PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clady

bigbluedefense
11-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I see alot of people raving about him, but is he really that special? Ive seen 2 games where I just focused on him the whole game, and quite honestly, I wasn't impressed.

I think he needs to add alot of weight to his frame. He seems lanky for his size, and he seems to lack alot of power. He'll get pushed around by bullrushers. And his thighs and legs are way too thin to stand firm in the NFL.

But I hear him being touted as possibly the 2nd best LT prospect in this draft. Am I missing something? I will admit I haven't seen him alot, but from the limited time I have seen him, I wasn't that impressed.

foozball
11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
you list his flaws as purely physical. he has the athleticism and footwork to stick. but like you said, he still has to develop his body. pretty much every draft site lists his power as his main weakpoint.

PACKmanN
11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I see alot of people raving about him, but is he really that special? Ive seen 2 games where I just focused on him the whole game, and quite honestly, I wasn't impressed.

I think he needs to add alot of weight to his frame. He seems lanky for his size, and he seems to lack alot of power. He'll get pushed around by bullrushers. And his thighs and legs are way too thin to stand firm in the NFL.

But I hear him being touted as possibly the 2nd best LT prospect in this draft. Am I missing something? I will admit I haven't seen him alot, but from the limited time I have seen him, I wasn't that impressed.

His footwork is possibly the best for a LT in this draft. Also in the NFL he would be facing more of the finesse rushers on the left side. He reminds me a lot like Daryn Colledge, he has almost the similar type of frame as he does.

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Here's a picture of some of the top tackle prospects in the draft. Just a little eyeball test.

http://i10.tinypic.com/8forzer.jpg

Jake Long is by far the biggest. Solid legs and a well-developed upper body. From a physical standpoint, he's about as pro-ready as they come.

Sam Baker is the shortest and doesn't have much muscular definition. He looks a bit soft and could definitely stand to add some bulk. His frame isn't very impressive either.

Ryan Clady could use some muscle on his legs but he looks to have the frame to really add some weight without losing much athleticism.

Based on the eyeball test, I'd rank them:
1. Jake Long
2. Ryan Clady
3. Sam Baker

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's a picture of some of the top tackle prospects in the draft. Just a little eyeball test.

http://i10.tinypic.com/8forzer.jpg

Jake Long is by far the biggest. Solid legs and a well-developed upper body. From a physical standpoint, he's about as pro-ready as they come.

Sam Baker is the shortest and doesn't have much muscular definition. He looks a bit soft and could definitely stand to add some bulk. His frame isn't very impressive either.

Ryan Clady could use some muscle on his legs but he looks to have the frame to really add some weight without losing much athleticism.

Based on the eyeball test, I'd rank them:
1. Jake Long
2. Ryan Clady
3. Sam Baker

the problem is u need the side view for Baker and Clady. From this picture it looks like baker could EASILY gain at least 5-15lbs which would make him 310-315. However the one thing that is impossible to build up is calfs, u can make them more define but u cant go from cladys to longs because its part genetics. Clady can add weight easy but they are missing Williams... lol

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
the problem is u need the side view for Baker and Clady. From this picture it looks like baker could EASILY gain at least 5-15lbs which would make him 310-315. However the one thing that is impossible to build up is calfs, u can make them more define but u cant go from cladys to longs because its part genetics. Clady can add weight easy but they are missing Williams... lol

Huh? You can definitely add bulk to your calfs...

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

i remember we had a DE who had the biggest calfs on our team, im talkin like mo drew thighs big, but he was quite weak aginst the run, didnt have much push. Having bigger thighs and 5 more lbs at most arent gonna help his run blocking. It really comes down to technique and leverage.

If ur big and strong and got great push, but u cant get under the DE, ur gonna lose, yet if ur small and dont have the greatest strength, but consistently get under a guys pads, ur gonna win most often then naught. but some ppl can win because their physical attributes can help them overcome technique flaws

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
i remember we had a DE who had the biggest calfs on our team, im talkin like mo drew thighs big, but he was quite weak aginst the run, didnt have much push. Having bigger thighs and 5 more lbs at most arent gonna help his run blocking. It really comes down to technique and leverage.

Obviously technique and leverage play a huge role. That said, this is professional football. Physical attributes are hugely important. That's why players workout all off-season, trying to make gains to improve their play.

It's also not about size, but strength and power. Look at a guy like Braylon Edwards. He's small, but look at his combine numbers. Bench pressed 225 something like 30 times.

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Also, Jake Long is built like Tony Mandarich. Beast.

