PDA

View Full Version : Next Joe Pa or Bobby Bowden?

LonghornsLegend
02-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Honestly, if the chargers cant lure pete carrol away from USC, isnt it safe to say he's going to be there and finish his career doingg what he does?

that would be the best coaching job he could find, out on the west coast, young team all around, one of the most talented already in the NFL and thats before FA or the draft, best player in the NFL, young qb, and could bring in whatever staff he wanted to....aside from that, if he did fail USC would probably welcome him back with open arms....

but if he doesnt take this job i was thinking we could see him coaching there the next 20-30 years

princefielder28
02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Kirk Ferentz

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Pete Caroll has a much more open mind than either Joe Pa, or Bobby Bowden. Caroll lets the best man win the job, while Joe and Bobby play Juniors and Seniors only.

RWFender1
02-16-2007, 05:55 PM
pete rejected the chargers job today. says hes staying put

dcrls
02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
pete caroll is never gonna leave USC.

snuff
02-16-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't think Pete Carrol will fall off like these two either.

yourfavestoner
02-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Urban Meyer.

soybean
02-17-2007, 12:18 AM
bob stoops.

NIN1984
02-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Agreed If Pete Carrol doesn't want the SD job he will never leave USC

Thank God

Jericho@SC
02-17-2007, 12:42 AM
The biggest obstacle Bowden and JoePa faced was that they had great assistants working for them at one point that left. Now, Caroll had Norm Chow (considered by many as the greatest O. Coordinator in College history) as well as Ed Orgeron (a very good D-Line coach). They both left, and while you can see some dropoff (no national championships since then), it seems so far that Caroll has "survived" losing those two -with BCS appearances in the two years since.

Being a former D-Coordinator in the NFL Caroll should always have pretty good defenses even without good coaching on the offensive side of the ball. He'll be in a relatively easy conference for the foreseeable future and has got California's greatest athletes eaach year to himself to boot. If he stays, he can definitely etch his place in history.

VoteLynnSwan
02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Pete Carroll would be crazy to leave USC... he's got it made in the shade.

etk
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Urban Meyer.

You wish.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Urban Meyer.

You wish.

Yes, I really do.

josh07039
02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
This may be optimistic, but ...Greg Schiano.

BillsFan1991
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Carroll said he wanted to wait for the perfect team.

Chargers were 14-2, have the best RB and OLB in the NFL, upcoming QB that showed promise, and they are stationed in California, where he already lives and coaches. This is a dream for a new coach!

I think he will be in college the rest of his career, probably all with USC.

Finlayson56
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Honestly, if the chargers cant lure pete carrol away from USC, isnt it safe to say he's going to be there and finish his career doingg what he does?

that would be the best coaching job he could find, out on the west coast, young team all around, one of the most talented already in the NFL and thats before FA or the draft, best player in the NFL, young qb, and could bring in whatever staff he wanted to....aside from that, if he did fail USC would probably welcome him back with open arms....

but if he doesnt take this job i was thinking we could see him coaching there the next 20-30 years

pete carrol wants to go back into the NFL but he wants full control of his staff and team, most owners dont like that idea and in the past it hasnt worked out for the team .Thats why he wont go back to the NFL

soybean
02-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Carroll said he wanted to wait for the perfect team.

Chargers were 14-2, have the best RB and OLB in the NFL, upcoming QB that showed promise, and they are stationed in California, where he already lives and coaches. This is a dream for a new coach!

I think he will be in college the rest of his career, probably all with USC.

i think eventually he will go back to the nfl because everyone seems to doubt him, saying he's only a college coach and that he sucked in the nfl before. He might want to try and prove them wrong.

WildDude
02-17-2007, 02:13 PM

very possible cause hes creating a dynasty there and has done what noone else did for rutgers before... no reason for him to leave once he gets the recruits he deserves

BillsFan1991
02-17-2007, 02:28 PM

very possible cause hes creating a dynasty there and has done what noone else did for rutgers before... no reason for him to leave once he gets the recruits he deserves

Also, he signed a contract extension through 2016 I believe.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2007, 03:17 PM

Weren't people saying that exact same thing about Bobby Petrino?

JT Jag
02-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Nick Saban.

Hahahaha! Even I laugh at that one.

josh07039
02-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Also, he signed a contract extension through 2016 I believe.Yeah i know, but contracts don't mean anything anymore. While I don't think Schiano will leave for more money, the nfl may come calling if he maintains success.

Ho0k Em'
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Also, he signed a contract extension through 2016 I believe.Yeah i know, but contracts don't mean anything anymore. While I don't think Schiano will leave for more money, the nfl may come calling if he maintains success.

