PDA

View Full Version : DT Frank Okam

Texas Homer
11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Where do y'all see him getting drafted?
DT Frank Okam from Texas has a huge frame. I think he struggles with leverage sometimes, but I still think he gets drafted in the bottom of the 1st round or the 2nd round.

VoteLynnSwan
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
your name says it all.

furiousgod
11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
terrible leverage, bad motor, HIGHLY overrated. Feel sorry for anyone who drafts him before Dre Moore.

Texas Homer
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
terrible leverage, bad motor, HIGHLY overrated. Feel sorry for anyone who drafts him before Dre Moore.

So in your opinion, you think he'd be drafted in the 3rd-6th rnd. ???

Not saying your wrong, just looking for unbiased opinions. Thanks for your input.

nobodyinparticular
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
This guy, like you say, has a good frame and should be pretty strong. He really has very good tools to succeed at a very good DT. The only problem is that other posters are right when they state that he just doesn't get the concept of leverage and he doesn't have a very good motor. Fix his leverage and his motor might be improved merely because he will actually be doing something instead wasting effort pushing straight against offensive linemen. At this point I might take him in the 4th round as a project because of his tools, but I personally don't think he can do very well in the NFL until someone fixes his technique and leverage.

furiousgod
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
i think he is a first round draft pick based off of size and a 3-4th based off of everything else.

P-L
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
From what I've seen of him this season, I think 2nd Round is his best case scenario.

furiousgod
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM
From what I've seen of him this season, I think 2nd Round is his best case scenario.

i agree, do you think a 3-4 team drafts him? i would be really suprised considering his skill set right now.

nobodyinparticular
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
i agree, do you think a 3-4 team drafts him? i would be really suprised considering his skill set right now.

With his skillset you would think he would best fit maybe even as a DE in 3-4, but with his problems with leverage that is in question...

Texas Homer
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I was heard a Texas fan talking about Okam today saying that he thought Okam lacked the passion for the game and wouldn't be around the NFL for long.

I disagree. He has his shortcoming, but I think the team that drafts him can help him fix his techniques and hone his skills more so he could have a good career.

I think the combine will be key for Big Frank. If he shows up out of shape, I think he will slide big time. If he can show up in shape and tests well, I still think he goes in the late 1s or early 2nd round.

furiousgod
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM
With his skillset you would think he would best fit maybe even as a DE in 3-4, but with his problems with leverage that is in question...

i was just thinking with his leverage problems persisting he will never be able to play two gaps, but i do agree if he gets all that stuff sorted out he would be more suited for the 3-4, but right now i believe he has a much higher chance at being succesfull at the 4-3 personally.

nobodyinparticular
11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I was heard a Texas fan talking about Okam today saying that he thought Okam lacked the passion for the game and wouldn't be around the NFL for long.

I disagree. He has his shortcoming, but I think the team that drafts him can help him fix his techniques and hone his skills more so he could have a good career.

I think the combine will be key for Big Frank. If he shows up out of shape, I think he will slide big time. If he can show up in shape and tests well, I still think he goes in the late 1s or early 2nd round.

Combine is going to be key, yes, but just as importantly if not more will be his Senior Bowl practices. In those one-on-one drills and the practices, he has a chance to show he can play and do what he needs to do. If he does that he could be the biggest riser of the draft. If he doesn't, he could fall to 4th or 5th round status.

nobodyinparticular
11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
i was just thinking with his leverage problems persisting he will never be able to play two gaps, but i do agree if he gets all that stuff sorted out he would be more suited for the 3-4, but right now i believe he has a much higher chance at being succesfull at the 4-3 personally.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I would probably agree with everything that you said.

BoltHype
12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

couldnt agree more. Okam played horribly during the Holiday bowl and most of Texas' biggest defensive plays were made when Okam was on the sidelines!

LonghornsLegend
12-28-2007, 12:22 PM
He played horrible?? what game did you watch...there wasnt anyone on the Texas defensive line that played horrible, they blew ASU offensive line off the ball the entire game, please elaborate on how he played horrible as id love 2 hear it

KaneMarko
12-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Frank Okam is truly an enigma. Sometimes when I watch him play I come away thinking he has the potential to be really productive on the next level. Other times I come away think he may be a backup at best. The tools are all there. I’m just not sure he has the drive and technique to be a dominant tackle. The kid is incredibly intelligent. I think he gets very high marks in school and I think he said he wanted to go to law school. But on the football side he’s too up and down for my liking. You would think a kid with his dimensions would just dominate on his level. But he just doesn’t do it enough IMO. I wouldn’t take him before the second or third round.

