PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Hires Rich Rodriguez

Pages : [1] 2

bwillie26
11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I had heard for the last few days from some other people that Miles was nowhere near the slam dunk people thought he was, but I thought they were full of crap.

Wow ... just wow.

Even more strange that he will turn it down, supposedly. But in a later update, it is said he has accepted and will announce within the next 24-48 hours.

Edit: I guess I should also include the update where he quotes others who have said Ferentz will accept.

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/

I've sat on this a couple days waiting for some third-party corroboration and now I have it: Kirk Ferentz has been offered the Michigan job. The general feeling is he will turn it down out of fidelity to Iowa, in case you were thinking of making a late-night run to Ann Arbor (or Iowa City) Torch & Pitchfork. I do realize that this -- unlike the Lloyd thing -- is unlikely to ever be publicly acknowledged if Ferentz turns it down, but this comes from someone in a position to know, and how. The third-party corroboration comes from a couple Iowa insiders reporting things afoot that, unfortunately, I am not at liberty to disclose.

Suffice it to say that Wednesday's post on Ferentz not making sense and this being a weird rumor is withdrawn: there's a real chance he's the next coach. It's not probable given Ferentz's deep ties to Iowa, but it's not Kevin Stallings as I suggested earlier.

BONUS item that I don't have multiple sources on, so consider this not 100% reliable, but logical: Grand Valley's athletic director has been contacted by a Michigan representative doing due diligence on Brian Kelly. That representative? Lloyd Carr. That might explain the prominence in Ferentz in the search. The Horror, evidently, was not enough to shake Carr's influence despite the claims made in his outgoing press conference.

BONUS BONUS item: Grand Valley's AD has been contacted by another athletic director doing background checks on Kelly. His name? Kevin White. His school? Notre Dame.

I have no idea how to judge the truthiness of this post from HawkeyeLounge.com helpfully linked in the comments of the last post, but it looks like we might get resolution on this Ferentz thing soon:

I have a decent source connected to the Michigan athletic department. He stated to me in an in e-mail this evening that Ferentz had been offered the job and this evening he accepted. The final details and announcement will come in 24-48 hours.

Disclaimers follow...

MH check your PM and I'll explain this one to you. I'm not convinced on this, but this source has credibility. I hope he's not playing me. I'll take the heat if this is wrong.

...but after the standard "this means nothing... nothing!" response, a couple posters vouch for this guy; the forthright admission of doubt makes me place a bit more faith in the information, ironically. (Obviously, this is nothing close to solid.)

Another point of confirmation (about the offer, not a potential acceptance) comes from the RCMB. One of the posters there is an editor at an Iowa newspaper; he claims that two separate media sources are telling him Ferentz has an offer.

RockJock07
11-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Kirk is bad, justt awful and is getting overpaid by Iowa as it is. If this is true Michigan should just pencil in more average seasons.

Kelly on the other hand would be interesting. I think Michigan could be huge threat with that style of offense. Needless to say, Illinois/Michgan games would be fun to watch.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Kirk is recognized for being overrated so much that he's actually become underrated (at least in these corners, he's still overrated by the media).

Give him this. He recruited very well at Iowa. Would you want to go and live in Iowa? Thank you.

RockJock07
11-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Kirk is recognized for being overrated so much that he's actually become underrated (at least in these corners, he's still overrated by the media).

Give him this. He recruited very well at Iowa. Would you want to go and live in Iowa? Thank you.

9 months out of the year I do live in Iowa and in these parts many people don't like him. I'm not an Iowa fan and I still think he's bad. Hell, whoever coach's UNI is better.

I do agree with you on the recuiting aspect. He has been able to take alot of kids from the Chicagoland area and has made some very solid defenses but his recuits haven't really turned into great teams. Kirk had made 4 or 5 january bowl games before last season, but his teams never took the next step. I think he has only made 1 BCS game, Orange bowl with brad banks vs. USC and they got spanked.

Bad game coach would we be nothing else if he got the UM job.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2007, 12:39 AM
9 months out of the year I do live in Iowa and in these parts many people don't like him. I'm not an Iowa fan and I still think he's bad. Hell, whoever coach's UNI is better.

I do agree with you on the recuiting aspect. He has been able to take alot of kids from the Chicagoland area and has made some very solid defenses but his recuits haven't really turned into great teams. Kirk had made 4 or 5 january bowl games before last season, but his teams never took the next step. I think he has only made 1 BCS game, Orange bowl with brad banks vs. USC and they got spanked.

Bad game coach would we be nothing else if he got the UM job.

Ferentz won two Big Ten titles at Iowa in 9 years.

Hayden Fry, who is considered a legend, won three in 19 years.

Ferentz's Iowa teams have finished in the top 10 of the final AP three times in 9 years.

Fry's teams never finished higher than 10th in nineteen years.

Ferentz gets some heat because of his salary, and understandably so, but the fact is that Iowa fans have a MUUUUUUUUCH higher opinion of their program than what reality is. If Ferentz leaves honestly I expect Iowa to go back to the cellar of the Big Ten like they were pre-Fry days.

The only Big Ten teams historically worse in football than Iowa are Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern. That's not good company.

Sniper
11-26-2007, 07:53 AM
but the fact is that Iowa fans have a MUUUUUUUUCH higher opinion of their program than what reality is.

Really? Like who? ;)

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I fully expect Les Miles to be the next UM coach...and they thought Lloyd Carr was bad...

Sniper
11-26-2007, 08:02 AM
I really don't know who I want. Certainly not Ferentz though, and especially not DeBord. I wouldn't mind giving English a shot, and Brian Kelly has done a wonderful job in the state of Michigan, so maybe he could work something for us. I'm very, very lukewarm on Les Miles however. I don't mind gambles, but sometimes he does it just for fun, or so it seems.

P-L
11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Interesting if true. I thought as soon as Kathy Miles bought a house in the AA area, Les was all but a done deal. I really, really don't want Ferentz. Gotta give the man credit for his 2002-04 season, but the 11-24 record before 2002 and the 19-18 record after 2004 worries me. He really isn't a good recruiter at all, and relies too much on developing talent. Sure, Michigan is going to attract recruits regardless of who the head coach is, but I don't know.

portermvp84
11-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I doubt Ferentz will leave, Iowa. He can barly win any games with a healthy team. Miles should be smart and just take the job.

Shane P. Hallam
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
As an OSU fan, I'm rooting for Les. I don't think he is a good coach. Brian Kelly is great, and honestly, I think he is the best man for the job.

P-L
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
It all appears to rumors, and there is no legit source backing them up. Iowa is claiming that no one has contacted Ferentz. The only thing that seems true right now is that Michigan has interest in Kirk. We'll see how this plays out.

RyanLeaf#1
11-26-2007, 01:47 PM
In my opinion if Kirk goes to Michigan things will only get worse. What exactly has he done at Iowa that people have so much respect for him? His combined record is 73-70. I just dont buy the hype on Kirk Ferentz.

Sniper
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
In my opinion if Kirk goes to Michigan things will only get worse. What exactly has he done at Iowa that people have so much respect for him? His combined record is 73-70. I just dont buy the hype on Kirk Ferentz.

Hey don't sell the Domers short in your sig! Wasn't it 3-9?

ironman4579
11-26-2007, 02:22 PM
If we hire Ferentz, I'll cry. I'm not a fan at all. I'm lukewarm on Miles, but I'd prefer him over Ferentz any day of the week,

RyanLeaf#1
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
I was just thinking this over by myself didnt read it anywhere or nothing like that, but was just wondering what Michigan fans thought of Dennis Erickson if it came up?

