PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance The Pats Draft Dorsey?

furiousgod
11-25-2007, 11:24 PM
The pats have been using alot of 4-3 this year and 3 of there lbs are nearing retirement, any chance of this? Even on passing downs if they had dorsey, they could keep seymour at re, dorsey at ut, wilfork at nt and thomas as le(which we all know he is more then capable to play well at)

Or am i just a raidersfan trying to convince myself they wont pick mcfadden? =)

BucSappy
11-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't think it would be very smart if they used a top 5 pick on a DL considering they already have Wilfork, Seymour, Warren and Jarvis Green. So that also rules out Chris Long (in my opinion).

If I am the Pats here is the top 10 of my draft board:

1. Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
2. Jake Long T Michigan
3. James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
4. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
5. Kenny Phillips S Miami FL
6. Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State
7. Chris Long DE Virginia
8. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU (this low based on need)
9. Rey Maualuga ILB USC
10. Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma

elcapitan
11-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Call me naive, but I don't think Polian or Belichick would use a top 5 pick on a situational player unless they were to convert fully to a 4-3.

elcapitan
11-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh another thing. I may be one of the few but I don't think you'll have to worry about the Pats selecting McFadden - should they be in position to do so this upcoming Draft. Not only do they have Lawrence Maroney and Kevin Faulk for 2 and 3 more years respectively, but the Pats also have to deal with re-signing Randy Moss at the end of this offseason. For a team whose primary method of attack is through the air, I find it reckless for a GM to invest 30 mill on a rookie RB who may rarely get the ball when they already have a proven commodity in Moss.

D-Unit
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Eh, I think the Pats will take Chris Long if they keep the pick.

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Eh, I think the Pats will take Chris Long if they keep the pick.

Where is he going to play on their defense? They have Ty Warren at one end and Richard Seymour on the other, and Jarvis Green is for depth.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Where is he going to play on their defense? They have Ty Warren at one end and Richard Seymour on the other, and Jarvis Green is for depth.

New England loves linebackers who are 270+ and played defensive in college. Seems rather obvious to me.

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 04:48 AM
New England loves linebackers who are 270+ and played defensive in college. Seems rather obvious to me.

They do but they already have Adalius Thomas (who will eventually move to OLB) and Mike Vrabel. Vrabel will be 33 next year, he has 2-3 years left in him. Rosevelt Colvin is a solid starter for them now and can provide great depth next season when they move Adalius Thomas outside (and draft an ILB).

I mean where are they going to put Chris Long? They need someone that is going to help there team win now. Darren McFadden and Jake Long provide a huge boost in talent at either position.

If you all watched the game last night, you'd see how big of a need CB is for them, and they would have to give Malcolm Jenkins a look if McFadden and Jake Long are off the board.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
They do but they already have Adalius Thomas (who will eventually move to OLB) and Mike Vrabel. Vrabel will be 33 next year, he has 2-3 years left in him. Rosevelt Colvin is a solid starter for them now and can provide great depth next season when they move Adalius Thomas outside (and draft an ILB).

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they decided to keep Thomas inside and drafted Long to play the outside spot. I think he has the athleticism and mobility, and he fills the biggest need.

7-11
11-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Call me naive, but I don't think Polian or Belichick would use a top 5 pick on a situational player unless they were to convert fully to a 4-3.

Well unless Glenn Dorsey's blows out both knees in the next few months and lasts till about the 60th pick i don't think Bill Polian has a shot at him really...

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they decided to keep Thomas inside and drafted Long to play the outside spot. I think he has the athleticism and mobility, and he fills the biggest need.

The Patriots biggest need is at cornerback. But I really don't think when you are a team like the Patriots, and you do not have a lot of needs, that you spend that high pick mostly on need...value needs to be emphasized at that spot.

They have draft picks in rounds 2 and 3. It's not like they can't find very capable players (CB, ILB) in these rounds.

P-L
11-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I really have never been high on the thought of Chris Long as a 3-4 OLB, but after thinking about it a bit, he might just be a fit for the Patriots there. That will be an interesting scenario to consider.

etk
11-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with Vernon Gholston?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
The Patriots biggest need is at cornerback. But I really don't think when you are a team like the Patriots, and you do not have a lot of needs, that you spend that high pick mostly on need...value needs to be emphasized at that spot.

Corner won't become that huge of a need until the Asante Samuel situation is resolved. It isn't like the Patriots would be reaching for Long in the top 5.

I really have never been high on the thought of Chris Long as a 3-4 OLB, but after thinking about it a bit, he might just be a fit for the Patriots there. That will be an interesting scenario to consider.

I was with you for the most part, I felt that I'd perhaps rather see Long gain another 20 lbs. at the risk of his mobility if someone wanted him to be in the 3-4, but I can't think of a 3-4 scheme that would be friendlier to Long playing outside linebacker.

PoopSandwich
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
If they got McFadden they would have the best 2 back system in the league as well as the best passing game in the league.

no love
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with Vernon Gholston?

Because getting him would be just plain unfair. And no one else wants to say he's going to the Pats because they would all want to have him on their team.

He is the closest thing to Shawn Merriman since Demarcus Ware.

frisby213
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
If they got McFadden they would have the best 2 back system in the league as well as the best passing game in the league.

Vikings with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor would be better.

Chargers with LDT and Michael Turner, too, really.