PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Lions Make offer for Brady Quinn

Bootland27
11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Heard from the radio (97.1)...

Detroit has contacted the Cleveland Browns about aquiring Cleveland QB Brady Quinn.

Lions have offered their 2008 #1 pick, Dan Orlovsky, and Tatum Bell.

There were also rumblings that their is a growing power struggle between the M's... and not just Martz and Marinelli.. but Martz, Marinelli and Millen.. and its a 3 way dance, not 2-on-1's.

I realize the trade deadline has passed, so this would be brought to the forefront once the season is over.

IndyColtScout
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Well there is one problem. At the end of the season, Tatum Bell will opt out of his contract, thus making him untradeable. So Lions will have to be giving up something other than a #1 and Orlovsky. I would think something more along the lines of #1, conditional future 3rd (that could kick up to a 2nd) and Orlovsky, maybe Calhoun too.

toonsterwu
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
If that's true ... I'm floored. Drew Stanton and Brady Quinn? Makes little sense, as Kitna would still be there. Might as well give Stanton a chance to develop and add to other areas of the team.

Bills2083
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Maybe, instead of Orlovsky/Bell, they just give up Stanton and a first for Quinn?

Bootland27
11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
or maybe the stanton injury is worse than expected???

BrownsTown
11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I think that trade would hinge on two things. Whether or not Anderson regresses back to the norm in the last few weeks, and where the Lions are picking. I think if it happened it may be a draft day trade, so he could see who that #1 pick would be.

And I doubt Orlovsky or Stanton would mean much to them. If they trade Quinn it means they're placing their future in Anderson.

brat316
11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah, but also think of the cap hit Browns would take, and then they would also have to sign Anderson, which they can wait if they Tag his ass, or put high tender. But to have 2 rookie qbs, yeah trade away edwards, if they really want Quinn

BrownsTown
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
yeah, but also think of the cap hit Browns would take, and then they would also have to sign Anderson, which they can wait if they Tag his ass, or put high tender. But to have 2 rookie qbs, yeah trade away edwards, if they really want Quinn

Quinn's actually on a pretty small contract right now. The cap hit wouldn't be that big.

Freddy G
11-20-2007, 07:55 PM
yeah i think the bonus is like 7 mil and like 5 of which was up front so if i understand the cap hits correctly ours would only be ~2 mil, considering that the cap space will be raised yet again, it basically doesn't matter.

Xiomera
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Heard from the radio (97.1)...

Detroit has contacted the Cleveland Browns about aquiring Cleveland QB Brady Quinn.

Lions have offered their 2008 #1 pick, Dan Orlovsky, and Tatum Bell.

There were also rumblings that their is a growing power struggle between the M's... and not just Martz and Marinelli.. but Martz, Marinelli and Millen.. and its a 3 way dance, not 2-on-1's.

I realize the trade deadline has passed, so this would be brought to the forefront once the season is over.

Umm Tatum Bell is a free agent after the season. How could we trade him?

This sounds like a lot of bull**** to me.

Bootland27
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Umm Tatum Bell is a free agent after the season. How could we trade him?

This sounds like a lot of bull**** to me.

Hey don't shoot the messenger. :cool:

But are you positive that Bell is a FA after the year? I heard he's not (still another year left).

BucSappy
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Interesting.

Detroit ending up with Calvin Johnson and Brady Quinn is sick.

D-Unit
11-20-2007, 08:40 PM
This will never happen.

BucSappy
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
This will never happen.

Can you please explain why?

D-Unit
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Because the Lions already have Drew Stanton.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
There have been a lot of reports about the FO and the coaching staff not getting along.

Apparently six wins was just too much for the Lions to handle.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM

And of course as we all know the Lions would never use a draft pick on a position more than once.

BucSappy
11-20-2007, 08:56 PM

I was thinking of responding the exact same thing, but then if they include him in the deal with a 2008 first rounder it pretty much gives the Browns equal value (2008 first, plus the 2007 2nd round pick obviously).

I think they might deal Stanton since Martz is reportedly on the hot seat, and Stanton is "his guy."

If they want to go in a different direction with a new offensive coordinator he might prefer Quinn over Stanton.

