PDA

View Full Version : The enigma that is Early Doucet

London
11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
What is it about this guy? On the limited I have seen of him he doesn't seem that fast but people rave about his quickness. Is he overrated or can he genuinely be a no1 in the NFL?

Solomon
11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
He never became the dominant college WR that people thought he would when he was a highly sought after recruit, but he's had a good career and is refined in many areas which WRs his age typically aren't strong in. He hasn't had a breakthrough season this year like many people expected but he's been bothered by a groin injury which forced him to miss 5 games and has certainly affected him in other game. When he has been on the field he has made an impact for the Tigers.

I agree about the speed thing, early in his career (no pun intended) he was considered a speedster but he doesn't seem to show that speed on the field if he has it. However he certainly isn't slow, has a good build, runs solid routes, has good hands, is athletic and is willing to go over the middle to make the catch. Those are the attributes that should make him a late 1st or very early second round pick in this year's draft. With a very impressive combine I could see him being drafted even higher. I don't know if he can be a #1 WR at the next level but he could definitly be a good #2 receiver.

Scott Wright
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Overrated in my opinion.

He's not as good of a prospect as either Bowe or Davis were last year and he actually reminds me a lot of Josh Reed. At best he's a #2 wideout in the NFL and probably more of a #3.

lod01
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
He hasn't done anything to make me say wow.

Solomon
11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Overrated in my opinion.

He's not as good of a prospect as either Bowe or Davis were last year and he actually reminds me a lot of Josh Reed. At best he's a #2 wideout in the NFL and probably more of a #3.

Why do you say that? His lack of eye popping stats at the college level? None of his football attributes really stand out as above the pack? IMO the only categories in which Davis has him beat is speed and quickness. Bowe was certainly a better prospect though, no argument there.

Babylon
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
In a year where there arent a lot of superstar WRs Doucet sort of goes early by default.

bored of education
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Sammie Parker Jr.

schmiddog
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't really see why he's overrated....he's got plenty of height with a tightly wound, but not overly bulky frame....great speed, excellent change of direction, very good after the catch....I wouldn't hesitate to take him in the top 10. The only receiver in this year's class I would possibly take over him is Kelly

Javzz
11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
It'll be interesting to see how he runs definately. He still looks hobbled some from the groin injury, as he looks like he's lost some of explosiveness with the injury. He definately could go deep if we wanted him too. He actually did quite a lot last year. It's probably a mix that Flynn isn't the QB Jamarcus was and Toliver/Byrd are both better deep threats.

Early's just a playmaker IMO. Whenever 100% he's plenty explosive. He has great change of direction ability, and is great at adjusting to the ball once it's in the air. He also always seems to come through in the clutch. He's certainly not a blow-you-off-your-feet prospect but he's plenty dependable.

RCAChainGang
11-22-2007, 08:28 PM
He hasn't done anything to make me say wow.

Only burn the corner of Alabama twice for TD's to help us win the game.
He's been injured. He would have had a better year.

LonghornsLegend
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
When he catches passes it looks so easy to him, very soft hands and never lets the ball come into this chest no matter how he catches it...I was very impressed with him, reminds me of the type of guy that might not stand out much to you in terms of crazy speed, great height or weight, but he runs great routes and catches nearly everything in his area

With that said he probably wont be a #1 in the nlf because he doesnt have dominant size or quickness but I can see him somewhere along the lines of a Kevin Curtis

Matthew Jones
11-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I always thought he was a bit like Chad Jackson, but that's probably not the best comparison out there.

jared
11-23-2007, 09:09 PM
When he catches passes it looks so easy to him, very soft hands and never lets the ball come into this chest no matter how he catches it...I was very impressed with him, reminds me of the type of guy that might not stand out much to you in terms of crazy speed, great height or weight, but he runs great routes and catches nearly everything in his area

With that said he probably wont be a #1 in the nlf because he doesnt have dominant size or quickness but I can see him somewhere along the lines of a Kevin Curtis

Kevin Curtis had/still has pretty dominant quickness. I wish I had paid more attention to Doucet last year. He's been too hobbled this year to make much judgement on him.

