PDA

View Full Version : The 1st Scouting Report

Scott Wright
11-21-2007, 02:11 AM
And so it begins!

Brian Brohm had the honor of being the first, but most definitely not the last, scouting report to be added.

One down and 400+ to go!!!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/brianbrohm.html

Moses
11-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks Scott. Always nice to read your thoughts on players.

bearsfan_51
11-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Next up: Waylon Prather.

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Bloodlines are so overrated. Todd Marinovich ring a bell? Chris Simms has been less than stellar.

Did Tom Brady have great bloodlines? I mean the list goes on and on and on about great NFL quarterbacks that didn't have "bloodlines." Are we betting on Race 8 or analyzing NFL Draft prospects?

I mean it worked out for Peyton Manning. Good for him, but it takes more than DNA to be a great quarterback.

Chris Long and Brian Brohm have good intangibles but it isn't because of who their dad was. They have very good character and work ethic.

d34ng3l021
11-21-2007, 02:23 AM
I want him on the Falcons.

NATIONALchamps
11-21-2007, 02:26 AM
It seems that there is negative biased against players from Idaho colleges.

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:28 AM
I want him on the Falcons.

Good for you. According to Scott it is a near lock.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-21-2007, 02:32 AM
I feel sorry for whatever team drafts Brohm.

Turtlepower
11-21-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm just wondering who you're going to put as elite in this class. I'm pretty sure that Long and Dorsey will be there, but are you also going to give it to Chris Long who's an absolute stud. Does any QB deserve it? And finally, what about Malcolm Jenkins who plays in a position with a high bust rate, but I feel is third best defender if he comes out (behind Dorsey and Long).

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:40 AM
I think Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, and Darren McFadden are elite players as of right now.

Moses
11-21-2007, 02:43 AM
I think the only lock for Elite status is Darren McFadden. Other than that, I'm not sure anybody else qualifies for that title.

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 02:48 AM
I think the only lock for Elite status is Darren McFadden. Other than that, I'm not sure anybody else qualifies for that title.

Glenn Dorsey is the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp. I'm not saying that it is a reason to make him "elite", but great DT prospects are very hard to come by.

Moses
11-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Glenn Dorsey is the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp. I'm not saying that it is a reason to make him "elite", but great DT prospects are very hard to come by.

I'm not 100% sold on him as Elite until I see him at the combine and in workouts.

WMD
11-21-2007, 02:54 AM
I'd put Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, and Darren McFadden all down as Elite. Chris Long is a beast and would probably get consideration..

BucSappy
11-21-2007, 03:06 AM
I'd put Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, and Darren McFadden all down as Elite. Chris Long is a beast and would probably get consideration..

I don't think Chris Long has elite size. He isn't in Mario Williams category. I think Long is a heck of a football player, but I don't think he is elite because he doesn't have elite size.

D-Unit
11-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Bloodlines are so overrated. Todd Marinovich ring a bell? Chris Simms has been less than stellar.

Did Tom Brady have great bloodlines? I mean the list goes on and on and on about great NFL quarterbacks that didn't have "bloodlines." Are we betting on Race 8 or analyzing NFL Draft prospects?

I mean it worked out for Peyton Manning. Good for him, but it takes more than DNA to be a great quarterback.

Chris Long and Brian Brohm have good intangibles but it isn't because of who their dad was. They have very good character and work ethic.
Bloodlines are one thing to look at. Not the only thing. It's certainly not overrated. In fact, I think it's often overlooked. Sure, we know about all the famous football player sons... but there are players who's parents are athletes and even Olympians who have sons in football. That kind of info is not always readily available, but in depth scouting can reveal that about a player and help better inform the decision making process. Anytime a player comes from good bloodlines, that is not a negative thing. Bill Parcells often looked for players who came from good bloodlines. It's one reason Marion Barber is a Cowboy today.

Crow
11-21-2007, 03:34 AM
One down and 400+ to go!!!
Man, do I not envy you. Here's a productive week of profiling. No turkey for you!

toonsterwu
11-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I think the only two that may get categorized as elite are Dorsey and McFadden. The darkhorses for me would be OT's like Jeff Otah and Ryan Clady. That said, as of now, I'd only put McFadden there. I like both Long's ... but I don't think either falls into the category of an elite prospect.

