PDA

View Full Version : Mike Jenkins

boogeydown
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
can someone tell me more about the him, I haven't watched any USF games so I'm not familiar with him. who does he compare to in the pro's?

Travis 24
11-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Al Harris is who he reminds me of..

foozball
11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
You know what...he really reminds me of Fred Bennett, formerly of South Carolina and now the Houston Texans. Bennett had good cover skills, and racked up the PBU's, but his ballskills were a bit questionable and he didn't really get many INT's. Same thing with Jenkins. He doesn't have a whole lot of INT's (3 this year and 6 for his career), but he had 15 PBU last year and 12 this year. Also, Bennett's physicality was also a bit suspect. People questioned his ability to support the run. Jenkins only has 38 tackles this year and only had 27 the year before.

Not to mention they have similar size. Jenkins at 6'0 200lbs and Bennett at 6'1 197lbs. Similar speed as well, as Fred ran a 4.45 and Jenkins should run in the 4.45-4.5 area.

Fred's been doing awesome in limited playing time due to injury, but he's won the starting job for the Texans and has really improved. His ballskills seem to have developed as well.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Also, Bennett's physicality was also a bit suspect. People questioned his ability to support the run. Jenkins only has 38 tackles this year and only had 27 the year before.

Not to mention they have similar size. Jenkins at 6'0 200lbs and Bennett at 6'1 197lbs. Similar speed as well, as Fred ran a 4.45 and Jenkins should run in the 4.45-4.5 area.

Why on earth would you question his physicality? He hits like a freaking safety and most of his tackles come up on the run. He doesn't get thrown to often and a lot of those balls are deflections so the stats are decieving. I also expect him to run closer to a 4.37-4.4 than 4.45.

foozball
11-25-2007, 12:27 AM
let me rephrase that. the scouting reports ive read (noticed how i said PEOPLE questioned his ability to support the run...that wasn't my perosnal scouting report) have said that with Bennett's size, he should be more of a factor in run support. it's not like the guy is gonna sidestep a tackle because he's afraid or something. scouting reports on jenkins have been similar in that he has really good size for a CB at 200lbs but he should be more of a factor in run support than he is.

toonsterwu
11-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I think of Rashean Mathis when I think of Jenkins. Jenkins has a good shot of going round 1, and perhaps even mid-first, although late first seems more likely.

Wootylicous
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
How about is teammate Trae Williams ?

energizerbunny
11-25-2007, 12:04 PM
let me rephrase that. the scouting reports ive read (noticed how i said PEOPLE questioned his ability to support the run...that wasn't my perosnal scouting report) have said that with Bennett's size, he should be more of a factor in run support. it's not like the guy is gonna sidestep a tackle because he's afraid or something. scouting reports on jenkins have been similar in that he has really good size for a CB at 200lbs but he should be more of a factor in run support than he is.

Mike Jenkins might be one of the most physical corners in the NCAA. You cannot look at someones tackle numbers and all of a sudden deem them not physical. The reason Jenkins tackle numbers aren't really high is because teams will rarely throw the ball to his WR. He is probally one of the best tacklers on the USF Defence.

Saying Mike Jenkins isn't physial is like saying Jamarcus Russell doesn't have a strong arm.

energizerbunny
11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
How about is teammate Trae Williams ?

He is going to make a heck of a nickle back in the nfl, has some great hip shivel and really is great fiesty little corner. In todays NFL i'll be shocked if he isn't drafted in the 2nd-4th range.