PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers

no love
11-30-2007, 01:39 AM
How good did this guy look tonight against the Cowboys. He has a live arm, can keep plays alive, showed some mobility. Great first game in a really tough situation. What really impressed me was the way that he was gunning balls into tight spots over the middle (and one really good one against the grain), I knew he had a good arm, but wow. I know it's just a portion of the game, but he definitely showed that he has the physical tools.

With the weapons the Packers have, their future looks pretty bright.

Meanwhile, in 49erland everyone (like myself) who was rooting for us to pick the hometown kid is thinking to themselves...

cordscords
11-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Didnt really look like McCarthy was holding him back. He looked sharp out there.

jackalope
11-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I was very impressed with what I saw from Rodgers. He came in in a tough situation against a good defense, and played very well. I have no worries about him as our future QB.

Favre4ever
11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
He played well against the Best team of the NFC, on the road, wasnt nervous one bit, i mean wow...nobody expected that. Hes basically everything Alex Smith was suppose to be by now.

Jim Jim
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
He looks good running this type of offense, definitely.

Empire
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
He played great, but I want to wait for him to make 2 or 3 consecutive starts before making a judgment on him. A backup QB can come into a game and play pretty well, because defenses had been preparing for the starting QB all week. By the time the second or third start comes around, defensive coordinators start keying in on the strengths and weaknesses of the other QB. So we'll see what happens with Rodgers, but I was surprised with his performance. He also really seemed to be the leader out there in the huddle. Definitely was not expecting that from him in his first start.

Favre4ever
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
He played great, but I want to wait for him to make 2 or 3 consecutive starts before making a judgment on him. A backup QB can come into a game and play pretty well, because defenses had been preparing for the starting QB all week. By the time the second or third start comes around, defensive coordinators start keying in on the strengths and weaknesses of the other QB. So we'll see what happens with Rodgers, but I was surprised with his performance. He also really seemed to be the leader out there in the huddle. Definitely was not expecting that from him in his first start.

Lets not forget, hes been the backup of #4 for 3 years, Aaron might have picked up a thing or 2 from him. He made some throws that made me go "wow did you see that?"

Big_Brother
11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
He did very well and im a lot more comfortable with our future QB situation now than I was before, even though I always thought he would do well when he got his shot.

It is a good point about the defenses preparing though, they were not ready at all for the difference in mobility. From the very first series Rodgers was in his mobility seemed to confused the cowboys. They still got in their hits but they weren't just teeing off on him like they were on Favre.

Either way, he did a great job against a tough D, very impressive.

Nitschke-Hawk
11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I love his accuracy and mobility.

Twiddler
11-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Lets not forget, hes been the backup of #4 for 3 years, Aaron might have picked up a thing or 2 from him. He made some throws that made me go "wow did you see that?"

I wouldn't go too much off of that. Considering very few QB's could learn off of Favre's style and also that Aaron is a very textbook QB at times just doesn't make for him learning great amounts of things from Favre, at least when talking about mechanics. He probably has learned a lot of little things about the position from Favre though.

The Legend
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Pretty Fast Young Buck

bearsfan_51
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
To the original poster of this thread, I obviously moved it. Probably should have left a trail.

Rodgers has nice hair. Very shiney. I bet he uses an expensive conditioner.

The Legend
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Rodgers has nice hair. Very shiney. I bet he uses an expensive conditioner.

yeah looks like Jim Mcmahon doesnt he :)

11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
a blessing in disguise i must say. if favre had retired after his first or second year in the league im not sure he would have been ready to step in there. he was a project-type player despite being a first round QB whos finally ready and if that chance wont be given in GB im sure another team will likely pay up to make him their QB of the future.

neko4
11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Meh, I hate to be a Favre homer, but if GB had started the game the same way with Favre we wouldve won or atleast been closer to winning

Hawk
11-30-2007, 11:46 PM
yeah looks like Jim Mcmahon doesnt he :)

He had the David Carr look going....

Empire
12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Meh, I hate to be a Favre homer, but if GB had started the game the same way with Favre we wouldve won or atleast been closer to winning

The team played much better with Rodgers under center than with Favre. McCarthy didn't go back to the old offense until after Favre got hurt. We could have likely been blown out by 20-30 points if Favre hadn't gotten hurt.

Hawk
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
The team played much better with Rodgers under center than with Favre. McCarthy didn't go back to the old offense until after Favre got hurt. We could have likely been blown out by 20-30 points if Favre hadn't gotten hurt.

