PDA

View Full Version : BF51 Mock Version 6.0

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Thought I would mix things up a bit this time. All mock's are inherently speculative so mixing things up never hurt. I think some of mine have gotten a bit too predictable anyway. Here we go....

Miami Dolphins trade the 1st pick in the 2008 draft to the Atlanta Falcons for Deangelo Hall, the 38th, and the 45th pick in the 2008 draft
-Nobody is quite aware how much Hall is on the outs under the Petrino regime. He's an incredible talent (some say a bit overrated but I don't think so much so) and he's still only 23 years old. The two 2nd rounders the Falcons have are worth a mid 1st, so the value of Hall here would be a top 5 pick. Is that a bit much? Perhaps. But Hall is a proven commodity and there really isn't much of a value fit here for the Dolphins.

1) Atlanta Falcons (f/Mia)- Darren McFadden, Runningback, University of Arkansas
- I think it's clear at this point that if any team would trade up to the #1 spot it would be for McFadden. In the case of the Falcons he would give them the ultimate back to build around and take pressure off of whomever they select as their quarterback. The rebuilding project there is likely a few years in the making so drafting simply to fill specific holes might not be the wisest course of action.

2) New York Jets- Chris Long, Defensive End, Virginia
- I think New York would prefer to see McFadden on the board, but I don't see them willing to pony up, nor do I see the Dolphins willing to trade with them. The Jets could so secondary here, but they need more up front talent to effectively run their 3-4. Neither Dorsey nor Long are likely the best fits here, but Long seems to have the better motor and lower body strength to make it work. Not to mention that Long and the Jets have been tied together for a while now. It's worth watching how Clemens finishes the year, as I think QB isn't totally out of the question.

3) St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, Offensive Tackle, Michigan
- I think that most people would go Dorsey here, but the interior Rams defense has actually been relatively solid. My stronger consideration was for secondary help, but they really need to protect their quarterback. Having the exterior weapons on offense but not giving the the time and space to be effective makes no sense.

4) Oakland Raiders- Glenn Dorsey, Defensive Tackle, Louisiana State
- With the top 3 guys gone this is effectively a no-brainer. I doubt the Raiders would even take the 10 minutes on the clock to submit their card. Their D-line is weak overall, in need of a longterm replacement for Sapp, and both poor at stopping the run and penetrating the pocket. Dorsey can do both.

5) New England Patriots (f/SF)- Malcolm Jenkins, Cornerback, Ohio State
- This is a pick I always have difficulty with. If the pick is top 3 and McFadden is available I think it's a no brainer. That said, it's not, as I see the Niners squeaking out another unexpected win or two. Drafting Jenkins would allow the Pats to move Meriweather back to safety and absorb the potential loss of Asante Samuel.

6) Atlanta Falcons- Brian Brohm, Quarterback, Louisville
- They have their franchise runningback, now the franchise quarterback. I think Brohm's stock is rising a bit, mostly due to no doing of his own but rather a reaction against what many consider an unnecessary depretiation. The Petrino connection is a bit overstated, but not entirely so.

7) Baltimore Ravens- Matt Ryan, Quarterback, Boston College
- Sorry Kyle Boller, you aren't a starting NFL quarterback. Ryan's stock seems the highest among the big 3. The fact that the Ravens will likely look to start their drafted QB early (with likely a new coaching staff).

8) Carolina Panthers- Andre Woodson, Quarterback, Kentucky
- The status of Delhomme is likely dependent upon whoever is the coach next year. Phillips could be the pick here, and was considered, but I think Panthers need to turn the page on a lot of things on their roster, and the starts with the franchise caller, no a more luxury pick.

9) Kansas City- Ryan Clady, Offensive Tackle, Boise State
- This is a bit of a no-brainer considering the other options. If it were me personally I would consider quarterback as I don't think Croyle is anything special, be that as it may they are going to need to protect them with a solid left tackle.

10) Buffalo Bills- Sedrick Ellis, Defensive Tackle, Southern California
- The Bills have a bounty of young defensive tackles, but none that have really stood out, and only one of any real considerable talent. In order to effectively run the tampa 2 a team needs a penetrating UT and that's what Ellis gives the Bills here.