YAYareaRB
11-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Byrd definitely outshined him this year given the circumstances..

metafour
11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't really see why he's overrated....he's got plenty of height with a tightly wound, but not overly bulky frame....great speed, excellent change of direction, very good after the catch....I wouldn't hesitate to take him in the top 10. The only receiver in this year's class I would possibly take over him is Kelly

Uhh what? Plenty of height - the guy is 6'0. He's got a good build. He has decent to good speed - nowhere NEAR "great." Taking Doucet in the first round would be a mistake IMO, taking him Top 10 would be ********. He has NO dominant abilities that suggest a Top 10 pick.

I actually like the Josh Reed comparison. Reed has a similar body (short but built almost like a RB) and their playing styles are similar as well in the sense that neither is a true deep threat but more of a tough mid-range receiver. Josh Reed had an amazing career at LSU so dont tell me that the comparison is bogus because Reed hasn't fully lived up to the hype in the NFL.

I've actually never really understood the Doucet hype. When early in the year he was pegged as the #1 receiver and a sure-fire first round pick I was like "WHAT??." He just doesn't look like a dominate receiver at all, the physical tools just aren't there. He's not very tall (6'0 like mentioned) and despite his lack of height he isn't a blazer either (likely a 4.5 guy). I dont see him ever being a deep threat which basically limits his upside to a Josh Reed type receiver.

theogt
11-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Overrated in my opinion.

He's not as good of a prospect as either Bowe or Davis were last year and he actually reminds me a lot of Josh Reed. At best he's a #2 wideout in the NFL and probably more of a #3.Seriously? He's hands down better than Davis. Bowe's just a different type of receiver, so it's hard to compare the two.

schmiddog
11-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Uhh what? Plenty of height - the guy is 6'0. He's got a good build. He has decent to good speed - nowhere NEAR "great." Taking Doucet in the first round would be a mistake IMO, taking him Top 10 would be ********. He has NO dominant abilities that suggest a Top 10 pick.

I actually like the Josh Reed comparison. Reed has a similar body (short but built almost like a RB) and their playing styles are similar as well in the sense that neither is a true deep threat but more of a tough mid-range receiver. Josh Reed had an amazing career at LSU so dont tell me that the comparison is bogus because Reed hasn't fully lived up to the hype in the NFL.

I've actually never really understood the Doucet hype. When early in the year he was pegged as the #1 receiver and a sure-fire first round pick I was like "WHAT??." He just doesn't look like a dominate receiver at all, the physical tools just aren't there. He's not very tall (6'0 like mentioned) and despite his lack of height he isn't a blazer either (likely a 4.5 guy). I dont see him ever being a deep threat which basically limits his upside to a Josh Reed type receiver.

"Plenty" of height does not mean tall, it means sufficiently tall...

And he is certainly not a 4.5 guy....he's a lock for the low 4.4's and I wouldn't be surprised to see him rip off a high 4.3

metafour
11-24-2007, 01:40 AM
"Plenty" of height does not mean tall, it means sufficiently tall...

And he is certainly not a 4.5 guy....he's a lock for the low 4.4's and I wouldn't be surprised to see him rip off a high 4.3

What NFL have you been watching? 6'0 for a receiver is sufficient height if you're a burner. The height isn't that big of a deal, but 6'0 is far from what you'd look for from a receiver like Doucet.

As for the speed comment, I honestly think you need to re-watch Doucet. High 4.3's/low 4.4's? If Doucet is that fast then you may as well peg every WR and CB in the SEC as a high 4.3/low 4.4 guy. I've seen Doucet play numerous times and his speed on the field is "good" at best. Last season he averaged 13.1 YPC, going into today's game he has averaged 10.3 YPC this season. He is a 4.5 guy, and if he runs any faster I dont think it means a damn thing because he certainly isn't anywhere near a 4.3 guy on the field. He succeeds by running good routes and showing good toughness to fight for the ball over the middle. I rarely ever see him run past anyone and haul in long passes, that just isn't his game.