PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow

FlutiesDropKick
11-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I know he isn't in this class and in all probability not next years either but can you guys please help me and break down his NFL prospects for me since my friend won't listen to me. I keep saying he is not a top NFL prospect and am having no impact on him, a little help and i may actually not have to kill him for annoying me.

Babylon
11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I know he isn't in this class and in all probability not next years either but can you guys please help me and break down his NFL prospects for me since my friend won't listen to me. I keep saying he is not a top NFL prospect and am having no impact on him, a little help and i may actually not have to kill him for annoying me.

Your friend is right and you are wrong. Tebow may or may not be in the 09 draft but he is every bit the prospect that Vince Young was out of Texas, both guys are big and strong, can buy a new set of downs with their legs and throw well enough to find open receivers. You just dont pass on guys with this kind of ability to play football even if sometimes it doesnt look like a work of art. My guess is he does come out in 09 and probably is the 1st or 2nd Qb taken (along with Matthew Stafford). Take your buddy out for dinner for doubting him.

fenikz
11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Tebow is a beast and will be the 1st QB taken in a couple of years, he has a cannon for an arm and Bo Jacksons legs

Tampa 2 4 life
11-25-2007, 07:00 PM
He certainly has all the physical tools but you have to be weary of the system he plays in.

Race for the Heisman
11-25-2007, 07:15 PM
His mechanics are spotty and his accuracy, while generally good, is not what you'd look for in a first rounder. The system he plays in and the talent that surrounds him creates questions as well, namely his decision-making in a pro-style offense and maybe his field vision. He routinely has wide open receivers too, but if it works for Brohm and he's a first rounder there's no reason Tebow can't be. His release is reminiscent of Byron Leftwich. I think he's sort of spoiled because all he does after a snap is take a lunge forward and he creates his own one-man play action, which won't work in the pros. With all that said, at this point the only other player who might be a comparable prospect in terms of NFL future is Matt Stafford. He will be a major factor in next year's draft or the one after, make no mistake about it.

energizerbunny
11-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I said this before but come draft time he will be ripped on because of the system he comes from and come next year Alex Smith (who came from the exact same system, and is a very similar prospect) will be viewed as a big bust.

He is a tremendous physical specimen but he's going to have to prove himself outside of that system like many QBs these days.

VoteLynnSwan
11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Alex Smith doesn't have near the arm, nor the physical size and strength of Tebow... there, in my mind, is no comparison.

fenikz
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Tebow runs the spread more like Texas did with Young a lot of 3 way options and allowing people to make plays in space, i think that is the best comparison for him

Tampa 2 4 life
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Tebow runs the spread more like Texas did with Young a lot of 3 way options and allowing people to make plays in space, i think that is the best comparison for him

Young didn't have guys like Percy Harvin and Urban Meyer around him, though.

KILLERSANTA
11-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Tim Tebow is god!

P-L
11-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Ten posts and no pics of Tebow's girlfriend?

bored of education
11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
He needs to work on that slow release of his, and lets see how he does without the system and players around him on a terrible team in the nfl. i doubt he does much until he works on the release

yourfavestoner
11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Tim Tebow is god!

Tim Tebow makes god look like a giant babysitter playing The Sims.

Primetime21
11-25-2007, 07:56 PM
His mechanics are spotty and his accuracy, while generally good, is not what you'd look for in a first rounder. The system he plays in and the talent that surrounds him creates questions as well, namely his decision-making in a pro-style offense and maybe his field vision. He routinely has wide open receivers too, but if it works for Brohm and he's a first rounder there's no reason Tebow can't be. His release is reminiscent of Byron Leftwich. I think he's sort of spoiled because all he does after a snap is take a lunge forward and he creates his own one-man play action, which won't work in the pros. With all that said, at this point the only other player who might be a comparable prospect in terms of NFL future is Matt Stafford. He will be a major factor in next year's draft or the one after, make no mistake about it.