RyanLeaf#1
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey don't sell the Domers short in your sig! Wasn't it 3-9?

Yes thankyou Sir.

WildDude
11-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Brian kelly made GVS the greatest DII program of all time just hire the guy

P-L
11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
The only two guys I want are Les Miles and Brian Kelly. If Michigan hires anyone else, I'll be disappointed. Especially if that someone else is Kirk Ferentz. I truly believe that if Michigan signs Kirk, they'll be looking for another Head Coach in four years.

RyanLeaf#1
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe Michigan should hire Coach Jerry Moore.

http://blog.syracuse.com/news/2007/09/medium_astate2.jpeg

Michigan
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM

This was probably a cheap shot (from a Notre Dame fan nonetheless), but Moore has been discussed because of his great success at Appy State. Too bad he's 68.

ironman4579
11-26-2007, 02:46 PM
The only two guys I want are Les Miles and Brian Kelly. If Michigan hires anyone else, I'll be disappointed. Especially if that someone else is Kirk Ferentz. I truly believe that if Michigan signs Kirk, they'll be looking for another Head Coach in four years.

That's exactly where I'm at. The only other guy I might not mind is Ron English, but that's only because alot of recruits seem to like him, and we might lose some of our better recruits if someone in house isn't hired. Now that's the only reason, because Miles and Kelly are miles ahead in terms of who I'd like to see as the coach. But like I said, I'm somewhat lukewarm even on Miles. But I'm basically right with you. I hope to god Michigan isn't dumb enough to hire Kirk Ferentz.

P-L
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
It really looks like it is going to be Ferentz. As much as I didn't want him I'm surprised as to how livid Michigan fans are over the alleged hire. All I can say is that I hope he proves us all wrong, if he does in fact end up with the job.

Sniper
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
It really looks like it is going to be Ferentz. As much as I didn't want him I'm surprised as to how livid Michigan fans are over the alleged hire. All I can say is that I hope he proves us all wrong, if he does in fact end up with the job.

Excuse me while I go hang myself...

jballa838
11-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Excuse me while I go hang myself...
you could always be a Washington Huskies fan. we lost to OSU too.

Sniper
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
you could always be a Washington Huskies fan. we lost to OSU too.

Yes, but you haven't done it for four straight and 6 out of 7...

jballa838
11-26-2007, 10:11 PM
yes, but there is always hope ;)
anyway we'll get them next year.

and by we i mean UW

Sniper
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM
yes, but there is always hope ;)
anyway we'll get them next year.

and by we i mean UW

Of course....NOT.....Ohio State is going to be LOADED next year, and sadly for me, Michigan will not. Unless Kirk Ferentz can get Ryan Mallett's accuracy to DRASTICALLY improve and the D becomes good, it's gonna be a long season.

jballa838
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Of course....NOT.....Ohio State is going to be LOADED next year, and sadly for me, Michigan will not. Unless Kirk Ferentz can get Ryan Mallett's accuracy to DRASTICALLY improve and the D becomes good, it's gonna be a long season.
Jake Locker is god so we have a shot

Sniper
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Jake Locker is god so we have a shot

Chris Wells eats babies...and Michigan defenders

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
I was hoping it would be Sarkasian. As a USC fan I would like for him to get a HC job.

jballa838
11-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Chris Wells eats babies...and Michigan defenders
Jake Locker is god though. that is not a typo. he is god.

P-L
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Expect to see a similar headline in your local paper:

"Ferentz hired as Michigan Head Coach. 40,000 students commit suicide."

jballa838
11-26-2007, 11:04 PM
well lloyd carr wasnt our coach

bearsfan_51
11-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Well you are mormon so that's not out of the realm of possibility.

RyanLeaf#1
11-27-2007, 04:03 AM

Well lets just hope he can beat Hawaii this weekend.

Scotty D
11-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Stay in Iowa! Mr. Angry face all the time!

Xiomera
11-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Oh no . . . I don't like Ferentz . . . I don't think its a coincidence that he never got that NFL job like everyone said he would get . . .

Sniper
11-27-2007, 08:11 AM
well lloyd carr wasnt our coach

Well according to ND fans, you guys have Satan on the sidelines, so it balances out, right? ;)

Please, Bill Martin, not Ferentz. NOT FERENTZ!

Ultra creative offensive coordinator Mike DeBord is getting interviewed today, a day after defensive coordinator Ron English was interviewed. These are essentially courtesy interviews as I expect neither of them to be at the top of the list, which should look like this.

1. Brian Kelly

RyanLeaf#1
11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Well according to ND fans, you guys have Satan on the sidelines, so it balances out, right? ;)

Please, Bill Martin, not Ferentz. NOT FERENTZ!

Ultra creative offensive coordinator Mike DeBord is getting interviewed today, a day after defensive coordinator Ron English was interviewed. These are essentially courtesy interviews as I expect neither of them to be at the top of the list, which should look like this.

1. Brian Kelly

Im pretty sure if you ask 10 Notre Dame Fans 8 of them will say they liked Ty. Especially here I have never heard a ND fan trash Willingham. As far as Ferentz atleast you Michigan fans will have a new friend in toldlikeitis or whatever his name is who is always talking about them Iowa 2 star recruits.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Im pretty sure if you ask 10 Notre Dame Fans 8 of them will say they liked Ty. Especially here I have never heard a ND fan trash Willingham. As far as Ferentz atleast you Michigan fans will have a new friend in toldlikeitis or whatever his name is who is always talking about them Iowa 2 star recruits.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah sure ND fans LOVED Ty. Remind me, who is most often blamed for this year's 3-9 record?

RyanLeaf#1
11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah sure ND fans LOVED Ty. Remind me, who is most often blamed for this year's 3-9 record?

Thats because his recruiting classes were terrible. Im not here to get into an arguement over ND, but I will say this if Ferentz does take over. I like NDs chances of getting to the NC way more then Michigans.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Thats because his recruiting classes were terrible. Im not here to get into an arguement over ND, but I will say this if Ferentz does take over. I like NDs chances of getting to the NC way more then Michigans.

Perhaps they should worry about beating Michigan first, or at least staying competitive with them.

RyanLeaf#1
11-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Perhaps they should worry about beating Michigan first, or at least staying competitive with them.

Michigan won in 06 and 07 Notre Dame won in 04 and 05. The average point differential in the 35 games that were played is 5. I would say thats pretty competitive. Perhaps Michigan should worry about hiring a coach that can motivate his players enough to beat a 1-A team.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Michigan won in 06 and 07 Notre Dame won in 04 and 05. The average point differential in the 35 games that were played is 5. I would say thats pretty competitive. Perhaps Michigan should worry about hiring a coach that can motivate his players enough to beat a 1-A team.

Perhaps, but then perhaps ND shouldn't overpay for a guy who went 3-9 and had losses to two teams who lost to 1-AA teams, including a 38-0 beating to the aforementioned Michigan squad. I'll take 8-4 over 3-9 any day. Call me crazy, but usually 8 wins>3 wins.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Michigan won in 06 and 07

They sure did, 47-21 and 38-0 is not competitive though.

RyanLeaf#1
11-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Perhaps, but then perhaps ND shouldn't overpay for a guy who went 3-9 and had losses to two teams who lost to 1-AA teams, including a 38-0 beating to the aforementioned Michigan squad. I'll take 8-4 over 3-9 any day. Call me crazy, but usually 8 wins>3 wins.

