PDA

View Full Version : Lazy, unmotivated, bored and lonely mock

Crow
11-25-2007, 12:31 AM
1 Miami - Chris Long
The Fins defense is horrendous. Long is a game changer and exactly what Miami needs.

2 New England (from San Francisco) - Darren McFadden
Unfair, isn't it? Maroney hasn't demonstrated the ability to shoulder a heavy load. Other than Wes Welker, there are age (Moss) and durability concerns (Stallworth) in the WR corps that they're leaning so heavily on. They're going to have to come back down to earth soon, and Run DMc provides them a nice cushion to land on and the potential to have a ground game as dynamic as their passing game.

3 Oakland - Glenn Dorsey
Like Miami, Oakland has a sieve for a defense. Very good corners, athletic LBs, but nothing up front. Dorsey will immediately upgrade a unit in desperate need of talent.

4 New York Jets - Jake Long
Hard to imagine a team taking a tackle this high so soon after having just done the same thing a couple years ago. But, the fact remains that the Jets' O-line needs a lot of help. Long will step right in and, along with Ferguson, give the New York a strong set of bookends.

5 Cincinnati - Sedrick Ellis
Another team with a porous defense picking in the top 5. No coincidence there. I would have never expected a team with this much offensive firepower could fall so far in just one season. But, here they are. And with this pick, they add an interior terror to help boost their sagging defense.

6 Atlanta - Matt Ryan
I really would have liked to have bucked the trend and gone O-line here, but I simply cannot see Petrino passing up the chance to upgrade his shaky QB situation. Harrington and Leftwich are career journeymen. The Falcons need someone who will be ready to play sooner rather than later, and Ryan is that guy. The sooner he can take the reigns, the sooner Atlanta can put the Michael Vick disaster behind them.

7 Kansas City - Ryan Clady
The strength on the KC offense for years has been their incomparable O-line. Over the last two seasons, the organization has sat idly by as this once great line deteriorated into near shambles. With this pick, they begin to reverse that trend.

8 St. Louis - Gosder Cherilus
This offense fell completely apart when Orlando Pace went down. At Pace's advanced age, there's little reason to believe that injuries won't continue to be a problem. Cherilus would eventually succeed Pace, and could even unseat RT Alex Barron in the mean time.

9 New Orleans - Reggie Smith
The Saints thought they could patch up their horrid pass defense with mid-level FAs. They were wrong. Now, they go about things the right way.

10 Baltimore - Andre Woodson
I'm fairly certain that Brian Billick's days in Baltimore are numbered, and with him goes the erratic Kyle Boller. Whoever takes over is going to find himself in the same boat as Bobby Petrino. Woodson is a bit of a gamble, but it's a gamble on greatness. The Ravens roll the dice here and hope for a 7.

11 Minnesota - Brian Brohm
Ideally, I think the Vikes would rather trade up and have their pick of signal callers. But since I'm not doing trades in this mock, they take a potential "franchise QB" that falls into their lap. Tavaris Jackson hasn't given the team any reason to believe he'll develop into a starting caliber passer. I normally don't like the idea of cutting bait so soon on a QB drafted so high, but in this case, it's a must.

12 Carolina - Kenny Phillips
In a lean year for safeties, Phillips is clearly head & shoulders above the rest. The Panthers have pressing needs across the board, but I think Phillips' value here is good.

13 Denver - James Laurinaitis
I still question the move of D.J. Williams to MLB. I feel like the Broncos would be best served by moving him back outside. But to do so, they need to add a capable player inside. In this mock, they do just that.

14 Chicago - DeSean Jackson
Chances are, Bernard Berrian is going to cash in this offseason as a FA. There's no one on the Bears' roster capable of filling the void, so they take the top WR prospect here. They would have liked to have gotten a tackle here, but the value just isn't there.

15 Arizona - Dan Conner
A stud LB who can play all 3 positions in a 43 defense, and either inside spot in the 3-4. The type of player makes your defense better as soon as he laces up his cleats.

16 Houston - Jonathan Stewart
The Texans have gone defense early and often in recent drafts. This year, they take a ton of pressure off of QB Matt Schaub by finally adding a feature caliber back.

17 Buffalo - Malcolm Jenkins
Could have gone a lot of different ways here, but saw an opportunity to match need with value.