A bit surprisiing to say that Brohm is a boom or bust type. I tend to think of Brohm as a high floor/low ceiling type

etk
11-21-2007, 08:56 AM
My only "elites" right now are McFadden & Chris Long. Dorsey is overrated, J. Long has pass protection issues and Calais Campbell has consistency issues and questions about whether he will declare. Kenny Phillips is an elite safety prospect IMO but the position isn't really worthy of elite billing. I agree with toonster in that there are some offensive tackles that could really jump in the draft when more knowledge is gathered on them, so look out for risers into the elite category.

Scott Wright
11-21-2007, 09:27 AM
McFadden is a lock to get my "elite" tag but the only senior who may get it at this point is Glenn Dorsey, and that's not even a lock.

Keep in mind that I am very stingy with this label though and at most only give it to 4-5 players every year.

d34ng3l021
11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I really think Brohm is a safe pick for us, and isnt going to set our franchise back a bunch of years if we draft him. I dont think I could say that about the other 2 QBs.

And his cons...the injury issue is still up there, but I guess we will see. And his being a system player doesnt necessarily apply, because he is going to be playing in the same system as a pro.

Crow
11-22-2007, 09:32 AM
McFadden is a lock to get my "elite" tag but the only senior who may get it at this point is Glenn Dorsey, and that's not even a lock.

Keep in mind that I am very stingy with this label though and at most only give it to 4-5 players every year.
How far off the mark is Chris Long? Obviously, his athletic ability isn't of the elite level. But he certainly makes up for that with everything else.

YAYareaRB
11-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Next up: Waylon Prather.

This guy is a helluva punter. I remember when my brother played his high school in sectional playoffs. Him and Jordan Beck(ATL Falcons) killed..

Staubach12
11-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I feel sorry for whatever team drafts Brohm.

Why is that?

falconsrule
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Matt Ryan is so overated so if the Falcons do pick a QB Brohm is okay with me.

soybean
11-22-2007, 04:34 PM

no jake long?

11-22-2007, 04:37 PM
when reading the scouting report on brohm it sounded so eerily similar to tom brady for some reason..

MaxV
11-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Scott, I'm surprised you've labeled Brohm "a boom or bust", I thought you considered him the most NFL-ready QB in the draft.

Scott Wright
11-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Scott, I'm surprised you've labeled Brohm "a boom or bust", I thought you considered him the most NFL-ready QB in the draft.

No, I think he is boom or bust due mainly to the durability issues but the system question is also there. Matt Ryan is the most NFL ready and the safest of the bunch, Woodson is the biggest risk with the highest upside and Brohm falls somewhere in between.

Scott Wright
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
no jake long?

At this point I can't label Jake Long as an "elite" prospect. He might need to go to the Senior Bowl and convince me he can be a top left tackle to earn that label, at least for me.

Hines
11-24-2007, 12:20 PM
When might you start pounding out more scouting reports Scott?

BamaFalcon59
11-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Brohm is the clear-cut top QB for me, with Andre Woodson 2nd and Erik Ainge 3rd.

Ryan I don't like much at all.

Sveen
11-25-2007, 06:16 AM
So who is next Scott? :)

Chris30277
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
What is the time table for more scouting reports being released?

oldLibid21
11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Good scouting report, Scott. However, I have one question for you which I was waiting for the next 'Ask NFLDC', but I guess it's fitting to just ask it here:

What makes you think that just because Petrino coached Brohm in college that Atlanta would definitely select him? I mean... I can certainly see at the quarterback need. However, last year, Atlanta had a shot at drafting Michael Bush, and like you said in your mock draft last year, Atlanta would select Michael Bush because A) Petrino coached him in college and B) We needed a power running back.

I agree with what you say about Brohm, but I'm thinking of whether or not Petrino really intends on drafting him. There's no doubt that he wants to, but if there are better players available (Dorsey, McFadden, or Long), I keep thinking of whether or not he would actually be passing on that kind of talent.

Chris30277
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
not to mention we passed on Okoye (mainly because Jamaal Anderson was a bigger need), and we also passed on Kolby Smith.

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
not to mention we passed on Okoye (mainly because Jamaal Anderson was a bigger need), and we also passed on Kolby Smith.