11) Cincinnati Bengals- James Laurinaitis, Linebacker, Ohio State
- Part of the continuing problems with the Bengals defense seems to be a lack of identity and leadership. They continue to pump talent into their defense with minimal overall results. The Animal would come from right down the road (people don't seem to recognize what a Buckeye town Cincinnati is) and will give them the hard-nosed leadership they're in need of up the middle.

12) Arizona Cardinals- Vernon Gholston, Outside Linebacker, Ohio State
- Another defensive Buckeye off the board. A hybrid 3-4 players seems like a common sense pick for the Cardinals at this point in the draft, and Gholston is the most suited player to fill that role.

13) Houston Texans- Kenny Phillips, Safety, Miami
- I think Miami would consider trading down here, and the mid-1st is a traditional spot to trade down. That said, the value of the safties after Phillips drops off significantly and is a rather serious area of need for the Texans.

Chicago Bears trade the 14th pick in the 2008 NFL draftto the Washington Redskins for the 16th, 112th, and 144th pick in the 2008 NFL draft
- Jerry Angelo is constantly trying to trade back, even if only slightly to pick up mid-round picks. He finds a common trade partner here in the Redskins

14) Washington Redskins (f/Chi)- Calais Campbell, Defensive End, Miami
- Calais seems exactly like the type of player the Redskins like, and the ammo to move ahead of the Broncos is very slight, particularly to them. A callous and sad as it is, the loss of Sean Taylor will be felt on the football field as well. It will be interesting to see if the team moves Landry to FS or keep him in the box. Regardless, the Redskins will need more talent up front to put pressure on the quarterback.

Denver Broncos trade the 15th pick in the 2008 NFL draft to the Miami Dolphins for the 33rd pick and the 45the pick in the 2008 NFL draft
- Another mid-1st trade. The Broncos are a team with a decent core to build around, but many holes to fill. Thus, a logical need to trade back. The Dolphins, now with a bevy of picks, have the opportunity to trade up and draft another defensive playmaker.

15) Miami Dolphins (f/Den)- Ray Maualuga, Linebacker, Southern California
- The # of 3-4 ILB's is pretty limited in this draft. Maualuga has apparently said he will return next year, which means nothing at this point. I think he does bolt, and I think he goes relatively high consider the demand for people with his talents and size.

16) Chicago Bears (f/Was)- Jeff Otah, Offensive Tackle, Pittsburgh
- I agree with Toonster that Angelo would likely be happy if the Bears are picking when the top 3 QB's are gone. It allows him to address a less risky position without feeling the heat on passing on a quarterback yet again. Otah seems like a solid and predictable Jerry pick here.

17) New Orleans Saints- Dan Conner, Linebacker, Penn State
- Saints need defense. Conner can play inside and outside in a 4-3. He hits people hard. Hooray.

The Detroit Lions trade the 18th and the 114th pick in the 2008 NFL draft to the Minnesota Vikings for the 21st pick and the 85th pick in the 2008 NFL draft
18) Minnesota Vikings (f/Det)- Desean Jackson, Wide Receiver, California
- Assuming the Vikings stick with Tavaris Jackson, and who knows at this point, some more receiving options would help. It would also help free up lanes for Adrian Peterson, not that he needs it. And yes, I currently have the Vikings in the playoffs. What a world.

19) Philadelphia Eagles- Sam Baker, Offensive Tackle, Southern California
- Sam Baker and Winston Justice, back together again. If Jackson was here Philly bites, but barring that I think Baker is a good secondary option.

20) Tennessee Titans- Malcolm Kelley, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma
- There's a lot I don't know, but I do know that when Justin Gage is your best wide receiver you've got a problem.

21) Detroit Lions (f/Min)- Aqib Talib, Cornerback, Kansas
- Anyone want to guess who Detroit's #1 cornerback is? If you guess Fernando Bryant you would be correct. An offensive tackle would be a wise move to shore up that porous line, but cornerback is far too demanding of a need here.

22) New York Giants- Reggie Smith, Defensive Back, Oklahoma
- I'm not a huge Smith fan, but the flexibility he would give the Giants secondary can't be denied, which is important considering their varying needs.