QFT

He is putting up godly numbers but watching him you can see plenty of flaws that he will have to fix or pay the consequences.

This may not be the popular belief but based on potential I would rather take Jake Locker.

VoteLynnSwan
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM

you're saying Texas had a lack of talent around Vince Young? What?

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Tim Tebow to me is a combination of Bryon Leftwich and Alex Smith.

I just don't see him being a first round pick. Slow release. Bad footwork in the pocket. Jerky passing delivery. Huge adjustment to a west coast offense (look how Alex Smith is struggling).

All this said someone will draft him in the first because of the Vince Young effect (winning a big game on a big stage...overrated prospect because of this).

fenikz
11-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Young had plenty of talent around him

David Thomas TE Patriots
Jonathan Scott OT Lions
Justin Blalock OG Falcons
Kasey Studdard OG Texans
Selvin Young RB Broncos
Lyle Sendlein C Cardinals
Limas Sweed WR Prospect
Ramonce Taylor RB Prospect
Jamaal Charles RB Prospect
Henry Melton RB Prospect
Billy Pittman WR Prospect

Tampa 2 4 life
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
you're saying Texas had a lack of talent around Vince Young? What?

Sure Young had talent. But not as much as Florida, and Urban Meyer's system is insanely QB friendly.

keylime_5
11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Tebow is a top prospect, but I'm not so high on his game translating in the pros. First of all, unlike Vince Young he tries to run guys over and not around them. He's not an elusive runner by any stretch, just a big 235 lb. kid who can barrell over 220 lb. college LBs. When he gets into the NFL and tries to run over their 240 and 250 lb. guys who run 4.5s he's gonna get laid out. You can't run over guys as a power running QB in the NFL no matter how big you are, those LBs and safeties in the NFL would destroy some of those mobile QBs if they were just trying to power through ya instead of avoiding hits.

Secondly, Tebow is a Florida QB and every single Florida QB that has ever played in the NFL has sucked big time. Tebow is in Urban Meyer's spread option that Alex Smith was so good in. Alex Smith is an awful pro, put two and two together. Tebow will get hurt a lot in the NFL, and be a bust. That said, teams will love his upside and he'll be a top 5 pick in 2009 or 2010 (probably 2009, he'll declare for sure).

georgiafan
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Secondly, Tebow is a Florida QB and every single Florida QB that has ever played in the NFL has sucked big time. Tebow is in Urban Meyer's spread option that Alex Smith was so good in. Alex Smith is an awful pro, put two and two together. Tebow will get hurt a lot in the NFL, and be a bust. That said, teams will love his upside and he'll be a top 5 pick in 2009 or 2010 (probably 2009, he'll declare for sure).

I was telling my friend who is a UF the same thing the other day and he agreed

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Vince Young and Tim Tebow are two totally different players. Just because they are mobile doesn't mean they are a lot alike.

Injuries might start mounting starting now. He broke his hand but he'll likely play in the bowl game. This is what happens when you pound your QB and he takes hit after hit. Urban Meyer is a jerk and could care less about Tebow's career.

A Perfect Score
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
tebow wont last 5 years in the NFL with his running style...he tries to bull people over and while i love it, he is way too physical and refuses to go down. He is gunna get injured ALOT if he keeps it up in the pros.

I do see him as a first rounder however. He has teh "it" factor, and dont forget he still has another year to improve his shoddy mechanics. Still, a football player is a football player, and i think tebow is one of the few prospects (like VY) who is well worth the risk.

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
tebow wont last 5 years in the NFL with his running style...he tries to bull people over and while i love it, he is way too physical and refuses to go down. He is gunna get injured ALOT if he keeps it up in the pros.

I do see him as a first rounder however. He has teh "it" factor, and dont forget he still has another year to improve his shoddy mechanics. Still, a football player is a football player, and i think tebow is one of the few prospects (like VY) who is well worth the risk.

VY has that "it" factor, thats why he is such having a great year.

