PDA

View Full Version : college football playoffs.

soybean
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2007/11/ipt/1196153818.jpg

here's yahoo's idea of how the college playoffs would work.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

how do you see it turning out?

NYGibril28
11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
It's a good idea...but, bowl games generate too much revenue for college football to even consider a switch

vatech=accdomination
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
troy, cmu, and ucf should not be there.

RyanLeaf#1
I think the Troy vs West Virginia game would be a very good game.

Shane P. Hallam
Right now, I'd peg WVU and USC in the Championship game.

NYGibril28
troy, cmu, and ucf should not be there.

the article has a rep from each conference

soybean
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
It's a good idea...but, bowl games generate too much revenue for college football to even consider a switch

what if when it gets to the four teams, then you hold the games at neutral sites. Wouldn't that generate just as much if not equal number of revenue that bcs games generate?

OregonDucks
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I really truly think playoffs especially the one you showed are an awesome idea. They would be fun to watch.

dabears10
11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I think to qualify you should have at least 9 wins. For any conference champion regardless of size or power. Then Troy and CMU would be gone for say UofI and ASU.

Turtlepower
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Florida should not be there. That's just stupid.

Michigan
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
It seems like most years there would be too much of a drop off between #11 (final at-large) and #12 (top mid-major).

edit- lol @ georgia's bracket

BNad
11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Is it too late for this to be used? I'm liking the road my dawgs have to take. :P

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I think it would be stupid to have teams like Troy, CMU, etc. in there. Sure, they won their conference, but they would get destroyed by the top BCS conference teams, and it would really suck if a top player on one of the great teams got hurt in such a boring game.

I've always been a fan of a top four or eight team playoff. How about just have the conference winners go and then two at-larges based on BCS rankings.

jballa838
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Is it too late for this to be used? I'm liking the road my dawgs have to take. :P
Georgia would lose first round

draftguru151
11-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I think it would be stupid to have teams like Troy, CMU, etc. in there. Sure, they won their conference, but they would get destroyed by the top BCS conference teams, and it would really suck if a top player on one of the great teams got hurt in such a boring game.

I've always been a fan of a top four or eight team playoff. How about just have the conference winners go and then two at-larges based on BCS rankings.

Yea, upsets never happen, and who likes a cinderella team. :rolleyes:

Michigan
11-27-2007, 07:59 PM
err... on second glance... isn't this the same playoff format CFN.com has been advocating for the past 3 years?

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Yea, upsets never happen, and who likes a cinderella team. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't believe a team like Central Michigan or Central Florida can beat top teams that have won week in and week out all season. This isn't basketball where one player hot from beyond the arc can lead upsets.

Anyways, my main point is that I don't believe the playoffs should be that large. A 4 team playoff would be fine, and 8 teams would be the max realistically.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry, I don't believe a team like Central Michigan or Central Florida can beat top teams that have won week in and week out all season. This isn't basketball where one player hot from beyond the arc can lead upsets.

App State > Michigan

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
App State > Michigan

USC, Georgia, LSU, etc. >>> Michigan

Michigan is not an elite team this year and is not even in this playoff example, so obviously I'm not referring to them.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
USC, Georgia, LSU, etc. >>> Michigan

Michigan is not an elite team this year and is not even in this playoff example, so obviously I'm not referring to them.

So Arkansas would get an at-large bid over UCF or BYU?

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
So Arkansas would get an at-large bid over UCF or BYU?

WTF are you talking about?

Tampa 2 4 life
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
WTF are you talking about?

In your hypothetical bracket, since Arkansas has a win over LSU, they deserve it over the smaller conference champions? That doesn't make sense, why not give the smaller schools a chance?

P-L
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
App State > Michigan

I don't really think you can compare the situations. Michigan had a down year and they were looking past Appalachian State expecting an easy win the first game of the season. If there was a U-M/ASU rematch, Michigan would win that game 100 times out of 100. Teams like LSU, Florida, and USC would be giving it their all knowing the National Championship game is on the line.

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
In your hypothetical bracket, since Arkansas has a win over LSU, they deserve it over the smaller conference champions? That doesn't make sense, why not give the smaller schools a chance?

I don't have a hypothetical bracket. My idea would be a four or eight team playoff. That said, using this 16 team bracket as a template, I would take out the smaller schools for at-larges from BCS conferences based on BCS rankings. That may be unpopular, but I think it would be a waste of time to see Mizzou play CMU or WVU play Troy. Just my 2 cents.

diabsoule
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Their scenario is almost identical to one that I came up with, however, I doubt it will happen.