D-Unit
12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Frank Okam is the next Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Sims, Gabe Watson...

The guy I really like is Roy Miller. That guy can play.

Bobo
12-28-2007, 01:04 PM
After watching Okam close again last night, I'm again not impressed. He has shown a few flashes at times, but most of the times he doesn't show any serious strength or quickness. Doesn't blow up blockers one on one, doesn't take on doubles really well. Doesn't look like much of an athlete. I'm guessing he's over hyped because he's big and plays for Texas.

Scott Wright
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I like him a lot personally. He has all the physical tools, excellent production and comes from a program known for producing good defensive tackles.

D-Unit
12-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I like him a lot personally. He has all the physical tools, excellent production and comes from a program known for producing good defensive tackles.
I still remember how hyped up Rodrique Wright was. But yeah... they've had some goodies... Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton.. Corey Redding, I guess.

I guess Okam being a Detroit Lion is all but locked up? lol.

Billingsley26
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM

I still remember how hyped up Rodrique Wright was. But yeah... they've had some goodies... Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton.. Corey Redding, I guess.

I guess Okam being a Detroit Lion is all but locked up? lol.

Yeah, I agree.

I think he is a very intriguing prospect. I think he has potential to be a force like John Henderson, or he could be a complete bust. This is where we see what he is made of. A lot of it has to do with his mind set. We will see right off the bat if he is NFL worthy. If he is able to stick to a routine and continuily work hard to be better, then he should warrant a higher draft pick.

However, this past year has kind of slowed down any talks about him going high. He still, however, has all the physical tools, and I would like to follow him throughout to see how he pans out. I think he is capable, but it is up to him.

12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I think he would be a perfect fit for the Raiders at the top of the second round.

urinemonkey
12-28-2007, 02:56 PM
He will likely be near the top of the Broncos draft board.

SubNoize
12-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I think he would be a perfect fit for the Raiders at the top of the second round.

I don't think so, they never have the right coaching for a guy who needs work, they always leave raw projects on the table and I don't think Okam is what they need at all.

BeerBaron
12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
maybe early 2nd as a true NT to the jets 34 sscheme

Play Hard
12-28-2007, 03:59 PM
He will likely be near the top of the Broncos draft board.

With his poor technique and passion for the game I think he will be a bust the day after he signs his contract. He's just one of the one's lookin to get paid NOT produce

ps. on a side note I watched about 20-30 plays of the game last night just to see him play and I only saw his # a couple of times. But the reason probably was that ASU fell behind early which took Texas's defensive run package out of the game as ASU had to pass and play catch up all game

TitanHope
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
From his performance in the Holiday Bowl, it appeared that he is set on just keeping his ground and not allowing the OL to push him. I remember on one play, he and another Texas DL were doubling one OL and weren't pushing him anywhere. He didn't seem to want to pash rush.

He has all the physical tools, but I think he'll always be seen as an underachiever because of his talent. I still think he's the #3 DT in the draft though, and think he should be an early 2nd RD pick. Dre Moore intrigues me, but I haven't seen enough of him.

BeerBaron
12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
From his performance in the Holiday Bowl, it appeared that he is set on just keeping his ground and not allowing the OL to push him. I remember on one play, he and another Texas DL were doubling one OL and weren't pushing him anywhere. He didn't seem to want to pash rush.

He has all the physical tools, but I think he'll always be seen as an underachiever because of his talent. I still think he's the #3 DT in the draft though, and think he should be an early 2nd RD pick. Dre Moore intrigues me, but I haven't seen enough of him.

lol, from your first paragraph he seems like a perfect 34 NT then

Play Hard
12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
I have heard alot of Dre Moore recently but have yet to see him play. But from what I have heard I think he will go before Frank in the draft,so early 2nd for Dre ( Raiders ) then Frank can go to whomever mid 2nd ( Donkeys ? )

BoltHype
12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
He played horrible?? what game did you watch...there wasnt anyone on the Texas defensive line that played horrible, they blew ASU offensive line off the ball the entire game, please elaborate on how he played horrible as id love 2 hear it

Here is what I posted at my blog (bolthype.com) last night:

I wasn't particularly impressed with DT Frank Okam tonight. I know he is touted as one of the best senior defensive tackles but I don't see him as a first round guy and I'm pretty sure the Chargers agree with me. For a man his size he does not command double teams and is often handled pretty well by a single guard or center. He has great length and is pretty nimble on his feet but I didn't see the aggression in him that you like to have on a 3-4 defensive line. He didn't show great power and strength and wasn't doing much to collapse the pocket. Okam moved around on the line playing a variety of techniques but he didn't really make any plays. On passing downs he was rotated out. Frank Okam is an interesting guy but I am wary of defensive linemen who have questionable motors. During the game, some of Texas' biggest plays on defense were made without Okam in the game! At this point I cannot see how he would carry a grade any higher than second round.