So many players have had that "it" factor has prospects and in my mind it is just a very biased opinion and very overrated. Brian Boswerth had that "it" factor that made him great in college. It doesn't matter if you have an "it" factor if you donj't know how to run a west coast offense.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Young had plenty of talent around him

David Thomas TE Patriots
Jonathan Scott OT Lions
Justin Blalock OG Falcons
Kasey Studdard OG Texans
Selvin Young RB Broncos
Lyle Sendlein C Cardinals
Limas Sweed WR Prospect
Ramonce Taylor RB Prospect
Jamaal Charles RB Prospect
Henry Melton RB Prospect
Billy Pittman WR Prospect
Cedric Benson says hello.

KILLERSANTA
11-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Cedric Benson says hello.

Really, I have always picture Benson has a HI kind of guy. Not sure why, just didn't think he was the kind to say hello.

D-Unit
11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I would only spend a late Day 2 pick on Tebow and draft him as a TE. LOL.

Staubach12
11-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I think he's a top QB prospect in a few years.

Matthew Jones
11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Alex Smith doesn't have near the arm, nor the physical size and strength of Tebow... there, in my mind, is no comparison.

Tom Brady doesn't have near the arm, nor the physical size and strength of JaMarcus Russell... there, in my mind, is no comparison.

bored of education
11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Tebow hasn't won anything yet to prove to me has 'it' potential

KILLERSANTA
11-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Ten posts and no pics of Tebow's girlfriend?

Tebow hasn't won anything yet to prove to me has 'it' potential

He won This:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8449/timtebowgirlal0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bored of education
11-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah so have 146 other dudes, where are they?

KILLERSANTA
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah so have 146 other dudes, where are they?

Well, I'm sitting in Traverse City, Michigan, in my room. The other 145, I don't know.

elcapitan
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Tim Tebow's skillset does not translate well into the pros in my opinion.
1. He is not the same type of runner as Vince Young or Michael Vick, whom are different from each other as well. Most of Tebows runs are through the B gaps where he takes advantage of his size.
2. Given that he runs Urban Meyer's spread offense, Tebow has yet to prove he is anything more than a better runner than Alex Smith.
3. He has a slow release. Think Leftwhich.

SenorGato
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Tim Tebow to me is a combination of Bryon Leftwich and Alex Smith.

I just don't see him being a first round pick. Slow release. Bad footwork in the pocket. Jerky passing delivery. Huge adjustment to a west coast offense (look how Alex Smith is struggling).

All this said someone will draft him in the first because of the Vince Young effect (winning a big game on a big stage...overrated prospect because of this).

QFT.

Matt Stafford > Tim Tebow as a prospect.

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 11:21 PM
QFT.

Matt Stafford > Tim Tebow as a prospect.

I haven't been impressed with Matt Stafford this season. He is young and his game translates better to the NFL than Tebow's, but he has been pretty inconsistent with his passing. Made a few clutch passes yes, but he needs to do more of the "little" things to be a first round pick.

SenorGato
11-26-2007, 01:58 AM
I haven't been impressed with Matt Stafford this season. He is young and his game translates better to the NFL than Tebow's, but he has been pretty inconsistent with his passing. Made a few clutch passes yes, but he needs to do more of the "little" things to be a first round pick.

He's got one or two more years. Hopefully he doesn't come out next year cause Georgia's gonna be good with him there...and I always like it when a QB stays for his senior year.

georgiafan
11-26-2007, 07:41 AM
He's got one or two more years. Hopefully he doesn't come out next year cause Georgia's gonna be good with him there...and I always like it when a QB stays for his senior year.

Stafford isn't a finished product, but he looks alot better then he did his freshman year. Everybody know's he has the arm strength he just needs to work on the accuracy a little more. When I watch Tebow he always has wide open WR something Stafford is lucky to get once a game. Stafford has played his best in big games and like the other QB's in the SEC hasn't padded his stats in OT or agianst small schools. If he improves as much as he did between his 1st and 2nd year year he could be gone.

