PDA

View Full Version : TH's Mock: I can use initials too!

TitanHope
11-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Ok, my 2nd Mock of the season. It will be up for about one day. Harsh criticism is accepted, as long as you provide an in-depth reason why my pick is wrong (ie. No "He's good, but I like so and so more. /end post" Please explain to me, or I will disregard your input. Sorry.). If you agree with my pick, say so and give an alternate pick if you'd like. It's a 2 RDer, and my order is an average of Yahoo's NFL writers Cole and Robinson's Power Rankings, ESPN's NFL writer McAllister's Power Rankings, and NFLDC's very own toonsterwu's most recent mock draft order. So here we go...

1st Round

1. Miami Dolphins - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Well, Miami is in the position where they need to win in order to actually get players they need and that fit their scheme. Cause currently, Jake Long is the only logical pick that fits what they run. Now, the Miami OL has picked up their game, so Long isn't needed here. They need defensive help, and the best DEF player is Dorsey by a mile. He will be dominate in their Hybrid 3-4 when he's in the UT position in the 4-3, and when they switch to the 3-4, he can go in at DE or possible NT. Either way, he'll be on the field and be noticed.

Alternate Pick: Jake Long

2. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

They invested in Thomas Jones with a 2nd RD pick last year, but he hasn't produced. So one could argue that they should go another direction, but I disagree. Last year, the Vikings took Adrian Peterson despite having a 1,000+ YD rusher in Chester Taylor who they just acquired in the offseason as well. And now the Vikings have one of the deadliest offensive threats in the NFL. McFadden may not be on AD's level, but he's not far behind. With a young QB likely about to take over the offense, having both Jones, who's aging, and a stud in McFadden would be very wise in my opinion.

Alternate Pick: Chris Long, Jake Long

3. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long, OT, Michigan

Alas, we come to the rams. Now, their talent is actually pretty good, but injuries have hurt them. Especially the OL, with Pace out. Long can come in at RT and help immediately, and possible switch to LT in his 2nd season when Pace decides to retire. Alex Barron should be able to contribute at OT as well, and him and Long are the future.

Alternate Pick: Calais Campbell

4. Oakland Raiders - Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Oakland needs a help on the defensive side of the ball. They're struggling to stop the run, and to rush the passer. They also need a RE. So basically, they need the perfect DE, and fortunately for them one falls into their laps. Long has a high motor and can rush the passer and stuff the run. He's everything you need at the position, and will help that defense.

Alternate Pick: Sedrick Ellis

5. New England Patriots(F/ SF) - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

The thought that the Patriots will likely get a Top 5 pick is scary, but there's a good chance they'll trade down to garner picks. But, I don't do trades so they stay here and take the best CB available in Jenkins since they may not re-sign Asante Samuel. ILB is also considered, but I don't think the value is here.

Alternate Pick: Kenny Phillips

6. Atlanta Falcons - Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

The Falcons need a LT bad, but the difference between the QB talent is larger than the difference between OT talent when comparing RDs 1 and 2. So, they have the luxury of being able to choose the 1st QB, and they select Woodson who I believe is the best QB and has the highest ceiling of the Elite 3. OT or RB can be assessed in the 2nd RD, and they have 2 picks.

Alternate Pick: Sam Baker

7. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

Like the Falcons, the Vikings need a QB since the Tavaris Jackson project is not quite panning out. With Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice, the offense has potential and all they need is a signal caller. Matt Ryan is considered by some to be the best QB in the draft, and he is the pick for the Vikings.

Alternate Pick: Kenny Phillips

8. Houston Texans - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami(FL)

Everyone had high hopes for the Texans, but they have been riddled with injuries and have lost many games because of it. Their secondary is especially bad, though they have a stud in Dunta Robinson and hopes for Fred Bennett. Thus, I turn away from CB and pick a safety. Phillips is by far the top safety in this draft, and could have gone much higher than this. He will solidify that secondary for years and improve the total defense because of it. Never underestimate the power of a great safety.

9. Cincinatti Bengals - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami(FL)

To me, this is the perfect fit. The two parties were supposed to have great years, but they have not come through. At 6'8, Campbell was supposed to dominate offensive linemen everywhere this year, but has not lived up to expectations. The Bengals are the same in the underachieving department, and their run defense doesn't seem able to stop anyone. The Bengals need a DE, and Campbell has good value here.

10. Carolina Panthers - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

We could go in a few directions with the Panthers. They may lose their LT, so Sam Baker would be good. They need safety help, but Reggie Smith is not a Top 10 pick in my opinion. Then, they have so many issues with QB, I don't have enough time to go into that. I really want to go Baker, but when your starting QB is Vinny Testaverde who came out of retirement to play, you have little choice but to go QB. Plus, John Fox may be gone and the next coach may want a franchise QB. So the pick is Brohm, who is the last member of the Elite 3 QB's.