Over pay? In my opinion 30 million over 10 years isnt that much. Notre Dame already got their moneys worth with the money they received from going to Back to Back BCS bowls. This "guy" went 3-9 with his players who were freshman and sophmores. I dont know why you worry about Notre Dame so much. Like I said before Weis will have Notre Dame in the National Championship by the 2010 season.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Over pay? In my opinion 30 million over 10 years isnt that much. Notre Dame already got their moneys worth with the money they received from going to Back to Back BCS bowls. This "guy" went 3-9 with his players who were freshman and sophmores. I dont know why you worry about Notre Dame so much. Like I said before Weis will have Notre Dame in the National Championship by the 2010 season.

I can't wait for my 100 bucks..

P-L
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
There may be some hope left for Michigan fans. According to mgoblog, the plane that flew from Willow Run (about 5 miles from A2) to Cedar Rapids had no passengers on it. It was a coincidence. Also, rumors have been floating around message boards that Ferentz was offered the job, but turned it down.

Let's hope Michigan can get it right and land Miles or Kelly.

P-L
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Also, if someone with a rivals accout could PM me, that would be just awesome.

energizerbunny
11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
they need someone who will revolutionize that offence and get it out of the 1990s. I'm not an expert on Iowa football but isn't Ferentz style very similiar to that of Carr's? I know Ferentz is a oline guy which would be good for Michigan but they need to get one of these assistants that are used to running the wide open attack.

P-L
11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Ferentz is extremely similar to Carr, which is probably why Carr likes him and the Michigan fans don't.

CC
11-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Everything I am reading says no Ferentz to Michigan.

Miles or Kelly is the guy IMO, with Tedford and Schiano being longshots.

P-L
11-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Rumors are swirling that Les Miles is a done deal. Although, according to three sources (none of which are very credible) Brian Kelly is the favorite for the job, despite his "plan to stay at Cincinnati."

Right now Kelly is my top choice, with Miles as #2. My only fear about Kelly is that he actually covets an NFL job. I don't want him bolting for the NFL in three years if he has success.

soybean
11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
For Michigan to even allowed to speak to les miles makes me seem like this is all but done and LSU is already willing to give up their coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3132538

scottyboy
11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Everything I am reading says no Ferentz to Michigan.

Miles or Kelly is the guy IMO, with Tedford and Schiano being longshots.

Greg's not leaving, but i guess longshot is the best term for rumors sake. I hope it stays longshot consdiering last year it was Miami he was rumored to go to.

Miles would certainly be a not bad replacement eh? going from one power house with a name that boosts recruits that much more to another

kwilk103
11-28-2007, 09:08 PM
they should go after brian kelly

one rumor i always hear is schiano to psu when joe pa retires/dies (whichever comes first, im takin the latter)

scottyboy
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
they should go after brian kelly

one rumor i always hear is schiano to psu when joe pa retires/dies (whichever comes first, im takin the latter)

i hate Schiano rumors, they make me soo mad. He won't leave, EVER. In my fantasy world, he's our joe pa; choppin in scarlet till he dies.

I'll stop, dont wanna hijack the Michigan coach thread with my homerism

DoWnThEfiElD
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
It should be Miles and by my guess could be as early as Monday.

Sniper
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
It should be Miles and by my guess could be as early as Monday.

It SHOULD be Kelly, it probably WILL be Miles.

CC
11-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I am happy with Miles. He has been successful at LSU, is a fiery coach with a ton of passion, a good recruiter, and will make sure that we are stronger in the trenches.

Not too mention this likely means the addition of an awesome offensive coordinator.

Sniper
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
I am happy with Miles. He has been successful at LSU, is a fiery coach with a ton of passion, a good recruiter, and will make sure that we are stronger in the trenches.

Not too mention this likely means the addition of an awesome offensive coordinator.

I think a more concerning hire is the hire of a S&C coach who isn't completely ********. Ryan Mundy says at Michigan they don't do stuff like power cleans, hack squats, basically all olympic lifts. ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?

CC
11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Michigan hasn't seemed to have much of a problem with their players getting bigger over the years, everyone from Burgess to Brandon Graham has bulked up. Debord's vanilla offense, on the other hand, is a major concern.

Sniper
11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Michigan hasn't seemed to have much of a problem with their players getting bigger over the years, everyone from Burgess to Brandon Graham has bulked up. Debord's vanilla offense, on the other hand, is a major concern.

Yes but the speed and the late game conditioning has been terrible.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Sniper why do you want Kelly? I'm just curious, I don't think he is anymore ready to coach here than English is....

RyanLeaf#1
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Sniper why do you want Kelly? I'm just curious, I don't think he is anymore ready to coach here than English is....

How could you say that Brian Kelly is no more ready then English? What in Kellys resume leads you to believe that he isnt ready to take a program like Michigan over? If I were a Michigan fan Kelly would be my number 1 choice and English wouldnt even be an option.

Sniper
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM

You mean besides the fact that he just wins games?????? He seems like he could be our Tressel...the guy who flies under the radar and then just wins everything

Michigan
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
You mean besides the fact that he just wins games?????? He seems like he could be our Tressel...the guy who flies under the radar and then just wins everything

I like Kelly for what he's done with GVSU and CMU, but has Kelly really improved Cincy? They went 8-5 under Dantonio last year (9-3 is an improvement, but nothing to get excited about considering they had 16 returning starters), and they DID lose to Louisville and Pittsburgh this year...

RyanLeaf#1
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I like Kelly for what he's done with GVSU and CMU, but has Kelly really improved Cincy? They went 8-5 under Dantonio last year (9-3 is an improvement, but nothing to get excited about considering they had 16 returning starters), and they DID lose to Louisville and Pittsburgh this year...

If i'm not mistaking Kelly coached them last year in their bowl game too didn't he? Kelly imo is a winner and one hell of a coach.

ironman4579
11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
My first choice would be Kelly, followed by Miles. In case anyone didn't hear, LSU has given permission for Michigan to speak with Miles. The Ferentz thing really seems like an unfounded rumour to me.

P-L
11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
My first choice would be Kelly, followed by Miles. In case anyone didn't hear, LSU has given permission for Michigan to speak with Miles. The Ferentz thing really seems like an unfounded rumour to me.
It was confirmed that there was contact between Michigan and Ferentz, but nothing came of it. If Les Miles isn't the Head Coach by next week, I'll be stunned.

ironman4579
11-29-2007, 08:47 PM
It was confirmed that there was contact between Michigan and Ferentz, but nothing came of it. If Les Miles isn't the Head Coach by next week, I'll be stunned.

I have no doubt there was contact. I was more thinking of it as a possible backup plan, to gauge Ferentz's interest, in case their first 100 candidates turned them down.

P-L
11-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Les Miles it is. Rumors from multiple people have indicated Miles announced to the team today that he was leaving if Michigan offers.

TigerBait45
11-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Good luck with Miles.

You'll seriously need it. Hes lost out there. Hell of a recruiter, but man hes stupid sometimes.

P-L
12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
If the rumors that Miles is bringing Jon Tenuta are true, then I'm loving the hire. I'm going to miss Ron English (and we'll probably lose Cissoko), but I think Tenuta is the best DC in the nation. Les may have been my #2 choice, but I think he'll do fine here.

Scotty D
12-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm so happy. I actually thought there was a chance of Ferentz.

keylime_5
12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
No one saw this one coming (rolls eyes). You know, Jim Tressel is already 1-0 against Les Miles so he's in a hole already before he's coached one game in the rivalry. What's more interesting is that Tenuta is gonna be his defensive coordinator.

But from an objective level, I've never been too impressed with Les Miles as a coach at LSU really, a big reason not many Buckeye fans are afraid of Miles to Michigan. But even if Les becomes the next Urban Meyer there, he's got a LOT of recruiting to do before he can put his team on par with OSU's talent level, and he'll still be at least a year away because michigan is not gonna win any titles in 08 with Mallett and Minor in the backfield, a young defense, and no Manningham. Hopefully this isn't the bizarro version of Tressel/Carr though :).

