PDA

View Full Version : Have the All-American teams been announced?

SuperKevin
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm just wondering because this weekend I noticed they referred to players like Craig Steltz and the Missouri safety Moore as All-Americans

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm just wondering because this weekend I noticed they referred to players like Craig Steltz and the Missouri safety Moore as All-AmericansI think it's either next Sunday or a week from Saturday, but all I know is they haven't.

Iamcanadian
11-24-2007, 11:02 PM
There are dozens of them so what's the difference.

BuckNaked
11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
They haven't been released yet.

Shane P. Hallam
11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Not released, but the players know.

I know most of the Buckeyes, Kirk Barton went on the radio and mentioned it.

etk
11-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm just wondering because this weekend I noticed they referred to players like Craig Steltz and the Missouri safety Moore as All-Americans

That was REALLY pissing me off. They called Craig Steltz an All-American safety at least 5 times. Steltz didn't even start last year so I couldn't understand what they were thinking. You can't call anyone an All-American until they've actually made the team.

BuddyCHRIST
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
not to mention Steltz is really bad.

etk
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
not to mention Steltz is really bad.

Yeah, that's part of the reason. A couple picks fall into his hands and he jumps on a bunch of piles and suddenly he's the best safety in America? Come on now.

Babylon
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
I suggest you watch LSU games and tell me Stletz is really bad. The guy can cover and is a big hitter and no it doesnt matter that he wasnt a starter last year. As for AA teams i agree it doesnt matter much as there are a ton of guys that are going to make one team or another.

darnik44two
11-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I suggest you watch LSU games and tell me Stletz is really bad. The guy can cover and is a big hitter and no it doesnt matter that he wasnt a starter last year. As for AA teams i agree it doesnt matter much as there are a ton of guys that are going to make one team or another.

I agree, Steltz is a great player. He plays smart and is always in the right place. What does last year have to do with anything? Phil Loadhold played JC, and I bet he's atleast a 2nd team AA.

Babylon
11-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree, Steltz is a great player. He plays smart and is always in the right place. What does last year have to do with anything? Phil Loadhold played JC, and I bet he's atleast a 2nd team AA.

No doubt Loadholt will get consideration. Big thing to remember it's an AA team not an all nfl draft team. Steltz isnt the prospect that Kenny Phillips is but his production, at least to me, is far superior.

big daddy russ
11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's part of the reason. A couple picks fall into his hands and he jumps on a bunch of piles and suddenly he's the best safety in America? Come on now.

LOL. Isn't that the reason they play on the D instead of O?

I think Steltz is a hell of a DB. I also think it's funny that everyone on here is trying to dog him.

etk
11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
LOL. Isn't that the reason they play on the D instead of O?

I think Steltz is a hell of a DB. I also think it's funny that everyone on here is trying to dog him.

I'm saying he doesn't make a lot of quality tackles. He might be the leading tackler on LSU, but he gets a lot of assists and pilejumps. Ali Highsmith makes quality solo tackles, there's a difference.

Someone else said Steltz is a big hitter. I'd like to see proof, because I've seen about half of LSU's games and I've never seen him show that as part of his games. I've actually seen him get overpowered to the ball a few times.

Darnik got it right, he plays smart and in the right place. But that's not enough to merit AA consideration IMO. Kenny Phillips and other safeties would make Steltz look like a preschooler on a football field if they were playing side-by-side. Let the best and most dominant players get the accolades, not Craig Steltz (and also Jamie Silva).

BuddyCHRIST
11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I've seen just about every game that LSU has played this year and Steltz is way overrated. He's gotten INT's in garbage time and against crappy teams. He very poor in coverage, he doesn't have the range to cover a sideline and is always just stuck to the middle of the field where he takes bad angles and gives up big plays constantly. He's a pretty good tackler when he hasn't taken a bad angle and ran himself out of a play, and he will make tackles near the LOS but thats just because he's the eight man in the box and blockers are occupied.

He makes some plays but gives up just as many, and part of the reason he was getting so much hype was because he was the leader of a great LSU defense, well now that the LSU defense has been exposed as to how average they are, everybody can see how average he is.

Not to mention he's a cheap hitter, he goes high on guys coming across the middle all the time.

jared
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm saying he doesn't make a lot of quality tackles. He might be the leading tackler on LSU, but he gets a lot of assists and pilejumps. Ali Highsmith makes quality solo tackles, there's a difference.

Someone else said Steltz is a big hitter. I'd like to see proof, because I've seen about half of LSU's games and I've never seen him show that as part of his games. I've actually seen him get overpowered to the ball a few times.

Darnik got it right, he plays smart and in the right place. But that's not enough to merit AA consideration IMO. Kenny Phillips and other safeties would make Steltz look like a preschooler on a football field if they were playing side-by-side. Let the best and most dominant players get the accolades, not Craig Steltz (and also Jamie Silva).

Hitting hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKU97E2M28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVujO7b8kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG21YgB1uFw

Steltz LEADS the team with 59 SOLO tackles, Highsmith has 39. I'm not sure what a "quality" solo tackle looks like, maybe if Steltz put a stone cold stunner on WR's more often. By the way, Highsmith leads the team with assisted tackles (47), Steltz is tied for 4th (31). That's 16 less pile-on's for those that are counting.

I've seen about half of LSU's games as well. I think he's a strong, fairly smart, athletic safety. He's a team leader and leading playmaker for one of the most talented defenses in the country. He makes a hell of a lot more plays than he misses. Exactly who are all these "other safeties" that would make him look like a preschooler? He's pretty much a consensus top 5 SR safety prospect.

It doesn't matter, when people don't like a guy, every INT he makes will be luck and every tackle he makes will be a pile-on.

He also had 4 "lucky" INTs and 5 "he-just-so-happened-to-be-standing there" passes defensed last year while playing in sub packages. He also had almost as many solo tackles (20) as STARTING LB Ali Highsmith that year (26).

Sniper
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Not released, but the players know.

I know most of the Buckeyes, Kirk Barton went on the radio and mentioned it.

Wasn't that for the All Big 10 squad?