11. Baltimore Ravens - Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin

Kind of a tough pick here. The Ravens barely miss out on one of the Elite 3, so they look towards CB. They have no depth at CB, and Samari Rolle is showing his age. I toss Ike and Cason back and forth, but decide on Ike. At 6'1, 193 lbs, he has great size and has handled great receivers to minimal showings over the season.

Alternate Pick: Quentin Groves

12. Philadelphia Eagles - Desean Jackson, WR, California

This kinda goes against the pattern of the way the Eagles draft, but I think Jackson is the best way to go. McNabb obviously needs someone else to throw to, and Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown aren't the solution. Jackson can be the #1 guy for McNabb, and also handle punt and kickoff returns, as the Eagles have had issues with that. It helps the offense and special teams immensely, and in my view is a no brainer.

Alternate Pick: James Laurinitis, Dan Connor

13. Kansas City Cheifs - Sam Baker, OT, USC

They need offensive line help badly. 'Nuff said.

Alternate Pick: Ryan Clady, Michael Oher, Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah

14. Chicago Bears - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

Yet another team who missed out on a QB. Safety is another need, but no value. Sedrick Ellis maybe, but I'm gonna go with the OL. Ryan Clady could become a LT at the next level, but for now can slide into RT so he can enter in slowly. Fred Miller was old when he was with the Titans, and needs to be replaced soon.

15. Denver Broncos - James Laurinitis, ILB, Ohio State

Some Denver fans will say that DT is their biggest need, but I disagree. I think the loss of Al Wilson and the lack of a true MLB is what hurt this team the most. D.J. Williams is an OLB, and doesn't have the instincts to play in the middle. So Laurinitis, who I still think has the last name of some unknown disease ("Sorry boss. I can't come into work. I've caught a real bad case of Laurinitis..."), will go in the middle and Williams gets moved back outside. Dan Connor would possibly fit this scenario as well, and is versatile to play inside or out. But I think taking a true ILB is the best bet, and maybe add DT depth in the 2nd RD.

Alternate Pick: Sedrick Ellis, Dan Connor

16. New Orleans Saints - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

Finally, Ellis is picked and halfway through the 1st RD is possibly a steal for the Saints. He is overshadowed by Dorsey, but Ellis could very well be great in the NFL. The Saints defense is atrocious, and they could use help anywhere. CB and ILB are considered, but Ellis is the choice as DT is just as big of a need and a penetrating (*giggles*) DT will increase the sack numbers of Will Smith and Charles Johnson.

Alternate Pick: Antoine Cason, Dan Connor, Rey Maualuga

17. Arizona Cardinals - Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn

The Cardinals switch to the 3-4 is going along fairly smoothly. Karlos Dansby and Darnell Dockett have exploded this season, and Adrian Wilson is a monster as always. But, they could use help at the OLB Hybrid position. Groves was recently switched to OLB in Auburn's defense, and is gaining experience there. I believe he plays SLB, but I could very well be wrong. He could play either side, as he is a great athlete.

Alternate Pick: Antoin Cason

18. Washington Redskins - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

CB, WR, DE, and DT were considered for the 'Skins. Only WR and CB have value, so I settled with Kelly. Washington has enough small, quick WRs, and they have been having trouble in the passing game with catching the ball. Last Sunday was the 1st game a WR actually caught a TD pass. Kelly is a big WR at 6'4, 217 lbs and is a playmaker in every sense of the world. He would be a good addition to that WR corps, and another need can be addressed later.

Alternate Pick: Antoine Cason

19. Buffalo Bills - Dan Connor, LB, Penn. State

Value and need-wise, Connor is the best pick available. Maybe James Hardy or a CB, but the secondary has done well. There's no value at DT. So we have Hardy or Connor, and I think the nod goes to Connor. Connor will play OLB aside his old team mate at Penn State Paul Posluzny. Add in Angelo Crowell, and you have a great LB group.

Alternate Pick: James Hardy

20. Seattle Seahawks - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Seattle doesn't have many pressing needs, but the injuries to Shaun Alexander are worrisome and Alexander is 30 years old. Stewart reminds me of Alexander except that he's a harder runner. So Stewart would be great to take over when his time comes.

Alternate Pick: Michael Oher, Martellus Bennett

21. Detroit Lions - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

Ok, I know the Lions need OL and DB help, and they could get someone here. Oher, Cherilus, and Otah are available, as are Cason and Talib. But, I don't think that you have to pick a CB early in the Cover 2 defense. So I'm was going towards OL, but realized that DE is also a need and a great Cover 2 RE is available in Harvey. A pass rush will help the secondary, and OL or CB can be addressed in the 2nd RD. Not to mention that this year's FA class will likely be very deep at the OL position.