23) San Diego Chargers- Dre Moore, Defensive End, Maryland
- I've been, like Toonster, on the Dre Moore bandwagon for a while now. Be it 3-4 or 4-3 the guy is an athletic freak with the production to back it up. Why he is so low in Scott's rankings I have no explination for.

24) Dallas Cowboys (f/Cle)- Jonathan Stewart, Runningback, Oregon
- That the Browns could eventually pick lower than the pick Dallas traded to them in 2007 is a bit of a slap in the face. That said, a player like Stewart, who could go much earlier, will help ease the pain a bit and would be a nice power compliment to the Barbarian.

25) Tampa Bay Bucs- Early Doucett III, Wide Receiver, Louisiana State
- The stock on Doucett varies on who you talk to, but I personally think there will be a team that falls in love with his upside. Jon Gruden seems as likely as anyone, and Doucett shares many similarities to a young Joey Galloway (in a good way, not in a everyone thought I was a bust way)

26) Seattle Seahaws- Rashard Mendenhall, Runningback, Illinois
- Congrats on the contract SA. Now you'll have even more time to practice your dance moves with Joey Fatone.

27) Jacksonville Jaguars- Derrick Harvey, Defensive End, Florida
- Ok these are getting a bit too predictable, but what are you gonna do, it makes far too much sense.

28) Pittsburgh Steelers- Michael Oher, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi
- Oher seems like a likely Steelers pick if Otah is gone. Some teams may prefer Chris Williams but I don't believe the Steelers are one of them as Williams plays a bit soft and the Steelers are going to be looking for someone to either play in the interior or on the right side.

29) San Francisco 49'ers (f/Ind)- James Hardy, Wide Receiver, Indiana
- Hardy has been essentially a one man offense the last two years, this time pulling Indiana to a bowl game for the first time since the Herbert Hoover administration. Alex Smith could really use a big reliable target on the wing like that.

30) Green Bay Packers- Jack Ikegwuonu, Cornerback, Wisconsin
- I'm still that that convinced that Ryan Grant is the answer. It's pretty easy to find lanes when you only run ever 7-8 plays. Things should change when A-Rod (or whoever) is the quarterback That said, it looks like Favre will be back next year, so there's time to solve that later.

31) Dallas Cowboys- Antoine Cason, Cornerback, Arizona
- After adding an offense they turn to defense. Cason can start as the #2 right away or play the nickel.

33) Denver Broncos (f/Mia)- Keith Rivers, Linebacker, Southern California
34) New York Jets- Quentin Groves, Outside Linebacker, Auburn
35) St. Louis Rams- Pat Sims, Defensive Tackle, Auburn
36) Oakland Raiders- Chris Williams, Offensive Tackle, Vanderbilt
37) San Fran Niners- Frank Okam, Nose Tackle, Texas
38) Miami Dolphins (f/Atl)- Gosder Cherlius, Offensive Tackle, Boston College
39) Baltimore Ravens- Mike Jenkins, Cornerback, South Florida
40) Carolina Panthers- Lawrence Jackson, Defensive End, Southern California
41) Kansas City Cheifs- Terrell Thomas, Cornerback, Southern California
42) Buffalo Bills- Adarius Bowman, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma State
43) Cincinnati Bengals- Titus Brown, Defensive End, Mississippi State
44) Arizona Cardinals- Tracey Porter, Cornerback, Indiana
45) Denver Broncos (f/Mia, f/Atl)- Steve Slaton, Runningback, West Virginia
46) Chicago Bears- Felix Jones, Runningback, Akransas
47) Denver Broncos- Demarrio Presseley, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina State
48) Washington Redskins- D.J Hall, Wide Receiver, Alabama
49) New Orleans Saints- Charles Godfrey, Cornerback, Iowa
50) Detroit Lions- Barry Richardson, Offensive Tackle, Clemson
51) Philadelphia Eagles- Xavier Adibi, Outside Linebacker, Virginia Tech
52) Tennessee Titans- Fred Davis, Tight End, Southern California
53) Minnesota Vikings- Tony Hills, Offensive Tackle, Texas
54) New York Giants- Erin Henderson, Linebacker, Maryland
55) Miami Dolphins (f/SD)- Red Bryant, Nose Tackle, Texas A&M
56) Cleveland Browns- Ray Rice, Runningback, Rutgers
57) Tampa Bay Bucs- Dejuan Tribble, Cornerback, Boston College
58) Seattle Seahawks- Kentwan Balmer, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina
59) Jacksonville Jaguars- Earl Bennett, Wide Receiver, Vanderbilt
60) Pittsburgh Steelers- Shawn Crable, Outside Linebacker, Michigan
61) Indianapolis Colts- Phillip Wheeler, Linebacker, Georgia Tech
62) Green Bay Packers- Kevin Smith, Runningback, Central Florida
63) Dallas Cowboys- Limas Sweed, Wide Receiver, Texas
64) New England Patriots- Beau Bell, Linebacker, UNLV

