PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Accepts Bowl Bid

andyjo672
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Just got an email from school asking to buy tickets for the Outback Bowl...not too happy, was hoping for another visit to the Capital One Bowl.

Any ideas as to who will face the Badgers?

BucSappy
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
How can you not be exited to go to a bowl game WITH a pirate ship?

wiscbadgerfootball
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Pretty good.. I mean yeah I would have liked a trip to the Capital One bowl as well, but Illinois deserves it

VoteLynnSwan
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Pretty good.. I mean yeah I would have liked a trip to the Capital One bowl as well, but Illinois deserves it

eh, not so fast... Illinois still has a chance at a BCS bowl... not a great one, but a chance none the less.

wiscbadgerfootball
11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm just saying that Illinois should get picked before us, and yes I do have a doubt that they get picked for the Rose Bowl, there is a small change though. Wouldn't that leave Michigan or Penn State to capital one?

andyjo672
11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Because bowls aren't required to go strickly on standings, there is talk that the Capital One bowl would have gone with the Badgers or the Illini (if the Illini didn't make the Rose Bowl). Apparently Badger fans have proven before to travel better than the Wolverines, and seeing as this is an EXTREMELY disappointing Wolverines team, I wouldnt be surprised if they dont travel well again this year (I dont actually think they were that disappointing, just some flukey games that everyone will judge them on).

Also, word is that the Rose Bowl would prefer to stick with the Illini because they aren't technically tied contractually to the BCS but they are to the Big Ten and the Pac 10. And because Jim Delaney pulls so much water in the NCAA now a days, the Rose Bowl feels the pressure to pick a Big Ten team.

P-L
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, Wisconsin should've waited in my opinion. If Oklahoma beats Missouri, that probably sends Illinois to the Rose Bowl. Then in that situation, Penn State would make the Capital One Bowl (they already said they aren't taking Michigan, then again it could change because I'm sure they thought they'd get Illinois). Florida or LSU would absolutely murder Penn State or Michigan.

wiscbadgerfootball
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
agreed, poor decision

GB12
11-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, Wisconsin should've waited in my opinion. If Oklahoma beats Missouri, that probably sends Illinois to the Rose Bowl. Then in that situation, Penn State would make the Capital One Bowl (they already said they aren't taking Michigan, then again it could change because I'm sure they thought they'd get Illinois). Florida or LSU would absolutely murder Penn State or Michigan.
UW had been under consideration for the Capital One Bowl, set for Jan. 1 in Orlando. However, Florida Citrus Sports officials, who oversee the Capital One Bowl and Champs Sports Bowl, released UW from consideration Wednesday. They cited the fact UW had appeared in the Capital One Bowl in each of the last two seasons.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2007/11/28/bowl-destination-set-opponent-tbd.aspx

wiscbadgerfootball
11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
hmm.. hadn't seen that, that is kinda disappointing, but understandable I guess

keylime_5
11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I didn't get it either at first, but there must be some behind the scenes stuff going on regarding Orlando and who they want, or perhaps Illinois' chances at the BCS maybe. I kinda hope Illinois goes to the BCS, but would rather see them in Orlando than Michigan.

I think Wisconsin will absolutely roll over Tennessee or Auburn or whoever it is they play as usual.

MikeIsGood
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I think Wisconsin will absolutely roll over Tennessee or Auburn or whoever it is they play as usual.

Can't wait to be the underdogs against the SEC, as usual.

Two trips to the Capital One Bowl. Two times the underdogs to the SEC. Two times we came out on top. Not to mention against Auburn, it wasn't even suppose to be close. Auburn was supposed to trounce us. We decided it'd be more fun to trounce them instead. And then finish behind them in the year-end polls.

It should be fun. Hubbard, Hill, and Donovan should be at full health. Hopefully we have Beckum at full health, too. Smith will travel with us. Etc...

BadgerMike
11-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Athletic director Barry Alvaraz asked the Cap One to dismiss them from consideration since the Badgers have been there the last 2 years. The Cap One obliged. This in turn opened up the early invite from the Outback. Now the Wisconsin fans get a jump on traveling and lodging when you take into consideration the other Bowl games and Holiday travel in which will be taking place in Florida. There is a reason this guy is the AD at Wisconsin.

P-L
11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Athletic director Barry Alvaraz asked the Cap One to dismiss them from consideration since the Badgers have been there the last 2 years. The Cap One obliged. This in turn opened up the early invite from the Outback. Now the Wisconsin fans get a jump on traveling and lodging when you take into consideration the other Bowl games and Holiday travel in which will be taking place in Florida. There is a reason this guy is the AD at Wisconsin.

Why would you pass up a Bowl with a $4.25 million payout for a Bowl with a $3 million payout just because you've played in it two years in a row? It doesn't make sense. Also, isn't the bowl selection show this Sunday? Are those four extra days to make travel plans going to make a world of difference?

GB12
11-28-2007, 08:11 PM
To my understanding Wisconsin isn't going to the Capital One Bowl because the people who choose the teams didn't want Wisconsin to be there for the third consecutive year. It wasn't Wisconsin's decission. I think they're pretty happy with the Outback Bowl though. That's actually what I was hoping for anyway. I'd rather go there and play Tennessee or Auburn than play Florida or LSU in the Capital One Bowl.

BadgerMike
11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Why would you pass up a Bowl with a $4.25 million payout for a Bowl with a $3 million payout just because you've played in it two years in a row? It doesn't make sense. Also, isn't the bowl selection show this Sunday? Are those four extra days to make travel plans going to make a world of difference?

You would think so. But this is what is being discussed on several Wisconsin boards at this time.

TouchdownUSC
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
The rumor I heard was if USC goes to the Rose Bowl (assuming we beat UCLA) and Missouri loses to OU that USC will play Georgia in the Rose Bowl.

VoteLynnSwan
11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
The rumor I heard was if USC goes to the Rose Bowl (assuming we beat UCLA) and Missouri loses to OU that USC will play Georgia in the Rose Bowl.

Rose Bowl is Big 10 vs. Pac 10...

P-L
11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Rose Bowl is Big 10 vs. Pac 10...
If Ohio State goes to the National Championship Game, the Rose Bowl can pick any team.

iowatreat54
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
If Ohio State goes to the National Championship Game, the Rose Bowl can pick any team.

very true, but everyone knows that the Rose Bowl is the most traditional out of the bowls and usually does whatever it can to maintain the Big 10-Pac 10 matchup...I'm not saying it's 100% sure, but after this weekend there is a good chance that Illinois will be BCS eligible and I can almost guarantee that the Rose Bowl would jump at that opportunity

P-L
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, the Rose Bowl passed up Cal (#4) in 2004-05 to take Texas, so you never know.

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Good thing for Michigan...