JPLUFF
12-01-2007, 10:10 AM

I know this was posted a while ago but that's funny ****.

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3136391

WOO HOO!!!!!!

WMD
12-01-2007, 10:36 AM
It'll still be strange not seeing Lloyd Carr as the coach.. but hopefully Les can help bring us our fair share of wins against Ohio State.

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Not so fast fellas . . . it would appear that Miles pulled a fast one on us.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Whatever, Les Miles will get a rude awakening next year when all of Saban's recruits graduate. I see LSU getting upwards of 5 loses, especially with Poleni leaving.

Vikes99ej
12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Uhhhh.... ESPN just reported Miles is staying at LSU.

RyanLeaf#1
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Uhhhh.... ESPN just reported Miles is staying at LSU.

Yup and hes having a news conference about it before the SEC Championship game to confirm it.

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Interesting. If what I just saw was the press conference when Miles was supposed to announce he was staying at LSU with a contract extension, that sure didn't look like it. All I saw was him saying he was the Coach of LSU, and would be the coach of LSU. I never actually saw him say he was staying at LSU or anything about a contract extension.

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Interesting. If what I just saw was the press conference when Miles was supposed to announce he was staying at LSU with a contract extension, that sure didn't look like it. All I saw was him saying he was the Coach of LSU, and would be the coach of LSU. I never actually saw him say he was staying at LSU or anything about a contract extension.

Yeah, I noticed that too . . . I won't be convinced that Miles stays at LSU until week one of the college football season in '08, lol.

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
If anything, if he was certain he was staying at LSU or had just signed a contract extension, I would have expected him to say that he signed said extension, and say there was no way he was leaving LSU, or no way he was going to Michigan, or something along those lines. That way, the question would be gone, and he wouldn't have to get all pissed off(like he seemed to be) on a daily or weekly basis. This way, he still really leaves himself open to the question.

P-L
12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
The more I read, the more and more I think Miles will actually end up at Michigan. I think it's about 50/50 right now. It seems that Miles was extremely upset that Herbie leaked this information the morning of the SEC Championship game, and rightfully so. I still think he ends up talking with Michigan sometime this week. I guess we'll see.

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Well, he did just say he would be the coach of LSU next year "Absolutely."

Scotty D
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Just give it to Ron English.

P-L
12-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Well, he did just say he would be the coach of LSU next year "Absolutely."
When did he say that? Here was what he said at his press conference.

Miles: "There was misinformation on ESPN and I think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I'm the head coach at LSU, I will be the head coach at LSU, I have no interest in talking to anyone else. I have a championship game to play and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. And that's really all I'd like to say. It's unfortunate I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'll be ready to play. There will be no questions for me; I represent me in this issue, please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much, and have a great day."

Geo
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
It was in a CBS pre-game interview just now that some woman conducted with Miles.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Just give it to Ron English.

Can someone explain to me why Michigan fans want English? Hasn't the Wolverines defense been terrible this year? Why would that warrant him getting a promotion? It makes no sense to me.

Geo
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Also, he's black.

RyanLeaf#1
12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
LOL Ron English? If Les takes the job Ron is going to be looking for a job. Im pretty sure whoever takes the job is going to get rid of English.

P-L
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM
LOL Ron English? If Les takes the job Ron is going to be looking for a job. Im pretty sure whoever takes the job is going to get rid of English.
If Tedford were to somehow get it, I bet he'd keep English.

RyanLeaf#1
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
If Tedford were to somehow get it, I bet he'd keep English.

How could Tedford get a promotion after the season he is having?

SuperKevin
12-01-2007, 02:52 PM
ESPN.com is reporting Miles is working on a deal to stay at LSU

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3136536

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 02:54 PM
When did he say that? Here was what he said at his press conference.

Said it on a pregame interview with what's her name. He said he'd be the coach of LSU this year, and the Coach of LSU next year. She said so you're saying you'll be coaching at LSU next year? He said "Absolutely."

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Can someone explain to me why Michigan fans want English? Hasn't the Wolverines defense been terrible this year? Why would that warrant him getting a promotion? It makes no sense to me.

I think because the defensive recruits and players seem to like and look up to him. That's about it.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Give it to Jim Harbaugh...I love that man

RyanLeaf#1
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Give it to Jim Harbaugh...I love that man

Im pretty sure he already came out and said he don't want it.

P-L
12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
A poster on Michigan's Scout board is saying that someone at ESPN is reporting that Jon Tenuta is a candidate for Michigan's Head Coach. Take that for what it's worth. All of these rumors are driving me crazy.

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Tenuta sounds like he's pretty bad. I don't know why, it just does.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
A poster on Michigan's Scout board is saying that someone at ESPN is reporting that Jon Tenuta is a candidate for Michigan's Head Coach. Take that for what it's worth. All of these rumors are driving me crazy.

Edit: Nevermind...It looks like there is also a rumor that he will be the DC at LSU

P-L
12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Georgia Tech's Defensive Coordinator and interim Head Coach.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Why hasn't Gary Pinkel's name been thrown into the mix?

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Georgia Tech's Defensive Coordinator and interim Head Coach.

Eh... doesn't convince me... I know GT's D is good, but... eh

NYGibril28
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Is Chris Peterson an option from Boise?

P-L
12-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Is Chris Peterson an option from Boise?

I wish... But no.

Barbecue Bob
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Michigans football program is really a shell of itself if a coach isn't even willing to leave Boise State, a team with no football tradition, for one of the most prestigious programs in all of sports.

P-L
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Michigans football program is really a shell of itself if a coach isn't even willing to leave Boise State, a team with no football tradition, for one of the most prestigious programs in all of sports.
What are you talking about? Michigan has not talked to Chris Peterson at all, and I suspect they won't.

Sniper
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM

It's a good thing they asked Peterson....oh wait, they didn't.

keylime_5
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
so who the CRAP is Michigan gonna get if Miles follows his money and success at LSU? Rodriguez? Ferentz?

OhioState
12-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I really think that English would be the best option right now. He is a good coach who is young and could build a powerhouse for years to come.

kwilk103
12-02-2007, 02:45 PM
so who the CRAP is Michigan gonna get if Miles follows his money and success at LSU? Rodriguez? Ferentz?

i hope they take rod; its only a matter of time before he leaves

huggins is the fan favorite and rod has a huge ego and wont want to play second fiddle; rumor ive heard for a while is he was upset that huggins wanted pryor to play bball and rod only wanted him for himself; a few wvu fans dont think they can coexist

Michigan
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
The thing that hurt most about losing Miles was potentially losing Tenuta. He's arguably the best DC in the nation and gets the most out of his players.

With that said, I think the next HC is going to be either Mike Debord or Jeff Tedford. Both suck.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-02-2007, 03:42 PM

I would think they'd offer it to someone like Schiano, if he declines they really could go anywhere.

ironman4579
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I would cry if it was DeBord, although I wouldn't be happy with Tedford either. Hopefully if DeBord gets it, he hires an OC that knows his ass from a hole in the ground, unlike himself.

CC
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
If Debord is the next coach I will look long and hard at my future as a Michigan fan. The man can't win games at CMU (and everyone else has been successful there) and you want to turn the keys to the country's (debatably) best program over to him?

bearsfan_51
12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
If Debord is the next coach I will look long and hard at my future as a Michigan fan. The man can't win games at CMU (and everyone else has been successful there) and you want to turn the keys to the country's (debatably) best program over to him?