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Stafford isn't a finished product, but he looks alot better then he did his freshman year. Everybody know's he has the arm strength he just needs to work on the accuracy a little more. When I watch Tebow he always has wide open WR something Stafford is lucky to get once a game. Stafford has played his best in big games and like the other QB's in the SEC hasn't padded his stats in OT or agianst small schools. If he improves as much as he did between his 1st and 2nd year year he could be gone.

You make a few really good points, namely that the Georgia WRs really suck.

On the flip side, I just don't know how a QB improves his accuracy. I mean you are either accurate or you aren't accurate. Most pro style QBs don't improve on that compeltion % from their sophomore to senior years.

georgiafan
11-26-2007, 08:13 AM
You make a few really good points, namely that the Georgia WRs really suck.

On the flip side, I just don't know how a QB improves his accuracy. I mean you are either accurate or you aren't accurate. Most pro style QBs don't improve on that compeltion % from their sophomore to senior years.

Freshman year - Completed 52% of his passes for 1,700+ yards, 7 TDs and 13 INTs. Approximately a 1:2 TD to INT ratio, QB rating 109

Sophmore year - Completed 55% of his passes for 2,400+ yards, 18 TD and 9 INTs. a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, QB Rating 129

His % did go up from his first year and he seemed to get better with the deep ball late in the year. Knowshon Moreno gave him a true playmaker something that was missing his freshman year. Part of the accuracy is not have a big window to make a throw since the WR get no sepration from DB. That could even help him out a little when he gets to the NFL. He still trust his arm to much at times.

Should I make a seperate thread ?

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Freshman year - Completed 52% of his passes for 1,700+ yards, 7 TDs and 13 INTs. Approximately a 1:2 TD to INT ratio, QB rating 109

Sophmore year - Completed 55% of his passes for 2,400+ yards, 18 TD and 9 INTs. a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, QB Rating 129

His % did go up from his first year and he seemed to get better with the deep ball late in the year. Knowshon Moreno gave him a true playmaker something that was missing his freshman year. Part of the accuracy is not have a big window to make a throw since the WR get no sepration from DB. That could even help him out a little when he gets to the NFL. He still trust his arm to much at times.

Should I make a seperate thread ?

It went up only by 3%, but a much more impressive TD-INT ratio. 55% is still very low for Stafford though, considering his talent. I have no problem when QBs trust their arm "too much." It shows how much confidence they have in their arm. Thats a good thing.

SRogers92
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Accuracy does go up, though. A lot of things go into a QB's accuarcy all of which get improved on more time in CFB.

-- Decision Making is the main one. A QBs decision making naturally gets better with more time in a system and gets more comfortable playing top CFB talent. Everything comes at these kids so fast their Freshman/Soph. years. It slows down over time.

-- Playmakers. Georgia has a major lack of playmakers. Surround him with some top flight WRs that can get open and make the tough catches and you'll see his completion% numbers go up.

-- System. The more thorough a QB gets to know his system the more he knows 1) where his WRs will be and where to hit them in stride and 2) his audibles to adjust out of a bad look.

It's absolutely foolish to just say "he's either accurate or he's not." Many, many things go into accuracy that are far deeper then just ... accuracy(if that makes any sense). He'll improve on it and be a better prospect then Tebow. I'm not high on Tebow as a Pro QB and do not think he'll be a Round 1 pick.

Babylon
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Agree with a lot of points in this thread but anyone that thinks Tebow isnt going to be a 1st round pick and a high one at that is either a Gator hater or not thinking straight.

yourfavestoner
11-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Agree with a lot of points in this thread but anyone that thinks Tebow isnt going to be a 1st round pick and a high one at that is either a Gator hater or not thinking straight.