18 Tennessee - Keith Rivers
Vince Young needs help on offense. But the value here is on the defensive side of the ball. The Titans get some good value here and add a terrific player to an already stout defense.

19 Philadelphia - Calais Campbell
You wouldn't think a guy this size could disappear. But that's the tendency that drops Campbell out of the top 10. Even more invisible are the soon-to-be released ends that he replaces: Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard.

20 Washington - Vernon Gholston
The Skins have the most talented pair of safeties in the game. The one way they can make them even better is to apply more pressure up front. This pick should help.

21 Seattle - Mike Jenkins
A value pick, and as has been proven time and again: If you don't have 3 good corners, you're in trouble. I'll probably get butchered for this one.

22 San Diego - Philip Wheeler
Despite the job the new coaching staff has done on this team, there are very few weaknesses. One place that could be easily upgraded, though, is ILB. With two brutes outside, adding a big time player like Wheeler would be almost unfair.

23 Tampa Bay - Sam Baker
A good lineman who gets a little extra hype being a Trojan. Nice value here and someone the Bucs need badly.

24 Detroit - Aqib Talib
Tampa-2 teams don't normally look for corners this early. But between the glaring need and the talent available, it just makes sense here. Talib has the size and gets his hands on a lot of balls. With the way Detroit's offense is coming along, they're going to need more DBs because opposing offenses will be throwing a lot just trying to keep up.

25 Pittsburgh - Quentin Groves
Joins Timmons and Woodley is a young and potentially dynamic LB corps. Could easily shift back to DE if Tomlin ever decides to change to his favored 4-3.

26 Jacksonville - Ali Highsmith
Smaller than the usual Jaguar LB, Highsmith represents a big upgrade over Clint Ingram outside. Almost went CB or DE with this pick, and probably should have. But for now, it's Highsmith.

27 Dallas (from Cleveland) - Antoine Cason
Should go a lot higher if he can shave a tenth off his 40 time.

28 New York Giants - Steve Slaton
Brandon Jacobs has his moments, but he's just not the same "thunder" without Tiki's "lightning". Slaton gives the Giants back their two-headed monster running game.

29 San Francisco (from Indianapolis) - Shawn Crable
Big, athletic pass rusher who the 9ers hope will push Tully Banta-Cain to the bench.

30 Dallas - Tony Hills
Local product who plays a need position. Could develop into a very good LT.

31 Green Bay - Terrell Thomas
The Packers have the best CB tandem in the league. Problem is, they're both north of 30 and there's no depth behind them. Well, now there is.

32 New England (pick forfeited because they're dirty cheating bastards)

fenikz
11-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Connor doesn't fit in AZ, we are set at LB in the 4-3 with Pace, Hayes and Dansby and he is too small to play 3-4 OLB or ILB, it's a common mistake that people are making, I guess no body watches the Cardinals and don't get to see how good Hayes and Dansby are

I'd be happy with Campbell, Gholston, or Jenkins at that spot

foozball
11-25-2007, 12:42 AM
if you put Long #1 overall, youre gonna have to give a reason why they passed on Dorsey and Jake

Bar-bq
11-25-2007, 01:46 AM
I can't see Godser Cherilus to the Rams right now.

Would much prefer Kenny Phillips there, Laurinitis or Calais Campbell.

But nice otherwise.

skinzzfan25
11-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I think the Redskins would trade up 2 spots and try to nab Campbell. He would fit our defense much nicer than Gholston.

Jakey
11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Connor doesn't fit in AZ, we are set at LB in the 4-3 with Pace, Hayes and Dansby and he is too small to play 3-4 OLB or ILB, it's a common mistake that people are making, I guess no body watches the Cardinals and don't get to see how good Hayes and Dansby are

I'd be happy with Campbell, Gholston, or Jenkins at that spot

Conner would be a great ILB in a 3-4...but i agree, you really dont need one!

NYGibril28
11-25-2007, 09:11 AM
i like it because its different

and with how horrible our pass defense is, any secondary player, or a coverage LB would be a much better pick than Slaton. If we can get Slaton, and our pass defense doesn't suck next year, then we're good.

