top part of the draft would love to trade down, but there has to be a team willing to trade up that feels they can't get a particular player later in the draft. I just don't necessarily see that team right now, but a few months can change a lot of things.

toonsterwu
11-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I really don't see Quentin Groves as the top edge guy off the board as of now. I think if folks considered Harvey an edge guy (I'm iffy on if the Pats would think about him that way), he would be top as of now, with Gholston nearby. I think Crable might be about on the same level, if not slightly ahead, of Groves. That said, if Groves does run a 4.4 time, he'll definitely move up. Just not sold that he'd move to become top 5 worthy.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I think we'd all agree that the Pats most desperately need a shot in the arm for their linebacking corps, but I really don't think that any linebacker (or hybrid rusher) will be considered worth top 5 money come April.

So, looking at the players that will be available, and assuming that the Pats cannot trade down (at least probably not for proper value), I see a cornerback, a defensive lineman, or a runningback. Defensive line is a bit of a value pick considering the likelihood of 3 or 4 defensive linemen going in the top 10, but should some lineman blow the scouting department away (Chris Long is probably the best candidate of doing so), I wouldn't rule it out. If Asante Samuel leaves, I think that a corner like Malcolm Jenkins is the most obvious pick.

As for the McFadden deal, I think it's a distinct possibility. However, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the Pats paying the tab for two 1st round runningbacks. Even when they built their wide receiver heavy offense for this season, they made sure to have carefully structured and generally short contracts. We may see a situation where McFadden ends up being the highest payed player of this draft (or at least trying to be) even if he doesn't go #1, so I have a hard time seeing the Pats go for that.

etk
11-17-2007, 08:08 AM
1. Darren McFadden
2. Kenny Phillips
3. Reach for a LB

Sveen
11-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Obviously it still remains to see where they will end up picking, but looking at the 49ers so far it's likely it will end up being in the top 5.

Assuming Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey both are gone this is what I see happening as of today.

1. Trade down.
2. Chris Long
3. LB/DB

MaxV
11-17-2007, 08:52 AM
I hope 49ers go on a winning streak.

Crow
11-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah. If he's there, it's a done deal.

If he's off the board, Jake Long and Kenny Phillips make a lot of sense.

Trading back, if they can find a partner, is probably the most likely scenario.

Travis 24
11-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I can't really see them passing up Kenny Phillips...Rodney Harrison is not gonna play forever...Plus that would re-unite Phillips and Meriweather.

Addict
11-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I can't really see them passing up Kenny Phillips...Rodney Harrison is not gonna play forever...Plus that would re-unite Phillips and Meriweather.

Same goes for a linebacker.... They could use the youth.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-17-2007, 01:56 PM

from what i gather, they were best friends at Miami, but i don't know if that is something that would make the Pats finalize there decision. The main thing would be that Phillips is a great saftey prospect, an area that they could use an upgrade and Rodney replacement. Phillips wouldn't shock me.

jbeans187
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM

I do wonder though if the Pats won't try to trade it. They're not accustomed to paying a lot of money for a rookie like they may have to with the 49ers pick. I think they're healthy cap wise but they have a few reasonably important players who may be looking for a new deal so I'm not sure they'd tie up a fair amount of cap space in a rookie.

I couldnt agree more. They dont really need a de but if they used the pick i could see Chris Long as a prototypical Patriot, if not Lauranitus, to help the aging lb corps

keylime_5
11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
They don't need Campbell, C. Long, or Dorsey (who doesn't fit their scheme). They'll take either McFadden, Jake Long, Phillips, Jenkins, or maybe Laurinaitis or Gholston depending on their workouts and stock rise/fall. I don't think Phillips, Jenkins, or JL should be top 5 picks-top ten yes, but not top 5. Though this won't matter b/c NE has very few needs, but ILB and DB are both needs so they can reach for a guy if they want, or take McFadden to give Brady some more run support. Maroney was a 1st round pick for them, but he gets hurt a lot and isn't as good as McFAdden could be, so they'd definitely take RunDMc over anyone else IMO.

keylime_5
11-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Obviously it still remains to see where they will end up picking, but looking at the 49ers so far it's likely it will end up being in the top 5.

Assuming Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey both are gone this is what I see happening as of today.

