PDA

View Full Version : Pat Sims DT Auburn

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Junior prospect really impressed me with his play against Alabama. Consistently makes plays behind the LOS. 6'4/316/4.92

Anyone have any thoughts on this player? Seems really athletic. Combine warrior? Could he surpass Sedrick Ellis and be the #2 DT drafted if he commits to this draft?

Stufazz
11-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Definately one of the top junior DT. Can play the nose if need be, which can only improve his stock. listed at 6'4 312lbs. im not sure about combine warrior though. Highly recruited out of High School. Has had issues in the past with motivation and his reaction to being pushed by Auburn's coaching staff (he left the team).

However since he asked to come back his effort has seemed to of improved

metafour
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Resident Auburn fan here, I really doubt that Pat Sims will come out this year (in fact I'll go out and say he wont). Providing he stays he should be a near lock as a first day pick next year. He isn't a freak athletically but given his great size he is pretty athletic and can rush the passer/get penetration.

He has really matured and grown into a leader, like mentioned by Stufazz, he left the team and quit football because he was home sick and unmotivated. After he realized he made a mistake he was granted re-entry and was BURIED in the doghouse. He had to outwork everyone just to get back into the playing rotation and has since then grown into one of the leaders of the team.

Auburn's D-Line is going to be sick BTW. Sen'Derrick Marks probably has even more potential than Sims. If Marks moves back inside to DT next year (his natural position) I'd seriously doubt that there will be a better interior combination. Add super-sleeper Antonio Coleman (who has pretty much been a terror this season leading the team in sacks even though he's spent half the season as a backup) and a few other DE's who should be ready to contribute including 5-star JUCO Raven Gray.

BucSappy
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Resident Auburn fan here, I really doubt that Pat Sims will come out this year (in fact I'll go out and say he wont). Providing he stays he should be a near lock as a first day pick next year. He isn't a freak athletically but given his great size he is pretty athletic and can rush the passer/get penetration.

He has really matured and grown into a leader, like mentioned by Stufazz, he left the team and quit football because he was home sick and unmotivated. After he realized he made a mistake he was granted re-entry and was BURIED in the doghouse. He had to outwork everyone just to get back into the playing rotation and has since then grown into one of the leaders of the team.

Auburn's D-Line is going to be sick BTW. Sen'Derrick Marks probably has even more potential than Sims. If Marks moves back inside to DT next year (his natural position) I'd seriously doubt that there will be a better interior combination. Add super-sleeper Antonio Coleman (who has pretty much been a terror this season leading the team in sacks even though he's spent half the season as a backup) and a few other DE's who should be ready to contribute including 5-star JUCO Raven Gray.

Exactly the response I was looking for thanks a lot.

bearsfan_51
11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Considering his measureables and size, I don't think it's out of the question that Sims would be a 1st rounder if he declared his year. I've currently got he and Moore and my 3rd defensive tackles, both of which could make a push for the late 1st.

BucSappy
11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Considering his measureables and size, I don't think it's out of the question that Sims would be a 1st rounder if he declared his year. I've currently got he and Moore and my 3rd defensive tackles, both of which could make a push for the late 1st.

What's holding him back from being a high-mid first round pick?

bearsfan_51
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
What's holding him back from being a high-mid first round pick?
I would personally say production, and the leaving the team incident of course.

That said, these are only my rankings. It only takes one team and with his times and size I could see someone biting.

He's very similar to Justin Harrell actually, who went higher than almost anyone expected.

energizerbunny
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
depending on how he works out his stock can soar, he has enough tape out there where he looks very,very good which could justify a high selection.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2008, 05:28 AM
He got a mid 2nd round to late 2nd round assessment from the NFL advisory committee. I'd say any junior assessed as a 2nd rounder has a legitimate shot at getting to round 1 with a solid post season but he's not going top 10 or anywhere close. Juniors have the most to gain from the combine as the scouts get a look at them beside a senior prospect. That's when the scouts are better able to assess their ceiling even though they may not be as finished as the seniors.

JT Jag
01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Believe it or not, I think the Jaguars might be interested in him as a first-round prospect.

I think they're souring on Stroud.

Don Killuminati
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
The more, the merrier. C'mon, DLs.

thebow305
01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd be pretty ecstatic if we got him in the 3rd. Even second round I wouldn't mind.

BamaFalcon59
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Good fit for the Falcons.

Bills2083
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Believe it or not, I think the Jaguars might be interested in him as a first-round prospect.

I think they're souring on Stroud.

If Jacksonville were to deal Stroud, what do you think they'd want for him?

I heard that Sims is a good fit for the cover-2. Is this true?

TACKLE
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
If Jacksonville were to deal Stroud, what do you think they'd want for him?

I heard that Sims is a good fit for the cover-2. Is this true?

Would he be a good fit for the Bills? Possibly in the 1st round?

genom
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Pat Sims could play 4-3 or 3-4, the guy is going to be a special player.

PACKmanN
01-10-2008, 06:27 AM
so would you guys compare him to Corey Williams?

rascal
01-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Hopefully denver drafts him in the second if he is available. Him or Beau Bell.

JT Jag
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM

I think they're souring on Stroud.If Jacksonville were to deal Stroud, what do you think they'd want for him?

I heard that Sims is a good fit for the cover-2. Is this true?We'd probably seek a 2nd, though I may be underrating the front office's belief of his trade value.

Teams will try and get him for a 3rd because of his age (Approaching 30) and injury concerns, but desperate teams might be willing to deal. Remember, Booger McFarland was traded for a second rounder, and when he's healthy Stroud is twice the player McFarland is.

Sims is a bit big to play in a Cover 2, but he might work for a team like the Bears. They run the Cover 2 but don't over-draft undersized, quick guys, and he'd fit there as a nosetackle.

I like him because he does what we like from our starting tackles--- run-stuffs solidly and gets some pass rush (11.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks from the nose-tackle position this year). He'd play undertackle for us next to Henderson, and I think it'd be interesting to see how he does.

49ers169
01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Well he wouldn't fall past the 49ers as it stands now. He would be a dream to have at nose tackle.

regoob2
01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
With his quickness and size I think he would be a very good NT in a scheme like the bears run. If JA wanted to go DT in round 2 this should be the guy.

urinemonkey
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I would personally say production, and the leaving the team incident of course.

That said, these are only my rankings. It only takes one team and with his times and size I could see someone biting.

He's very similar to Justin Harrell actually, who went higher than almost anyone expected.

Then he might be a likely candidate to be taken by the Broncos, even at #12. DT is their biggest need and Shanahan loved Harrell last year, and probably would have taken him if the Packers didn't.

DCBills
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Would he be a good fit for the Bills? Possibly in the 1st round?

I was just thinking the same thing. The guy may be just what we need. I could see his draft status surge as the months go on considering his size and production (was MVP of the Chick-Filet Bowl against Clemson; 1st team all SEC DT; and a big guy to boot).

Bobertchin
01-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I just hope he gets on a team that can coach him well. He dominates at times but also disappears at times (in the games I saw this year). I think it's a technique/conditioning issue. If he can get on a team like the Bucs or the Titans or the Giants (scary thought), he could be with players and coaches that have proven they can motivate a player and teach good technique. Then he'll thrive.

SenorGato
01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Well he wouldn't fall past the 49ers as it stands now. He would be a dream to have at nose tackle.

His size and skillset makes him a best fit as a DE in the 3-4. He's not that great of a two gap player from what I've heard (haven't seen him enough), and would do best as a 1 gap 3-4 like Phillips'.