I'm sorry but Michigan hasn't been the best program in the country in years. They aren't even the best program in the Big Ten.

CC
12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry but Michigan hasn't been the best program in the country in years. They aren't even the best program in the Big Ten.

I am speaking historically, right now they would struggle to make the top 10.

P-L
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Kirk Ferentz might not be completely out of the picture...

RyanLeaf#1
12-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Kirk Ferentz might not be completely out of the picture...

Thats bad news if your a Michigan fan.

Sniper
12-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Thats bad news if your a Michigan fan.

That's actually pretty ******* terrible news...

kwilk103
12-04-2007, 09:58 AM
why dont they go after kelly? doesnt he have michigan ties? been successful every where hes been

RyanLeaf#1
12-04-2007, 10:00 AM
why dont they go after kelly? doesnt he have michigan ties? been successful every where hes been

Thats definitely who they should go after. IMO he is one of the best coaches in the nation.

Xiomera
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I think Michigan might hire somewhat of an "interim" coach for this year and hope that a high profile coach becomes available after next season . . . and in the meantime, if the "interim" coach succeeds, then that also solves the problem . . .

Probably not the best idea for recruiting purposes, but it seems foolish to commit 100% to a guy who was not your first choice . . .

RyanLeaf#1
12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Has Michigan lost any recruits because of this?

Sniper
12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Has Michigan lost any recruits because of this?

Not yet. But Boubacar Cissoko, Christian Wilson, JB Fitzgerald and John Weinke are said to be looking.

Marino13
12-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Ball State's head coach is reportedly a finalist for the job according to ESPN News

CC
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Ball State's head coach is reportedly a finalist for the job according to ESPN News

He threw his own name into the ring, he is not a serious candidate IMO.

RyanLeaf#1
12-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Here is the link for that:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3143494

Sniper
12-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Why aren't they talking to Kelly? Makes no sense.

RyanLeaf#1
12-06-2007, 09:14 AM

LOL I started laughing real hard when I seen Tom O'Briens name.

Sniper
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
LOL I started laughing real hard when I seen Tom O'Briens name.

My jaw hit the table..

RyanLeaf#1
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
My jaw hit the table..

My partner in work played under O'Brien for 4 years, and started as the fullback for 2 of them. When I showed him that he started laughing. Im still clueless on why he left Boston College to go to N.C. State.

soybean
12-06-2007, 04:15 PM
i guess he really is staying: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3144459

Turtlepower
12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
i guess he really is staying: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3144459

This is definitely good for Michigan. Watch what happens as soon as Miles loses Nick Saban's recruits... I don't think that LSU wins more than 8 games next year.

soybean
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
i really don't like les miles. he just comes off bad, and has a kind of personality I don't really like.

It could also be because of his constant badmouthing of the Pac-10 and saying that Tennessee would go undefeated in our conference.

he's just not an "interview" guy, no doubt a good coach but also a jack***

P-L
12-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Rumors are they are scared off by the CMU football murder scandal.

Turtlepower
12-06-2007, 04:24 PM
i really don't like les miles. he just comes off bad, and has a kind of personality I don't really like.

It could also be because of his constant badmouthing of the Pac-10 and saying that Tennessee would go undefeated in our conference.

he's just not an "interview" guy, no doubt a good coach but also a jack***

I really don't think he is that good of a coach. He has had the talent the last 3 years to run the table or at least go 1-loss, but he hasn't done that. Now the better coach on LSU (Bo Pelini) is leaving to Nebraska as well as LSU is losing everyone on its defense and its best offensive players. Seriously, this team will finish 3rd in the SEC West next season.

Jonny
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I think Michigan might hire somewhat of an "interim" coach for this year and hope that a high profile coach becomes available after next season . . . and in the meantime, if the "interim" coach succeeds, then that also solves the problem . . .

Probably not the best idea for recruiting purposes, but it seems foolish to commit 100% to a guy who was not your first choice . . .

That'd be nuts.

There are tons of coaches who'd want that job. Michigan is scaring them all away by insisting on someone who'll be ultra conservative and keep their terrible assistants.

P-L
12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
That'd be nuts.

There are tons of coaches who'd want that job. Michigan is scaring them all away by insisting on someone who'll be ultra conservative and keep their terrible assistants.
I think it's more of a money issue. Most "insiders" don't think Michigan will pay more than $2 million to their next coach.

Michigan
12-06-2007, 05:04 PM

that means nothing. the same michigan "out" clause is in that contract.

miles won't be michigan's coach though.

bearsfan_51
12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it's more of a money issue. Most "insiders" don't think Michigan will pay more than $2 million to their next coach.

Yes. This is key. No coach is going to take the job at 2 million unless they're coming from a much smaller program. I actually commend Michigan for not giving into the ridiculous contract demands that college coaches have now, but it's going to cut down on their options.

Turtlepower
12-06-2007, 05:14 PM
It really looks like Brady Hoke will get the position. I don't see Tedford or Pinkel leaving there respective schools and I'm sure that O'Brian will need a ridiculous buyout from NC State.

kwilk103
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
schiano meets with the um ad

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/12/schiano_meets_with_michigan_ov.html

LonghornsLegend
12-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Sounds like Greg Schiano might be interested in the job

dabears10
12-06-2007, 11:36 PM
What do you Wolverine fans think of Schiano?
I think he's a better hire than Les Miles or Ferentz. Seems suited to Michigan style, only question is recruiting.

WildDude
12-06-2007, 11:53 PM
IMO Brian Kellys the best coach out there and why isnt anyone going after Turner Gill he was used by Nebraska just so it looks like he was a candiate but looks to me Michigans not gonna get a great coach if Greg snubs them which he must do! I mean i dont understand why noones going after Kelly undoubtely the best coach out there

bearsfan_51
12-06-2007, 11:59 PM
It really looks like Brady Hoke will get the position. I don't see Tedford or Pinkel leaving there respective schools and I'm sure that O'Brian will need a ridiculous buyout from NC State.
This is just a side note, but if you go to Coach Hoke's page on the Ball State athletics website it gives his phone number. I wonder how many people have been calling him this week.

evershot
12-07-2007, 12:58 AM
What do you Wolverine fans think of Schiano?
I think he's a better hire than Les Miles or Ferentz. Seems suited to Michigan style, only question is recruiting.

I don't think recruiting will be a problem for Schiano. He has a very good reputation in the Northeast; especially in the New Jersey area. I think his ability to recruit the Northeast region would be a huge plus in his favor.

RyanLeaf#1
12-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Here is the ESPN like for Schiano:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3145019

Sniper
12-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't think recruiting will be a problem for Schiano. He has a very good reputation in the Northeast; especially in the New Jersey area. I think his ability to recruit the Northeast region would be a huge plus in his favor.

I agree. In addition, he's also making his presence felt in Florida as well, which is obviously a huge recruiting area and a plus for whatever school has him.

Forenci
12-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out here that according to WFAN (local New York radio) that Schiano is not accepting the Michigan job and has declined the offer to stay with Rutgers.

Not 100% sure on the accuracy, but it seems like he's staying with Rutgers.

Jughead10
12-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out here that according to WFAN (local New York radio) that Schiano is not accepting the Michigan job and has declined the offer to stay with Rutgers.

Not 100% sure on the accuracy, but it seems like he's staying with Rutgers.

Pat Forde for ESPN.com is also reporting this as well. He is waiting for Penn State. I've said that all along.

P-L
12-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I highly doubt that Brady Hoke gets the job. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I'd bet that Michigan would just hand the job to Mike DeBORED before they offered it to Hoke. Schiano probably won't end up coming to Michigan because they won't offer him enough cash.