1. Trade down.
2. Chris Long
3. LB/DB

Glenn Dorsey has no business in a 3-4. I think he'd fail there and would only be a mediocre DE or a horrible NT. They'd have Chris Long and Calais Campbell higher on their board than Dorsey, he's not THAT good of a prospect even if he will be a top 5 pick this year. New England has the advantage that they can pick whichever player they want even if it is a slight reach like Laurinaitis, Phillips, or Jenkins.

11-17-2007, 04:06 PM

thats just not fair. from top to bottom they are such a savvy organization that can outsmart teams like the niners and put themselves in unbelievable situations for a team this good where they have the chance to take the best player in the draft.

toonsterwu
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't say they outsmarted the Niners. A lot of people, including myself, praised the Niners last year. They looked like a team that was potentially on the verge of becoming a playoff caliber squad, and it was nice to see them get aggressive and land someone they wanted. Granted, they probably would've preferred to land Bowe, but landing a intriguing LT prospect like Staley was a worthwhile gamble (well, at least, I thought it was, as I've never been impressed by Jonas Jennings). Add in that they recouped a first, and all looked rosy. It just didn't work out for them this year, but I don't think they were outsmarted.

cowboysforever
11-17-2007, 05:37 PM
They will go LB or CB.

Hope it turns into Desmond Howard II.

lod01
11-17-2007, 06:55 PM

Doubtful. Not a Belicheck type move. It will be a trade down with some sucker and make them look foolish as they overpay for a top 5 and the Pats school them. THAT is a Belicheck move.

Babylon
11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Would they trade that high pick to Dallas, who lets assume would want McFadden, for the Cowboys 2 number ones? Then with the two number ones they could take some combination of LB/CB/OT/S.

bruschis4all
11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
If he isn't taken. I can see the Pats taking J.Long. He can protect Brady's blindside for the rest of TB's career. Would allow them to move Light to RT.
I can see McFadden if they can't find a partner to trade down with.

Don't really need an olb. Have Vrabel and Colvin(1 more year) and can slide A.Thomas outside when Rosie leaves. ILB's Connor and Laurinaitis aren't good enough to be taken that high. Need cb more than S. Original poster asked about Asante. He's gone. Have to keep Moss and re-do Stallworth contract. Get some space by releasing K.Washington. They'll look for a veteran cb whom will be cheaper than Samuel.

1. Keep pick. J.Long or D.McFadden. Looks line niners 4-12 at best. No sure wins on their sked any more. I doubt if they beat St.L tomorrow. So, it should be a Top 5 pick.

2. Trade down. I think a cb if trade down. Malcolm Jenkins if he comes out

Turtlepower
11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I would take Malcolm Jenkins with a top 5 pick if I had one. He is that good.

BrownsTown
11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
They'll trade up, take McFadden, sign him to a 15 year contract, and never play him. Just to mess with someone.

Turtlepower
11-17-2007, 08:37 PM
They'll trade up, take McFadden, sign him to a 15 year contract, and never play him. Just to mess with someone.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Just to be big, giant feminine products.

no love
11-18-2007, 02:18 AM
thats just not fair. from top to bottom they are such a savvy organization that can outsmart teams like the niners and put themselves in unbelievable situations for a team this good where they have the chance to take the best player in the draft.

I wouldn't say that their outsmarted the niners. Joe Staley looks like he has been pretty good this year and with his athleticism he can probably make the move and become the franchise LT.

asmitty45
11-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Its tough for me to see them going anywhere but Glen Dorsey. They take massive disruptive d-lineman and they usually turn into studs (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork) I think he is just the next in line.

McFadden would be interesting but i don't think they'll go for him, they don't usually take the sexy name.

Another thought is that they move the pick and do down to try and get Laurinitis, he would make more sense than dorsey anyways. They need a young LB cuz all of their current players are getting up their in age.

Iamcanadian
11-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Looking over their roster they have to be looking for replacements for Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison all impact defensive players. They will examine the top 5 guys to see if any can replace one of these guys and that is who they will draft. They dumped McGinest when he was getting up there and losing some skill and they'll dump one of these guys before they lose much more skill. They aren't going to allow all these starters to grow more ineffective together with age. One won't be on the team next year.

HoopsDemon12
11-18-2007, 11:05 AM

I do believe that they will try and trade it for a couple more picks.. of good qualitly... now that depends if they can find a suitor that wants to spend that much money and picks of course...

