PDA

View Full Version : Brice Butler/Michael Floyd Youtube Video

Jericho@SC
11-27-2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGgtGNqFVE

Short vid compares USC Commit Brice Butler to ND commit Michael Floyd.

After watching this, it seems not only that Butler is a considerably better prospect than Floyd, but that Floyd is SLOW AS HELL.

P.S. The video says Butler runs a 4.37, which I don't necessarily think is true, but he's definitely fast enough and has good enough hands to start at USC by at least his sophomore year.

gstock05
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Devier Posey > either of them.

Although I really like Butler. Floyd reminds me of Mike Williams a bit. He has those long loping strides, but has great size.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Although I really like Butler. Floyd reminds me of Mike Williams a bit. He has those long loping strides, but has great size.

Julio Jones > Devier Posey

gstock05
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Julio Jones > Devier Posey

Wont disagree there.

soybean
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
watch out for D.J. Shoemate, he's having a nice year down here. I can't compare him to the other guys thuogh cuz i don't follow recruiting.

Jericho@SC
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM

Everybody that is 6'4 is compared to Mike Wililams nowadays. But the truth is, Williams was a special breed of physical. He would absolutely run cornerbacks over.

USC has a 6'4 230 WR in David Ausberry. He too was being compared to Mike Williams in the summer workouts. But he really can't break tackles and box out defenders like Williams could. Most 6'4 230 receivers can't either. The jury is definitely still out on Floyd.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
watch out for D.J. Shoemate, he's having a nice year down here. I can't compare him to the other guys thuogh cuz i don't follow recruiting.

He's listed as an athlete. Will he be a wideout in college?

11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
i wonder what floyd timed in the 40

Sniper
11-27-2007, 04:24 PM
i wonder what floyd timed in the 40

I could be wrong, but I think he's around a 4.55

Axl Rose
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Floyd>Butler

Floyd is bigger, stronger, better vertical, better hands, better blocker, better at breaking tackles, ect.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Floyd>Butler

Floyd is bigger, stronger, better vertical, better hands, better blocker, better at breaking tackles, ect.

Wow shockingly Axl picks the ND commit over the SC commit... FWIW, I like Floyd a lot, he just needs some wheels.

By the way Axl, was it you that said Duval Kamara would be a better WR than Arrelious Benn?

RonnieRun23
11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Julio Jones>Aldarius Johnson>>>AJ Green>everyone else

Axl Rose
11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow shockingly Axl picks the ND commit over the SC commit... FWIW, I like Floyd a lot, he just needs some wheels.

By the way Axl, was it you that said Duval Kamara would be a better WR than Arrelious Benn?

Even if Floyd wasn't going to ND I would have picked him, I've been following his career since he was a sophomore and like what he has to offer. If I thought Butler was better or someone said a certain recruit was better then a ND recruit and I agreed I wouldn't even respond.

Yes, I said I think Kamara will end up being a better WR then Benn. It was after a Illinois fan here said Benn was the best freshmen receiver in the nation even before the season started. I still believe it.

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Even if Floyd wasn't going to ND I would have picked him, I've been following his career since he was a sophomore and like what he has to offer. If I thought Butler was better or someone said a certain recruit was better then a ND recruit and I agreed I wouldn't even respond.

Yes, I said I think Kamara will end up being a better WR then Benn. It was after a Illinois fan here said Benn was the best freshmen receiver in the nation even before the season started. I still believe it.But would your opinion be the same if Butler wasn't going to SC? And Benn is the best True Freshman receiver in the country.

soybean
11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
He's listed as an athlete. Will he be a wideout in college?

yeah, im pretty sure he's going to play wideout. I know he plays on D too down at servite but I think wideout is his natural position.

If pete wanted to he could use him as a multi-purpose but that's not pete's style and joe's got that down.

if anyone knows more about him you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Axl Rose
11-28-2007, 12:53 AM
But would your opinion be the same if Butler wasn't going to SC? And Benn is the best True Freshman receiver in the country.

Yes, I said it before when everyone thought he was thought to be a FSU commit. Floyd was the receiver I wanted most this year.

I guess we'll see, I like what I see from Kamara and stand by my opinion.