Alternate Pick: Michael Oher

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

CB is a need. No DT really of value, in my opinion. Doucet maybe, since they need a speedy WR. But the decision goes to Cason to take over for the aging Tampa CB's.

Alternate Pick: Early Doucet

23. Dallas Cowboys(F/ CLE) - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

I think CB or RB instantly. Maybe WR or S as well. May be too early for Felix Jones or Slaton, and WR and S may be secondary needs. So we CB, and Talib is the pick.

Alternate Pick: Reggie Smith

24. Tennessee Titans - James Hardy, WR, Indiana

Currently, Tennessee's top needs are WR and TE. There isn't any TEs worth picking here, so we look at WR. The Titans do not usually invest early picks on WR's, and it has hurt them. They drafted Paul Williams early last year, but he's a work in progress and not the savior. Hardy is a huge target, and will make throwing easier for Vince Young. Limas Sweed also tends to be a popular pick here.

Alternate Pick: Limas Sweed

25. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

The Chargers don't really have any big needs, so BPA would probably be Maualuga. I don't like Okam as a NT, so no go there. You can't have too many good LBs, and Maualuga could make an impact.

26. New York Giants - Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Linebacker is a big need for the Giants. Kiwanuka isn't fit for OLB, and is best on the DLine. Rivers will take Kiwi's place, and Kiwi can go back to the Line and probably take over for Strahan eventually when he retires.

Alternate Pick: Mike Jenkins

27. Jacksonville Jaguars - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

Tony Pashos hasn't played well this season at RT, and the team has felt the impact of losing Kyle Brady who was an excellent blocker. Cherilus can play RT, or possibly even LT if needed and is a mauling run-blocker which is what Jax needs. He provides depth right away, and will probably start somewhere in the near future.

Alternate Picks: Michael Oher, Erin Henderson

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Michael Oher, OL, Ole Miss

It was close between him and Jeff Otah, but I went with Oher. Oher can play OG or OT, and the Steelers may need someone with that versatility as they are losing Faneca and Marvel Smith too I think. Plus, they don't really have any other pressing needs. So Oher gets the nod.

Alternate Pick: Jeff Otah

29. San Francisco 49ers(F/ IND) - Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma St.

Well, this is a team that really needed that #5 pick, but they're stuck with Joe Staley and now have the #29 pick. So what do they do? OLB, FS, and WR come to mind. Reggie Smith would be good, but they'll have a chance at him or Hefney come RD 2 so I picked Bowman. The SF offense is stagnant, so hopefully the addition of a physical receiver to the speed of the offense will help. If not, Norv Turner should be looking for a job in the offseason anyway.

30. Green Bay Packers - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

A surprising Packers team that doesn't have anything that stands out except for RB. Felix Jones or Slaton are available, but so is Jenkins. CB is a need also, so Jenkins gets the nod since Ryan Grant is playing well and Brandon Jackson still needs time and patience.

Alternate Pick: Felix Jones

31. Dallas Cowboys - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

Now that CB was addressed, we can look at RB. Jones played second fiddle to Darren McFadden at Arkansas, but he's a great RB. He's lightning quick, and can even contribute with returns. He'll be a great compliment to Marion Barber III.

32. New England Patriots - Forfeited

2nd Round

33. Miami Dolphins - Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma
34. New York Jets - Frank Okam, DE, Texas
35. St. Louis Rams - Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
36. Oakland Raiders - Jeff Otah, OL, Pittsburgh
37. San Francisco 49ers - Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee
38. Atlanta Falcons - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
39. Minnesota Vikings - Eric Young, OL, Tennessee
40. Atlanta Falcons - Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
41. Cincinatti Bengals - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
42. Carolina Panthers - Tony Hills, OL, Texas
43. Baltimore Ravens - Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee
44. Philadelphia Eagles - Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
45. Kansas City Chiefs - DeMario Pressley, DT, N.C. State
46. Chicago Bears - Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
47. Denver Broncos - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
48. New Orleans Saints - Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
49. Arizona Cardinals - Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
50. Washington Redskins - Law Jackson, DE, USC
51. Buffalo Bills - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
52. Seattle Seahawks - Fred Davis, TE, USC
53. Detroit Lions - Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose St.
54. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Early Doucet, WR, LSU
55. Cleveland Browns - Red Bryant, NT, Texas A&M
56. Tennessee Titans - Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
57. Miami Dolphins - Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
58. New York Giants - Justin King, CB, Penn St.
59. Jacksonville Jaguars - Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami(FL)
60. Pittsburgh Steelers - Zack Bowman, CB, Nebraska
61. Indianapolis Colts - Xavier Adibi, OLB, Virginia Tech
62. Green Bay Packers - John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
63. Dallas Cowboys - Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville
64. New England Patriots - Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech

I may add 2nd RD explanations later. It's 3 AM, and I'm out.

thule
11-17-2007, 03:26 AM
Where exactly is anthony henry going? Last I checked he had 3 years left on his deal and didn't have any rumors of leaving.