Bills2083
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM
If Malcolm Kelly doesn't declare, I'd really want to draft Malcolm Jenkins. Then in the second, we could go with Adarius Bowman. Then a LB and DT in the 3rd.

I like that pick for Buffalo

Jakey
11-25-2007, 09:35 AM
I dont mind the pick for the Steelers...but we have got bigger needs...i.e O-Line/CB/WR

gsorace
11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't really like the idea of the Jets taking a right tackle with a top 5 pick

A Perfect Score
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
i like the mock...you yook some chances, knowing you would be critisized. good job. As for the ravens, i hate the pick. Its not you, i just dislike any of the QBs in this class and wouldnt want to label any of them frenchise QBs. Id much rather have malcolm jenkins there, even though it wont work out that way.

Babylon
11-25-2007, 10:40 AM
If i'm the Bears i have to get an OL or a QB with that pick, think it's way too high for Desean Jackson to go.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Great Raven pick IMO. But if we do draft Woodson i sure hope Brian Billick leaves our team for good becasue Im sure he will do the same to Woodson as he did to Boller.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I really can't see Petrino passing on Brohm. With a weak NFC South, we plan on spending alot in FA, and competing. The best way to do that is to have someone who knows his way around the Petrino playbook.

Edit- An one who is obviously more talented than Joey Harrington and Bryon Leftwich.

saintsfan912
11-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd probably rather have Kenny Phillips with the Saints pick. He would be an immediate upgrade over Bullocks or even Harper.

Crow
11-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Great Raven pick IMO. But if we do draft Woodson i sure hope Brian Billick leaves our team for good becasue Im sure he will do the same to Woodson as he did to Boller.
Hah. I think that's probably a given unless the team goes on a run
if you put Long #1 overall, youre gonna have to give a reason why they passed on Dorsey and Jake
Jake Long isn't #1 overall caliber. It was between Dorsey and Long, and I think Long's offseason (coupled with the hype machine that will no doubt be behind him) will put him over the top. I think he's probably the safest pick in the draft and that the talent difference between he and Dorsey is negligible.
I don't really like the idea of the Jets taking a right tackle with a top 5 pick
I wasn't thrilled with it either. But the Jets OL really needs some help. Mangold can't block everybody on his own. I could have gone a lot of different directions, but I went with the guy who could best help their young QB develop without developing David Carr's Disease. Also, you know this pick would give Thomas Jones fits of joy.
i like the mock...you yook some chances, knowing you would be critisized. good job. As for the ravens, i hate the pick. Its not you, i just dislike any of the QBs in this class and wouldnt want to label any of them frenchise QBs. Id much rather have malcolm jenkins there, even though it wont work out that way.
I know the feeling. I didn't like last year's QBs, and my Raiders ended up dropping the #1 overall pick on one. It's a hard pill to swallow. But unless the Ravens can find a veteran QB in FA who can hold the job for more than a couple years, I think they'd have to choke this pick down. It goes against my personal feelings with regards to drafting QBs, but I don't get paid to make those decisions.

As for DeSean Jackson, it probably is a little high. But, the combine is a mother. Unless Hester settles in at WR well enough to replace Berrian, they're going to be in trouble. Yeah, O-line would have been great. But everything I've read has Baker falling. It would have been the popular pick here, but I elected to look for OL help in Rd2...if I ever get around to throwing that together.

Crow
11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I really can't see Petrino passing on Brohm. With a weak NFC South, we plan on spending alot in FA, and competing. The best way to do that is to have someone who knows his way around the Petrino playbook.

Edit- An one who is obviously more talented than Joey Harrington and Bryon Leftwich.
I can understand that logic. But I also understand that Petrino, better anyone else, knows Brohm's limitations and how prone to injury he may or may not be. I think it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not Petrino would want Brohm. Given that there's a more durable and more pro-ready QB available, I think he'd opt to go in that direction. Personal opinion.
I'd probably rather have Kenny Phillips with the Saints pick. He would be an immediate upgrade over Bullocks or even Harper.
I doubt they're looking to upgrade Harper this soon, but Bullocks is a guy who's had enough time to come around and really hasn't. Still, the CB situation in NOLA is pretty bad. I could see them going either way, but their corners are just bad.