Sniper
11-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Yes, I said it before when everyone thought he was thought to be a FSU commit. Floyd was the receiver I wanted most this year.

I guess we'll see, I like what I see from Kamara and stand by my opinion.

You would take Floyd ahead of Julio Jones?????????? Surprising...

Just a quick Benn/Kamara comparison...

Kamara: 32 catches, 357 yards, 11.2 ypc, 4 TD
Benn: 49 catches, 596 yards, 12.2 ypc, 1 TD, 32 rushes, 158 yards, 4.9 ypc (Big 10 Freshman of the Year)

I'd say round 1 goes to Benn, but it should be a good battle.

Axl Rose
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM
You would take Floyd ahead of Julio Jones?????????? Surprising...

Just a quick Benn/Kamara comparison...

Kamara: 32 catches, 357 yards, 11.2 ypc, 4 TD
Benn: 49 catches, 596 yards, 12.2 ypc, 1 TD, 32 rushes, 158 yards, 4.9 ypc (Big 10 Freshman of the Year)

I'd say round 1 goes to Benn, but it should be a good battle.

I never seen Jones, ND was never in it for him so I never really paid attention to him. Floyd may not be the highest rated WR but the one I want cause hes the whole package IMO and fits ND well.

4 TD's to 1 TD, thats the most important of all the stats IMO.

Sniper
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I never seen Jones, ND was never in it for him so I never really paid attention to him. Floyd may not be the highest rated WR but the one I want cause hes the whole package IMO and fits ND well.

4 TD's to 1 TD, thats the most important of all the stats IMO.

Considering Kamara got his TDs against Navy (2), Duke and Purdue, I wouldn't put too much stock into that

gstock05
11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Also consider what Kamara has to work with around him.

Comparing player's ability this early in their career is useless.

mqtirishfan
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Also consider what Kamara has to work with around him.

Comparing player's ability this early in their career is useless.

Seriously. The supporting cast he had this year was pitiful. I still like Benn more, though.

Can someone at all tell me how Butler looked considerably better in that clip? He certainly looked faster, but faster does not equal better. Floyd was able to use his quickness and size to win one-on-one battles, much like Butler used his speed.

Jericho@SC
12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Seriously. The supporting cast he had this year was pitiful. I still like Benn more, though.

Can someone at all tell me how Butler looked considerably better in that clip? He certainly looked faster, but faster does not equal better. Floyd was able to use his quickness and size to win one-on-one battles, much like Butler used his speed.

Butler is faster and has better hands, arguably the two most important characteristics of a WR. I'd argue that Butler runs better routes also. Basically, he's more polished than Floyd, and the only thing Floyd has on him is size/strength.

JayP
12-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Butler is faster and has better hands, arguably the two most important characteristics of a WR. I'd argue that Butler runs better routes also. Basically, he's more polished than Floyd, and the only thing Floyd has on him is size/strength.

And yet, Scout and Rivals rank Floyd ahead of Butler.

Any argument you try to make on hands and route running ability would imply you've seen every game that both Butler and Floyd have made over their entire HS career to make that type of comparison.

mqtirishfan
12-11-2007, 07:29 PM

I absolutely do not see anything in that video to show that Butler has better hands or runs better routes. In the video, Butler runs faster, but Floyd is able to make huge plays because of his shiftiness.

Jericho@SC
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I absolutely do not see anything in that video to show that Butler has better hands or runs better routes. In the video, Butler runs faster, but Floyd is able to make huge plays because of his shiftiness.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=692630

Brice Butler is a unanimous selection among Mike Farrell, JC Shurburtt, and Jeremy Crabtree as having the best hands.

Jeremy Crabtree: "Butler is also an excellent route runner."

I may not have seen EVERY video of Brice Butler, but the Rivals experts have seen a bunch of film on him.

And Floyd may have looked good on that film, but how do you know it wasn't because of the weak competition he was playing against?

Butler is widely regarded by recruiting experts as having some of the best hands in this year's class. And you can't argue that his 40 times are faster than Floyd's 40 times. Like I said, speed and hands.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Like I said, speed and hands.

I don't agree with that. I'd rate attributes like this.

