PDA

View Full Version : The most valuable college teams

Iamcanadian
11-22-2007, 07:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Notre Dame - $101 million, $45.8 million profit
2. Texas - $92 million, $46.2 million profit
3. Georgia - $90 million, $43.5 million profit
4. Michigan - $85 million, $36.2 million profit
5. Florida - $84 million, $38.2 million profit
6. LSU - $76 million, $31.7 million profit
7. Tennessee - $74 million, $17.3 million profit
8. Auburn - $73 million, $33.9 million profit
9. Alabama - $72 million, $31.8 million profit
10. Ohio State - $71 million, $26.6 million profit
11. Oklahoma - $70 million, $18.5 million profit
12. South Carolina - $69 million, $28.9 million profit
13. Penn St - $69 million, $29.4 million profit
14. USC - $53 million, $13 million profit
15. Arkansas - $53 million, $19.3 million profit
16. Texas A&M - $50 million, $20.5 million profit
17. Washington - $50 million, $19.9 million profit
18. Nebraska - $49 million, $12.4 million profit
19. Michigan State - $44 million, $18.3 million profit
20. Wisconsin - $43 million, $14.3 million profit

http://www.forbes.com/sportsbusiness...llegeball.html

There is a reason why so many SEC schools rank that high. The SEC has the best TV deal outside of Notre Dame's and I think the CBS deal for the SEC is going to have serious ramifications down the line for college football as a whole.
We are all watching SEC games every week and seeing their better teams week after week. Many years their teams deserve to be high in the rankings but they have off years as well, but when the general public gets to watch their high profile games week after week, their teams and players become bigger than life and in a sport were hype can get you into the NCG, the SEC is going to be difficult to deny in any year.
In my humble opinion , this year is a perfect example. Georgia jumped from #20 to #10 for a victory. I couldn't see how it was justified except for the fact that the whole nation watched the game and the hype carried them much further up the rankings than any other conference would have gotten.
LSU has a schedule that includes meeting all their toughest opponents at home. Yes, they won the games but hardly dominated anybody and their QB had 5 TD passes and 9 interceptions after about 8 games yet everybody is talking about them like they are giants, I say it is because everyone of those tough games was televised nationally and LSU has become America's team for this year. Heck I loved watching the games myself but can still remain objective over the results.
I've watched college football for 55 years and seen all sorts of trends develop which changed the game forever, some good and some bad. However I see a very dangerous trend developing with CBS televising SEC games nationally every week, the only conference that gets that exposure. I can see it not only being reflected in rankings but I think that over time it is going to impact recruiting as young impressionable kids grow up watching SEC games on TV exclusively and becoming fans of SEC football.
Money has become so important to college football that the Big 10 switched from national exposure on ABC to a cable channel which offered a higher profit and I think it will come back to bite them in the a.s over time.
We all complain when Notre Dame gets invited to Bowl games they truly don't deserve to be in and that is because they have their own national TV exposure which gives them a huge national following which every Bowls want to get a piece of, well, I can now see this trend extending to the SEC as well and I just don't think it is a positive trend for college football.
I'm not a SEC hater at all, I love college football and I have a great deal of respect for the SEC but I strongly believe in a level playing field and I have this sinking sense that it is dissolving before my eyes and we are witnessing a truly new phenomenon. This isn't the SEC's fault, the fault lies with the other conferences that removed themselves from national TV for MONEY and will now pay the consequences.

Michigan
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Is this for only the football teams? Err... do football teams even have seperate budgets?

Gchu83
11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
This is the value of the entire university...not just their football/athletics dept. I'm sure revenue from football does contribute quite a bit though.

I agree that the SEC does have the best TV deal w/ CBS, I don't think it will have "serious ramifications" like you said. The SEC has the most number of competitive/popular teams and like everything else, it's all about supply and demand. Texas/Big12 doesn't have an great exclusive t.v. deal, but 3 Big 12 teams still make it in the top 20. Just shows that revenue from t.v. isn't everything.

duckseason
11-22-2007, 10:45 AM
This is the value of the entire university...not just their football/athletics dept. I'm sure revenue from football does contribute quite a bit though.

Not sure what makes you think that, but I'm positive that all those universities are worth well over $100 million. It appears as though they are ranking them based on the revenue that their football programs generate.

cardsalltheway
11-22-2007, 10:51 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sportsbusiness/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball.html

It's definitely just CFB

soybean
11-22-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah I doubt Notre dame makes more money than UF other than football.

iowatreat54
11-22-2007, 12:20 PM
yeah I doubt Notre dame makes more money than UF other than football.

really? I wasn't under the impression that UF makes tons of money but I guess I was wrong, what makes them so profitable?...if someone asked me which college is most valuable/produces the most income I would instantly say ND without question

soybean
11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
really? I wasn't under the impression that UF makes tons of money but I guess I was wrong, what makes them so profitable?...if someone asked me which college is most valuable/produces the most income I would instantly say ND without question

well they have the number 1 sports program right now and not to mention all the revenue they get from gatorade.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Notre Dame is the most efficient. $50,500,000/win!

Sniper
11-22-2007, 01:24 PM

ND is strictly football though. UF just won back to back bball championships and is the defending football champs.

Green Bay Scat
11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
i know vandy isnt there...lol

iowatreat54
11-22-2007, 02:07 PM
ND is strictly football though. UF just won back to back bball championships and is the defending football champs.

oh, I understand ND is strictly football...when I read his statement I thought he meant other things besides athletics, which is why I thought ND was up there in terms of making money...but strictly athletics, I agree that UF dominates

Race for the Heisman
11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
It's sort of on the same line, I was just reading a newspaper article in the Wall Street Journal maybe 3 weeks ago about how the Ohio State football team turned enough of a profit to fund just about every other sports team on the campus.

BuddyCHRIST
11-23-2007, 09:36 PM
I get Big Ten games every single week on ESPN and most people who watch football have ESPN. If you want to switch channels and see how slow they are, do it.

themaninblack
11-23-2007, 09:44 PM
im surprised georgia is that high

therock6000
11-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Notre Dame is the most efficient. $50,500,000/win!

the truth hurts...

a lot...

Sniper
11-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I get Big Ten games every single week on ESPN and most people who watch football have ESPN. If you want to switch channels and see how slow they are, do it.

It looks slower in large part because of the fact that when you compare a traditional/Big 10 style of offense with these crazy things called tight ends and fullbacks to a spread/SEC style offense with 4 and 5 wide sets, obviously the spread looks and is faster. It's a different style of play. Who do you think runs faster? A receiver or a tight end?

On the defensive side of the ball, you can also adjust with that. Michigan's base package this year was a 5-2. How many 5-2 packages would work against the SEC's style of play? None. But then again, nickel and dime packages would get run on by Big 10 teams.