Green Bay Scat
11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
didnt Bowman just tear his ACL last week? im sure hes got talent but now hes got an injury hes gotta overcome, i think hes now at best(unless he has a good-great combine) 2nd rounder. Why draft someone that may not play at 100% till his Soph year?

Crow
11-17-2007, 06:10 AM
4. Oakland Raiders - Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Oakland needs a help on the defensive side of the ball. They're struggling to stop the run, and to rush the passer. They also need a RE. So basically, they need the perfect DE, and fortunately for them one falls into their laps. Long has a high motor and can rush the passer and stuff the run. He's everything you need at the position, and will help that defense.

36. Oakland Raiders - Jeff Otah, OL, Pittsburgh

Mahogany.

Jakey
11-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Like the Steelers picks...Good job

xooberon
11-17-2007, 07:05 AM
perfect panther mock

scar988
11-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Aright... great 1st and 2nd picks for the Falcons and good reasoning on the first pick... but horrible pick of Slaton. we don't need a speed back with Norwood and Dunn on the roster. we need a power back... but more than that we need NT and would get NT Red Bryant here.

Bills2083
11-17-2007, 09:03 AM
I like that draft for Buffalo

Joeyjr09
11-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Love the Dolphins picks. Dorsey is who I want if we stay at number 1 overall. Reggie Smith in round would would make me estatic. Now give us Justin King instead of Tracey Porter at the end of round 2 and I'd be backflips. King is far and away a better prospect then Porter.

NYGibril28
11-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Overall I love the draft. Nice work.

Giants 1st Rounder. Rivers is good value there, and it fills a need, but the Giants biggest weakness is easily a FS. That's where Reggie Smith comes into play. Gibril Wilson would be so much better if he had a CF type safety next to him. Kiwi is improving every week at LB, he could potentially be a great player there. Steve Spags is learning how to utilize him correctly.

No complaints on the 2nd rounder. Good value.

Crickett
11-17-2007, 09:38 AM
2. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

They invested in Thomas Jones with a 2nd RD pick last year, but he hasn't produced. So one could argue that they should go another direction, but I disagree. Last year, the Vikings took Adrian Peterson despite having a 1,000+ YD rusher in Chester Taylor who they just acquired in the offseason as well. And now the Vikings have one of the deadliest offensive threats in the NFL. McFadden may not be on AD's level, but he's not far behind. With a young QB likely about to take over the offense, having both Jones, who's aging, and a stud in McFadden would be very wise in my opinion.

With the Jets offensive line in the state that it is, having both Jones and a stud in McFadden is like having the best one two punching combination in a jousting combination. The Jets need an upgrade in at least two offensive line positions and probably three (LG, RT and probably RG). Darren McFadden is not Adrian Peterson, but I do think that at the very least in the back of everyone's mind (probably in the front), that they believe that he is. Remember, the last time prior to AD a team drafted a running back early when they already had one was the Bears when they selected Benson. How has that worked out? How much better did he make the Bears run game? How much better was Willis McGahee than Travis Henry for Buffalo?

Beans
11-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Doucet would probably be a better 1st rounder for Tampa, and I highly doubt he drops to us in the 2nd.

A Perfect Score
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
i definately love your first round ravens choice. Jack is my favourite CB in this class, and i think he has star potential. Good reasoning, and im also glad we didnt end up with one of the 3 Qbs as i hate them all. The only one I would even begin to trust with my franchise would be woodson, but we cant wait for him to develop. Id rather trust in Boller (as bad as it sounds) and address the other areas of need. Perfect pick there.

I hate the 2nd round pick however. Im nto sold on ainge, and im not ready to call it quits with boller yet, and i dont think ozzie is either (having jsut resigned him). Hell, id rather have brennan then ainge if you insist on giving us a QB. In that position, id rather you give us shawn crable or even a guy like Limas Sweed.

Overall, great mock. I liked how you took some chances and it wasnt just the same as any other mock. Good read.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I would be hugely disappointed if the giants passed on Reggie Smith in the first. We need at least one safety and a corner in this draft, so a first two rounds of Reggie Smith and Justin King would be a dream come true.

PACKmanN
11-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Mike Jenkins over Justin King and Reggie Smith? no thanks.

Scotty D
11-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Rivers, Ray M, or Talib would be better first round picks.

brat316
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Eagles- like the pick, I def think they need that upgrade for pr/kr/Speed Wr.

Steelers nice pick, in the first Smith just got a contract not going anywhere, but Faneca is leaving. With a guy who can play 2 positions its good, Becuase Collins RT, i think can fill in for guard, and Oher, could play RT, while Collins plays LG.

