PDA

View Full Version : Keith Rivers

Bootland27
11-17-2007, 10:57 PM
SC fans, Just Wondering....Can he play SLB? how good is he in coverage?

Iamcanadian
11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
SC fans, Just Wondering....Can he play SLB? how good is he in coverage?

He's pretty well a WLB. Of course you could play him at SLB but it would be a huge waste of his talent.

FloridaFootball
11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Just throwing this out there, when I was going to Lake Mary High school I had the honor of watching Keith Rivers play high school football here in Lake Mary, Florida. The guy was a freaking beast among boys watching his highschool games.

Crow
11-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Put him at SS and be done with it.

BroadwayJoe10
11-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Put him at SS and be done with it.

From the little i have see of him he has great size to play SS as well as the speed for it. How are his coverage abilities, hands, hips and instincts? Just wondering how easy the transition it would be for him if some team did want to do that with him.

Babylon
11-18-2007, 12:52 AM
6-4 250 lb safeties now?

Solomon
11-18-2007, 01:06 AM
6-4 250 lb safeties now?

Unless he's bulked up ALOT in the last 3 months (and grown an inch), he's closer to 6-3 and 220 lbs.
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rivers_keith00.html

BroadwayJoe10
11-18-2007, 01:32 AM
yaa, i was under the assumption that he was playin around 6'2 220ish. If hes 6'4 250 than i definately don't think he should be playin safety.

PACKmanN
11-18-2007, 01:57 AM
why doesn't he add around 10-20 more pounds and more to MLB? he will be around 6'1 230-240.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-18-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't think that Rivers is quite fluid enough in coverage to be a strong safety except is very specific schemes. He's definitely not for every position of every scheme, but I like him as a Cover 2 weakside linebacker as much as I liked Ernie Sims.

Crow
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I was being a wiseass, really.

He's definitely a lightweight LB, though. He can probably add 10 pounds of muscle between now and the '08 season without losing anything, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Definitely a WILL, though.

Iamcanadian
11-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't think that Rivers is quite fluid enough in coverage to be a strong safety except is very specific schemes. He's definitely not for every position of every scheme, but I like him as a Cover 2 weakside linebacker as much as I liked Ernie Sims.

Good point!!!

Big_Pete
12-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Rivers dropped to the top of the 2nd round.

He is a little undersized (like many other prospects), and doesn't have blazing speed, dominant pass rush skills, huge production numbers or huge strength at the point of attack which makes him stand out against the other LB prospects. Plus he plays on the stacked USC defense.

Pass rushers have alot higher priority on draft day.

The depth of the LB class will likely mean many teams will consider adding a LB in later rounds.

These are the junior LBs I am expecting to declare:

James Laurenaitis, Erin Henderson, Geno Hayes, Marcus Freeman. (I know Melualuga and Cushing have said they are staying in school, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change their mind)

I expect the LB breakdown will be something like (including DEs as 3-4 OLBs):

Derrick Harvey (3-4 OLB): 5-15
James Lauenaitis: 10-20
Vernon Gholston (3-4 OLB): 10-25
Quentin Groves (3-4 OLB): 15-25
Dan Connor: 20-25
Ali Highsmith: late 1st
Shawn Crable (SLB/3-4 OLB): late 1st

Keith Rivers: late 1st/top 2nd
Erin Henderson: late 1st/early 2nd

Beau Bell: 2nd
Geno Hayes: 2nd
Philip Wheeler: 2nd
Travares Gooden: 2nd
Ezra Butler: 2nd/3rd
Marcus Freeman: 2nd/3rd
Xavier Adibi: 2nd/3rd

toonsterwu
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Interesting breakdown there Big Pete.

I agree that Rivers may slip. I like him a lot, and I think he's a player, but the nature of the position often leads to solid guys falling. I could definitely see him getting "Demeco'd" to an extent.

My current LB (OLB/MLB/edge) breakdown would go more:

Vernon Gholston - Top 10
James Laurinaitis - Top 15
Geno Hayes - Top 25
Chris Ellis - Late First/Early 2nd
Erin Henderson - Late First/Early 2nd
Derrick Harvey - Late First/Early 2nd

Keith Rivers - Late First/Early 2nd

Xiomera
12-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Where does Crable fall on your list, toonster?

BuddyCHRIST
12-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Derrick Harvey 5-15?! No way. I like Rivers, I think he's heavier than his listed weight, but anyways he has great instincts and has alot of experience. He's definently a WLB, he'd be great in a cover 2 but he could play in a normal scheme too.

MidwayMonster31
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I think he was listed at 235. Rivers is one of the fastest guys on the field and a sure tackler, it did look like they did not blitz him all that much. He would be best in a Tampa 2 as long as he can cover.

toonsterwu
12-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Where does Crable fall on your list, toonster?

somewhere in the 2nd as of now.

TACKLE
12-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Vernon Gholston - Top 10
Geno Hayes - Top 25

Where do you see Dan Connor, Ali Highsmith and Xavier Adibi going?

Big_Pete
12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
I think he was listed at 235. Rivers is one of the fastest guys on the field and a sure tackler, it did look like they did not blitz him all that much. He would be best in a Tampa 2 as long as he can cover.

I really like Rivers as a prospect, I think he will be a very good NFL LB.

I think Rivers is an excellent fit at WLB in a 4-3; if you play pretty much any other system or position, he isn't an ideal fit.

the problem is that Rivers doesn't stand out against the other potential WLB prospects; there are plenty of guys who could also play WLB very well: Dan Connor, Geno Hayes, Ali Highsmith, Xavier Adibi, Philip Wheeler and even Wesley Woodyard.

A Perfect Score
12-08-2007, 08:26 AM

I agree that Rivers may slip. I like him a lot, and I think he's a player, but the nature of the position often leads to solid guys falling. I could definitely see him getting "Demeco'd" to an extent.

Vernon Gholston - Top 10
Geno Hayes - Top 25

no groves? come on, the guy is gunna run a 4.5 at the combine i bet he jumps harvery for sure, and most likely henderson nad ellis as well. Groves is a manimal. But i do agree on rivers. I dont think he will run as well as people expect, and i can see him falling a bit.