If they dont trade it.. i can see it being a defender for sure

Babylon
11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I would take Malcolm Jenkins with a top 5 pick if I had one. He is that good.

I totally agree with that move but they could probably trade down a bit and still get him, not too far though.

bruschis4all
11-18-2007, 08:18 PM
6 weeks left. But, that pick is at nr. 2 now. 4 teams have 2-8 records. SF has easies schedule by far. FYI to all of you Pat haters out there. NE also has Oakland's nr3. Which for all practical purposes is a late 2nd. One of the top picks on day one. And, one of the top picks on day two.

Yung Flippa
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I think they would go after a player for their secondary. Someone like Kenny Phillips and re-unite him with Brandon Meriweather.

bruschis4all
11-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I think they would go after a player for their secondary. Someone like Kenny Phillips and re-unite him with Brandon Meriweather.

Agree about db. But, if Samuel leaves. And, they will know by draft day. CB becomes a much bigger need than S. They'll have to keep Moss. Probably just not enough money to keep Asante too.

Babylon
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Did i read that right it's at #2 now? just what they need.

CARDIAC CAT 7
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
I think Chris Long would fit well with Warren and Seymour. Hes a versatile guy, who could spell Seymour as he begins to age. I think he could play 3-4 end, 4-3 end, 4-3 DT. He just seems like a Patriot to me. Honestly I think they will trade the pick, Honestly can you see them paying some unproven guy Top 5 money?

bruschis4all
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Did i read that right it's at #2 now? just what they need.

Yes. 4 teams at 2-9. Niners,Oak,Jets and St.L. San Fran has easiest sked.

Babylon
11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I think Chris Long would fit well with Warren and Seymour. Hes a versatile guy, who could spell Seymour as he begins to age. I think he could play 3-4 end, 4-3 end, 4-3 DT. He just seems like a Patriot to me. Honestly I think they will trade the pick, Honestly can you see them paying some unproven guy Top 5 money?

I agree on both counts, they'd love Chris Long(Dad was a Boston native for what that's worth) and they probably dont want to pay top 5 money although i dont know how that applies to todays salary cap. Knowing their history they'll probably get someone to bite on moving up with a top 10 pick and giving a #1 from next year.

BucSappy
11-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't understand why the Patriots would trade down from such a high pick. I mean playoff teams could only dream of drafting in the top 3.

Here is a rough Patriots mock. Remember, they do have 2nd and 3rd round picks, seems like most people just think of the first round in terms of draft strategy.

1. Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
2. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
3. Ben Moffitt ILB South Florida
4. Wesley Woodyard SS Kentucky
5. Nick Hayden DT Wisconsin (depth)
6. Fernando Velasco G/C Georgia (depth)
7. 7th round pick doesn't matter because he really doesn't stand a chance of making this football team.

So as you can see. They draft McFadden, then have 3 more potential starters in this draft in Godfrey, Moffitt, and Woodyard. What's wrong with that?

BucSappy
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
McFadden would be interesting but i don't think they'll go for him, they don't usually take the sexy name.

They don't take the "sexy name" because they never have a "sexy pick". Always picking at the end of the draft.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Chris Long seems like a very possible pick. Safe pick, they get an immediate contributer and most of all blue collared worker and leader. Versatility also a big selling point.

Babylon
11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't understand why the Patriots would trade down from such a high pick. I mean playoff teams could only dream of drafting in the top 3.

Here is a rough Patriots mock. Remember, they do have 2nd and 3rd round picks, seems like most people just think of the first round in terms of draft strategy.

1. Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
2. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
4. Wesley Woodyard SS Kentucky
5. Nick Hayden DT Wisconsin (depth)
6. Fernando Velasco G/C Georgia (depth)
7. 7th round pick doesn't matter because he really doesn't stand a chance of making this football team.

So as you can see. They draft McFadden, then have 3 more potential starters in this draft in Godfrey, Moffitt, and Woodyard. What's wrong with that?

That would be a heck of a draft but i dont think they go for Mcfadden when they are wanting to throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game. I dont know they arent happy with Maroney either.

P-L
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Not sure I buy Chris Long for them. First of all, I don't think he's a 3-4 DE. Even if you do project him as a 3-4 DE, there are monetary issues. They have Ty Warren locked up long term and both Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green are under contract through the 2009 season. Giving around $30 million guaranteed to a rotational player who won't play full-time until the third year of his contract is really stupid. Scott Pioli is the best in the business and he isn't that stupid. He'd take less to trade down before he gave Chris Long #2 overall money. If the Pats were able to trade down and Long fell to them, then I could probably see it.