As for the second round, Cb is not a pressing need, we have a good amount of depth there. Go for 3-4 Olb/De or 3-4 DE, for for the DE, i feel that we need a better back up behind Aaron Smith. Can't think of anyone maybe Moore from Maryland or LangFord

mqtirishfan
11-17-2007, 12:47 PM
At 30, I'd much rather have Reggie Smith than Mike Jenkins. He's versatile, and a better talent IMO than Jenkins.

T-RICH49
11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
give KC Justin King or Dwight Lowery in RD 2.CB is right up there with OL as in need

thebow305
11-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Love the Dolphins picks. Dorsey is who I want if we stay at number 1 overall. Reggie Smith in round would would make me estatic. Now give us Justin King instead of Tracey Porter at the end of round 2 and I'd be backflips. King is far and away a better prospect then Porter.

I agree. If we got Reggie Smith in the second round I would be very happy as well. Great job with the mock overall!

TitanHope
11-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks to all for the praise and criticism. It is greatly appreciated.

Where exactly is anthony henry going? Last I checked he had 3 years left on his deal and didn't have any rumors of leaving.

My mistake on the Henry error. I thought he was leaving, but I am mistaken. Nevertheless, CB depth is needed. They can afford to address it since they have few holes. Hamlin has done well at FS and has 4 INT's, and WR is the only other position that would need to be looked at.

didnt Bowman just tear his ACL last week? im sure hes got talent but now hes got an injury hes gotta overcome, i think hes now at best(unless he has a good-great combine) 2nd rounder. Why draft someone that may not play at 100% till his Soph year?

True, and its apparent that I didn't think about that enough. With an ACL injury, he probably won't run at the combine. Maybe Limas Sweed? SF has a few holes, so I can look away from WR. But they have a horrid offense, and I love Bowman so I went with him. Doucet and Sweed are possible replacements. So you suggest anyone esle?

Aright... great 1st and 2nd picks for the Falcons and good reasoning on the first pick... but horrible pick of Slaton. we don't need a speed back with Norwood and Dunn on the roster. we need a power back... but more than that we need NT and would get NT Red Bryant here.

Isn't Dunn a Free Agent? And I know they need a power back, but who would you prefer in the 2nd RD who fits that role? Slaton has good value there, so I went with him. If its not Slaton, the pick shouldn't be a RB unless JStew falls.

Now give us Justin King instead of Tracey Porter at the end of round 2 and I'd be backflips. King is far and away a better prospect then Porter.

*Shrug* Everyone has their preferrences on CB, just like they have at WR. Either way, it'll be a CB. King has struggled at times this season, and Porter seems to have evolved from a sleeper to a quality prospect. It could very well be King, or even Bowman, at that pick.

Giants 1st Rounder. Rivers is good value there, and it fills a need, but the Giants biggest weakness is easily a FS. That's where Reggie Smith comes into play. Gibril Wilson would be so much better if he had a CF type safety next to him. Kiwi is improving every week at LB, he could potentially be a great player there. Steve Spags is learning how to utilize him correctly.

I'm not a big fan of Reggie Smith, or CB/S type players in general. I think Smith gets overhyped due to the lack of depth at safety this year, and him being one of the only real FS prospects aside from Hefney. Thus, he gets put in the 1st RD because of the need and not as much of the talent. He may be a good player, but Rivers is by far the better talent at that spot and is why I selected him. Smith was considered, as he does have late round talent and value, but Rivers seemed best. I think there are a few FS entering FA this offseason, so hopefully the Giants could pick up one of them.

With the Jets offensive line in the state that it is, having both Jones and a stud in McFadden is like having the best one two punching combination in a jousting combination. The Jets need an upgrade in at least two offensive line positions and probably three (LG, RT and probably RG). Darren McFadden is not Adrian Peterson, but I do think that at the very least in the back of everyone's mind (probably in the front), that they believe that he is. Remember, the last time prior to AD a team drafted a running back early when they already had one was the Bears when they selected Benson. How has that worked out? How much better did he make the Bears run game? How much better was Willis McGahee than Travis Henry for Buffalo?

I don't see your point. This is Benson's first year, and though he's struggled, the entire Bears offense is out of sorts. You can't really compare how Benson will work out to that, and Thomas Jones isn't even on the team anymore, so why is this important? Last year when they were on the same team, they went to the Super Bowl. The Bills example does apply, but both RB's are good backs in the NFL. The difference is that Thomas Jones is old, and has 0 rushing TD's this year. It may be the OLine's fault, but the addition of a great franchise RB will be tempting, and its worked out for the Vikings this year, which is a team that has a proven 1000+ YD RB along with QB and OLine issues as well. If anything, the Okam pick is bad. Pick McFadden and say Jeff Otah and that would be perfect. I'll attempt to do something like that next time.