slightlyaraiderfan
11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
I like AHH NAH's mock better, it had pretty pictures.

VoteLynnSwan
11-29-2007, 12:56 AM
well Otah and Felix Jones would certainly be interesting for the Bears... what would the Bears be doing about Quarterback in this scenario then? 3rd round? Free Agent?

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 12:58 AM
I like AHH NAH's mock better, it had pretty pictures.
Pretty pictures are for the weak of mind.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
well Otah and Felix Jones would certainly be interesting for the Bears... what would the Bears be doing about Quarterback in this scenario then? 3rd round? Free Agent?
http://www.ihasawebsite.com/Shirt/sexy%20rexy%20front.jpg

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Turtlepower
11-29-2007, 01:09 AM
I always like the Giants picks in your mocks. Great job. =D

j05son
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM

Derek Anderson is an RFA and it's not like the Bears need much to be a STRONG contender...

Then again, it's been rumored Cleveland will tag DA so they can get 2 firsts if anyone "steals" him...[/no written source]

Geo
11-29-2007, 02:02 AM
I would weep if the Colts passed on Kevin Smith.

skiinginNJ
11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
thats a beautiful giants mock, stunning even

WMD
11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
I don't really think the Lions would trade with the Vikings.. But I love both of our picks.. I especially love Barry Richardson in Round 2.

D-Rod
11-29-2007, 03:57 AM
The financial implications for the Falcons of having the first and sixth overall picks would be mammoth. If we were going to trade Hall, it would probably be for a range of picks, rather than one very high pick.

thule
11-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Does Cason really have the size that Wade covets on his defenses....I just don't see it. I think Jenkins, Godfrey, and Thomas all have better chances of being a cowboys...that said with a good 40 time Cason could definately garner first round drafting...I just don't like the fit. I think interior OL is a thought here...find it funny that you don't have one interior OL in your top 2 rounds...now while this is a relatively weak top OG class....and losing Young to a injury dropped him a bit...I still find it a bit far fetched that someone won't put themselves in the top 20-40 range by the time the offseason is done. A guy like Duke Robinson if he declared might be a smart move here...otherwise maybe take a stab at your guy who you have a feeling about. I still think Young makes a lot of sense....but just can't see him garnering a first round selection with his injury.

Sveen
11-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Very solid mock. Great job!

NIN1984
11-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Nice read and great Raiders pick. Rather have Tony Hills over Williams in the 2nd tho.

Bills2083
11-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Thats a good first day for Buffalo.

But if we go DT in the first, we HAVE to get CB and LB in round 3

Finsfan79
11-29-2007, 07:55 AM
it is different and interesting but I think it would have to be the number 5 pick + Hall + a 2nd.

the value you are giving hall I think is a bit way too much. He might be worth a late 1st rounder but I cant him being valued as a top 5 pick to any team specially our own as he will be getting paid. Surtain was a top elite CB when we traded him as well he got us a middle 2nd. I would say his value is closer to a middle 1st.

That said it is different and entertaining to think of :)

Pit Bull #53
11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Justin Gage being our best WR is something that has taken a while to sink in for me as well. But, amazingly, he's been pretty damn good. The other guys? Not so much.

I love the Kelly and Davis picks, though. There is no question in my mind that we need to upgrade our offensive skill positions. The only question I have is will Fish feel the same way?

21ST
11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
The redskins dont draft DL on day one, give us a WR or CB

draftguru151
11-29-2007, 08:57 AM
The Hall trade is something that I've been thinking about and definitely like the idea of it, but the value of that trade is terrible. I understand Hall is an amazing player and very young, but valuing a disgruntled player who is on the outs with his coach as more than the 3rd overall pick seems a bit ridiculous to me. Hall+5 has him worth the 8th overall, Hall+6+45 has him around the 16th. That seems much more realistic than what you have now.