Jonny
12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
He's not waiting for Penn State. Schiano has said that no one can follow Joe Pa.

Jughead10
12-07-2007, 09:14 AM
He's not waiting for Penn State. Schiano has said that no one can follow Joe Pa.

He said that as a compliment to a great coach. I don't think he was being literal there.

RoyHall#1
12-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Yep, you're right. They're not going to have a football program.

[/sarcasm]

P-L
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Michigan fans, there is hope after all. People out of Ann Arbor are saying that Bill Martin interviewed Brian Kelly yesterday.

YAYareaRB
12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Schiano Staying at Rutgers

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7535882

Greg Schiano rejected overtures from Michigan and will remain the football coach at Rutgers.

RyanLeaf#1
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Michigan fans, there is hope after all. People out of Ann Arbor are saying that Bill Martin interviewed Brian Kelly yesterday.

I just read somewhere that Brian Kelly has asked Cincy to restructure his contract.

ironman4579
12-07-2007, 09:26 PM
In case anyone didn't here(I'm sure most did) Les Miles directed his agent to get in touch with Bill Martin on Friday before the SEC title game. Martin did not answer the phone, and did not return the messages left for him. The reason? He was out sailing and never got the calls or the messages. Brilliant............

cowboysforever
12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Michigan needs to poney up $$$ and stop being so arrogant.

Those "Michigan Man" days are over.

scottyboy
12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Greg's not leaving, but i guess longshot is the best term for rumors sake. I hope it stays longshot consdiering last year it was Miami he was rumored to go to.

you guys should just listen to me, it's like I'm pyschic or something

ThEvIcTR
12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
This has been a total embrassment to the whole university of michigan program. Bill Martin along with Lloyd Carr are running this program into the ground. Les Miles should have already been packing his bags and buying winter clothes right now. i still cant believe the University of Michigan is unwilling to pay a coach top dollar when all they do is tax the living **** out of the fan base. These last few years have really been hell for the university of michigan. It isnt gonna get any better after Urban Meyer gets his revenge on Lloyd Carr in the COB.

God how sad is it that a coach from RUTGERS won't even come coach U of M!!! My guess is that Bill Martin put a disgrace of an offer on the table.

If even knew Lloyd Carr was going to retirer then why didnt we think this out months ago! unbelieveable!!

Sniper
12-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Breathe....Relax..It's ok...

Andy Geiger was similarily skewered before selecting his last coach, as evidenced in this piece. http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,3361950_56,00.html

Look how that worked out

scottyboy
12-08-2007, 08:55 PM
I saw a political cartoon today with a man reading the sports page, seeing the Schiano headline of him staying at RU, and breathing a sigh of relief. A man walks uo to him and says "RU fan?" the man reading the paper says "No, Michigan fan"

Now Michigan fans, would you have liked/loved/hated to see Schiano coaching you guys next year? I feel the cartoonist has never watching college football in his live, but i was just curious on your thoughts...

ironman4579
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I saw a political cartoon today with a man reading the sports page, seeing the Schiano headline of him staying at RU, and breathing a sigh of relief. A man walks uo to him and says "RU fan?" the man reading the paper says "No, Michigan fan"

Now Michigan fans, would you have liked/loved/hated to see Schiano coaching you guys next year? I feel the cartoonist has never watching college football in his live, but i was just curious on your thoughts...

Here's the thing. I think Schiano has done great things at RU. He's really made that program relevant. I think he's a very good coach. But honestly, I'm not sure if he would be in my top 5 guys right now. And the reason is simple. He reminds me(the style of game his teams play I mean) of what we've been seeing in the Lloyd Carr era. His offense just seems rather vanilla and predictable, which is exactly what we had before. And I haven't been overly impressed with the defenses he's had either(although I have to say, I haven't seen enough RU games to form a true, definative opinion). I'd just like to see someone like Brian Kelly, who can bring our offense into the here and now, a guy that can bring something new to Michigan football.

If any of that sounds wrong to you scotty, please correct me. Like I said, I haven't seen enough RU to form a solid opinion of Schiano's gameplan, recruiting prowess, player discipline policies, player education policies etc.

Marino13
12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Martin has reportedly contacted the following coaches

1. Jeff Tedford
2. Mike Leach
3. Dan Hawkins
4. Chris Peterson
5. Butch Davis
6. Bronco Mendenhall
7. Gary Patterson
8. Ron Prince

soybean
12-09-2007, 12:40 AM
a new guy in the running?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ai6GpAmoyd8JNgto7lP6n7QcvrYF?slug=coachi ngcarouselembarras&prov=tsn&type=lgns

bearsfan_51
12-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Sarikisian is an interesting option, but I wonder how well he would adjust to the Midwest. The Michigan sensibility, fan base, and high school coaches, are a lot different than Los Angeles.

Not to mention he'll probably just wait for Carroll to leave so he can have the USC job.

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Here's the thing. I think Schiano has done great things at RU. He's really made that program relevant. I think he's a very good coach. But honestly, I'm not sure if he would be in my top 5 guys right now. And the reason is simple. He reminds me(the style of game his teams play I mean) of what we've been seeing in the Lloyd Carr era. His offense just seems rather vanilla and predictable, which is exactly what we had before. And I haven't been overly impressed with the defenses he's had either(although I have to say, I haven't seen enough RU games to form a true, definative opinion). I'd just like to see someone like Brian Kelly, who can bring our offense into the here and now, a guy that can bring something new to Michigan football.

If any of that sounds wrong to you scotty, please correct me. Like I said, I haven't seen enough RU to form a solid opinion of Schiano's gameplan, recruiting prowess, player discipline policies, player education policies etc.

the only place you're a tiny bit off is the defense. He's turned undersized and low recruit defenses into pretty good ones for the last 2-3 years(this year, it got exposed for lack of talent at LB)

and you couldnt be more right on the offense. Playcalling is ridiculously obvious. He does mix itup with some trick plays now and then, but it's usualy pound it with Rice, than throw bombs...

His recruiting would've been huge for michigan bringing NJ and florida kids with him.

I agree with Kelly, he's bring a new type of energy to michigan

ironman4579
12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
the only place you're a tiny bit off is the defense. He's turned undersized and low recruit defenses into pretty good ones for the last 2-3 years(this year, it got exposed for lack of talent at LB)

and you couldnt be more right on the offense. Playcalling is ridiculously obvious. He does mix itup with some trick plays now and then, but it's usualy pound it with Rice, than throw bombs...

His recruiting would've been huge for michigan bringing NJ and florida kids with him.

I agree with Kelly, he's bring a new type of energy to michigan

Unfortunately, Kelly is probably the last guy we'll actually think of hiring. Hopefully there's a coaches conspiracy to get Kelly the job and everyone turns us down until we have to give it to Kelly lol.

Sniper
12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, Kelly is probably the last guy we'll actually think of hiring. Hopefully there's a coaches conspiracy to get Kelly the job and everyone turns us down until we have to give it to Kelly lol.

Probably is the last guy we're considering because he's arguably the best candidate. Then again, Jim Tressel had to beg to be considered for the Ohio State job, and look how that turned out. Let's give it time before we dismiss it.

ironman4579
12-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Probably is the last guy we're considering because he's arguably the best candidate. Then again, Jim Tressel had to beg to be considered for the Ohio State job, and look how that turned out. Let's give it time before we dismiss it.

That's why it sucks. I really think he is the best candidate, and for some reason(I think it has to be more than the murder at CMU thing) he seems to be at the bottom of the list. And I think anytime Tressel gets brought up, it's a really good point, because that's kind of the way I feel about Kelly.