Doucet would probably be a better 1st rounder for Tampa, and I highly doubt he drops to us in the 2nd.

Why? Antoine Cason is a top CB, and CB is a need for Tampe Bay as Ronde Barber and Kelly are old. CB doesn't need to be assessed early for a Cover 2 defense, but Doucet isn't a 1st RD WR in my opinion. Others disagree, but as I said earlier, everyone has a different opinion on CBs and WRs. Doucet may fall because of the lack of need for WRs, and the teams that need WRs need larger receivers, and not speed guys. Doucet has missed a chunk of the season, so he could fall.

I hate the 2nd round pick however. Im nto sold on ainge, and im not ready to call it quits with boller yet, and i dont think ozzie is either (having jsut resigned him). Hell, id rather have brennan then ainge if you insist on giving us a QB. In that position, id rather you give us shawn crable or even a guy like Limas Sweed.

I like Ainge, and see him as the #4 QB. I also think that he's just as polished at the Elite 3, and has all the physical tools you want in a QB. Who knows if Brian Billick will be the HC of Baltimore next year, so the new coach may want a franchise signal caller. I believe Ainge can be that player. Brennan is best is a West Coast offense, in my opinion, and is a bit behind Ainge in my opinion. There are too many detourrents about Brennan.

I would be hugely disappointed if the giants passed on Reggie Smith in the first. We need at least one safety and a corner in this draft, so a first two rounds of Reggie Smith and Justin King would be a dream come true.

See my explanation for NYGibril. Either Smith or Rivers would be good, but I think Rivers would be better.

Mike Jenkins over Justin King and Reggie Smith? no thanks.

Congratulations, PC +1. From now on, don't waste mine or anyone else's time.

Rivers, Ray M, or Talib would be better first round picks.

Again, PC +1. Explain to me why, or I'm sticking to pick.

As for the second round, Cb is not a pressing need, we have a good amount of depth there. Go for 3-4 Olb/De or 3-4 DE, for for the DE, i feel that we need a better back up behind Aaron Smith. Can't think of anyone maybe Moore from Maryland or LangFord

Bowman is a phenomenal talent, and is a steal there in my opinion. I know there's depth there, and thats why I selected Bowman so he can wait and get his injury issues settled. LB isn't a need, in my opinion. The 1st 2 Steelers picks last year were LBs, but Timmons and Woodley are backups. 3-4 DE would be best, but who? Too early for Langford, so a DT like Moore or especially Okam is he falls would be best. There are a few guys who could fit well at 3-4 DE in later rounds too, so I still like Bowman, especially since you can never have enough good CBs, and DE depth can be easily found later.

At 30, I'd much rather have Reggie Smith than Mike Jenkins. He's versatile, and a better talent IMO than Jenkins.

Good explanation. I'll consider that next time, as Green Bay may have FS issues too if Atari Bigby doesn't pan out.

give KC Justin King or Dwight Lowery in RD 2.CB is right up there with OL as in need

Will do next time. I thought OT and DT were the biggest needs, but I may be mistaken. I think Justin King would be better than Lowery, as I think Lowery would be best in a Cover 2.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 10:42 PM
why don't you think more highly of reggie smith? He has shown great ability to play centerfield and cover in man, does a great job breaking on the ball and can support against the run?

Turtlepower
11-17-2007, 10:47 PM
why don't you think more highly of reggie smith? He has shown great ability to play centerfield and cover in man, does a great job breaking on the ball and can support against the run?

My biggest knock on Reggie Smith is that he is very raw as a Safety, which is why I would prefer to shy away from drafting him at that position unless you have an aging veteran that needs to be replaced. That is why I see Philly as the perfect place for Smith (even though I would love him as a Giant).

TitanHope
11-17-2007, 10:49 PM
I think he's a good player, don't get me wrong. But I've never been a big fan of the 'Tweener CB/S players. Thats just me. Some people like versatility in the secondary, but I like defined, polished position players. I think he gets overhyped because he is really the only legitimate 1st RD option at FS, aside from Kenny Phillips. So he gets pick sooner because the team needs a FS and reaches. I think he's a late 1st RD player, and don't think he's head above heels over Hefney. And at the 32nd pick in the draft, he is selected on that range. Could he have gone much sooner? Yes, but for some teams I thought they had more pressing needs and certain players who fit those needs and were of excellent value were there, like in the NY Giants situation. If I went back and re-did my Mock, I would likely give Smith to San Francisco.

