PDA

View Full Version : My Top 10 Junior RB's

Scott Wright
11-21-2007, 02:10 AM
You can check out my ranking of the Top 10 junior running backs in today's (11/21) blog entry:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html

Cashmoney
11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
beautiful...

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:36 AM
There are going to be a couple teams in round 2 that end up with one hell of a runningback.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Other than DMac,Stewart,and Slaton do you think there will be any other junior RBs that declare?

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Other than DMac,Stewart,and Slaton do you think there will be any other junior RBs that declare?

In fact, there are at least six junior running backs who, if they opted to come out early, would immediately jump ahead of the current #1 senior Mike Hart in my running back rankings for the 2008 NFL Draft.

I don't expect Scott to know exactly who is going to declare, but I'm pretty sure he thinks if any junior RBs declare it will be most likely from these 10 guys.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Can I assume that the #1 next to Jonathan Stewart's name is a typo, or do you have him rated on the same level as McFadden?

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Can I assume that the #1 next to Jonathan Stewart's name is a typo, or do you have him rated on the same level as McFadden?

Obviously a typo, but I don't think Stew is as far behind McFadden as people think.

Crow
11-21-2007, 04:08 AM
I was gonna ask the same thing...

toonsterwu
11-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Interesting list. I tend to have Mendenhall as 2nd right now, and I think Rashard could be a top 15 pick. I'd have Kevin Smith a tad higher, even if he only runs in the mid-4.5's.

keylime_5
11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Just me personally, but I think Charles and Ray Rice should be ahead of James Davis, who I really like too.

How could anyone go wrong with Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, or Rashard Mendenhall? Total toss up there for me.

ncst8fan83
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
What are your thoughts on Toney Baker?

Finsfan79
11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I would love to see miami snag Kevin Smith in the 3rd or 4th round to get a good backup to ronnie brown for the future some protecton since he is injury prone

SenorGato
11-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Anyone think Andre Brown will actually declare? IF he does, he's one of the guys whose going to pass the eye ball test and most other tests at the combine. Hopefully he can run at least a 4.5.

If he does, he'll be a steal for someone.

draftguru151
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I would love to see miami snag Kevin Smith in the 3rd or 4th round to get a good backup to ronnie brown for the future some protecton since he is injury prone

Lorenzo Booker?

ncst8fan83
11-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Anyone think Andre Brown will actually declare? IF he does, he's one of the guys whose going to pass the eye ball test and most other tests at the combine. Hopefully he can run at least a 4.5.

If he does, he'll be a steal for someone.

after breaking his foot this season, I highly doubt it. Baker and Brown have actually been outplayed by Jamelle Eugene this year. A Brian Westbrook type back at 5-9 200 with great receiving skills. Not a burner by any means, but will consistently get you the 3, 4, 5 yard runs and break off a 20 yarder every now and then.

Andre Brown's biggest concern, to me at least, would be his propensity to look for the homerun every time he touches the ball. He'll take a loss running laterally just to try to take it to the edge instead of picking up a good 4 yards running downhill. Brown is going to be a big boom or bust type player, but he'll definitely turn heads during workouts. He'll clock in the lower 4.4's to upper 4.3's. A less heralded Ronnie Brown maybe?

BuddyCHRIST
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I think James Davis is going to end up being a huge steal. He's got a great combination of speed and power and runs alot like Edge. He's been a stud since his true freshman year and if Tommy Bowden wasn't the most bizarre coach in football he would be putting up eye popping stats.

stephenson86
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
J-Stew IMO when u translate it to pro success will be just as good as D-Mac

bearfan
11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Scott, no Javon Ringer? I do not approve

scottyboy
11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
eh, Scott, the guys are the right 10, but not in the right order. I think, as a pro prospect, Rice is ahead of Slaton, Davis, and Mendenhall. Being the homer i am, i think Ray Ray will be the 2nd best pro RB out of that group to Stewart.

but great 10 guys up there

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 05:59 PM
what i want to know is when the top 10 junior wr list is comin out

ATLDirtyBirds
11-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't know much about Mendenhall. Who does he compare to?

foozball
11-21-2007, 07:32 PM
1-Darren McFadden
2-Jonathan Stewart
3-Rashard Mendenhall
4-Felix Jones
5-Ray Rice
6-Kevin Smith
7-James Davis
8-Steve Slaton
9-Jamaal Charles
10-Andre Brown

I really dont see Steve Slaton as anything more than a Reggie Bush type player. He's gonna be a helluva weapon, but not as an every down running back. You really have to take advantage of all of his skills to get full value for him as a draft pick.

Andre Brown has been productive, but he's been hurt, and I think every other RB on the list has more upside.