P-L
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
4. Chris Peterson
6. Bronco Mendenhall
At this point, I just wish Michigan would give one of these guys a shot. Both guys are young (43 and 41 respectively) and have had great success at smaller schools. I know recruiting would be a big concern with both of these guys, but why not give them a shot anyway?

Peterson was brilliant as Boise's Offensive Coordinator. Ever since 2001, Boise has had one of the best offenses in the nation in both points scored and total yards. As a Head Coach he's gone 23-2 and beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last season. The guy is young, energetic, and has a great personality (the total opposite of Lllloyd Carr). He'd also be cheap. I believe he's only making around $800,000 per year.

Not many people know about Bronco Mendenhall, but he's completely turned the BYU program around after Gary Crowton tried to run it into the ground. After a 6-6 first season, Mendenhall followed up with seasons of 11-2 and 10-2 (21-4) and two MWC Championships. Guy is also a good defensive mind and brings his innovative 3-3-5 defense. Also would be fairly cheap.

Although, I must say that I don't believe Martin actually contacted these two. I think it's just a bunch of fans wishing he did.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh my god...Michigan is apparently interested in Cam Cameron. I am so sorry Michigan fans.

Geo
12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
He can definitely coach offense, I'd rather have him than guys like Norv Turner or Al Saunders. Cameron is the real deal.

He might be better suited to coach college kids than pros. The first eleven years of his coaching career were at Michigan actually, including under Bo. Check out what he did in his time at Michigan, some impressive stuff. (http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=5014&lid=5014)

That said, he didn't light the world on fire with a 18-37 record over five years at Indiana, nevermind an 0-13 start with a Miami Dolphins franchise in the midst of transition. And he better have a defensive coordinator with the chops to completely handle the defense.

But honestly, a school could do much worse than hire Cam Cameron as their head coach. I think he'd be a good hire for Michigan, helping them attract offensive recruits to play for a pro coach in a fun pro offense that can be potent and prepare them for the pros.

cardsalltheway
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
No, you don't want Cam Cameron. He had Antwaan Randle El and couldn't ever reach even .500. He also had the genius idea of moving one of the greatest dual threat quarterbacks in college football history to wide reciever in his senior year.

junior2430
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Bronco would be a great hire. Great defensive mind. Really learned that 3-3-5 from Rocky Long while he was DC at New Mexico. But he's not afraid to go fit the D to his personell. Also not afraid to use an innovative offense.

I doubt he gets the job, but he'd be a good hire.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Les Miles still in talks with Michigan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150159

princefielder28
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Les Miles still in talks with Michigan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150159

Biggest problem here is Michigan wants to lock up a head coach and Les has a big game to worry about.

P-L
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Les Miles just admitted to talking to Michigan, but said that he is not a candidate was just assisting in their coaching search.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Les Miles just admitted to talking to Michigan, but said that he is not a candidate was just assisting in their coaching search.

How hard is it for Michigan to just look at Brian Kelly?

P-L
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
How hard is it for Michigan to just look at Brian Kelly?
Well there are two rumored reasons as to why Michigan won't hire him.

1) Murder scandal involving CMU football players. Kelly made some comments that some people took as "racist comments."

2) Lloyd Carr wants to keep his assistants, and Mike DeBord hates Brian Kelly.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 02:52 PM

1) Murder scandal involving CMU football players. Kelly made some comments that some people took as "racist comments."

Lloyd Carr can keep his assistants when he walks out the door. He can take the rest of his staff with him.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

**** Mike DeBord....

DoWnThEfiElD
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Bill Martin is making it so hard to care anymore..... I can't help but wonder if this program took a serious hit when Bo passed, because I honestly could not see this happening if he was still around.

RyanLeaf#1
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Looks like Jim Grobe could still be in the mix for this job.

P-L
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Looks like Jim Grobe could still be in the mix for this job.
Yeah, I heard he's the favorite. I've also heard that Brian Kelly might finally get consideration.

RyanLeaf#1
12-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I heard he's the favorite. I've also heard that Brian Kelly might finally get consideration.

I think Grobe would be a good fit, but im not sure if he would leave WF.

Michigan
12-12-2007, 03:55 PM

do you post on michigan's scout.com board? i would take their rumors with a grain of salt. lots of uneducated posters since lloyd retired.

adschofield
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
If I was Bill Martin, I'd take Pinkel, but then again his offensive style clashes with Debord

Sniper
12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
If I was Bill Martin, I'd take Pinkel, but then again his offensive style clashes with Debord

If I were Bill Martin, I'd take Brian Kelly and kill DeBord, but that's just me ;) That'll be the day when a spread offense makes its way to Ann Arbor

P-L
12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
do you post on michigan's scout.com board? i would take their rumors with a grain of salt. lots of uneducated posters since lloyd retired.
I do visit there, but I don't post there. I don't have an account, so I have no idea what the premium board has to say about Kelly.

RyanLeaf#1
12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
K.C. Keeler is rumored to be on top of the list now for Michigan. He is one of the best coaches in the nation IMO.

bearsfan_51
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Keeler would be an interesting move to say the least. If he can win the Championship this weekend that will likely go a long way as I'm sure Michigan will be looking for a coach that can beat Appalachian State.

RyanLeaf#1
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Keeler would be an interesting move to say the least. If he can win the Championship this weekend that will likely go a long way as I'm sure Michigan will be looking for a coach that can beat Appalachian State.

They are a big underdog this weekend, but I would love to see Delaware win. I personally dont think Keeler will leave Delaware even though its not Division 1 its still a presigious job to have.

Michigan
12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
here's a new name to think about
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=318643

i wouldn't get my hopes up considering the source, though

Tampa 2 4 life
12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
ESPN reporting Bill Martin is focusing on Rich Rodriguez.

soybean
12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
did anyone mention the Uconn coach? Joe Schad reported he's in the running.

seems like he comes up with a new name every day.

P-L
12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
here's a new name to think about
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=318643

i wouldn't get my hopes up considering the source, though
And Rich Rodriguez has an absurd buyout, iirc.

RyanLeaf#1
12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
And Rich Rodriguez has an absurd buyout, iirc.

There is no way Rodriguez goes to Michigan.

kwilk103
12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
rods buyout is between $4-5 mil; plus his salary this year is $1.9 mil

their looking at about $6-7 mil for this year alone

CC
12-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I have read on WVU's board that the buyout is 2.5 million, not 4 as was previously reported.

WVU will lose it if Michigan takes their basketball coach and football coach in consecutive years.

RyanLeaf#1
12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I have read on WVU's board that the buyout is 2.5 million, not 4 as was previously reported.

WVU will lose it if Michigan takes their basketball coach and football coach in consecutive years.

WVU made out with their new basketball coach. Huggins is a way better coach then Beilein. Huggins has two 5 stars going to WVU next year already, and has them at 7-1 this year with their only loss being at Tennessee by 2 points.

kwilk103
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
i read the buyout was $4 mil before aug 2008

huggins>>>>>>>>>beilien

kwilk103
12-14-2007, 04:43 PM
The major obstacle to a potential deal could be his buyout clause, which stands at $4 million if he leaves Morgantown, W. Va., before Aug. 31, 2008. That was part of the amendment signed last year that boosted his pay from its previous total of around $1 million.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071214/SPORTS06/71214035/1048/SPORTS&theme=CARR

ironman4579
12-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I would shoot myself if we hired Rich Rodriguez.

kwilk103
12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
if rod goes, look for wvu to hire terry bowden

badgerbacker
12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
As a Wisconsin fan, I'd be scared to death if Michigan got Rich Rodriquez. He's one of the best spread option coaches in the nation and he'd only get better athletes with Michigan. He'd have a lot of success in the Big 10 because it seems everyone has trouble stopping the spread running game.