Turtlepower
11-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I think he's a good player, don't get me wrong. But I've never been a big fan of the 'Tweener CB/S players. Thats just me. Some people like versatility in the secondary, but I like defined, polished position players. I think he gets overhyped because he is really the only legitimate 1st RD option at FS, aside from Kenny Phillips. So he gets pick sooner because the team needs a FS and reaches. I think he's a late 1st RD player, and don't think he's head above heels over Hefney. And at the 32nd pick in the draft, he is selected on that range. Could he have gone much sooner? Yes, but for some teams I thought they had more pressing needs and certain players who fit those needs and were of excellent value were there, like in the NY Giants situation. If I went back and re-did my Mock, I would likely give Smith to San Francisco.

I think people should consider Reggie Smith's partner in crime in the Oklahoma secondary, FS Nic Harris, as the second best FS if he comes out. I have really liked what I have seen with him and have noticed he is a pretty good tackler. Then again, let's erase tonights game from our memory of either Oklahoma prospect. Anyway, Nic Harris is groomed to play the position as opposed to Reggie Smith. I think Smith could end up being the better FS, but if you want something less of a gamble, Harris is your man.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Sure Reggie Smith is raw for a safety but he's got incredible potential for the position and with the giants we have a DC who has a great track record of developing DBs, having coached the DBs in philly. I think Smith might have some rookie struggles but long term he has great potential for the spot. Ideally I want the giants to sign Eugene Wilson for 3 or 4 years re-sign gibril to a short deal, and start the wilson's with Smith playing the nickel or dime, then start working Smith into the lineup and fazing out Gibril.

Crickett
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't see your point.

Point 1: Thomas Jones was supposed to give the Jets a run game. He hasn't performed as expected, which is largely due to a poor run blocking offensive line. I contend that Darren McFadden will suffer the same problems should he be drafted by the Jets with the OL as it is now. Hence the great one two punch combination in a jousting competition. A one two punch is great in a boxing match, but in jousting, people wear armor and a one two punch does nothing. Just like two great running backs behind an offensive line that gets consistantly overpowered.

This is Benson's first year, and though he's struggled, the entire Bears offense is out of sorts. You can't really compare how Benson will work out to that, and Thomas Jones isn't even on the team anymore, so why is this important?

Why is it important? This isn't Benson's first year, it's his third. His first two were sharing time with Thomas Jones, just like McFadden would be if he was drafted by the Jets. And in those two years, Benson didn't exactly set the world on fire. To me, that makes it a lot of a lot more of an apt comparison than comparing them to Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson. And let me say again.

Darren McFadden

IS

NOT

ADRIAN

PETERSON.

Last year when they were on the same team, they went to the Super Bowl.

And last year, they went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as quarterback. He got benched earlier this season. It says just as much about him. Nothing. The Bears like the Ravens in 2000 got to the Super Bowl on the strength of their defense.

The Bills example does apply, but both RB's are good backs in the NFL.

Exactly. So how much of an upgrade did that first round pick bring? They used a first round pick to replace one "good back" with another "good back". Not "great back". Not "elite back".

The difference is that Thomas Jones is old, and has 0 rushing TD's this year. It may be the OLine's fault, but the addition of a great franchise RB will be tempting, and its worked out for the Vikings this year, which is a team that has a proven 1000+ YD RB along with QB and OLine issues as well.

If the Vikings have any OL issues, it's certainly not in the realm of run blocking. Heck, they have probably the best LG currently in the NFL.

If anything, the Okam pick is bad. Pick McFadden and say Jeff Otah and that would be perfect. I'll attempt to do something like that next time.

Actually, the Okam picks makes sense. It fills a need. IIRC, the Jets have the last ranked defense in the NFL and their weaknesses are along the defensive line and an utter lack of pass rushers. Okam might at least provide an upgrade at DE.

thebow305
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Is smith a CB or a S??? Because Jason Allen still can't decide and if he is anything like Jason Allen when he gets drafted, I want nothing to do with him!

bored of education
11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Chiefs dont need DL anymore. CB 2nd round kthanxbye

Caddy
11-18-2007, 06:30 AM
WR is a bigger need at the moment than CB, especially considering how successful Cover 2 CB's can be if they are taken in the mid rounds. But considering we get Doucet in the 2nd, it is a pretty good draft.

TitanHope
11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I think people should consider Reggie Smith's partner in crime in the Oklahoma secondary, FS Nic Harris, as the second best FS if he comes out. I have really liked what I have seen with him and have noticed he is a pretty good tackler. Then again, let's erase tonights game from our memory of either Oklahoma prospect. Anyway, Nic Harris is groomed to play the position as opposed to Reggie Smith. I think Smith could end up being the better FS, but if you want something less of a gamble, Harris is your man.

Is smith a CB or a S??? Because Jason Allen still can't decide and if he is anything like Jason Allen when he gets drafted, I want nothing to do with him!