Scott Wright
11-22-2007, 01:24 AM
I really dont see Steve Slaton as anything more than a Reggie Bush type player.

Ouch!

Just read that statement and think about how far Mr. Bush has fallen in less than two years...

Green Bay Scat
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Ouch!

Just read that statement and think about how far Mr. Bush has fallen in less than two years...

i know, isnt it great? lol why u always on from 11-4ish. u a night owl man

Race for the Heisman
11-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I know he's not the most heralded but could James Davis declare in the same manner Antonio Pittman did last year because he knew Chris Wells was going to assume a more prolific role in the offense? I know it is a bit different because Spiller and Davis are only seperated by a year and Spiller has been awful at times this year, but is it even a remote possibility?

FinNasty
11-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Kevin Smith at #9? Slaton does not belong that high IMO. He doesnt translate well to the NFL... and also has a fumbling problem.

I aint sayin he should be #1... but he definatly shouldnt be #9. He atleast belongs in the top 5, if not top 3....

foozball
11-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Ouch!

i know bush and slaton have 2 different styles, but what i meant was that neither player is going to have a whole lot of success as a true running back. teams are gonna have to use them in different ways to get the most out of them. bush isnt an effective runner in between the tackles and runs better in space. i think the same thing goes for slaton. he's gonna be better working off screens or splitting out wide and catching out of the backfield. when i think of a feature back, i want someone who can carry the ball 25 times a game. i dont see slaton or bush as that kind of back. both slaton and bush are gonna be weapons in the NFL, but not as true running backs. youve seen how reggie has struggled without deuce, i think slaton will be a similar complimentary player.

superfly69
11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Not bad. I would move both Rice and Davis ahead of Slaton whom I think is more of a system RB then the other two. But can't argue with the order for the most part.

D-Unit
11-23-2007, 01:51 AM
I wanna see the top 10 Senior List updated.

PACKmanN
11-24-2007, 12:52 AM
James Davis, he losing carries and has no reason to stay in college and, Ray Rice.

Geo
11-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Some scouts have told ESPN's Matt Mosley that Felix Jones could go as high as the 15th overall pick this year. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-3-901/Arkansas-May-Have-Two-Top-10-Backs.html)

I'd take it with a grain of salt though. Wouldn't be surprised if those scouts were the ESPN talking heads of Scouts, Inc. which means they aren't anything special. And to say he could as high as the 15th overall pick, right now, is rather lofty.

LonghornsLegend
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Id expect Jamaal Charles to be alot higher on that list if he didnt fumble so much

ManOverboard
11-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Menenhall, Jones, AND Davis over Rice?

Yikes.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Kevin Smith at #9? Slaton does not belong that high IMO. He doesnt translate well to the NFL... and also has a fumbling problem.

I aint sayin he should be #1... but he definatly shouldnt be #9. He atleast belongs in the top 5, if not top 3....

I'm comfortable saying that the C-USA is a joke conference. I'm not saying Smith isn't good, but if Scott has Rice that low, their is no way Smith should be ahead of Rice.

HoopsDemon12
11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow this junior class is freakin amazing.. i would love to have any of htem backing up Lynch.. although i know thats not gonan happen in all likely hood

FinNasty
11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Kevin Smith hit 2,000 yards Saturday. Thats right... 2,000 yards. No Florida RB has ever done that. Not Warrick Dunn, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Fred Taylor, or Emmitt Smith...

He is now 4th on the All Time Single Season Rushing record... and he is easily going to beat out #3 and #2. Barry Sanders' record of 2,600 yards is going to be tough to beat though for the #1 spot, although it is still possible. He would need 232 yards in the next 2 games to do it.

Just think... if he hadnt been pulled at halftime in multiple games this year... the record would easily be his...

FinNasty
11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm comfortable saying that the C-USA is a joke conference. I'm not saying Smith isn't good, but if Scott has Rice that low, their is no way Smith should be ahead of Rice.

Why? Just because of the conference he plays in? Your right... that should be the one determining factor that determines how good a player is...

Not the other aspects like vision, burst, power, agility... those are all overrated...

If you want to knock Smith... thats cool. But dont knock him b/c of his conference.

Against the 3 BCS teams he played this year:

NC State - 35 carries for 217 yards and 2 TDs... including an 80 yard TD

Texas - 27 carries for 149 yards and 2 TDs... and 24 receiving yards

USF - Had 100 total yards in the first half. He got pulled at half time though because the score was so out of hand.

The kid can play against anyone... regardless of his conference. And I dont care what conference you are in... when you run for 2,000 yards against 9 in the box every play.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Why? Just because of the conference he plays in? Your right... that should be the one determining factor that determines how good a player is...

