PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Jenkins Question

KaneMarko
11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I know it is still a bit early. But I was wondering if any one knew or had a gut feeling whether or not Malcolm Jenkins will enter the draft this year? From what Iíve seen of him he appears to be top 10-15 talent. Since it appears my Chiefs are headed towards a top 10 pick and in need of a young corner or two since Law and Surtain are both about to turn 80 years old, I thought heíd be a good pick assuming we canít get an offensive lineman of value where we pick.

TitanHope
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
This could shape up to be an extremely deep CB class. If the Chiefs have a Top 10 or so pick, they'll be able to pick a good OT, whether Jake Long, Ryan Clady, or Sam Baker. Then there's Jeff Otah and Michael Oher, who both can likely play Guard as well. Clady and Baker are the better pass protecting OT's, and Long is the best run blocking OT. Everyone has their preferrences, and some like Otah or Oher more than the others. But the Chiefs should definitely be in the position to take a quality LT when they pick. If I were them, I'd go OT 1st RD, probably DT 2nd RD, since DT isn't as deep as CB and perhaps Okam or Dre Moore will be there, and then CB in the 3rd RD. The difference in the CB's would probably be Aqib Talib/Jack Ikegwuonu to Roger-Cromartie or Dwight Lowery. But thats just me.

Freddy G
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Word on campus is that Jenkins, Gholston, and Robiskie are as good as gone. But it is here say at this point.

bored of education
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Malcolm Jenkins is worthy of a top 10 pick, he will be one of the best CBs in the game within a few years. Kid has talent

KaneMarko
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
This could shape up to be an extremely deep CB class. If the Chiefs have a Top 10 or so pick, they'll be able to pick a good OT, whether Jake Long, Ryan Clady, or Sam Baker. Then there's Jeff Otah and Michael Oher, who both can likely play Guard as well. Clady and Baker are the better pass protecting OT's, and Long is the best run blocking OT. Everyone has their preferrences, and some like Otah or Oher more than the others. But the Chiefs should definitely be in the position to take a quality LT when they pick. If I were them, I'd go OT 1st RD, probably DT 2nd RD, since DT isn't as deep as CB and perhaps Okam or Dre Moore will be there, and then CB in the 3rd RD. The difference in the CB's would probably be Aqib Talib/Jack Ikegwuonu to Roger-Cromartie or Dwight Lowery. But thats just me.

I think OT is a bigger need for the Chiefs than corner (although corner is a very close second). But if the Chiefs end up picking in the top 10, and juniors like Clady return for their senior year, then I donít feel there would be good value there at OT for the Chiefs to pick at say pick 9. I probably like Cherilus more than most. But I have him going in the 20s at this point. That being said, right now the Chiefs would be picking 8th or 9th by way of a tie with the Ravens. And if that stays that way for the rest of the year, I thought instead of going OT in the first, itíd be best for the Chiefs to go after Jenkins at say, 9th and maybe go after Otah in the second. After watching Otah all year Iíve become a big fan of his. But Iím not all the way certain I see him cracking the first round.

I may get a little grief for this but Iím really not a huge fan of Sam Baker in Hermís offense. I think Baker has awesome feet. But I question his field strength and ability to move D-Lineman off the ball on the next level. I think heís very technically sound. But I think Hermís smash mouth running game requires O-Lineman that can move people off the ball. Which I question Bakersí ability to do. I think Baker would do very well in Shannahanís zone blocking scheme or a scheme like what Al Saunders used to run while he was in KC where he typically had lineman pulling and blocking on the perimeter.

Man_Of_Steel
11-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Malcolm Jenkins is worthy of a top 10 pick, he will be one of the best CBs in the game within a few years. Kid has talent

My thoughts exactly, Id be surprised if he wasnt picked in the top ten.

princefielder28
11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Malcolm Jenkins has the ability to be an absolutely great corner in the NFL. He is hands down the best corner that could be eligible for the draft and this CB has the chance to be very special. He is certainly worthy of a Top 10 pick and I wouldn't be suprised to see him creep up around the Top 5 range.

Sniper
11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Word on campus is that Jenkins, Gholston, and Robiskie are as good as gone. But it is here say at this point.

ROBISKIE??????????????????????????? That's surprising...Hope he enjoys the fourth round money

Jenkins is really good, probably the #1 CB on the board.

KaneMarko
11-27-2007, 02:52 PM

I agree. Iíve kept an eye on Jenkins the past couple seasons and think he has the potential to be a very good corner on the pro level. As Scott and others have said, he isnít Champ Bailey. But I think heís closer to being that caliber of corner than any other corner that has come out since Bailey.

I think heíd be awesome here in KC. Like I said earlier, I think OT is a slightly bigger priority. But with this season going the way it is, we could be picking in the top 10. If that is the case, Malcolm Jenkins may be a better value pick than any of the remaining tackles. Especially if Clady goes back to BSU. I think the next best OT after him is probably Cherilus, who I see going somewhere in the 20s.

