PDA

View Full Version : DE Long high on Jets' wish list

Sveen
11-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Although University of Virginia defensive end Chris Long, son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, is high on the Jets' early draft day wish list according to NFL insiders, those plans may change if second-year quarterback Kellen Clemens doesn't give the organization a reason to believe over the final five games of this lost season.

Quarterbacks usually take time to develop in the NFL (i.e. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer) and this year's draft class doesn't include a can't-miss kid at the position. Brian Brohm (Louisville), Matt Ryan (Boston College) and Andre' Woodson (Kentucky) are considered the top three prospects coming out and it's doubtful the Jets would draft any of them with their anticipated top-five pick. They'll likely go defense.

However, if Clemens bottoms out over these final five games, the Jets may have to search the free-agent market or recycle an aging veteran to hold the fort until they can get someone in place. It's highly unlikely they would go back to Chad Pennington, who isn't expected to return next season. He has a $7.8 million cap number and a $4.8 million base salary in 2008.

Clemens has been very ordinary in his first four career starts this season and hasn't impressed anyone with his much-ballyhooed arm strength. While he has been under heavy pressure, his decision making has been questionable.

Source: http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/119588266564260.xml&coll=1

ATLDirtyBirds
11-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Hopefully he is #1. I want McFadden.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2007, 08:46 AM
He's pretty much top 3 on every single NFL teams lists.

A Perfect Score
11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
am i the only one who thinks chris long will make a better 4-3 end then 3-4 when all is said and done? he has the skillset to be a perfect strongside end in a 4-3: very strong against the run with solid pass rush skills. Id rather see him wind up in a 4-3 oersonally, because i dont think he will weigh in much higher then 270, which IMO isnt big enough for a 3-4 end. Although i guess he does have teh skillset to play there as well... I dunno i just think he fits better at strong side DE in a 4-3.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-24-2007, 09:34 AM
am i the only one who thinks chris long will make a better 4-3 end then 3-4 when all is said and done? he has the skillset to be a perfect strongside end in a 4-3: very strong against the run with solid pass rush skills. Id rather see him wind up in a 4-3 oersonally, because i dont think he will weigh in much higher then 270, which IMO isnt big enough for a 3-4 end. Although i guess he does have teh skillset to play there as well... I dunno i just think he fits better at strong side DE in a 4-3.

I agree. The best comparison for him in my mind is Aaron Kampman. i think he makes a first LDE in a base 4-3 defense.

Young Legend
11-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I was thinking Aaron Kampman to..i think Long is best suited for the 43.

furiousgod
11-24-2007, 11:21 PM
ive watched him play twice this year and it seems like he is never double teamed on running plays. This is why i dont understand why a 3-4 team would want him, unless they are assuming he can add 30lbs and still play like he weighs less then 270.

Race for the Heisman
11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I actually think he might be better as a 4-3 defensive tackle. He plays the run extremely well from the interior positions and is great at slipping guys and getting through to the quarterback.

SenorGato
11-25-2007, 12:26 AM

Completely agreed.

Seymour when drafted was 300.

Warren was 300.

Castillo was 295.

Canty was 280 but at 6'7 with his frame 20 pounds was a joke.

Spears was 295.

Olshanksy is 295-300.

Ngata is 340!!

The lightest good 3-4 end I can think of is Pryce at 286. Pryce was drafted as a 4-3 DE/DT and plays next to two guys who weight 650 pounds. He's also playing 3-4 DE with one of the most talented D's in the league AND one of the best pass rushers (Suggs) lined up on his side alot of the time.

Two gap 3-4 NEEDS size on the D-lines. I want an anchor, and I'd rather not waste the talents of one of the drafts pass rushers AND pay him top 5 money to do it.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
What an odd article. It goes from Jets draft talk, to talking about how it depends on how Clemens does, then says there's no chance the Jets would actually draft a QB but instead would bring in a veteran.

Umm...what?

Also, did you guys know that Chris Long is Howie Long's son? Yup. Little known fact.

GaMeTiMe
11-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Also, did you guys know that Chris Long is Howie Long's son? Yup. Little known fact.

I think that's pretty much common knowledge..

bearsfan_51
11-25-2007, 01:23 PM

http://lifeinthemiddle.typepad.co.uk/life_in_the_middle/images/head_in_hands.jpg

NOBLE
11-25-2007, 01:30 PM
http://lifeinthemiddle.typepad.co.uk/life_in_the_middle/images/head_in_hands.jpg
LOL.

(10)

JT Jag
11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I think that's pretty much common knowledge..http://lifeinthemiddle.typepad.co.uk/life_in_the_middle/images/head_in_hands.jpg*rimshot!*

7-11
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
oh dear (10)

SeanTaylorRIP
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Ah thank you that made my day, in what was a pretty crappy day.

A Perfect Score
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
all this agreement with my post, and no + rep. Ahhh where are the good old days, where + rep flowed like the mighty river...bahahaha jokes. Yeah, I just cant see long playing 3-4 DE, i said it all above.

keylime_5
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Completely agreed.

Seymour when drafted was 300.

Warren was 300.

Castillo was 295.

Canty was 280 but at 6'7 with his frame 20 pounds was a joke.

Spears was 295.

Olshanksy is 295-300.

Ngata is 340!!

The lightest good 3-4 end I can think of is Pryce at 286. Pryce was drafted as a 4-3 DE/DT and plays next to two guys who weight 650 pounds. He's also playing 3-4 DE with one of the most talented D's in the league AND one of the best pass rushers (Suggs) lined up on his side alot of the time.

Two gap 3-4 NEEDS size on the D-lines. I want an anchor, and I'd rather not waste the talents of one of the drafts pass rushers AND pay him top 5 money to do it.