IBleedGreen18
12-28-2007, 05:31 PM

I think you are pretty mistaken as to what is ideal for a 3-4 NT. A 6'6 DT that has a problem with leverage would probably not make for much of a 3-4 NT.

Prototypical 3-4 NT - 6'0 - 6'2 315lb - 340lb

Prototypical 3-4 DE - 6'5 - 6'6 295lb - 315lb

Hes a little heavy for 3-4 DE but that would certainly be a better fit for someone his size. His trouble with keeping intensity up would make for a problem at DE, but his problem with leverage would make it impossible for him to be a 3-4 NT.

Frank Okam is a better fit for a 4-3 DT in my opinion. 3-4 DEs are in high demand so it might be worth the experiment, but I don't think thats his most effective position.

TitanHope
12-29-2007, 03:48 AM

Possibly, but whether or not he can do that in the NFL is another thing...

I think you are pretty mistaken as to what is ideal for a 3-4 NT.

Okam is not ideal for the 3-4 NT position, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to play it, especially since most of his problems are technique. Besides, Baron was just responding to my post which said he can hold his ground against OLinemen without being shoved around, which is important for NT's in the 3-4.

Buffalo M
12-29-2007, 06:27 AM
I watched the Bowl game and he really didn't do much. I did see the double team on him sometimes but he really didn't do anything to make a difference. Seemed to get tied up easily on other plays.

Then again, Arizona St. couldn't run the ball so one couldn't judge his ability to fill running lanes.

Diehard
12-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I watched the Bowl game and he really didn't do much. I did see the double team on him sometimes but he really didn't do anything to make a difference. Seemed to get tied up easily on other plays.

He got doubled a lot in that game, but you're right, he really just "occupied" the blockers rather than creating any push. Is it a leverage issue or just desire? He certainly has all the physical tools... but it's not enough just to look the part.

I'd take Dre Moore over Okam any day of the week.

Texas Homer
12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought Okam played well in the bowl game. I thought he got good push a few times and stopped some guys in the back field. He played with a good motor for a lot of the game.

I think the thing with Big Frank is that he needs to play with more passion. He needs to prove to NFL brass that he is passionate about the game. He is very talented, but needs to play with a better motor.

After the bowl game, I'm thinking 2nd round. He still needs to show up to the combine somewhat in decent shape too.

BroadwayJoe10
12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I tell ya what, neither Frank or Dre moore impressed me in their games. Neither did anything to really solidify themselves in my eyes as the premier 34 DE. You can't argue with Big Frank's tools and rumor has it that moore is gonna put a show on at the combine, but unless they do something special at their combine or pro day i dont see either cracking the first round.

furiousgod
12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I tell ya what, neither Frank or Dre moore impressed me in their games. Neither did anything to really solidify themselves in my eyes as the premier 34 DE. You can't argue with Big Frank's tools and rumor has it that moore is gonna put a show on at the combine, but unless they do something special at their combine or pro day i dont see either cracking the first round.

is it me or what? cause i think dre moore is the clearcut 3rd DT taken with great technique and leverage vs the double team vs the pass and a reasonable motor needing to work on his intensity vs the run.

genom
12-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Dre Moore played a great game the other night i think. Would be a great 3-4 DE for the Jets.

BoltHype
03-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Just how far has Okam fallen? I'd say he's a day two guy now. I heard at his pro day he did offensive line drills for NFL scouts!

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-23-2008, 02:24 PM
hes been a day two guy for quite a while now.At least for a couple months.

nobodyinparticular
03-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Let's just say that if Okam were to get his act together in terms of technique and leverage, he would likely be a stud 3-4 NT. He has all the tools to be great, but the execution of it isn't there because he doesn't seem to have a concept of leverage and technique.

As it stands, with his lack of ability to get under the pads of the opposing linemen, he's a mediocre 4-3 DT at best. For him to succeed in the NFL in any scheme he needs to get his act together in that regard.

Abaddon
03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Rod Wright/Antajj Hawthorne

The Legend
03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
4th Round maybe, Miami in the 5th Round could be nice

KaneMarko
03-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I have to echo pretty much what's already been said. He's obviously very gifted size-wise. But I just don't see the consistency. If he ever decides to play up to the abilities his large body would lead you to believe he possesses he could be a monster. Until then, I see him as a mid-round prospect.