A Perfect Score
11-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I <3 BF 51 4ever for giving us matt ryan instead of stupid andre woodson who I hate and also giving me my favourite corner who excels in man coverage in the 2nd. Finally someone listened to me about the damn QB situation...woodson needs to much work, and Ryan is a baller. As more Mike Jenkins, he is just amazing. No explanation needed. <3 for BF51

Jakey
11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
I like it for the Steelers...but like you said, i would prefer Chris Williams :cool:

Geo
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
The Hall trade is something that I've been thinking about and definitely like the idea of it, but the value of that trade is terrible. I understand Hall is an amazing player and very young, but valuing a disgruntled player who is on the outs with his coach as more than the 3rd overall pick seems a bit ridiculous to me. Hall+5 has him worth the 8th overall, Hall+6+45 has him around the 16th. That seems much more realistic than what you have now.
I agree with you that the Falcons are giving up too much, but something to also consider is that Hall is reportedly signed through 2008 on his current contract and by all accounts is set on reaching the open market after seeing what Nate Clements received. Unless maybe a team approaches him with an extension of similar value, I suppose (?).

TitleTown088
11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
You're still that that convinced? What the hell does that mean? Anyways, I'm starting to think Grant is the answer... LB, TE or OT in round 2.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 10:34 AM
The financial implications for the Falcons of having the first and sixth overall picks would be mammoth. If we were going to trade Hall, it would probably be for a range of picks, rather than one very high pick.

This is a very good point, and I did consider this. However, I believe I've read somewhere that in situations such as this (since none has occured since the pre-salary cap days) that the salary amount of the player traded can be taken into account to increase the size of the rookie pool. Or maybe I'm full of ****, I can't remember.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 10:36 AM

The value of a top 5 pick in this draft, at this point, is significantly lower than what it usually would be.

In fact, on that note, I think the trading value chart needs to re-done. Rarely, if ever, are top 5 picks worth as much as that chart implies that they are, especially with the signing bonus money involved.

Essentially the trade would be Deangelo Hall and Maualuga for McFadden (who I would have taken otherwise)

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Does Cason really have the size that Wade covets on his defenses....I just don't see it. I think Jenkins, Godfrey, and Thomas all have better chances of being a cowboys...that said with a good 40 time Cason could definately garner first round drafting...I just don't like the fit. I think interior OL is a thought here...find it funny that you don't have one interior OL in your top 2 rounds...now while this is a relatively weak top OG class....and losing Young to a injury dropped him a bit...I still find it a bit far fetched that someone won't put themselves in the top 20-40 range by the time the offseason is done. A guy like Duke Robinson if he declared might be a smart move here...otherwise maybe take a stab at your guy who you have a feeling about. I still think Young makes a lot of sense....but just can't see him garnering a first round selection with his injury.
Your assumption that Eric Young can play interior OL but guys like Oher, Baker, Hills, or others can't is why. With the # of valuable tackles that can play inside as well I see no reason why teams would draft someone who is limited to just guard (unless they had a role specific need of course).

Geo
11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
The value of a top 5 pick in this draft, at this point, is significantly lower than what it usually would be.

In fact, on that note, I think the trading value chart needs to re-done. Rarely, if ever, are top 5 picks worth as much as that chart implies that they are, especially with the signing bonus money involved.

Essentially the trade would be Deangelo Hall and Maualuga for McFadden (who I would have taken otherwise)
Definitely, more people need to realize that the draft value chart created by Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys regime in the early 90s is currently outdated (especially in taking into account the costs of Top 16 rookie contracts). Forget the bloody chart and get value as you deem it acceptable to make your team better, whether that's trading up or down.

RaiderNation
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
id like lawrence jackson in 2nd round but overall still good picks for oakland

Vikes99ej
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Nice, nice Vikings picks.

princefielder28
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
You say the Packers don't need an RB and then you give them one in round 2.....maybe go with a young tackle, TE or LB in round 2

skinzzfan25
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Calais and DJ Hall...