Not the other aspects like vision, burst, power, agility... those are all overrated...

If you want to knock Smith... thats cool. But dont knock him b/c of his conference.

Against the 3 BCS teams he played this year:

NC State - 35 carries for 217 yards and 2 TDs... including an 80 yard TD

Texas - 27 carries for 149 yards and 2 TDs... and 24 receiving yards

USF - Had 100 total yards in the first half. He got pulled at half time though because the score was so out of hand.

The kid can play against anyone... regardless of his conference. And I dont care what conference you are in... when you run for 2,000 yards against 9 in the box every play.

Fair enough.

bored of education
11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I think Steve Slaton would be a great compliment back. He would be perfect in a system gettign 12-15 carries and 3-5 rec.s Kid can play, but his durablity issues scare me. But i think he can be GREAT.

scottyboy
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
i just think Scott will change his mind eventually and move Ray Ray up more. His numbers have been against very good teams and D's. I think his amount of carries hurts his stock, but ask some of the Big east fans here who arent baised against Rice. They'll tell ya what he can do ;)

FinNasty
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
i just think Scott will change his mind eventually and move Ray Ray up more. His numbers have been against very good teams and D's. I think his amount of carries hurts his stock, but ask some of the Big east fans here who arent baised against Rice. They'll tell ya what he can do ;)

Oh, I love Rice. Kid is damn good. I think he will translate well to the NFL, unlike some of the other RBs (Charles, Slaton)...

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 12:13 AM

So then what was your opinion on LaDanian Tomlinson as a prospect?

WildDude
11-30-2007, 03:51 AM
IMO when all is said and done Rashard Mendenhall will be the best back in the draft he'll be a second rounder worst case scenrio but the best back... hes got all the tools and he definately has size at 220 and really beefed up since high school in which he was a mere 190 so he definately has room for improvement ... I just dont have a great feeling about Darren McFadden for some reason, some teams gonna screw him up like what happened with bush whos gonna get burned out within a few years... his carrer was going great last year but hes just not ready to carry the load this year, however if darren ends up with the Pats how can he not succed

The One
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Menenhall, Jones, AND Davis over Rice?

Yikes.

I'd say Mendenhall is better but Jones looks like just speed.. doesn't always translate.. and Davis does everything good but nothing great.. I'd take Rice over him though. Rice may be small but he's big.

chrlopez1
12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Dallas Cowboys...who would be better suited for their team....not McFadden...will go to high.. Felix Jones...what do u think.?

phunnypharm
12-14-2007, 03:31 PM
IMO when all is said and done Rashard Mendenhall will be the best back in the draft he'll be a second rounder worst case scenrio but the best back... hes got all the tools and he definately has size at 220 and really beefed up since high school in which he was a mere 190 so he definately has room for improvement ... I just dont have a great feeling about Darren McFadden for some reason, some teams gonna screw him up like what happened with bush whos gonna get burned out within a few years... his carrer was going great last year but hes just not ready to carry the load this year, however if darren ends up with the Pats how can he not succed

Are you serious?

Reggie Bush has >20 carries in only 1 game this year!

Bush has only 25 touches (carries + catches) or more in only 3 games this year!

In 12 games this year, he had 230 "touches".......an average of only 19 per game.

He shouldn't be "burned out" at all......IF he was built to carry a full-time load.

There is no question that Bush is "explosive" and a dangerous weapon when they can create a good match-up OUTSIDE....but he is NOT a complete RB in the NFL. He has a CAREER long run of only 22 yards!!! I have seen him run away from gaping holes up the middle to try to get outside, and that explains his failures much more than "burn out".

On the other hand......

McFadden has a thicker build and has already carried the ball more this year in a PHYSICAL conference.

In 12 games, McFadden has carried the ball over 300 times......an average of 25 CARRIES per game.

He has almost 600 carries for the last 2 seasons.....but he hardly looked "burned out" while he torched LSU with impressive speed and POWER.

McFadden has much more potential to become a COMPLETE player in the NFL than Reggie Bush......AND he has the speed to still be an gamebreaker as well.

Geo
12-14-2007, 03:54 PM
To be fair, Bush as a prospect had three games in his junior season (which he declared after) in which he carried the ball 20 or more times.

At Oregon 20-122, TD
Vs. Fresno State 23-302, 2 TD
Vs. UCLA 24-260, 2 TD

What's also of note is that, while Bush didn't have the same carries as McFadden does in his junior year, he has more rushing yards and more rushing touchdowns as of now (McFadden has a bowl game to play, Bush played in the memorable 2005 Rose Bowl game). Look at Bush's yards per carry average.