Exactly. Nic Harris plays FS, and Reggie Smith plays CB currently. Its just that Smith can play both positions, and has in the past. Its almost the exact situation as Jason Allen. Allen was a college CB/S. He played FS his junior year, and switched to CB his senior year due to the lack of talent that Tennessee had at that position. Allen may have had more experience at FS, if I recall correctly, and was a better prospect. I'm not saying Reggie Smith will be a bad player, but I think that he is overhyped since he is one of 3 players who can play FS and be picked in the 1st Day. Out of Harris and Smith, I like Harris since he actually plays FS, his defined position, and is arguably the best player in the secondary. But Smith has the potential to be better than Harris. And I'm not even sure him or Malcolm Kelly will declare, since Oklahoma just blew its chance at a National Championship and may be the contender for it again next season.

Sure Reggie Smith is raw for a safety but he's got incredible potential for the position and with the giants we have a DC who has a great track record of developing DBs, having coached the DBs in philly. I think Smith might have some rookie struggles but long term he has great potential for the spot. Ideally I want the giants to sign Eugene Wilson for 3 or 4 years re-sign gibril to a short deal, and start the wilson's with Smith playing the nickel or dime, then start working Smith into the lineup and fazing out Gibril.

If the coaching staff if top notch, then I can see Smith getting drafted by the Giants, as most have stated that he would be a great need. In my next mock, he may be the choice.

Chiefs dont need DL anymore. CB 2nd round kthanxbye

Already noted.

WR is a bigger need at the moment than CB, especially considering how successful Cover 2 CB's can be if they are taken in the mid rounds. But considering we get Doucet in the 2nd, it is a pretty good draft.

The age at WR does match the age at CB. You're correct that Cover 2 CBs don't have early RD value. But I'm glad you're pleased with it. In your opinion, which WR do you prefer in this draft? Or bettter yet, what type of WR does Tampa Bay need? I think its a speed guy if I'm not mistaken.

Cricket, instead of trying to prove to me why I'm wrong, please explain to me what you would rather do with the #2 Overall pick and who you would select without trading down. Because out of your 2 posts, you failed to select you would prefer and why which is rather a waste of my time. Do you want to select Jake Long and use the 2nd highest pick in the draft on a RT which can be found in the later rounds? Select Chris Long and take a slight reach on a player when there are plent of 3-4 DEs in the draft? Or would you prefer McFadden, the best RB in the draft, and though he's not Adrian Peterson he is still quite good and will be a great player for a franchise that has little to be excited about from a marketing standpoint?

yodabear
11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Can't really screw up the Rams pick, so no complaints.

Bearsfan123
11-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Bears- First rounder is good, just what we need.
2nd rounder- If Brennan raises his stock then okay, but otherwise Id grab Limas Sweed here and wait til the third to grab a guy like Brennan (if he falls that far) or Ainge.

scar988
11-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Isn't Dunn a Free Agent? And I know they need a power back, but who would you prefer in the 2nd RD who fits that role? Slaton has good value there, so I went with him. If its not Slaton, the pick shouldn't be a RB unless JStew falls.um wow. thanks for not even reading what I wrote. UNLESS there is a power back. we won't get a RB. Dunn is a FA after this year... but even still, we don't need a speed back with jerious norwood on the team. so why give us one in Slaton? it makes ZERO logical sense. and like I said, we won't go RB since it isn't that big of a need in the first place. we can get a guy in the 4th or later who will be a good power back for us. we get NT in Red Bryant cause we need one with the loss of Gravy.

jackalope
11-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I like the Packer's first rounder. I think CB will be our #1 pick this year because we really don't have anyone behind the aging Harris and Woodson. I don't see TE as a need for us anymore now that Donald Lee has been playing great. I could still see it happening though if we choose to get rid of Franks.

Like seeing Ikegwuonu going at 11.

princefielder28
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Nice Green Bay mock!

adschofield
11-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Sam Baker's good but I like Clady more

jk, but seriously, Clady fits the Chiefs system better...the system calls for big, athletic guys who can really run block...Baker is more of a pass block/technique OL...also, I think Clady will jump Baker by draft day

Cashmoney
11-19-2007, 01:45 AM
good job my friend, lovin the first round pick obviously and the second round pick is great too. kudos.

Beans
11-19-2007, 05:34 AM
The age at WR does match the age at CB. You're correct that Cover 2 CBs don't have early RD value. But I'm glad you're pleased with it. In your opinion, which WR do you prefer in this draft? Or bettter yet, what type of WR does Tampa Bay need? I think its a speed guy if I'm not mistaken.

Desean Jackson would be perfect. A speedy deep threat with return ability would help us th most.

Caddy
11-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Desean Jackson would be perfect. A speedy deep threat with return ability would help us th most.

Yeah Beans is right. The Buc's need a vertical threat. Besides Joey Galloway, none of our receivers really possess legitimate speed.