Wow, I'd love that. I always liked Hall and Calais is just a freakin mound of potential.

Crow
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Felix Jones for Oakland in Rd2 would have made this draft just plain nutty.

scottyboy
11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Love the Giants 1st pick, but i'm not a fan of Henderson, but good position

Gridiron
11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I would kill for those Jets picks. Great job.

Diehard
11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
33) Denver Broncos (f/Mia)- Keith Rivers, Linebacker, Southern California
45) Denver Broncos (f/Mia, f/Atl)- Steve Slaton, Runningback, West Virginia
47) Denver Broncos- Demarrio Presseley, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The positions look solid (LB, RB, DT), but I'm not at all sold on Keith Rivers coming to Denver. What spot would he play? Not the weakside - the whole Ian Gold / DJ Williams mess isn't likely to be compounded by bringing in *another* natural WLB.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Great Raven mock and I love the 2nd round pick. But as of now Id rather have Andre Woodson over Matt Ryan

thule
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Your assumption that Eric Young can play interior OL but guys like Oher, Baker, Hills, or others can't is why. With the # of valuable tackles that can play inside as well I see no reason why teams would draft someone who is limited to just guard (unless they had a role specific need of course).

I just think Young projects better to the inside than the outside. Oher, Baker, Hillis have the better feet and above average lateral movement...I just don't think Young has the NFL feet to play on the outside. Now I'm not saying guys like Chellius or Hillis can't play inside...just that Young projects there imo, and the other guys have future potential on the outside.

Anything to say about going Cason over a more physical corner?

NYGibril28
11-29-2007, 05:11 PM
always a good read man, i enjoy your mocks because you take chances.

Good Giants draft too, I've seen Henderson in Round 1 in some mocks, including my own, so to get him in the 2nd with Smith in the 1st, that's a great draft.

Draft King
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
To be honest, I would love this. This would revitalize the offense 100%. There would be a great dual-threat backfield with Jerious Norwood/Run DMc, and a competent QB that understands the system Brian Brohm. (finally somebody to get the ball to Roddy White consistently) I would though, be worried with Chris Houston playing full time without the help of DeAngelo Hall, we would either have to draft a corner in later rounds, or sign a guy like Drayton Florence. As stated earlier though, could be a cap crisis, and would be real sad to see my 2 favorite players leave in the span of two years. (Michael Vick/DeAngelo Hall)

thebow305
11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I like the Miami trades a lot. Getting a proven shut-down cornerback in Hall, then adding Maualuga, Cherilus, and Red Bryant would be an excellent way to round out our first day. The value is a little iffy, but i dont give a **** because this is a terrible year to have that top pick anyway and I will take what I can get.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Felix Jones for Oakland in Rd2 would have made this draft just plain nutty.
Agreed, but I personally don't see much logic in drafting a runningback if you can't block for him. And I am a bigger fan of Fargas than most.

superfly69
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
No way that trade would happen for the #1 pick. Interesting thinking but no way.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2007, 12:56 AM
The positions look solid (LB, RB, DT), but I'm not at all sold on Keith Rivers coming to Denver. What spot would he play? Not the weakside - the whole Ian Gold / DJ Williams mess isn't likely to be compounded by bringing in *another* natural WLB.
Rivers could play SLB for the time being untill he would take over for Gold. Gold can also play SLB for the record.

I agree that there really is no true MLB in Denver though.

Diehard
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Rivers could play SLB for the time being untill he would take over for Gold. Gold can also play SLB for the record.

The problem is DJ is already suited to "take over for Gold". In fact, Gold's return a few years back knocked DJ out of his natural weakside spot. Why wouldn't we draft a LB who fills the obvious need at either MLB or SLB?

IMO, neither Rivers or Gold would be great strongside guys... unless you like seeing your LB being dominated at the point of attack. Both are undersized, athletic, speed backers. Gold's game is pursuit... his worst lowlights occur when attacking a play head on.

Anyway, sorry to gripe about this... I'm just seeing a lot of Rivers to Denver in these mocks and the fit isn't great even if the value is there.

diabsoule
11-30-2007, 12:48 PM
In the second round I would rather have Erin Henderson for the Saints.