The only way I see college going to a playoff system is after the conferences are done realigning. As far as I'm concerned a playoff system could only work if all six major conferences had conference champions. The groundwork seems like it is beginning to get laid. The Big 10 is examining closely the option of expanding to 12 teams. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Missouri, Nebraska, and of course Notre Dame are the front runners. The Pac 10, while not proposing expansion is not entirely against it. The non-football teams of the Big East are thinking of forming their own conference in 2012, which if that move happens, the remaining football playing schools in the Big East would then try to expand to twelve football playing teams. Temple is looking to re-join the Big East in 2012 as well. Expansion by any of the six major conferences would also significantly impact the mid-major likes the WAC, Mountain West, C-USA, and MAC (to a lesser extent. I see no scenario where the Sun Belt would be tampered with.

A completely different system would have to adopted by the NCAA. One that would place a higher emphasis on parity and strength of schedules. If a system like that would be put into affect the days of teams playing Division I-AA teams would be gone.

Here is an alignment which I propose that would cause the least amount of shake-up and would leave Notre Dame as an Independent (which is what they want the most).

The ACC and SEC are left unchanged.

Big East Conference
North
Army (formerly Independent – football only)
Connecticut
Navy (formerly Independent – football only)
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple (formerly of the MAC)

South
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pittsburgh
South Florida
University of Central Florida (formerly of C-USA)
West Virginia

Big Ten Conference
West
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Missouri (formerly of the Big 12)
Minnesota
Wisconsin

East
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

Big Twelve Conference
North
Brigham Young University (formerly of the Mountain West)
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska

South
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Conference USA
East
East Carolina
Marshall
Memphis
Southern Mississippi
Tulane
University of Alabama-Birmingham

West
Houston
Louisiana Tech (formerly of the WAC)
Rice
Southern Methodist University
Tulsa
University of Texas-El Paso

[n]Mountain West Athletic Conference (Combination of the remaining MWC and WAC teams)[/b]
East
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico State (formerly of the WAC)
Texas Christian University
University of New Mexico
Utah State (formerly of the WAC)
Wyoming

West
Boise State (formerly of the WAC)
Hawaii (formerly of the WAC)
Idaho (formerly of the WAC)
Nevada (formerly of the WAC)
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
San Jose State (formerly of the WAC)
San Diego State

Pac 12
North
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Washington
Washington State

South
Arizona
Arizona State
Fresno State (formerly of the WAC)
University of California-Los Angeles
University of Southern California
University of Utah (formerly of the Mountain West)

DChess
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Florida should not be there. That's just stupid.

um how? they could very well be in the championship the way they play. barley lost to auburn, barley lost to lsu, they arent a bad team. teams like central michigan are up there and you choose to bash florida.

also this would help a team like usc who is at full strength and playing extremely well. liek the idea but i also love bowl games. yeah sure theres a few snubs but i mean if there was a playoff dont you think we would be complaining abt teams not getting a chance there too? march madness has 65 teams and theres some who ***** abt teams not getting in. thats why i kind of hate it when peopl say the bcs isnt fair, nothings fair, teams are always going to get left out, its just the way it is.

P-L
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
thats why i kind of hate it when peopl say the bcs isnt fair, nothings fair, teams are always going to get left out, its just the way it is.
I suggest that we add 8 teams to D1-A and cut the regular season down to 7 weeks. That means a 128 team playoff and everyone gets in!

Turtlepower
11-27-2007, 10:20 PM
um how? they could very well be in the championship the way they play. barley lost to auburn, barley lost to lsu, they arent a bad team. teams like central michigan are up there and you choose to bash florida.

also this would help a team like usc who is at full strength and playing extremely well. liek the idea but i also love bowl games. yeah sure theres a few snubs but i mean if there was a playoff dont you think we would be complaining abt teams not getting a chance there too? march madness has 65 teams and theres some who ***** abt teams not getting in. thats why i kind of hate it when peopl say the bcs isnt fair, nothings fair, teams are always going to get left out, its just the way it is.

I just feel a 3 loss team shouldn't be in there when they didn't even finish top-3 in there own conference. Also, I just don't like to see two conferences get 3 teams in that bracket and every other conference get 1 (with the exception of the ACC with 2).

BNad
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Georgia would lose first round

You honestly believe that?

Bigbadbob72
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
how about smaller conf would play each other and decide who gets in. They would basically have play in games. That way you can get a few more at large bids to good teams and can cut out the crappy teams. These games can be played this week and would be the same as the other conf title games.

georgiafan
11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

UGA would have the easiest round of anyone for the first 2 rounds