49ers169
12-15-2007, 11:53 AM
As a Wisconsin fan, I'd be scared to death if Michigan got Rich Rodriquez. He's one of the best spread option coaches in the nation and he'd only get better athletes with Michigan. He'd have a lot of success in the Big 10 because it seems everyone has trouble stopping the spread running game.

Why??? I think it is a very risky move for the Wolverines.

Their offense will be great, no doubt, however it will take a few years to implement. U of M's offensive line is big and they aren't that agile compared to Florida. RR tends to bring in undersized lineman that have the ability to move quickly.

Also what is the word on the defensive situation in Ann Arbor?? If he brings that bandit style of defense, U of M will get shredded. That defense would not work against the upper tier teams.

badgerbacker
12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Why??? I think it is a very risky move for the Wolverines.

Their offense will be great, no doubt, however it will take a few years to implement. U of M's offensive line is big and they aren't that agile compared to Florida. RR tends to bring in undersized lineman that have the ability to move quickly.

Also what is the word on the defensive situation in Ann Arbor?? If he brings that bandit style of defense, U of M will get shredded. That defense would not work against the upper tier teams.
Yes, obviously right away, there wouldn't be much success with that offense. I can't see Ryan Mallett running the spread option very well and like you said, the offensive line isn't suited to run it right now. I'm just saying it could be a scary offense a few years down the road.

Also, you're right, his defense would be awful in the Big 10. If they could manage to keep some of their current staff though, they could possibly keep the defense in tact.

Michigan
12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Guys, RR tailors his offense to suit the players he has. If he came to Michigan, we'd run the spread, not the spread option. Frickin Shaun King had 3000 passing yards in RR's offense at Tulane.

The Unseen
12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
For all the talk about Bobby Petrino being ansy when he was at Louisville in regards to always looking for the next job, Rich Rodriguez has been much the same way.

P-L
12-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Rich Rodriguez would not run the spread option at Michigan until Ryan Mallett graduated. I have mixed feelings on Rodriguez. I think there will be an adjustment period with him, which means at least one more down year. But I also really like the potential for the team a few years down the road.

P-L
12-15-2007, 02:36 PM
It looks like Rich Rodriguez is staying at West Virginia.

RyanLeaf#1
12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Smart move on his part. Hes got the player there that fits hit system. I couldnt see him leaving White and Devine.

Jonny
12-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Whew. Dodged a bullet.

West Virginia needs to do whatever they can to make RRod a lifer.

Sniper
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Ok Bill Martin, now might be a good time to start ponying up large sums of REAL money, not Monopoly dollars. What a ******* imbecile this guy is.

Michigan
12-15-2007, 08:47 PM

source?

edit- ugh. eerhole says he's staying...

P-L
12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
source?

edit- ugh. eerhole says he's staying...
Just rumors, but it's all over Scout and Rivals message boards.

Marino13
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
eerhole is not wrong often, but there are some interesting rumors floating around other boards on scout and rivals that make several fans believe RichRod is on his way to the Big10

Tampa 2 4 life
12-15-2007, 10:53 PM
B-b-b-but if RR leaves, who will the bulls perform their yearly upset on???

kwilk103
12-15-2007, 11:10 PM
hes stayin

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 12:44 PM
according to scout, pryor said rod is gone

Tampa 2 4 life
12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Per CFT:

POSTED 1:40 p.m. EST, December 16, 2007 by Mike Florio

ROD TO MICHIGAN

A source close to Rich Rodriguez tells us that the now-former West Virginia coach is headed to Michigan, for a not-so-significant upgrade to his financial package.

Rodriguez was making $2 million or so in Morgantown; he'll make $2.4 million per year in Ann Arbor.

More to come.

Holy crap...

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001281

done deal; i didnt like him as a coach, but the way he handled it has been poor, imo

he went out to the piaa champ to recruit pryor and told him he was goin to mich before he told the team; pathetic

Marino13
12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001281

done deal; i didnt like him as a coach, but the way he handled it has been poor, imo

he went out to the piaa champ to recruit pryor and told him he was goin to mich before he told the team; pathetic

my buddies were calling me crazy when I said I swore I saw RichRod at the game yesterday (live in Harrisburg went to the game).

Intriguing hire

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
i cant believe he went to pryors game on wvu's money/time to recruit him to michigan; pathetic

look for terry bowden to be the new coach; other canidates possibly are jimbo fisher (grew up 40 min from wvu; still has a ton of family there) and jim grobe (wv native)

bwillie26
12-16-2007, 01:07 PM
He took WVU money to recruit a player for another school? lol I'm sorry, but that is so dirty it is actually funny.

Michigan
12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
About time this thing came to an end (at least what looks like an end).

Scotty D
12-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Michigan have a shot for Pryor?

sweetness34
12-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Well we've got two teams now who'll be focused on team speed and spread offenses in the Big 10. RR will recruit speed, speed, and more speed along with Illinois.

This should be interesting. I wonder where Mallet ends up now...Solid hire IMO, nothing great but better than some of the other guys they were looking at.

Sniper
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Not a fan of this hire at all. Rich Rodriguez's teams are mentally and physically soft and I'm not a huge spread option fan. Possibly the worst fit for a team that has always run a pro-style offense and defense. We already have no DBs and now we need to play 5? Lovely.

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 01:18 PM

he said take wvu off, and add michigan

its gonna be osu

P-L
12-16-2007, 01:24 PM
It increases their chance from 0% to 0.1%.

P-L
12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
This should be interesting. I wonder where Mallet ends up now...Solid hire IMO, nothing great but better than some of the other guys they were looking at.
I'll be shocked if Mallett transfers. For the 1,000,000th time: Rich will adjust his system to fit his players (like he did at Clemson and Tulane). He will NOT force the spread option on the current personnel.

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
doc holiday from florida could be a canidate

played and coached at wvu

P-L
12-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm happy that Bill Martin did something right. I don't think Rodriguez was necessarily the best candidate, but at least he's better than Kirk Ferentz or Greg Schiano.

NGSeiler
12-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Unbelievable. Well, no. Very believable since he practically did the same thing last year. This school recompensates him in order for him to stay, and then he bolts the next year. Just makes me sick.

bearsfan_51
12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Well we've got two teams now who'll be focused on team speed and spread offenses in the Big 10. RR will recruit speed, speed, and more speed along with Illinois.

Minnesota runs the spread offense as well.

iowatreat54
12-16-2007, 02:02 PM
i cant believe he went to pryors game on wvu's money/time to recruit him to michigan; pathetic

look for terry bowden to be the new coach; other canidates possibly are jimbo fisher (grew up 40 min from wvu; still has a ton of family there) and jim grobe (wv native)

I doubt Fisher leaves FSU after being crowned Bowden's successor...I hope this doesn't force slaton and white to leave (even though I think slaton is already leaving)

iowatreat54
12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Minnesota runs the spread offense as well.

as does northwestern...only with no speed

bearsfan_51
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Not a fan of this hire at all. Rich Rodriguez's teams are mentally and physically soft and I'm not a huge spread option fan. Possibly the worst fit for a team that has always run a pro-style offense and defense. We already have no DBs and now we need to play 5? Lovely.

I'm sure they made the hire with more than just this year in mind.

P-L
12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Are you sure we're going to be using the 3-3-5? Rich Rod is an offensive coach, and unless he brings his Defensive Coordinator from WVU, I doubt he'll insist that we use it.

Basileus777
12-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I wonder what happens with Mallett, I can't see him playing in RR's spread offense.