Furthermore, no way this trade happens during the season. It doesn't provide any immediate value to either team since we are dealing with backup quarterbacks. No rush to this trade. It's why I don't really believe the rumors, but fun to think about.

Scotty D
11-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Just so wasteful. Why did you draft Stanton? Martz's little project and now Martz is hitting the road. I'll take Brady Quinn though. I think he will be able to get the ball to our wide receivers. This doesn't fix the offensive line or CB,DE,ILB.

TacticaLion
11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I just don't see it.

There's no way that, after starting the season 6-4, the team is ready to abandon the plan thus far and start a new approach. We're 6-4. Yes, we've lost the last 2, but we're 3-0 in the NFC North and have a promising future. I think they'd wait until they're 6-10 before they start to panic.

Smokey Joe
11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
this is a move the Bears need to make...

P-L
11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I just don't see it at all.

Number 10
11-20-2007, 09:58 PM
How did Stanton look in preseason?

JPLUFF
11-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Didn't play. Got hurt before that.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Like this.

http://blog.mlive.com/saginaw_sports_extra/MLlions5_sa.jpg

ThEvIcTR
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
god I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Wasn't it Millen that said he loved Stanton's toughness?
I have more faith in Drew Stanton then I have in Brady Quinn. Oh, congratulations he tore up the lions 3rd string D backs. Stanton is a good player and from what i have been reading he really has been doing all that he can to help his learning process even though he is on IR.

Give me a break i really ******* hope that we wouldnt draft offense unless it is a linemen in round one. A.Cason at 18 or where ever the hell we are hopefully picking would be great.

detroit4life
11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
i agree i dont think this will ahppen and i honestly hope this doesnt happen. Stanton was drafted to be this teams QB by next uyear he will ahve the play book down and will be ready for a great off season. His injury isnt more serious IMO because i remember when it happened it was questionable he would even go on the IR and that the only reason he did go on it was because he'd miss a lot of his time to progress so he wouldnt see any time in prac or the regular season. This teamw ill give kitna another year nxt year and hand it over to Stanton in 09

Scotty D
11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I think we should be interested in the other Brown's QB.

Brodeur
11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
You have more faith in Stanton than Quinn? Seriously?

detroit4life
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
quinn would have to relearn a new system and its not necesarily i have more faith in him over Quinn its the fact that stanton and our 1st and some more is better then Quinn. This team is a few upgrades away from being an elite NFC team and using our pick on another future QB is dumb. I have faith Stanton will be just as good as Quinn will be call me crazy but its undeniable that he has a ton of skill and with Martz teaching him i see no way he not gonna be an elite QB

WMD
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
If picking between the two, I'd much much much much rather have Brady Quinn. BUT we spent a Round 2 on Drew Stanton.. We made our decision in the draft. We have to stick with him.. If this happens (which I highly doubt), I would like to personally execute Matt Millen as he would have blatantly wasted a 2005 Round 1 pick and a 2007 Round 2 pick.. along with his other blunders.

11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
If picking between the two, I'd much much much much rather have Brady Quinn. BUT we spent a Round 2 on Drew Stanton.. We made our decision in the draft. We have to stick with him.. If this happens (which I highly doubt), I would like to personally execute Matt Millen as he would have blatantly wasted a 2005 Round 1 pick and a 2007 Round 2 pick.. along with his other blunders.

would also like to add millen also wasted a first round pick in '02 and '03 as well..ok im done lol

detroit4life
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
yea if we rly wanted BQ why wouldnt we just trade up over the browns. It be better ebcause if we make the trade now were using our first and our second that we used on stanton for quinn and that just makes no sense

detroit4life
11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
would also like to add millen also wasted a first round pick in '02 and '03 as well..ok im done lol

all i know is that we took BMW over both merriman and DJ. WOnder how good our defense would be if we had either of these guys. The possibilities

WMD
11-20-2007, 10:58 PM

Yeah, but we needed a QB and a WR at those points..

11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
all i know is that we took BMW over both merriman and DJ. WOnder how good our defense would be if we had either of these guys. The possibilities

being out of a football for a year should have drawn a big 'red flag' but thats a discussion for another day

detroit4life
11-20-2007, 11:02 PM
being out of a football for a year should have drawn a big 'red flag' but thats a discussion for another day

yea it needs to be a very rainy day for that one along with the fact that he was the 3rd wr taken in a row and he ran like a 4.6 40 or somthing. But rly how nice would it be to have merriman in this defense i just cant get over it

brat316
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
whos BMW, ohh Bust Mike Williams, yeah, but its he 10 year plan.

