PDA

View Full Version : Which position should we spend our 1st rounder on?

Xiomera
11-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Which position should we spend our first round pick on.

Let us assume that there is a player at every realistic position that is worthy of our selection . . .

I see these as the legitimate options:

DE
LB
CB
OT
RB

I won't dare put WR as one of the options . . .

Xiomera
11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
For me, it comes down to two positions: Offensive Tackle and Linebacker.

I would like us use our top two picks to address these positions.

I think Linebacker will be a deeper position this year, so I will say Offensive Tackle, but either would be fine with me.

Jagonsucker
11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
its close between cornerback, SAFETY, or Offensive Tackle. I picked o- tackle just because secondary is usually deep in drafts.

Crickett
11-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I said cornerback. Yeah I know, I'm not a Lions fan, but

A. The Lions NEED help at cornerback
B. I don't think the Lions are going to get rid of Backus.
C. Usually, top notch RT's can be found in round 2 or 3.

Bootland27
11-24-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna say CB....The draft comes after free agency and you should be able to get an OT during that period (I think Max Starks is a FA) . There aren't any good corners in FA except Asante Samuel.

We Need a CB who can step in and be a starter from day 1 (and be a top 2 corner one day). Guys like Antoine Cason or Aqib Talib are that good. You can get an OT like Chris Williams from Vandy in the 2nd rd, who simply doesn't allow sacks.

Unless we can get Asante Samuel, we gotta get a CB in the first round.

WMD
11-24-2007, 10:05 PM
I want to go defense in Round 1. DE, LB, CB.. Whichever it is. I think OT is a must in Round 2. We need a Right Tackle.. We need a LT too but we have plenty of money invested in Jeff Sackus.

But we'll probably end up taking Jonathan Stewart in Round 1 and DeMario Pressley in Round 2.

Scotty D
11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
We need a physical corner in the worst way. We have a swinging door at RT. I like Cherilous but he is limited to RT in the pros. He probably not be switching over to LT. So there are limitations to taking him compared to other tackles. For corners I like Mike Jenkins, but there are so many good corners this year I'm not sure where he fits in. I'm not exactly sure where we are picking right now so that could change some of my targets. I think its 18-25 right?

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
You guys should get Cason in round 1 and pick up Samuel.

Brodeur
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Someone to take over for Jeff Backus overrated ass would be nice, but I don't see much being available at the 15th or so pick so I'll say a CB, because the CB's we have are pathetic most of the time. ILB or SLB are also legitimate options so we'll see about that. As for DE, I'd settle for anything that isn't Kalimba Edwards.

I don't see RB as an immediate need though. Kevin Jones can get it done and a backup really isn't worth it until the 3rd round or so.

Scotty D
11-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Is there anybody you guys would trade our pick for? Second rounder also.

Xiomera
11-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Is there anybody you guys would trade our pick for? Second rounder also.

I'd give up our 2nd for Vilma.

Not sure who else is gonna be available . . . DeAngelo Hall? hmm . . .

WMD, I am gonna have to start calling him Jeff Sackus as well. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Bootland27
11-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Baltimore might be cleaning house during the offseason....Chris McAllister sounds nice.

detroit4life
11-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Baltimore might be cleaning house during the offseason....Chris McAllister sounds nice.

yes he does terrell suggs would be amazing but i doubt they'd move him.

Id trade our second for mcallister or vilma no question.

As far as our first round pick i said CB but i think OT is an good option too. I think taking an OT in the second would be better tho. I think they'll adress either CB OT or LB in FA too since i think we have a lot of dead money coming off our cap

casskid
11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
As bad as our secondary is, watching Saipia or whatever his name is made me throw up against Green Bay. Just the worst performance I have ever seen out of anyone ever. Like holocaust bad. You could probably get better value with a LB, or Safety at this point, but instead of value lets go by need and pick some one to help the oline out.