However, I still don't buy his fit as a 3-4 DE. He has been rumored somewhere between 265-275 instead of his listed 285. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE in the pros, even if he does play there in college. He has shown to be an excellent pass rusher (12 sacks, 17 TFL) and he won't be able to use his pass rushing ability to it's fullest as a 3-4 DE.

If the Patriots' pick does end up at #2, which I suspect it will, I think I would look for them to trade down first and foremost. Even if they got a little less in return than the draft chart indicates, I think that will be their #1 goal. They could move from #2 to the #5-#10 range and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd or a 2009 1st Round pick. Should they fail to move down from #2, I see two options. Those are Darren McFadden and Jake Long. I would lean towards Jake Long myself. The Pats have proven that they aren't afraid to reach for OL guys when they selected Logan Mankins at least 30-40 picks before he was projected. Matt Light is getting older each year at LT and Nick Kaczur is the only 'weak link' of the line at RT. Jake is an elite RT prospect who many people think could be a great LT prospect. McFadden doesn't make a lot of sense, but he would definitely be the best value for their team at that point. The Pats seem to really like Sammy Morris and I'm not sure they'd trade him so they could pay McFadden #2 overall money, but I wouldn't rule it out. It is unfortunate for the Pats that there is no LB or DB worth it at #2 overall. Although, I will say that with an excellent combine Malcolm Jenkins could make a case for #2 overall...

BucSappy
11-19-2007, 06:44 PM
That would be a heck of a draft but i dont think they go for Mcfadden when they are wanting to throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game. I dont know they arent happy with Maroney either.

Here are a few of my thoughts on why some people have it all wrong:

1. No team is going to make a trade that high up in the draft. It is too costly. The Jets didn't do it for Reggie Bush, and the Bucs didn't do it for Calvin Johnson. No one can afford in picks 4-7 to make a move that high for McFadden (obviously the player they would trade up for).

2. McFadden is a much much much better player than Maroney. He is a much better option in the passing game than Maroney. He is faster than Maroney. And not only this, but it provides the Patriots with a lot of insurance at runningback. If Maroney goes down, McFadden is there for them and they don't miss a beat in their running game. They really control the ball for much longer periods of the game, they put more points with McFadden obviously. I think if they had McFadden on their team this year they would probably be averaging around 50 points a game.

3. They can draft a starter at ILB or S with their pick in round 2. I mean it isn't like their top draft pick is the be all end all of their draft for crying out loud. It also isn't like this team lost all their picks for 2009. The Pats will have a draft plan, and I bet if they stand pat on their picks they could find 2-3 future starters, which is very good for this football team because they are so deep and so talented.

4. Because the Pats have so few needs on their team, they could even have some fun and make a trade like the 9ers made last year. Deal their 2009 1st and 2008 3rd rounder to a team like Dallas (who has 2 first rounders already). Then they could draft a corner like Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Reggie Smith, Aqib Talib, etc. They still have their 2nd round pick to spend on a linebacker. So then check out this mock:

1a. Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
1b. Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma
2. Craig Steltz SS LSU

Man that draft would be sick for the Pats.

BucSappy
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Not sure I buy Chris Long for them. First of all, I don't think he's a 3-4 DE. Even if you do project him as a 3-4 DE, there are monetary issues. They have Ty Warren locked up long term and both Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green are under contract through the 2009 season. Giving around $30 million guaranteed to a rotational player who won't play full-time until the third year of his contract is really stupid. Scott Pioli is the best in the business and he isn't that stupid. He'd take less to trade down before he gave Chris Long #2 overall money. If the Pats were able to trade down and Long fell to them, then I could probably see it.

However, I still don't buy his fit as a 3-4 DE. He has been rumored somewhere between 265-275 instead of his listed 285. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE in the pros, even if he does play there in college. He has shown to be an excellent pass rusher (12 sacks, 17 TFL) and he won't be able to use his pass rushing ability to it's fullest as a 3-4 DE.

