PDA

View Full Version : Erik Ainge (thanks Soybean lol)

bored of education
11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
SOYBEAN brought this up

But Where is Ainge now?

I think in the past few weeks he has proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is defintly worthy of a rd 1 pick. I have seen him play the last few years, over comming adversity, had some rough times, etc. But in the last few weeks I don't think anyone has raised his stock more than Ainge.

I dunno if he is number one qb but he is now number 2a on my list.

I think the kid can play.

SenorGato
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
The single most underrated prospect in this draft.

No QB in college handles the playclock better, he's got a short memory come gameday, excellent accuracy, excellent poise in the pocket, underrated arm, arm has room to grow with his frame (6'6 225), great leader, great character, 4 year starter at an SEC school, great production...

I would not be surprised if he ends up the best QB in this class.

bearsfan_51
11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
He's been too up and down to warrent a 1st round selection IMO. He's got the tools but people have been waiting for years for him to break out and be a consistant starter and that really hasn't happened to the degree that it should have. I think he's got as good of a shot as anyone at being the 4th QB taken, which means he could slip up like quarterbacks always seem to, but I don't see the 1st round.

SenorGato
11-24-2007, 06:36 PM
He's been too up and down to warrent a 1st round selection IMO. He's got the tools but people have been waiting for years for him to break out and be a consistant starter and that really hasn't happened to the degree that it should have. I think he's got as good of a shot as anyone at being the 4th QB taken, which means he could slip up like quarterbacks always seem to, but I don't see the 1st round.

True, I see him more as a Day 2 steal for someone.

Staubach12
11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Right now, I have him as 4:
1a. Matt Ryan
2a. Andre Woodson
2. Brian Brohm
3. Erik Ainge
4. Colt Brennan
5. Dennis Dixon
6. John David Booty
7. Sam Keller
8. Chad Henne
9. Joe Flacco

My top 10.

BamaFalcon59
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I have him behind Brohm and just behind Woodson. I like the kid a lot, and if he makes it to round 2 I want him for the Falcons.

Bobo
11-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I can't stack him up against other QB's, but as a Vol fan, he sometimes is frustrating. Some of his mistakes kept KY in this game today. He's a solid pocket passer, but can still make some better decisions imo.

On the other hand, he's doing good for what he's got. I think he's elevated the WR core. I just think he still tries to force too many passes at critical times. I'd guess he could go in the 2nd.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2007, 07:05 PM
I think people are overreacting after his game today, looking at stats, but IMO he played a poor game. So many mistakes, could have had more mistakes and Kentucky's defense was just horrid. It's not hard to play well when your wideouts are 20 yards open and Kentucky gave up and wouldn't even tackle.

georgiafan
11-24-2007, 07:12 PM
His stats are a little over rated since several of the TD's came in OT. I think he could develop into a starter in a few years more of a 2nd/ 3rd round guy IMO. The scouts will like his size

soybean
11-24-2007, 08:48 PM
True, I see him more as a Day 2 steal for someone.

day 2?? no, i think he'll definitely make it somewhere in day 1 after the first round.

He just looks so fluid out there. He plays EXACTLY like peyton. I know you can tell a lot by stats but if you ignore stats and just watch the way a person plays, I have no doubt that he has the most NFL potential out of the qbs.

I really could care less who won today, I was just amazed by his play, he dropped back had those little jittery hops that peyton does, surveyed the field and delivered the throw.

fenikz
11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
1. Brohmn
2. Woodson
3a. Ryan
3b. Brennan
3c. Ainge

that is how I see it

Smokey Joe
11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
i think he is a good second round developmental QB.

BuckNaked
11-24-2007, 09:53 PM
That's laughable. If Kentucky didn't have an atrocious defense, his stats would've looked pretty bad. Did you watch the game tonight, he didn't look like a first rounder in the least bit. His players got lucky on some short passes that escalated due to the fact that Kentucky can't tackle.

maryvillereb2003
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
bucknaked, his stats would ACTUALLY be better if his wr's hadnt dropped some balls late

also, no qb is going to have a big day without the defense missing some tackles

BuckNaked
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
bucknaked, his stats would ACTUALLY be better if his wr's hadnt dropped some balls late

also, no qb is going to have a big day without the defense missing some tackles

I'm sorry, did you say SOME tackles? I think the word you were looking for was plethora. Yes, the Kentucky defense did in fact miss a plethora of tackles.

toonsterwu
11-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on that, but I think Ainge has always been in that 2nd tier mix, meaning anywhere from the 2nd-4th round, although he probably his chances of going in the 4th is quite slim. I could see late round 1 if teams start feeling antsy about a guy not falling there. Bowl game/postseason will be big for him.