Yup. Too much potential there. Even though I don't think his game translates well to the pros, either (and I'm a Florida fan).

ahh nah
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Right now there is no accurate comparison for Tebow...which could be good or bad. He is a prospect though, and MAY be revolutionary like Vick was

chcwarriorpoet
11-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Tebow is already a top prospect and he'll only improve his negatives in the next year or two. The negatives that I see is his mechanics aren't the best and he doesn't play in a pro-style offense. His positives far outweigh those. He's got the arm. He throws one of the best deep balls in college football. He's accurate and makes good decisions. He has the toughness to take hits, and is hard as hell to bring down. He's a great runner that runs people over and makes them miss with deceptive speed and good cuts. Tebow has all the intagibles. He's smart, hardworking, and a leader who energies his team by his play and personality. No QB prospect is ever perfect and Tebow is without a doubt a top round 1 prospect.

SuperKevin
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm seriously thinking Tebow is a bulkier Eric Crouch. Eric Crouch would have had similar numbers to Tebow if he was allowed to pass more in my opinion.

yourfavestoner
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm seriously thinking Tebow is a bulkier Eric Crouch. Eric Crouch would have had similar numbers to Tebow if he was allowed to pass more in my opinion.

A bulkier Eric Crouch? Tebow has physical tools that Eric Crouch couldn't dream of.

Ward
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Brian Boswerth had that "it" factor that made him great in college.

Also steroids.

Turtlepower
11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
A bulkier Eric Crouch? Tebow has physical tools that Eric Crouch couldn't dream of.

To Crouch's credit, Tim Tebow hasn't caught a TD pass. =D

SuperKevin
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Also steroids.

The jury is still out for Tebow with that

just kidding

FreeBaGeL
12-01-2007, 06:07 PM
To me, it seems it's really way too early to tell with Tebow. Physically, there's no question he has the tools to succeed. There is no argument about his arm strength or running ability, both of which are superb. Surprising to most that don't actually watch him is that his accuracy is also extremely good as well. Whoever mentioned his accuracy as a con is clearly going by the "running QB" stigma rather than actually watching. Tebow is a more accurate pure passer than Chris Leak ever was at Florida, people just assume the opposite because Leak was a pocket passer and Tebow is a runner.

The "wait and see" on Tebow comes in the mental aspect. At this point, he can't drop back on 3rd and 15 and read the field to find the open guy quickly on a consistent enough basis. But, he's only a sophomore in his first year as a starter so that ability may or may not come.

People most commonly compare him to Vince Young, but in reality that comparison is a joke. Tebow is 100x the pure passer at this point in his career that Vince Young was at this point in his career. It took Young almost two months as a starter to throw as many TD passes TOTAL as Tim Tebow has in several INDIVIDUAL games this year.

If Vince Young passes well enough to make it in the pros, then Tebow certainly throws more than well enough. At this point in Young's career people's perception of him as a passer was that he was a complete and utter joke at it.

Tebow has never played poorly in a game in college. Never. Not once. There's almost no one else in the country (including the ENTIRE rest of the list of heisman candidates). At worst here, we can say "wait and see". There is absolutely zero basis for saying Tebow will make a poor prospect at this point.

And to the guy who mentioned Eric Crouch is off their rocker. Crouch ran a pure blooded option offense. There was no dropback passing. Tebow drops back and passes A LOT in the spread offense. Crouch threw for 7 touchdowns in his heisman winning year, Tebow has thrown for 29 this year with a game still left to play. Crouch and Tebow are no more similar than Herschel Walker and Adam Archuleta.

Let's not forget that Alabama made a HUGE push to recruit Tebow to run their pro-style offense. A guy like Crouch would never have been considered for even a D2 schools' pro-style offense. Nor should we forget that Tebow broke all kinds of PASSING records in high school in Florida, and last I heard that state has had some pretty decent players go through there.

yourfavestoner
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Beautifully written and very accurate. He's gonna need to overhaul his mechanics though.

12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
id like to compare tebow to the other young, no not vince but steve young. its crazy to think of the potential this guy has because he does almost everything well and its no surprise if hes the top pick in '09. he will also probably be the consensus top pick for most of the time leading up to that draft as well.