If the Patriots' pick does end up at #2, which I suspect it will, I think I would look for them to trade down first and foremost. Even if they got a little less in return than the draft chart indicates, I think that will be their #1 goal. They could move from #2 to the #5-#10 range and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd or a 2009 1st Round pick. Should they fail to move down from #2, I see two options. Those are Darren McFadden and Jake Long. I would lean towards Jake Long myself. The Pats have proven that they aren't afraid to reach for OL guys when they selected Logan Mankins at least 30-40 picks before he was projected. Matt Light is getting older each year at LT and Nick Kaczur is the only 'weak link' of the line at RT. Jake is an elite RT prospect who many people think could be a great LT prospect. McFadden doesn't make a lot of sense, but he would definitely be the best value for their team at that point. The Pats seem to really like Sammy Morris and I'm not sure they'd trade him so they could pay McFadden #2 overall money, but I wouldn't rule it out. It is unfortunate for the Pats that there is no LB or DB worth it at #2 overall. Although, I will say that with an excellent combine Malcolm Jenkins could make a case for #2 overall...

I don't think it is unfortunate for the Pats that no LB or DB will be worth a #2 overall pick, because they can find really solid players in round 2 and 3.

I 100% agree with you on Chris Long, and I don't necessarilly think the Pats need a DL. I mean if you are going to spend such a high pick on an already loaded roster it would make most sense to take a true gamechanger like McFadden in my opinion. Malcolm Jenkins would be the next option, but he has a higher bust factor than McFadden (to me anyways).

Okay, the Pats offense is golden. And their defense is very solid. But they seem like they will hold up for another year or two. Okay, I'm going to make another mock in the case they take Malcolm Jenkins #2/#3 overall:

1. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
2. Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbilt
3. Thomas DeCloud S California
...Then I don't even know where to go from here, depth picks I guess.

Jenkins>Godfrey obviously, but it isn't like Godfrey can't become a special player, look what they did with Asante Samuel. Then you get McFadden in my other mock and it just so much more for this football team in my opinion that Maroney ever could.

energizerbunny
11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
it doesn't make sence for them to spend the money on a top 10 salary, with the talent they already have on the roster. They'll probally move back into the 15-20 range and pick up a trenches player and add maybe another first next year.

BucSappy
11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
it doesn't make sence for them to spend the money on a top 10 salary, with the talent they already have on the roster. They'll probally move back into the 15-20 range and pick up a trenches player and add maybe another first next year.

I agree that they don't want to pay a huge salary to a rookie considering hte money they already have on the cap but like I said:

1. No team is going to make a trade that high up in the draft. It is too costly. The Jets didn't do it for Reggie Bush, and the Bucs didn't do it for Calvin Johnson. No one can afford in picks 4-7 to make a move that high for McFadden (obviously the player they would trade up for).

P-L
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
You're assuming that the Pats wouldn't take a little less to move down. The Falcon's offered the Lions a lot to get Calvin Johnson this past draft, but the Lions wanted one extra pick. I think many teams try to trade up, but in the end they don't pull the trigger. I actually think the Pats could possibly be willing to accept slightly less than the value chart indicates, if they really didn't want to pay the salary of a top 3 pick.

benchod
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Just look at it like this, the Pats have no needs and no motivation to invest a large amount of money into an unproven rookie. Logically, it makes sense for them to be willing to shop the pick as much as possible, especially considering the Patriots would preferably like to recoup their lost pick on top of having the SF pick.

Now you take it from the other perspective, you're the GM of another team and you have the option to get a top 5 pick cheaply, at least according to the value chart that everyone seems to love. The real caveat is whether there is a player that you would trade up for and if there is a team that has enough to offer.

kennyb
11-20-2007, 09:35 AM
What happens if the Pats don't want the pick because of monetary issues (the fact that player picked isn't guaranteed to be a star but the money he's paid is bigger than most guys on the team) and NO ONE wants to trade up for them?

I could see a #2 pick being worth less than a #8-12 pick because of the money involved. What do they do then? Can they pass on the pick like Minnesota did (by accident) in order to drop down to where they want to pick someone?

It sounds crazy but 30M guaranteed? Does Brady even get that?

keylime_5
11-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, my money right now is on Darren McFadden or Jake Long. They have a good RB, but Maroney gets hurt too much and it's common knowledge that ya need 2 RBs, and Maroney/McFadden could be similar to Peterson/Taylor in Minnesota. New England's offensive line is incredibly good, but Jake Long could solve the right tackle issue and put OCallaghan and Kaczur up as trade bait for 3rd/4th round picks. Rich will get richer thanks to San Fran sucking.