Word is that he's taking over at Penn State when Joe Pa retires. I guess that's where he started and it's his dream job. You probably knew that though.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2007, 06:34 PM

Word is that he's taking over at Penn State when Joe Pa retires. I guess that's where he started and it's his dream job. You probably knew that though.

That would suck for Tom Bradley. He's basically been the head coach for PSU the past few years.

Vikes99ej
02-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Mack Brown.

Ho0k Em'
02-17-2007, 07:52 PM

That would suck for Tom Bradley. He's basically been the head coach for PSU the past few years.

Ya, I heard about Schiano because Bradley was about to leave because he wouldn't get the HC position.

WildDude
02-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Ya, I heard about Schiano because Bradley was about to leave because he wouldn't get the HC position.

i personally dont understand that move but yeah its possible but then he turned down the miami job so he just may do that to PSU cause it will FOREVER be known as "joepas team" so whats the point and challenge of taking over

02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Urban Meyer. Yep

WildDude
02-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Urban Meyer. Yep

with the talent he has hes not goin to any other college team but hes alot like spurrier when the $$s there hes gonna leave for the NFL

DoWnThEfiElD
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Bob Stoops, I don't see him going anywhere.

WildDude
02-18-2007, 10:50 AM

but i see him as a candiate on the hot seat cause he really hasnt amounted to anything recently

reigle9
02-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Pete Caroll has a much more open mind than either Joe Pa, or Bobby Bowden. Caroll lets the best man win the job, while Joe and Bobby play Juniors and Seniors only.
An ignorant ND fan? Who would've guessed? What's it like back there in 2001? Here's a tip for ya, stay clear of NYC around the middle of September.

2006 PSU Starters:
SR: 7
JR: 4
SO: 10
FR: 1

dlions20
02-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Pete Carroll would be horrible in the NFl since he cant buy his players. Doesnt anyone remember when he coached the patriots? He reminded me of Dave Widstedt.

I don't think Pete Carrol will fall off like these two either.

Dont even go there, Pete Caroll will never touch these two and most likely wont coach that long either. You try coaching at age 80 plus and tell me if you dont fall off?

dlions20
02-20-2007, 11:30 PM
DoWnThEfiElD wrote:

but i see him as a candiate on the hot seat cause he really hasnt amounted to anything recently

LOL, Stoops isnt on the hot seat. he controls Oklahoma more than the administration does lol.

Komp
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Urban Meyer. Yep

with the talent he has hes not goin to any other college team but hes alot like spurrier when the $$s there hes gonna leave for the NFL

Urban Meyer's offense is a college offense. There is no way I see the spread making the transition to the NFL. For him to turn his back on his entire system and go to the NFL would be strange.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
An ignorant ND fan? Who would've guessed? What's it like back there in 2001? Here's a tip for ya, stay clear of NYC around the middle of September.

2006 PSU Starters:

He was forced to play those underclassmen. The team is was very young, and was forced to play those guys.

iworshipbender
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Les Miles

MaxV
02-22-2007, 06:09 PM

2006 PSU Starters:

He was forced to play those underclassmen. The team is was very young, and was forced to play those guys.

Perhaps, but I disagree that JoePa doesn't give Freshmen and Sophomores a shot.

He's open-minded when it comes to competition.

Last year he made both Anthony Scirrotto and Sean Lee starters, eventhough he had seniors and juniors competing for those spots.

reigle9
02-23-2007, 11:18 AM

2006 PSU Starters:

Perhaps, but I disagree that JoePa doesn't give Freshmen and Sophomores a shot.

He's open-minded when it comes to competition.

Last year he made both Anthony Scirrotto and Sean Lee starters, eventhough he had seniors and juniors competing for those spots.
And Quarless.
I just didn't feel like arguing with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ward
02-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I think Mack Brown has the best potential for that kind of career, that just never ends.

Vince Lombardi
02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Bret Bielema wit da Badgers. :wink:

NittanyBo
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM

2005: All our WR's were freshmen, Dan Connor was a sophmore. Justin King was a Freshmen to.

omecool20
03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
I dont think we'll see anoher joe pa or bobby bowden. Football coaching is volatile nowadays ;-) One season, you might be winning everything, next thing you know, the boosters want you out ... that's why I think Bama would never be great again .. their past coaching searches have been screwed up. I dont think Saban can last there longer than 5 years max.

TheMikey10
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Urban meyer, charlie weis, jim tressel, or jeff tedford if Cal gets the stupid hippies out of the trees over here, grrr