Billingsley26
12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
all i think about is u of florida qb...that should be enough right there.

Not to mention that a QB wont get away with running the ball 20+ in game, nor will he get away with these dumb gimmick plays that fool teams like Miss State. Once he settles in and plays football the way they do in the NFL, I can see him being a very high rated prospect, but until then i cant put him that high.

SenorGato
12-09-2007, 12:41 PM
id like to compare tebow to the other young, no not vince but steve young. its crazy to think of the potential this guy has because he does almost everything well and its no surprise if hes the top pick in '09. he will also probably be the consensus top pick for most of the time leading up to that draft as well.

Steve Young is the guy he could be if you completely overhauled his mechanics and made him play like an NFL QB and not a gimmick college offense QB.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Doubt he is a lock for the top pick, it always seems that way now with guys until they are critiqued down to the T, people thought Quinn was automatic for #1...I think he will be a great nfl qb but I know how spread qbs are broken down, and its always a question of how he will be reading defenses and dropping back

BuddyCHRIST
12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
all i think about is u of florida qb...that should be enough right there.

Not to mention that a QB wont get away with running the ball 20+ in game, nor will he get away with these dumb gimmick plays that fool teams like Miss State. Once he settles in and plays football the way they do in the NFL, I can see him being a very high rated prospect, but until then i cant put him that high.

I don't understand how people don't get that he doesn't run that much by his own choosing. Its not like he's getting happy feet and running up the gut, 90% of his runs are designed plays because thats just how UF's offense is run and he's their best ball carrier. At the next level I see his running ability being more like that of a faster Roethlisberger with his ability to carry guys. And what dumb gimmick plays are you talking about? Have you seen UF play? The only real gimmick thing they do is the run the ball to WR's on off tackle runs and often times use that as a way of play action. Most everything else is just crossing routes, drags or wheel routes.

DChess
12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
its really hard to compare tebow to any previous prospects, because hes doing things other havent done before him. he runs with more power than finesse, like both youngs did. hes got a good arm but not as good as alex smith who was in the meyer system, but didnt run nearly as much. he throws the deep ball well not great, ive seen him under throw a lot of them. if he has the right scheme and the proper coaching staff in the nfl i think he can be a star. i think if stafford keeps progressing and has a nice junior year, he could easily become the #1 qb.

12-09-2007, 06:04 PM
its really hard to compare tebow to any previous prospects, because hes doing things other havent done before him. he runs with more power than finesse, like both youngs did. hes got a good arm but not as good as alex smith who was in the meyer system, but didnt run nearly as much. he throws the deep ball well not great, ive seen him under throw a lot of them. if he has the right scheme and the proper coaching staff in the nfl i think he can be a star. i think if stafford keeps progressing and has a nice junior year, he could easily become the #1 qb.

tebow like kevin durant (yes basketball) in college is doing things others havent done before him so its very difficult to evaluate him as a prospect. special all around players such as tebow deserve to be considered a #1 pick especially in next years weak class.

killa3312
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Tebow's arm is actually quite easily better than Alex Smith's. Tebow does not lack in arm strength.

DChess
12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Tebow's arm is actually quite easily better than Alex Smith's. Tebow does not lack in arm strength.

never said he didn't :/

i was just saying he under throws receivers a lot which has to do more with accuracy

TacticaLion
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Tim Tebow reminds me of a mix between Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Jon Kitna, Kurt Warner and Kyle Boller. In my opinion, he's nothing like Daunte Culpepper, Tavaris Jackson, Michael Vick, Vince Young or Steve McNair. I just don't see it.

Other than that, I agree with everything stated above.

nhlkdog411
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
made me laugh tactical lion (im assuming that was the point)

BuddyCHRIST
12-09-2007, 10:23 PM
never said he didn't :/

i was just saying he under throws receivers a lot which has to do more with accuracy

you did say Alex Smith had a better arm, i assume you just meant overall arm (including accuracy) but usually people think arm strength when they think about quality of arm. Regardless, I think his accuracy is improving especially considering he overhauled the throwing motion he had been using his whole life over the off season. That takes some getting use to. Anyways I think alot of his underthrowing UF's recievers has to do with how wide open they are most of the time, most QB's don't make the perfect throws when guys are wide open because they just want to make sure they get the ball there.

metafour
12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
And what dumb gimmick plays are you talking about?