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 08:29 PM
BE is 6'3" 215, that is not small, thats above average. Also when do u ever need to bench 225 in a game? its a good sign of endurence and when u think about it, u play for about 10 secs as an OLineman then u get 45 sec to recover(maybe a tv timeout) its not as tough as college, u just face better players than say FIU

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:31 PM
BE is 6'3" 215, that is not small, thats above average.

In terms of how much he can lift, that is extremely small. There are 300 pounders in the NFL who can't lift like Braylon can.

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
BE is 6'3" 215, that is not small, thats above average. Also when do u ever need to bench 225 in a game? its a good sign of endurence and when u think about it, u play for about 10 secs as an OLineman then u get 45 sec to recover(maybe a tv timeout) its not as tough as college, u just face better players than say FIU

The bench press test is indicative of upper body strength. Take two players. One can do 225 10 times the other guy can do it 50 times. Who do you think is stronger and has a higher bench max?

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 08:36 PM
The bench press test is indicative of upper body strength. Take two players. One can do 225 10 times the other guy can do it 50 times. Who do you think is stronger and has a higher bench max?

i know someone who can max bench 420lbs, yet his 225 is only 18, yet theres someone on are team that can do it 335lbs but can do it 22 times, now those are close and albeit the higher one plays LB and the lower rep plays lineman. I care more about max bench for lineman cause it means the initial punch, when do u need to constantly punch as an olineman?(pass blocking to a certain extent, but they teach u to punch and grab) all i know is someone that does 10 reps doesnt deserve to play OLine lol. We really arent helpin this guy out so im just gonna end that here

SenorGato
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
So basically Clady is like D'Brick but *maybe* half the prospect?

I have no feel for this guy at all.

foozball
11-21-2007, 08:43 PM
athletically, he's similar to D'brick. maybe not quite as athletic, but youre on the right track. he could use some technique work, but he's just a junior. if he can bulk up, he's gonna be quite good.

PACKmanN
11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
How about comparing him to Daryn Colledge? there frame and athleticism is the same.

Green Bay Scat
11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
How about comparing him to Daryn Colledge? there frame and athleticism is the same.

*Shock* How could u, u know u cant compare white players to black ones

I think Colledge was a better LT at Boise than Clady, but thats cause he had more experence, plus his technique was a bit better, however seeing how Colledge is now, Clady must be stronger by a good amount(guess)

Moses
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Clady looks a lot bigger than Colledge.

11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
the comparison to d'brick is very solid. he will never be able to outpower d-line but he can sure make up for it athletically. franchise tackle for sure and should continue moving up draft boards.

etk
11-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't see the problem with Clady's size or frame at all. He's a legitimate 6'6 and anywhere from 310-320. His upper body is well-built and strong. His legs aren't as powerful as you would like, but they are defined and athletic. Small calves help for speed and quickness so I see that as a positive. Clady can easily work up from his frame and add some bulk and power to his thighs. He's not the only offensive tackle prospect to have somewhat of a slimmer lower half. Joe Thomas and D'Brick had similar frames. The team who drafts him should expect to wait 1-2 years to groom him mentally and physically, but the rewards are tremendous as he has exceptional athleticism and footwork. If you want an offensive tackle who can start right away, look for Jake Long or Phil Loadholt.

BroadwayJoe10
11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
The bench press test is always a bit skewed, you have to compare them to people of their position and size rather than all the way across the board. You couldh ave a guy 6'6 that is twice as powerul or has considerable more raw strength then the receiver whos 5'10, but it is going to be a hell of a lot easier for him to pump out more reps than the guy whos 9 inches taller. I agree 100% with GBS that in looking at an Olineman i'll put a much heavier emphasis on max than on reps. Although if the dude can do only a handful than he clearly isn't training hard enough.

I also really like the comparison to D'brick. Depends on what team picks him and what DE's he'll face, but it seems he has the footwork and ability to be quite solid right away but just struggle moreso with the bigger bull rushers. let's just hope whoever drafts him doesn't have a rookie center than trade their LG away and bring in some chump to play between them.

Babylon
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Overall i would say this group of OL is good with good depth but no Joe Thomas at the top, that would be my take.

Primetime21
11-22-2007, 11:17 AM
A lot of people around Boise really haven't been impressed with him this year. Last year in the Fiesta Bowl he played like a man possessed(sp?) and no one has seen that this year. When I watch him I see Colledges technique and athleticism. I personally think Colledge is a better prospects but Clady just has the great size+athletism.

One thing I absolutley loved about these two guys is both of them are pretty hard workers.

Clady has been pretty overrated by people on this sight, they see/read about his size and athletism and think he will be Walter Jones his rookie season. He also benifts from a line that works extremley well together and is one of the best in the country. I think IF he declares that he should be 18-26 overall.