D-Unit
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
And of course as we all know the Lions would never use a draft pick on a position more than once.
You're really using that excuse? I know you usually just want to play opposites with whatever I say, but really... this time... uh...

You don't stockpile QBs the same way to stockpile WRs.

ThEvIcTR
11-21-2007, 06:39 PM
If i recall correctly Stanton did beat Quinn in the domer's stadium. Stanton was doing it with far less talent around him. The game in spartan stadium was a blow out in the first half then John L Smith gave away the game. Look at the 2005 Ohio State vs Michigan State game, Stanton was doing all he could against that great defense, he was 26-36 for 340 and a touchdown. That is the same defense that completely made Quinn look like a *****.

BrownsTown
11-21-2007, 06:42 PM
If i recall correctly Stanton did beat Quinn in the domer's stadium. Stanton was doing it with far less talent around him. The game in spartan stadium was a blow out in the first half then John L Smith gave away the game. Look at the 2005 Ohio State vs Michigan State game, Stanton was doing all he could against that great defense, he was 26-36 for 340 and a touchdown. That is the same defense that completely made Quinn look like a *****.

Stanton is incredibly inconsistent. At MSU he'd be a Heisman contender one week and look absolutely awful the next.

WMD
11-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Stanton is incredibly inconsistent. At MSU he'd be a Heisman contender one week and look absolutely awful the next.

Yep.. He makes the kind of mistakes that Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer would make.

Crickett
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

1. Because Tatum Bell can very easily opt out.
2. Because the Lions drafted Drew Stanton.
3. Because this would reduce the Lions' ability to address needs (defense) in favor of something that has already been addressed (QB) and us as humans can not comprehend that somebody would do that.

ThEvIcTR
11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I know ive watched him, but for god sakes what is so hard about throwing it to Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams!!! Can someone please step up and do it!!!

Addict
11-22-2007, 02:41 AM
I think this will be a solid, solid move, it makes total sense, since we really don't have any other areas of need plus we have nobody the coaches believe in behind Kitna. I think the Browns don't really value Quinn, so a first should do the trick, and since we don't need anything else...

oh wait...

detroit4life
11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I think this will be a solid, solid move, it makes total sense, since we really don't have any other areas of need plus we have nobody the coaches believe in behind Kitna. I think the Browns don't really value Quinn, so a first should do the trick, and since we don't need anything else...

oh wait...

i hope that was all sarcasm

TacticaLion
11-22-2007, 09:52 PM
i hope that was all sarcasm

Yeah, it was... and I enjoyed it.

LionSmack
11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Can you imagine how much the Browns would get killed for making this trade? Basically they would be admitting they made a mistake by giving up what they did to pick Quinn. Not to mention that they'd be risking a hell of a lot by putting their team in the hands of Derek Anderson, who's had a very nice 10 games or so, but isn't a dead-lock franchise QB by any means.

Orlovsky and Bell (even if he can be traded which I don't think he can) would be irrelevant pieces in this trade. Even the fact that they're mentioned makes me think this rumor is 100% BS. It would be Quinn for the Lions' 1st rounder, basically, unless the Browns asked for another pick, which they just might. But anyway my opinion is, this rumor is just message board bait, totally untrue, and will never come close to happening.

mqtirishfan
11-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Yes, that's a great way of deciding who's better. Oh, and that Wesley Carroll kid from Mississippi State, he's way better than Andre Woodson. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=273000096

asmitty45
11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure i like this trade at all. Stanton has the stuff to run this offense and we have so many more glaring holes on the defensive side of the ball (CB, MLB) that trading the first rounder really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Iamcanadian
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
The Browns aren't going to decide their QB position until they see a lot more of Anderson. I cannot see a trade until well into next season when it is absolutely clear that Anderson is the real deal and not a 1 year wonder.
While I love the idea of acquiring Quinn, I think we have to see what Stanton can do before we throw away a draft on Quinn. It would also reflect poorly on Millen if his selection of Stanton was just another wasted pick who never sees the field for Detroit.