But that doesn't matter this time around :rolleyes:

oldLibid21
11-25-2007, 08:36 PM

I don't think you can say that because it's not really fair. At the time that we were drafting, I don't think anyone could of predicted the defensive tackles would all get injured like this year. At the time of the draft, the left side of the defensive end and the cornerback or free safety positions were both the biggest needs. Laron Landry was taken, and it was too early to draft Darrelle Revis or Leon Hall, so when we drafted Jamaal Anderson, it wasn't that bad of a pick, and it was (and hopefully, it will be...) considered a smart pick.

Just to let you know, I actually raved a lot about Kolby Smith considering A) he was overshadowed by Michael Bush before the draft, but he was still doing great in the season by himself and B) Petrino coached him before. And I believe we had a shot at drafting him at a reasonable time, and we didn't. But just to let you guys know, Kolby Smith was my sleeper running back last year. (And Michael Bush) :p

bigboiajhawk
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Did anyone who said Jake Long deserves elite recognition watch the OSU-Michigan game, where Jake Long looked poor for atleast three-fourths of the game, and was clearly outmatched by vernon gholston. He is not deserving at all of a top 5 pick in my opinion, he is the next robert gallery, joe thomas was picked third last year, and in no way is Jake Long as good as joe thomas was. I feel bad for whatever team takes him.

KILLERSANTA
11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Brian Brohm = Best QB in the draft

ironman4579
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Did anyone who said Jake Long deserves elite recognition watch the OSU-Michigan game, where Jake Long looked poor for atleast three-fourths of the game, and was clearly outmatched by vernon gholston. He is not deserving at all of a top 5 pick in my opinion, he is the next robert gallery, joe thomas was picked third last year, and in no way is Jake Long as good as joe thomas was. I feel bad for whatever team takes him.

Yes, that one sack Long gave up to Gholston was horrible. Clearly, he was outmatched. I'm sure that should also completely wipe away the entire rest of the season when he didn't give up a sack or get flagged for a penalty.

P-L
11-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I saw that game. The better question is did you watch any of his other 30 career starts? Vernon Gholston is arguably the best pure pass rusher in college football. No shame in struggling a bit against him.

bigboiajhawk
11-26-2007, 04:36 PM
lets look at big games, last years rose bowl, if you watched it, you would remember how terrible the oline from michigan looked, jake long included, i dont care how he played against some weaker opponents, i want to know how he does against quality players and in both games he looked sub par, maybe if he moved to right tackle he would be better, where he could be more of a run blocker, his pass protection is questionable, he is no joe thomas and is not deserving of a top 5 pick, no matter how weak or strong of a draft it is.

ironman4579
11-26-2007, 04:42 PM
lets look at big games, last years rose bowl, if you watched it, you would remember how terrible the oline from michigan looked, jake long included, i dont care how he played against some weaker opponents, i want to know how he does against quality players and in both games he looked sub par, maybe if he moved to right tackle he would be better, where he could be more of a run blocker, his pass protection is questionable, he is no joe thomas and is not deserving of a top 5 pick, no matter how weak or strong of a draft it is.

I don't think anyone is saying he's Joe Thomas in terms of pass pro, but as Scott said, he's better than Levi Brown, and where did Brown get drafted?

bigboiajhawk
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
he's the next robert gallery

ironman4579
11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
he's the next robert gallery

You're welcome to your opinion, I just happen to think it's wrong.

bigboiajhawk
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
its all good, only time will tell with any of these draft picks anyways

11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
You're welcome to your opinion, I just happen to think it's wrong.

no one wants to predict a future NFL bust especially a top 5 pick like jake long but the fact is his measurables compare very favourably to robert gallery and he isnt what you call a franchise tackle either. most teams likely will consider shifting him to RT very reminscent of where gallery began his NFL career. i hope this wont be the case but some warning signs are already there. no one can doubt his tremendous size and "potential" tho.

Babylon
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
They used to say Steve Hutchinson had his problems from time to time at Michigan and now he's one of the best OL in the NFL. As for the Ohio State game and giving up a bad sack there isnt a player out there that didnt have a bad play and probably at least one per game. FWIW Vernon Gholston didnt show up against Illinois so i think things even out.