BuddyCHRIST
11-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Kentucky has an awful defense, imo if your picking him high its more on potential as he has great size and a good overall arm. But he was benched on and off for 2 years so saying he's a 4 year starter is a bit misleading. His decision making is very questionable as is durability and he doesn't move well in the pocket. But hey he could become the next Derek Anderson.

11-25-2007, 10:30 AM
my top 10, IMO

1. Matt Ryan
2. Brian Brohm
3. Andre Woodson
4. Eric Ainge
5. Colt Brennan
6. Dennis Dixon
7. Joe Flacco
8. Josh Johnson
9. Kyle Wright
10. Ricky Santos

Travis 24
11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Brian Brohm Louisville
Matt Ryan Boston College
Andre Woodson Kentucky
Josh Johnson San Diego
Erik Ainge Tennessee
Chad Henne Michigan
Joe Flacco Delaware
Colt Brennan Hawaii
Sam Kellar Nebraska
Paul Smith Tulsa
John David Booty USC
Alex Brink Washington State
Dennis Dixon Oregon
Ricky Santos New Hampshire
Omar Haugabook Troy
Taylor Tharp Boise State
Steve Walker North Dakota State
Adam Tafralis San Jose State
Kevin O'Connell San Diego State

I like Ainge a lot...Have him #5

Bearsfan123
11-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I want the Bears to draft him. Ive been saying it for awhile. Draft him in either the late second or early third.

TitanHope
11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
But he was benched on and off for 2 years so saying he's a 4 year starter is a bit misleading.

In his freshman year, he was in a 2-QB system. He played on 1st and 2nd Down, and Brent Schaffer played 3rd Down and usually rushed for it. You can't hold that against him, as he did beat out Schaffer in the end. The coaching staff just wanted to see who was better, and tried to give them both playing time.

You can hold his sophomore season against him, but that year the entire offense was horrible.

I have Ainge as my 4th QB, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team took Brennan over him due to Brennan's manueverability. Both are probably 2nd RD picks, since a few teams need QB's and the difference between the 1st and 2nd Tier of QB's isn't very big, in my opinion.

Staubach12
11-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Brian Brohm Louisville
Matt Ryan Boston College
Andre Woodson Kentucky
Josh Johnson San Diego
Erik Ainge Tennessee
Chad Henne Michigan
Joe Flacco Delaware
Colt Brennan Hawaii
Sam Kellar Nebraska
Paul Smith Tulsa
John David Booty USC
Alex Brink Washington State
Dennis Dixon Oregon
Ricky Santos New Hampshire
Omar Haugabook Troy
Taylor Tharp Boise State
Steve Walker North Dakota State
Adam Tafralis San Jose State
Kevin O'Connell San Diego State

I like Ainge a lot...Have him #5

Josh Johnson #4? Explain.

Cashmoney
11-26-2007, 02:43 AM
I'd take him over Matt Ryan thats for sure.

SenorGato
11-26-2007, 03:21 AM
I'd take him over Matt Ryan thats for sure.

After watching Ainge and Ryan this season I don't even see the difference.

Well...Ryan is better at improvising a play than Ainge is...but otherwise I really don't see the difference. The big knock on Ainge is arm strength, but Matt Ryan's arm strength has never blown me away.

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 04:41 AM
I think people are overreacting after his game today, looking at stats, but IMO he played a poor game. So many mistakes, could have had more mistakes and Kentucky's defense was just horrid. It's not hard to play well when your wideouts are 20 yards open and Kentucky gave up and wouldn't even tackle.

Kentucky gave up 7 points in the 2nd half, and even forced a turnover in overtime. To expect the Kentucky (or any) defense to hold Tennessee to a FG or less in the 4OT is ridiculous imo.

Ainge played a great game though, the Tennessee play calling got really bad in the second half. I personally think Ainge will be the 4th QB chosen and maybe the 3rd when all is said and done, if he has a great Senior Bowl.

My QB rankings
1. Matt Ryan (Top 10)
2. Andre' Woodson (Top 15)
3. Brian Brohm (Top 15)
4. Erik Ainge (Top 40)
5. John David Booty (Top 70)
6. Chad Henne (Top 100)
7. Colt Brennan (Top 150)
8. Dennis Dixon (Top 150)
9. Kyle Wright (Top 200)
10. Joe Flacco (Top 200)

Bobo
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Well...Ryan is better at improvising a play than Ainge is...but otherwise I really don't see the difference. The big knock on Ainge is arm strength, but Matt Ryan's arm strength has never blown me away.