Iamcanadian
11-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I cannot speak for that a.shole Matt Millen's draft preferences but Cover 2 teams don't usually draft CB's in round 1. The Cover 2 CB's almost always play in zone coverage and wasting a 1st rounder on one shouldn't be in the works. Most Cover 2 teams draft their CB's in round 2 because they don't need shutdown CB's just good tacklers who understand how to play in a zone.
I still think we will be looking for a smaller DE who can apply real pressure on the QB. A real MLBer wouldn't be out of the question either. The Cover 2 relies almost completely on pressuring the QB by their front 4 and drafting a DE who can do that should be a priority. The better the pass rush applied by a Cover 2 team, the less pressure on the DB's and LB's playing in a zone defense.
I don't happen to think the OL is all that bad. We have an immobile QB who is asked to play in an offense that basically ignores the run. Other teams simply ask their DL to tee off on the QB and forget the run. That puts a huge amount of pressure on the OL and your going to see them beat at times. That is what you get with an immobile QB playing in Martz's system. Sure a great LT like a Pace or a Jones would be excellent but where we will be drafting, you aren't likely to find one.
So my draft would be:

1) DE
2) CB or MLB
3) the one that doesn't get drafted in round 2.

detroit4life
11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I cannot speak for that a.shole Matt Millen's draft preferences but Cover 2 teams don't usually draft CB's in round 1. The Cover 2 CB's almost always play in zone coverage and wasting a 1st rounder on one shouldn't be in the works. Most Cover 2 teams draft their CB's in round 2 because they don't need shutdown CB's just good tacklers who understand how to play in a zone.
I still think we will be looking for a smaller DE who can apply real pressure on the QB. A real MLBer wouldn't be out of the question either. The Cover 2 relies almost completely on pressuring the QB by their front 4 and drafting a DE who can do that should be a priority. The better the pass rush applied by a Cover 2 team, the less pressure on the DB's and LB's playing in a zone defense.
I don't happen to think the OL is all that bad. We have an immobile QB who is asked to play in an offense that basically ignores the run. Other teams simply ask their DL to tee off on the QB and forget the run. That puts a huge amount of pressure on the OL and your going to see them beat at times. That is what you get with an immobile QB playing in Martz's system. Sure a great LT like a Pace or a Jones would be excellent but where we will be drafting, you aren't likely to find one.
So my draft would be:

1) DE
2) CB or MLB
3) the one that doesn't get drafted in round 2.

i understand that fact about cover two teams and cbs but the truth is we dont run a cover two every down and our CB's are so bad that it would not be a waste IMO to take a CB in round one because they still need to be capable of covering. Every successful Cover two teams has pretty good CB's so i do believe it would be a good pick.
I think the biggest question on whether we look at a DE or not is how IAF is playing and how far he's progressing. A smaller DE would be great but i see that happening in the second or third round and most likly the third round. White is doing great and Devries and smith are playing well also.
MLB is a huge need which needs to be adressed i still see them doing this in FA though im not sure whose available either so MLB is definitly a possibility.
The oline is bad i understand that system doesnt help but watching the GB game their DE's beat our tackles nearly everytime. I dont see this line ever being good while Backus is at LT and I think we need a new LT and to move backus over to RT. I think the inside of our line is solid but our tackles need some serious help.

Iamcanadian
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
i understand that fact about cover two teams and cbs but the truth is we dont run a cover two every down and our CB's are so bad that it would not be a waste IMO to take a CB in round one because they still need to be capable of covering. Every successful Cover two teams has pretty good CB's so i do believe it would be a good pick.
I think the biggest question on whether we look at a DE or not is how IAF is playing and how far he's progressing. A smaller DE would be great but i see that happening in the second or third round and most likly the third round. White is doing great and Devries and smith are playing well also.
MLB is a huge need which needs to be adressed i still see them doing this in FA though im not sure whose available either so MLB is definitly a possibility.
The oline is bad i understand that system doesnt help but watching the GB game their DE's beat our tackles nearly everytime. I dont see this line ever being good while Backus is at LT and I think we need a new LT and to move backus over to RT. I think the inside of our line is solid but our tackles need some serious help.