Billingsley26
11-22-2007, 11:39 AM

No you cant. You get them more defined and cut, but as for weight gain or a bigger mass in your calfs, is not going to happen. They will get stronger but not much bigger mass wise.

Moses
11-22-2007, 11:50 AM
No you cant. You get them more defined and cut, but as for weight gain or a bigger mass in your calfs, is not going to happen. They will get stronger but not much bigger mass wise.

Are you kidding? I have seen many people (myself included) increase their calf size substantially. Calfs are no different than any other muscle.

Hines
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I think Clady is a good player. This years tackle class is goin to be one of the best in many years. Baker, Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, Oher, and Loadholt are all legit first rounders. Thats only if Oher, Clady, and Loadholt come out that is. I could see a few of these guys drop to the second round, because i see about 5 teams who could use a top tier tackle. (Chicago, Miami, Pittsburgh, Philly, and St. Louis). It will all depend on workouts on which ones fall and all that, but this will be the best and deepest class of tackles in years.

Green Bay Scat
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Are you kidding? I have seen many people (myself included) increase their calf size substantially. Calfs are no different than any other muscle.

well can u tell me how to get them bigger, as i got pretty small calfs. I do calf raises and when i squat, i do full extensions. All it does is get more define it doesnt grow. I have 16 1/2 right now, i want 20s lol

Moses
11-22-2007, 12:37 PM
well can u tell me how to get them bigger, as i got pretty small calfs. I do calf raises and when i squat, i do full extensions. All it does is get more define it doesnt grow. I have 16 1/2 right now, i want 20s lol

You need to use big weights. Low reps, high weight. People at my gym would max out the standing calf raise machine with weights and then get somebody to sit on top of it.

Green Bay Scat
11-22-2007, 12:41 PM
You need to use big weights. Low reps, high weight. People at my gym would max out the standing calf raise machine with weights and then get somebody to sit on top of it.

how long does it take? cause i probably got well define after about 1 - 1 1/2 months, but it probably only got to 17 1/2 at most

Moses
11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
how long does it take? cause i probably got well define after about 1 - 1 1/2 months, but it probably only got to 17 1/2 at most

It depends on a huge myriad of factors. Genetics, diet, how hard you work, etc.

Can't really give you an estimate but it will likely take longer than most muscles because calves are tough to isolate.

Green Bay Scat
11-22-2007, 12:51 PM
It depends on a huge myriad of factors. Genetics, diet, how hard you work, etc.

Can't really give you an estimate but it will likely take longer than most muscles because calves are tough to isolate.

i think my genetics wont let it get much bigger than 17, if i get 18 i think it would be a great life. it was weird getting knee braces having 22 near my thigh then 16 1/2 at my calf, they didnt have something that was like that and it was a lil loose and it gave me a bad burn on my calf. I can get a nice 2 head calf tho...

toonsterwu
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
As the season has progressed, Clady's play has gotten closer to where he was at last year. I'm not a big fan of the D'Brick comparison because Brick's frame was maxed out. Clady might be able to bulk up to around 330 and really not lose that much in athleticism, and hence, I think right now he does remind me a lot more of Walter Jones - the Walter Jones coming out of college. He's arguably got the best footwork in this class of tackle prospects, and while he's not a powerful run blocker right now, he's not bad, which is the way some reports make him sound. I think he's a top half of the first round pick, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a top 5 pick if he has a superb postseason, assuming nothing negative pops up. This isn't to say he'll succeed (although I like his chances), but just my take on his value.

Should be interesting where OT's fall in this class. As of now, I think Otah/Clady/Long form the first tier and could go in the top half of the first. I'd probably put Chris Williams/Sam Baker/Gosder Cherilus in that 2nd tier, which could come off anywhere from mid-1st to mid-2nd. Although a couple juniors could shake things up.

But a lot of time to go.

11-22-2007, 11:01 PM
this is the year id wanna draft an OL first round OMG!

Primetime21
11-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey if anyone wants to see watch Clady, BSU is on ESPN 2.

etk
11-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey if anyone wants to see watch Clady, BSU is on ESPN 2.

What happened on that big sack/strip? It looked like Clady missed his assignment badly.

Primetime21
11-23-2007, 11:58 PM
What happened on that big sack/strip? It looked like Clady missed his assignment badly.

Yea either horrible miscommunication/thought running back blocking guy or he got lazy with footwork and got owned by sophomore playing with handful of injuries.

Billingsley26
11-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Yea either horrible miscommunication/thought running back blocking guy or he got lazy with footwork and got owned by sophomore playing with handful of injuries.

Yea, I think there was a misocmmunitcation with the RB...because as I watched the replay, it looked as if Clady looked inside before he looked to the DE, thinking that the RB would pick him up as Clady picked up the first inside threat.