Anyone who has watched Ainge his whole career knows there is no arm strength issue. In fact he's got a pretty strong arm....not sure why I've read a few times on this forum that he doesn't.

soybean
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
the only negative I can think of is his inconsistency and maybe that unquantifiable "it" factor.

he's got good footwork, moves around well, decent arm strength, good decision maker, good delivery, checks off his receivers.

SenorGato
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone who has watched Ainge his whole career knows there is no arm strength issue. In fact he's got a pretty strong arm....not sure why I've read a few times on this forum that he doesn't.

Believe me...I'm one of the people who doesn't buy the arm strength issue at all.

georgiafan
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Arm strength wouldn't be a issue in my eyes, I watched Harrington live this week and I know he has a stronger arm then him. I know that's not saying much though

NIMV
11-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Eric Ainge=Derek Anderson

SenorGato
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Not a bad comp as far as physical skills go.

bearfan
11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I have been high on him since I saw him in an early game this year. I think a 2nd rounder, BUT he did throw 7TDs to Woodsons 6. Ainge FTW ;)

mqtirishfan
11-26-2007, 04:42 PM
good decision maker

No. Just no.

He has an NFL arm, an NFL body, but I don't think he has an NFL mind. He makes awful decisions with the ball, and I question his ability to read a defense. I've watched him a lot over the past 4 years, and I can't even believe that he would attempt some of the throws he's tried.

soybean
12-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Just like Anderson during his days at Oregon St. Erik Ainge has had a star-crossed college career at Tennessee that has featured both flashes of brilliance as well as stretches of frustrating inconsistency.

good call.

also.
However like Anderson he also has all the physical tools you look for in a starting quarterback at the next level and if he can just develop a little more consistency there is a very good chance he could vastly outperform his draft slot.

SenorGato
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
good call.

also.

QFT.

Anderson is the perfect comparison to Ainge. They have similar heights, builds, strengths, and weaknesses coming out of college.

TitanHope
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Once again, Ainge has proven his ability and tendency to choke in key situations. He threw 2 crucial picks in the SEC Championship, one of which was returned for a TD. Bobo is correct in that he doesn't have that "it" factor. He has everything else though.

Another thing is, David Cutcliffe makes Ainge throw quickly...sometimes too quickly. Cutcliffe hates sacks. He will not allow them, and if the QB is sacked for holding the ball too long, he will bench the QB. There's a reason why Ainge has been sacked only 3 times this year. He doesn't step up in the pocket and wait for the play to open. It's a 3-5 step drop, scan, throw. When he's in the NFL, he won't have to rush his throws which will help with the decision making problem.

no love
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
QFT.

Anderson is the perfect comparison to Ainge. They have similar heights, builds, strengths, and weaknesses coming out of college.

I don't see it. Anderson has a cannon compared to Ainge and most of his bad decisions were the result of his overconfidence in his arm. Ainge seems a lot more conservative compared to Anderson from what I have seen of him and he is much more likely to take the check down while Anderson would try to be superman and make some of the most boneheaded throws.

That said they are both similar heights and builds. And both had problems reading defenses.

BamaFalcon59
12-04-2007, 07:29 PM

I agree with that.

Bobo
12-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Another thing is, David Cutcliffe makes Ainge throw quickly...sometimes too quickly. Cutcliffe hates sacks. He will not allow them, and if the QB is sacked for holding the ball too long, he will bench the QB. There's a reason why Ainge has been sacked only 3 times this year. He doesn't step up in the pocket and wait for the play to open. It's a 3-5 step drop, scan, throw. When he's in the NFL, he won't have to rush his throws which will help with the decision making problem.

I've been thinking the exact same thing, and it's kinda hard to put your finger on and put into words. But it looks like sometimes he's hurt by that system by forcing plays that Cutcliffe wants. It's like the system is too controlling at times. Then you see Ainge panicking, getting happy feet, then forcing something.

Ainge didn't have a good SEC Championship game. A few of those bad plays may be attributed to what we think we're seeing. But this is kind of a gray area thing that makes him a little hard to judge.

bored of education
12-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Ainge is money.

Ainge and Flacco my two favorite QB prospects this year!