Babylon
11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I can understand that logic. But I also understand that Petrino, better anyone else, knows Brohm's limitations and how prone to injury he may or may not be. I think it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not Petrino would want Brohm. Given that there's a more durable and more pro-ready QB available, I think he'd opt to go in that direction. Personal opinion.

I doubt they're looking to upgrade Harper this soon, but Bullocks is a guy who's had enough time to come around and really hasn't. Still, the CB situation in NOLA is pretty bad. I could see them going either way, but their corners are just bad.

Brohm has been durable all season with a suspect line in front of him and how is he not pro ready. He grew up in a passing family and passed a ton in highschool and at UL. He's the most pro ready of any QB to come out in years. I'd say it's 90-10 that Petrino would want the guy.

Crow
11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I didn't say Brohm wasn't pro-ready. I just said that Matt Ryan was a lot more pro-ready.

Yung Flippa
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Good Ravens Pick.

Crow
11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
No need in doing a Rd2. Oakland just shocked the world and smoked my draft order.

Vikes99ej
11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Starting to lean towards an offensive lineman for the Vikes.

TitanHope
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
18 Tennessee - Keith Rivers
Vince Young needs help on offense. But the value here is on the defensive side of the ball. The Titans get some good value here and add a terrific player to an already stout defense.

Poor pick. We're already set at OLB with Keith Bulluck and David Thornton, two very good and highly paid LB's. He probably can't play MLB, so thats a no go. We'd be drafting a guy who'd be coming off the bench for te first few seasons of his career, and Rivers isn't an unpassable player at Pick 18.

If we do go defense, we go DT or CB. If we go offense, we go WR, TE, or OG. There should be value at one of those positions, especially WR as you only have Desean Jackson off the board.

Go_Eagles77
11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Getting Campbell that low would be GREAT

BaLLiN
11-25-2007, 05:29 PM
slaton in the early/mid second, giants will trade up, but i think that his offensive scheme at WV will hurt his stock because its mainly running and its spread out.

superfly69
11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Cowboys won't take an OT in round 1. They drafted 2 last year and Pat McQuistan, who is their backup tackle, will take over for Adams next year.

princefielder28
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
No way does Malcolm Jenkins falls to 17

BigJohn98
11-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I guess you haven't watched many Jaguar games. Clint Ingram is a solid player.

Crow
11-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Well, I did title this thing lazy and unmotivated. Next time, I'll actually do some honest research.

Crow
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Cowboys won't take an OT in round 1. They drafted 2 last year and Pat McQuistan, who is their backup tackle, will take over for Adams next year.
Pat McQuistan? Seriously? Really?

NIN1984
11-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Dorsey works for him

Finsfan79
11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
1 Miami - Chris Long
The Fins defense is horrendous. Long is a game changer and exactly what Miami needs.

McFadden or Glenn Dorsey please

Wyndham
11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I'll throw up if the Chiefs take Ryan Clady at No. 7 overall.

urinemonkey
11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
------------------

asmitty45
11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Like the Lions pick

11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
very risky mock i must say, also u got the ideal raiders pick :D

JT Jag
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
[B]26 Jacksonville - Ali Highsmith
Smaller than the usual Jaguar LB, Highsmith represents a big upgrade over Clint Ingram outside. Almost went CB or DE with this pick, and probably should have. But for now, it's Highsmith.The Jaguars won't pick a linebacker in the first day this year.

Last year, Highsmith would be a perfect fit here. The Jaguars love smallish, fast, athletic linebackers. But...

Clint Ingram is in no danger of losing his job. Even if we did draft Highsmith, he couldn't compete with Ingram. Ingram is a strongside guy who is good in coverage, and Highsmith is a weakside guy who is good against the run. Simple as that.

Daryl Smith is untouchable. He used to be the future at middle linebacker for the Jaguars. Now he's the present.

I said that Highsmith would have been a perfect fit in the first round, and the Jaguars love smallish, athletic backers. I say that because I'm echoing what the team did on draft day this year. They selected the 6'1 235 Justin Durant in the second round.

With Mike Peterson out and Daryl Smith having vacated his weakside spot to replace him in the middle, Durant has all year to audition for a permanent starting position.

I think I'd take a DE there. We really need a boost to our pass-rush. Maybe Lawrence Jackson.