It's not so much size as it is technique. Chris Long at 6-4/290 would be ideal size considering his technique. I don't think he'd have any trouble whatsoever against the run in a 2 gap system. Long and Ellis at DEs would be a great combo of pass rush and run stopping at the ends of a 3-4. They would still need a big 320+ lb. NT though, Robertson is strictly 4-3 material.

BroadwayJoe10
11-25-2007, 09:15 PM
It's not so much size as it is technique. Chris Long at 6-4/290 would be ideal size considering his technique. I don't think he'd have any trouble whatsoever against the run in a 2 gap system. Long and Ellis at DEs would be a great combo of pass rush and run stopping at the ends of a 3-4. They would still need a big 320+ lb. NT though, Robertson is strictly 4-3 material.

He would be perfect at that size, especially with his ability to play the run and get to the qb. I, much like many others, dont seem to beleive he will weigh in anywhere close to 290. If he does, it'll be like dbrick and just lost the 10ish pounds after the weighin.

However, when this exact same question was asked to scott during his annual "ask scott or whatever its called" he said that he had recently spoken to Chris Long and said that he weighed in at 280+ and he had no reason to beleive that he didn't weigh it. As much faith as i always have in scott i just think that 6'4 280lbs is too undersized to play 3-4 DE and don't think he'll flourish in the system. But here's to hoping i am wrong.

I also read an article saying the same nfl insider said the jets had plans of using him as an olb. I dont see that working at all, and i hope whatever person in the FO said that doesn't make important personel decisions on our defense.

SenorGato
11-26-2007, 02:00 AM
I have trouble buying Long has one of those bodies where he can just pile on weight.

He's listed at275 on NFL Draft Scout and he's probably like 280 or so now.

Thats just too small.

OzTitan
11-26-2007, 04:43 AM
This is why he is a much better fit for the Raiders. Besides the family thing which is just down right cool, they need help stopping the run and a 4-3 DE like Long would help a lot I think.

BroadwayJoe10
11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I was recently looking at a few old combine results, mainly Shawne Merriman and Demarcus Ware. I know some people don't like the idea of drafting someone in the top 5 and changing their position, but does anyone else think if Chris Long comes in weighing 265ish and runs a sub 4.7 with a three cone drill sub 6.9 would he be a viable 3-4 OLB? I know people have said he is too undersized to play 3-4 DE and is best suited for the 4-3 DE, which i definately agree. But i am just trying to wrap my head around the idea that he may be able to play OLB. The jets defense only has one of their OLBs drop back into coverage, even though i feel he has the work ethic to be adeqaute. I am just thinking that if he puts up numbers like merriman and ware, which i think he can, does anyone else thnk he has the ability to play OLB?

Demarcus ware's combine results; 6'4 251 lbs 40 yard dash (4.56 combine * 4.52 proday) his 3-cone drill was 6.85. Merriman was 6'4 272 and ran a 4.62 40 at his proday. I also looked up Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons and Patrick Willis. All three who have the ability to drop back into coverage.

Poz: 6'1 238 40 - 4.7 and 6.94 three cone drill.
Timmons: 6'1 234 40 - 4.66 and 6.92 three cone drill
Willis: 6'1 242 40 - 4.51 and 7.23 three cone drill

bored of education
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Seriously, who wouldn't have this guy high on their list. I'd have him number 2 on my list, #1 being, of course, THE JORDY NELSON!

SenorGato
11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I was recently looking at a few old combine results, mainly Shawne Merriman and Demarcus Ware. I know some people don't like the idea of drafting someone in the top 5 and changing their position, but does anyone else think if Chris Long comes in weighing 265ish and runs a sub 4.7 with a three cone drill sub 6.9 would he be a viable 3-4 OLB? I know people have said he is too undersized to play 3-4 DE and is best suited for the 4-3 DE, which i definately agree. But i am just trying to wrap my head around the idea that he may be able to play OLB. The jets defense only has one of their OLBs drop back into coverage, even though i feel he has the work ethic to be adeqaute. I am just thinking that if he puts up numbers like merriman and ware, which i think he can, does anyone else thnk he has the ability to play OLB?

Demarcus ware's combine results; 6'4 251 lbs 40 yard dash (4.56 combine * 4.52 proday) his 3-cone drill was 6.85. Merriman was 6'4 272 and ran a 4.62 40 at his proday. I also looked up Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons and Patrick Willis. All three who have the ability to drop back into coverage.

Poz: 6'1 238 40 - 4.7 and 6.94 three cone drill.
Timmons: 6'1 234 40 - 4.66 and 6.92 three cone drill
Willis: 6'1 242 40 - 4.51 and 7.23 three cone drill

Ware, Willis, and Merriman were physical freaks...I just don't buy Long being in their class as athletes right now.

BroadwayJoe10
11-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I understand that those three were physical freaks and i understand the reservations on chris long, but I was posing the hypothetical question that if he came in at 265ish ran a sub 4.7 40 and an agility drill around 6.9 would he be a legitimate OLB? I think by the time the combine comes we may be putting long in the same talk as those 3.

I also think that willis' 3 cone drill was fairly pedestrian for as good as he is.

SenorGato
11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
I understand that those three were physical freaks and i understand the reservations on chris long, but I was posing the hypothetical question that if he came in at 265ish ran a sub 4.7 40 and an agility drill around 6.9 would he be a legitimate OLB? I think by the time the combine comes we may be putting long in the same talk as those 3.

I also think that willis' 3 cone drill was fairly pedestrian for as good as he is.

Oh...hell yea then. Thats unbelievable athleticism for the position.

SenorGato
11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Honestly, now that Tommy Blake is back and so much positive news is going around...he might enter the conversation...he reminds me so much of DeMarcus Ware...