I think it is a lot easier to find a CB in the draft who can play effectively in a Cover 2 zone scheme than it will be to find a great pass rushing DE. IAF's future is at DT, he is nowhere near fast enough to be a Cover 2 DE. I think he was drafted in case Redding couldn't be signed long term or Rogers wouldn't be in shape to contribute. he is a very simular player to Redding.
I agree that a stud LT would be nice but finding one especially by Millen, is doubtful where we will be drafting.
I simply think that we need to spend an entire draft and FA on our defense to bring it up to possible elite status. The offense has enough right now to get by while the defense is developed.
If we can add a special DE who can rack up sacks, our DL will be feared throughout the league and a lot of pressure will be removed from our LB's and DB's. JMO.

asmitty45
11-27-2007, 11:11 AM
CB - Malcolm Jenkins

He is officialy the player i want

Scotty D
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
CB - Malcolm Jenkins

He is officialy the player i want

He's gone top 10. Possibly top 5 (Patriots).

Xiomera
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
If the Lions lose this week, I want them to tank the rest of the year, lol.

Kidding . . . [sort of]. . .

detroit4life
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
If the Lions lose this week, I want them to tank the rest of the year, lol.

Kidding . . . [sort of]. . .

sad thing is if they arent able to win this game they may loose out with out even trying to

Average OT LB
11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I feel that drafting a DE is probably the best move. Not a Jamaal anderson type, but more of a pass rushing type. I like what the giants did with their line, they're just oozing with talent and it really showed... of course if that doesnt work you can always make the guy an olb, thats bee working remarkably well so far..

P-L
11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I want a CB in the worst way. I know CB's generally aren't drafted in the 1st Round by Tampa 2 teams, but I think CB is our #1 need. Fernando Bryant has been healthy this year, and he has played much better than I could've imagined. With that being said, he's still had some very bad games and he's probably better suited as a #2. The guy I currently have my eye on is Arizona CB Antoine Cason. I like other CB's better than him as draft prospects, but I think he's the best fit for the Tampa 2. He's got good size and speed (6'0" 190 4.45) and has great ball skills and is one of the better tackling corners in the draft.

My second choice would be DE. Kalimba is a fine situational pass rusher, but shouldn't be anywhere near a starting position. A guy I like that might be around when we pick in Derrick Harvey of Florida. If we opt to go for another position, a guy who might be there in Round 2 or even Round 3 (depending on how many DE's declare) is Chris Ellis of Virginia Tech.

Xiomera
11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Anyone realize that since 2001 when the Lions took Backus and Raiola, we haven't used a pick in any of the first three rounds on an Offensive Lineman? Anyone else find this problematic?

Since 2001, the only o-lineman drafted in the first four rounds of any draft was Manny Ramirez this past April . . .

Can anyone think of a good reason for not drafting a single lineman during this time?

Clearly this is part of my argument for taking a first round Offensive Tackle. As far as I am concerned, we should spend our first three picks on the offensive line. Just shore it up now and be done with it.

detroit4life
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Anyone realize that since 2001 when the Lions took Backus and Raiola, we haven't used a pick in any of the first three rounds on an Offensive Lineman? Anyone else find this problematic?

Since 2001, the only o-lineman drafted in the first four rounds of any draft was Manny Ramirez this past April . . .

Can anyone think of a good reason for not drafting a single lineman during this time?

Clearly this is part of my argument for taking a first round Offensive Tackle. As far as I am concerned, we should spend our first three picks on the offensive line. Just shore it up now and be done with it.

i agree with you but you could almost say the same thing for our defense. We shore up DE MLB and CB and our defense will be very good.

Besides IMO we only need a new OT that can either be an upgrade to backus at LT or play RT. Raiola Mutilato and Peterman have been doing a decent job. Plus i think Manny Ramirez has a good future

king2am
11-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Brilliant. That is a major problem in Detroit. I'll admit, i'm not a fan, but I do live in Michigan so I see enough of them to know that the offensive line is bad. I mean, sure, if they were allowed to get a mean streak going in the run game once in a while I think it would help their overall play but that's not the case with Martz.

Kurt Warner. Trent Green. Marc Bulger.

Trent Green might not count because he got injured before he could play in Mart'z system, but all those guys are immobile. Shoot, i'd say Kitna is more mobile than them. St. Louis however had a more stable line. Even if they had an average LT instead of Pace, they didn't have weaknesses up front.

So as long as it's Martz waving the red flag at the defensive lineman with Kitna standing behind it, Lineman must be a priority.

Big Board for position in the draft:

Sam Baker
Gosder Cheriluls
Derrick Harvey*
Vernon Gholston*

your answer for the edge rush in your cover 2, making your average corners look better