The Tebow self-play action pass where he takes a few steps forward and then retreats to pass the ball?

The biggest problem I have with Tebow is that it is VERY obvious that his passing game is set up so easily for him due to everyone thinking he is going to run on nearly every play. Florida uses the Tebow self-play action and a bunch of other gimmicky play actions which force the opponents to commit to the run which leaves receivers open all over the place. No NFL team is going to "fear" Tebow's running ability, and he wont have any of those "make it look like we're running and then catch a crappy collegiate LB playing the run then throw over his head to the man he's supposed to be covering" type plays. Tebow can clearly throw, but how often do you see him have to make difficult reads...ever? Very rarely because so much of his passing game is him throwing to wide open receivers.

Javzz
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Tebow has the arm strength sure, but half of his throws are ducks.

Staubach12
12-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Tebow is going to have to learn to use his running ability to extend the play and buy himself time rather than gain the yards himself. If he can do that and learn how to work a pro offense, then he'll be very good on the next level. But I'm worried about those two, those are big "if"s.

fenikz
12-10-2007, 01:17 AM
The Tebow self-play action pass where he takes a few steps forward and then retreats to pass the ball?

It a simple play action same as if he were going to hand it off to a RB

metafour
12-10-2007, 02:54 AM
It a simple play action same as if he were going to hand it off to a RB

No its not. A play action to a RB occurs when the RB is still 3-5 yards deep in the backfield. When Tebow runs his one-man play action he actually almost runs into his linemen before pulling back. The obvious difference is that when you are a defender and you see a play action to a RB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage you still have a bit of time to analyze the play because even if the RB is actually getting the ball you still have time to make a play on him. When Tebow runs 20+ times a game and then does his play action where he nearly runs past the LOS the defenders really have significantly less time to analyze the play because if they dont react fast enough and Tebow actually does run it they are screwed.

If it was a simple play action you wouldn't only see it at Florida with Tebow at QB. The only reason why that works is because Tebow s a bulldozer and is a threat to run up the gut every time he takes the hand-off. That works in college because Tebow can power his way through tacklers, but in the NFL defenses would gladly let Tebow run up the middle looking to initiate contact.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I see a few mechanical concerns with Tebow, but I don't think they are any more concerning than the mechanical concerns I had with Brady Quinn. However, while you always prefer to see that perfectly efficient throwing motion, all that really matters is if the passer can get the ball where it needs to go. Tebow has some room to grow in the accuracy department, but I think he can do plenty to shore that up without a real mechanics overhaul (especially considering that such attempted overhauls rarely work out the way you'd like). You just gotta see whether he'll rest on his laurels after winning the Heisman or whether he'll go back to work and strive to get better and more disciplined.

I'd agree with the sentiment that Stafford is a better prospect at the moment, but I think it's pretty close.

BuddyCHRIST
12-10-2007, 08:29 AM
they've run that play about 5 times in Tebow's 2 years. I don't get why people act like Tebow won't be a threat to run at the next level. Even in the NFL he'll still be bigger than most LB's so he'll still be able to break tackles. He won't be the inside runner like he is now (which is due to UF's offense) but he'll still always be a threat to run. If Roethlishberger can break tackles like he does, I would expect Tebow to be able to. Even I'll admit that the UF offense is a concern, but they're not running gimmick plays, it's not much different than any of the spread offenses in vogue now.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Tebow reminds me of a mix between Jeff George, a platypus, Rosie O'Donnell, Jesus Christ, an orange, and Mean Gene Okerlund.