1. Hands
2. Route-Running
3. What you do after the catch
4. Tough Catch Ability
5. Blocking
6. Speed

JayP
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=692630

Brice Butler is a unanimous selection among Mike Farrell, JC Shurburtt, and Jeremy Crabtree as having the best hands.

Jeremy Crabtree: "Butler is also an excellent route runner."

I may not have seen EVERY video of Brice Butler, but the Rivals experts have seen a bunch of film on him.

And Floyd may have looked good on that film, but how do you know it wasn't because of the weak competition he was playing against?

Butler is widely regarded by recruiting experts as having some of the best hands in this year's class. And you can't argue that his 40 times are faster than Floyd's 40 times. Like I said, speed and hands.

Great, so you found 3 guys to validate a portion of your weak point.

Unfortunately, those same 3 help rank all of the WRs for Rivals, and Floyd is ranked ahead of Butler, meaning they must think that in the overall scheme of things, Floyd is a better WR than Butler.

You're trying to fall back on speed and hands as the sole requirements for a "polished" WR, but a truly polished WR can make the catch (difficult or routine), make something happen after the catch, and lay a block to spring a teammate for a big play.

Speed in a 40 yard dash isn't everything. Jerry Rice ran what...a 4.6? 4.7?

Butler is good. I just don't think he's better than Floyd right now.

VoteLynnSwan
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't agree with that. I'd rate attributes like this.

1. Hands
2. Route-Running
3. What you do after the catch
4. Tough Catch Ability
5. Blocking
6. Speed

no way is speed that low... speed i would put at 4 or 5. Blocking doesn't make a great receiver... Randy Moss i would argue is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and he doesn't do much if anything blocking wise.

Jericho@SC
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Great, so you found 3 guys to validate a portion of your weak point.

Unfortunately, those same 3 help rank all of the WRs for Rivals, and Floyd is ranked ahead of Butler, meaning they must think that in the overall scheme of things, Floyd is a better WR than Butler.

You're trying to fall back on speed and hands as the sole requirements for a "polished" WR, but a truly polished WR can make the catch (difficult or routine), make something happen after the catch, and lay a block to spring a teammate for a big play.

Speed in a 40 yard dash isn't everything. Jerry Rice ran what...a 4.6? 4.7?

Butler is good. I just don't think he's better than Floyd right now.

Fair enough. You have your opinion, I have mine. In terms of being polished, I just feel like Butler is less of a bust factor at this point because of his hands.

5 star WRs come into CFB and the Pros every year. Two things that you usually see from new WRs at both levels that make you realize that they perhaps aren't as good as they were advertised are dropped balls and inability to get open. You cant' be a good receiver if you can't catch balls thrown your way. By the same token, you won't get balls thrown your way if you can't get open.

If you look at USC this year, they had Vidal Hazelton, Patrick Turner, David Ausberry and Ronald Johnson. All 5 star talents. A mixture of "big bruising Mike Williams clones" and speedsters. Yet their passing game was weak this year because every single one of the the WR's struggled with dropped balls and for some reason couldn't get free from opposing corners.

I agree that Floyd is physically stronger and might have better RAC ability, but they said the same thing about Ausberry and Turner, and they both disappointed this year.

I'm not saying Floyd is going to do the same or that he can't catch or get open, but I'm wary of WRs who are touted more for their physical traits than fundamentals.

All I'm saying is that out of the two, I see Butler as less likely to have problems with dropped balls, and getting open. He's not an all world prospect, but I like him better a s a prospect.

Jericho@SC
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
no way is speed that low... speed i would put at 4 or 5. Blocking doesn't make a great receiver... Randy Moss i would argue is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and he doesn't do much if anything blocking wise.

I would put it

1. Hands - Obviously you gotta catch the ball

2. Route Running - If you run good routes, you can get open w/o speed.

3. Speed - On certain routes (streak), and against really good corners, without this
you won't get open.

4. Special Catch ability - Not all catches will be easy

5. Run after catch - I don't think this is that important. Most important thing is you catch the ball and get those yards. Also, it's not like NFL DB's aren't solid tacklers, so exceptional YAC is not common. RAC is more like a bonus rather than a necessity.

6. Blocking - Majority of WRs in the league aren't even good at this. No one expects a WR to be a great blocker.

Obviously you gotta catch the ball.