2005 Reggie Bush (Jr.)
Rushing 200-1740-8.7-16
Receiving 37-478-12.92-2
Passing 0/2
Punt Return 18-179-9.94-1
Kickoff Return 28-493-17.61

2007 Darren McFadden (Jr.)
Rushing 304-1725-5.67-15
Receiving 21-164-7.81-1
Passing 6/11-123-4
Kickoff Return 15-283-18.87

P-L
12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
On the other hand......

McFadden has a thicker build and has already carried the ball more this year in a PHYSICAL conference.

In 12 games, McFadden has carried the ball over 300 times......an average of 25 CARRIES per game.

He has almost 600 carries for the last 2 seasons.....but he hardly looked "burned out" while he torched LSU with impressive speed and POWER.
I wouldn't say that all those carries are a good thing for McFadden. Sure it may "prove" that he can handle a full load and that he is a complete player, but it can take it's toll on his body. Not only does McFadden possess an upright running style, but he's taken a lot of hits over the years. Playing "in a PHYSICAL conference" is impressive when it comes to college stats, but it's a concern because he plays a position with a shorter shelf life than any other in football. Just because the pounding that McFadden has received hasn't taken it's toll on him yet, doesn't mean it won't catch up to him in the future.

phunnypharm
12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
To be fair, Bush as a prospect had three games in his junior season (which he declared after) in which he carried the ball 20 or more times.

At Oregon 20-122, TD
Vs. Fresno State 23-302, 2 TD
Vs. UCLA 24-260, 2 TD

What's also of note is that, while Bush didn't have the same carries as McFadden does in his junior year, he has more rushing yards and more rushing touchdowns as of now (McFadden has a bowl game to play, Bush played in the memorable 2005 Rose Bowl game). Look at Bush's yards per carry average.

2005 Reggie Bush (Jr.)
Rushing 200-1740-8.7-16
Receiving 37-478-12.92-2
Passing 0/2
Punt Return 18-179-9.94-1
Kickoff Return 28-493-17.61

2007 Darren McFadden (Jr.)
Rushing 304-1725-5.67-15
Receiving 21-164-7.81-1
Passing 6/11-123-4
Kickoff Return 15-283-18.87

Te be FAIR..........

How many yards do you think McFadden would have run for if he was on that SAME team that Bush had at USC in 2005???

Bush had Leinart throwing efficiently to 2 NFL 2nd round WR picks and a 2nd round TE. Bush had LenDale White's 240 pounds softening up the defense for 20 carries a game. Bush had Winston Justice, Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Latui, and Fred Matua blocking for him (3 NFL 2nd rounders, a 7th rounder, and another high pick this year).

And finally...............Bush was running in the land of anemic defenses (aka...the PAC-10)..........while D-Mac runs in the tough SEC!!!

McFadden plays on a decent team......but it is a far cry from the 2005 USC team that Bush was on.

Anyhow........your example only proves my point again. Bush had only 200 carries in his junior season, while DMac already has over 300 carries. That is a BIG difference.

DMac is sturdy enough to be an EVERY DOWN back in the NFL. Bush is not.

amc2005
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Te be FAIR..........

How many yards do you think McFadden would have run for if he was on that SAME team that Bush had at USC in 2005???

Bush had Leinart throwing efficiently to 2 NFL 2nd round WR picks and a 2nd round TE. Bush had LenDale White's 240 pounds softening up the defense for 20 carries a game. Bush had Winston Justice, Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Latui, and Fred Matua blocking for him (3 NFL 2nd rounders, a 7th rounder, and another high pick this year).

And finally...............Bush was running in the land of anemic defenses (aka...the PAC-10)..........while D-Mac runs in the tough SEC!!!

McFadden plays on a decent team......but it is a far cry from the 2005 USC team that Bush was on.

Anyhow........your example only proves my point again. Bush had only 200 carries in his junior season, while DMac already has over 300 carries. That is a BIG difference.

DMac is sturdy enough to be an EVERY DOWN back in the NFL. Bush is not.

I love this guy, he just said everything I wanted to say. Hands down, McFadden is going to be a better back in the NFL, and he won't have to split carries, he will be a workhorse back despite sharing carries with Felix Jones his Junior year.

Smokey Joe
12-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Whichever team Martz goes to should draft Slaton (or even Chris Johnson), unless they already have a runningback like that.

BamaFalcon59
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Whichever team Martz goes to should draft Slaton (or even Chris Johnson), unless they already have a runningback like that.

The Falcons have the personell set typically found in a Mike Martz offense (lots of WRs, scat backs with hands, bad OL, etc.) but I doubt he comes here. Hue Jackson is a good offensive coordinator and even if he leaves I don't see us bringing in a spread offensive coach like Mike Martz.