Put it together = Championship

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Tebow reminds me of a mix between Jeff George, a platypus, Rosie O'Donnell, Jesus Christ, an orange, and Mean Gene Okerlund.

I don't know, I definitely see some Groucho Marx in there.

TacticaLion
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM

No "Sexy Rexyness"? Did you SEE the picture of his woman? There's gotta be some Sexy Rexyness in there somewhere...

Staubach12
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't get why people act like Tebow won't be a threat to run at the next level. Even in the NFL he'll still be bigger than most LB's so he'll still be able to break tackles.

WHAT?!?!? He'll be bigger than most Linebackers?!? What? You've got to be kidding me! He's 6-3, 235! He will not be bigger than ANY Linebackers in the NFL! Just leave.

fenikz
12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
He seems a lot bigger than 235 to me, well he plays a lot bigger than 235 anyways

HoopsDemon12
12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
WHAT?!?!? He'll be bigger than most Linebackers?!? What? You've got to be kidding me! He's 6-3, 235! He will not be bigger than ANY Linebackers in the NFL! Just leave.

Well he isnt really that small compared to a lot of them

These are all the linebackers with 100+ tackles
Nick Barnet 6'2 232
Jon Beason 6'0 237
Gary Brackett 5'11 235
Derrick Brooks 6'0 235
Angelo Crowell 6'1 246
London Fletcher 5'10 245
David Harris 6'2 243

Well you get the picture... he sure wont be bigger than every linebacker but he is a big QB and will be able to take his fair share of punsishment.. besides i can see him getting bigger... but i mean he isnt small by any means.. He will always be a running threat IMO

Babylon
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM

There are a heck of a lot of backers shorter than Tim Tebow and i would guess lighter too.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
No "Sexy Rexyness"? Did you SEE the picture of his woman? There's gotta be some Sexy Rexyness in there somewhere...
It is my understanding that Tebow is a virgin and waiting for marriage. Grossman, on the other hand, lost his virginity in the womb.

TacticaLion
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
It is my understanding that Tebow is a virgin and waiting for marriage. Grossman, on the other hand, lost his virginity in the womb.

You believed that?! Look at her... she isn't waiting around for a ring... shes been there and wants to be back there again.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Now now...just because a girl has big jugs doesn't mean she's loose.

Unfortunately...

DChess
12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
when the first picture surfaced i was telling everybody i doubt he does anything besides hug her. hes a jesus freak, he goes to the phillipines on religious retreats to spread religion. he loves him some jesus

BuddyCHRIST
12-10-2007, 06:05 PM

are you kidding? Tons of LB's in the NFL are 235 an under. Especially since Tebow will probably be 240 when he's in the NFL. He's still going to be big for LB's to tackle. It's not like once he gets to the NFL all physical attributes just go away because there are better players.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it's also important to remember that he isnt going to be carrying the ball 20 times a game and he isnt going to be running over people. You use the size and speed to move the chains on 3rd down when everything else breaks down.

12-10-2007, 06:18 PM
closest comparison i can think of for tebow is big ben.

San Diego Chicken
12-12-2007, 05:20 AM
closest comparison i can think of for tebow is big ben.

I think the best comparison for him is a lefthanded Donovan McNabb. Both thicker, mobile QB's with big arms and good intangibles, but both were/are raw coming out of college and may take some time to become polished passers.

TacticaLion
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Now now...just because a girl has big jugs doesn't mean she's loose.

Unfortunately...

Prove it.

(+ chars...)

Staubach12
12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Sure, there are some linebackers in the NFL that are 235 and under, but the shocking word there is MOST. "He'll still be bigger than most linebackers." That's dead wrong.

EDIT: Actually looking back, I overreacted. He will be bigger than a few, but not a lot.

Staubach12
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
when the first picture surfaced i was telling everybody i doubt he does anything besides hug her. hes a jesus freak, he goes to the phillipines on religious retreats to spread religion. he loves him some jesus

I love me some Jesus, too. But come on, who wouldn't tap those jugs?