P-L
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Jenkins would be out of his mind to stay for his senior year. He's a probable top ten pick and could go as high as top five. He's the #1 CB in the draft by a pretty big margin in my opinion.

Babylon
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm sure Jenkins,Lauranaitis,Gholston and maybe even Boone will come out. Would be surprised if Robiskee does. As for Jenkins he should go fairly early but i'm not sure i would take him over Cason and Mike Jenkins.

bored of education
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I think KC should pick him no matter what. A CB like this guy comes around once every 3-5 years. Also being able to draft some potential futures LTS could come via trade mid 1st round pick and getting Williams, Otah or even drafting one in the 2nd round. I know that CB is not a priority in KC's D, but he wouold make them a very very good defense.

BaLLiN
11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
He can't improve his stock much more, but hes went already to one BCS Championship, and might go to another this year, its a definite if they win the BCS championship

energizerbunny
11-27-2007, 09:02 PM
it's going to be very difficult for him to improve on the performance he has given this year.

Finsfan79
11-28-2007, 08:47 AM

wonder where robiskie will get drafted around as Gholston and Jenkins seem to be easy locks for the 1st round now.

In terms of raw talent I really like this kid and feel he could be a top 10 pick. A nice cornerback in the NFL.

BucSappy
11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
I think if Robiskie committs, and that would be pretty shocking to me, that he projects as a mid round 2 pick. He could definately be a first rounder if he went back to school I don't understand leaving unless he hates going to class.

If Alex Boone committs I'm sure he is in round 1...very high round 2 at the latest.

As far as Jenkins, if he does great in post season workouts, then I think if the Pats are sitting at #4 overall then they have a legitimate argument to say that they are getting adequate value if they draft Malcolm Jenkins there.

asmitty45
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I want him to leave so the Lions can draft him, but I know he'd be gone way before our pick

Macarthur
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I would love it if the Cowboys could somehow get up high enough to get Jenkins.

SAGA45
11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm more a fan of Jenkins' play in run support than his coverage ability. Good, physical playmaker.

TyronePoole38
11-30-2007, 09:01 AM
I would love it if the Cowboys could somehow get up high enough to get Jenkins.

they could package their 2 1sts to try and move up ;)

RoyHall#1
11-30-2007, 09:10 AM

I don't think they'd be able to get into the top 10.

Macarthur
11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
No, I don't think they can get that far either. I'm starting to have second thoughts though. I think there will be a a very good CB in the early 20's.

keylime_5
11-30-2007, 11:09 AM

2 first round picks in the 20s don't equal a top 10 pick. 31st overall and 24th overall are where they are currently picking if the draft were today, not enough ammo.

kennyb
11-30-2007, 12:08 PM
2 first round picks in the 20s don't equal a top 10 pick. 31st overall and 24th overall are where they are currently picking if the draft were today, not enough ammo.

Pats MIGHT take it as they are probably not willing to pay top money to a rookie.

They've said they like the value better lower.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM

No way, Robiskie is not gone, no one is saying that dude.

Jenkins is gone. No doubt about it.

no love
11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
How does he compare to former Buckeye Nate Clements who has shaped up to be a top 10 corner in the league getting drafted in the 2nd round.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I think he is a better college player than Clements, could have a similar career...

Texas Homer
11-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I think Malcolm Jenkins compares well to Vikings DB Cedric Griffen, except Jenkins is bigger and they could slide Jenkins over to S if they wanted.

keylime_5
11-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Jenkins is a lock down cover corner (or at least as close as there is to one in this day in age in college football) who is huge at 6-1/210 who tackles well, supports the run well, and could be a stud safety as well, but CB is a more important, higher paying position. Probably our best cover corner since Winfield, who was one of the best college corners ever so that's saying something.

11-30-2007, 10:39 PM
he compares more favourably to nate clements than antoine winfield physically but playing style hes much more like winfield

etk
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know if it's been said already or not, but Jenkins is still only 19 YEARS OLD. He's less than 6 months older than Okoye was going into their respective drafts. I find that impressive for a guy who already has an NFL body and is widely considered the top CB heading into the draft.

Sniper
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know if it's been said already or not, but Jenkins is still only 19 YEARS OLD. He's less than 6 months older than Okoye was going into their respective drafts. I find that impressive for a guy who already has an NFL body and is widely considered the top CB heading into the draft.

Did not know that. Even more impressive.

etk
12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Did not know that. Even more impressive.

December 20th, 1987 is the magic number. I think the next-youngest top prospect is 4-5 months older, but I forget who.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I can't imagine Jenkins staying another year. He's going to leave this season as the majority vote for #1 cornerback, and he's going to have the added motivation of possibly being joined by Gholston and Laurinaitis in coming out early.

Additionally, Jenkins was given as much respect as a corner can this season. Leaving with that kind of momentum is huge.