I would also rather Pittsburgh take Eric Young OG from Tennessee than Crable. I really like Crable but they drafted LaMar Woodley last year to do the same thing Crable can.

k0ng
11-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I definitely would be happy with those Bears picks in the first 2 rounds. Our only other glaring need would be a SS. What safety would you have us taking? After that OG, WR, and DT are the other positions I would hope JA drafts. Not so much WR, since he sucks at.

Yung Flippa
11-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Good 2nd Round pick for the Ravens, but I'd take Woodson over Ryan, but I won't complain if we get Ryan

Smokey Joe
12-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I really like that Falcons-Dolphins trade scenario... I might use that in my mock, if you don't mind

Hines
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I like the first day for the Steelers. Good picks, A-

Komp
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Great Oakland draft! I might be in the minority but I think Glenn Dorsey is Oakland's best option available in this draft. DT has been a weak point on our team for a loooong time and you need to be able to stop the run against KC/SD/Denver.

A lot of people have Oakland taking Chris Long, but I think that could turn out quite badly. I think he is a great prospect, but having to live up to your father's HOF legacy at the same franchise is a lot of pressure. It would be much easier for him to succeed somewhere else.

[Insert the "it would be easier for anyone to succeed somewhere other than Oakland" punchline here].

BaLLiN
12-02-2007, 12:50 PM
1. Reggie Smith DB
2. Erin Henderson LB

beastly, just beastly

johbur
12-03-2007, 01:01 AM
First, great mock overall. I love seeing something like trades of major impact, as anyone can take a look at five mocks and do an aggregate of what people are doing.

12) Arizona Cardinals- Vernon Gholston, Outside Linebacker, Ohio State
- Another defensive Buckeye off the board. A hybrid 3-4 players seems like a common sense pick for the Cardinals at this point in the draft, and Gholston is the most suited player to fill that role.

30) Green Bay Packers- Jack Ikegwuonu, Cornerback, Wisconsin
- I'm still that that convinced that Ryan Grant is the answer. It's pretty easy to find lanes when you only run ever 7-8 plays. Things should change when A-Rod (or whoever) is the quarterback That said, it looks like Favre will be back next year, so there's time to solve that later.

44) Arizona Cardinals- Tracey Porter, Cornerback, Indiana

62) Green Bay Packers- Kevin Smith, Runningback, Central Florida

For Arizona, this would be a solid mock, though I'd still like more help on the O-line, but there's the later rounds for that.

For the Packers, it was pointed out by a UW booster that they've lost a grand total of 4 players to early entry over the last 15 years. Taking his word for it, Ikegwuonu is staying in school. Antoine Cason is an easy sub as he comes next on your mock, and I like him more since I've seen every one of his games. I think he'll go higher, but if his speed at the combine times poorly, the Packers would be lucky to have him fall. He'd be a great guy to train up to take over for Harris or Woodson in 2-3 years, and he wouldn't be such a liability as the parade of undrafted free agent nickel and dime CBs have been.
Ryan Grant is leading the league in rushing since week 8. Since week 10, he's leading in combined passing/receiving yardage also and has the same number of scores that Brian Westbrook has, with 4. Brandon Jackson (last year's second round RB) and Vernon Morency will get to duel it out in camp to back up Grant, unless something happens to Grant health wise. Conversely, there's one TE active on the roster that was there in training camp. Donald Lee has been doing well, but he could use some backup. If the two or three hurt guys come back, they're still hurt guys trying to come back. O-line is not settled, particularly at OG, and we have three UDFA's at SS on the depth chart, though the third is also the nickel CB. I wouldn't mind seeing a combo S/CB drafted in the second, either, like a Daniel Manning type.

pellepelle_10
12-03-2007, 01:28 AM
I can handle a draft like this. I think Jones could end up being one hell of a back in the NFL. Although he's in McFaddens shadow the guy has proven himself to be one legit back. Question is...can the guy be an every down back or are we expecting him to split carries with the RB that only plays well when he's under fire? (Cedric Benson) Question I have for you...where do you see Safety being addressed and we all know it will be a concern. (Archuleta now benched and Mike Brown never healthy)

BamaFalcon59
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Not a great Falcons trade. We just have too many needs for that. With the trade and picks we would still need LT, RT, CB, S, DT, KR, and possibly a MLB.