It was a blessing in disguise. McCarthy tried to change up the offense with Favre and it was ineffective, so when Rodgers came in he had to go back to the regular offense.

Favre4ever
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
We all know that if Favre would have kept it simple, the game would have been closer even with all the defensive miscues. I remember one time it was 3rd and 4 and on the backside (short side of the field) the corner was playing Koren 10 freaking yards off, Koren read it and hitched it but Favre didnt look his way holding on to the ball looking for a big play with tons of pressure coming at him. In the exception of Martin, all of our WR can take it to the house on any play.

This game is a blessing in disguise for the team and Favre. He said that he didnt know the identity of this offense but now he knows. We are not the Colts or NE where our O-line can hold up forever to hit the long developping routes. We have playmakers, just give the rock to them Favre.

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I have to respect any QB who can fill in for Favre and not have the whole offense fall apart.

someone447
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I had been worried about Rodgers, but after his performance I am no longer worried. He is no favre, but he does have all the tools to be a legit NFL QB.

johbur
12-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I had been worried about Rodgers, but after his performance I am no longer worried. He is no favre, but he does have all the tools to be a legit NFL QB.

True, he's no Favre, though sometimes that can be a good thing in that maybe Aaron will operate the WCO without the turnovers. He likely won't have those 30 TD seasons like Favre has, but hopefully he'll be under 10 picks and fewer fumbles than Favre. I think a decent Aaron Rodgers season would be 22 TDs, 6 INTs, 2750 yards passing and 300 yards rushing with another 3 TDs rushing. With just the look of the ball and how he was connecting with his receivers, Rodgers reminds me more of a Steve Young than a Favre.

Favre4ever
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
True, he's no Favre, though sometimes that can be a good thing in that maybe Aaron will operate the WCO without the turnovers. He likely won't have those 30 TD seasons like Favre has, but hopefully he'll be under 10 picks and fewer fumbles than Favre. I think a decent Aaron Rodgers season would be 22 TDs, 6 INTs, 2750 yards passing and 300 yards rushing with another 3 TDs rushing. With just the look of the ball and how he was connecting with his receivers, Rodgers reminds me more of a Steve Young than a Favre.

Favre has been the reason why ive been watching the packers for the past 15 years with a passion. I was really afraid of a near future without him but im not anymore. The media filled our minds with negativity towards Rodgers and a lot was underserved. His arm really surprised me, didnt know he had it in him, he has pin point accuracy which allows him to squeeze some tight throws. Most importantly, he seemed to have this confidence that good players have. I really enjoyed watching him.

Football Fan
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Favre has been the reason why ive been watching the packers for the past 15 years with a passion. I was really afraid of a near future without him but im not anymore. The media filled our minds with negativity towards Rodgers and a lot was underserved. His arm really surprised me, didnt know he had it in him, he has pin point accuracy which allows him to squeeze some tight throws. Most importantly, he seemed to have this confidence that good players have. I really enjoyed watching him.Favre draws about 80% of the attention greenbay gets.

TitleTown088
12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think his future hall of fame status should be proposed just yet... But I do think that every fan of another NFC north team said " aww ****" to themsleves after that game. Most had to be hoping he would suck ass, and he looked pretty-day-gon good.

bigboiajhawk
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't think his future hall of fame status should be proposed just yet... But I do think that every fan of another NFC north team said " aww ****" to themsleves after that game. Most had to be hoping he would suck ass, and he looked pretty-day-gon good.

Agreed.

I really like his mobility, and his ability to check down. I would say his check downs are what really impress me. He didnt force things, which young quarterbacks, even Brett Favre have trouble with. The future of the franchise looks a lot brighter now.

someone447
12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Agreed.

I really like his mobility, and his ability to check down. I would say his check downs are what really impress me. He didnt force things, which young quarterbacks, even Brett Favre have trouble with. The future of the franchise looks a lot brighter now.

Favre doesn't have a problem checking down. His problem is that he thinks he can make any throw.

Moses
12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Favre doesn't have a problem checking down. His problem is that he thinks he can make any throw.

He's actually been pretty careful with the ball this year except for the Redskins game and the Dallas game. He takes his shots but generally the throw is there to be made. Only thing I worry about is when he plays like he did against Dallas. He locked onto the deep receivers and would just throw it up once the pressure came.

TitleTown088
12-06-2007, 08:56 AM
If checkdowns are what impress you the most, the packers have QB problems coming in the near future.

Favre4ever
12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Rodgers is not a checkdown QB, hes more a take what the defense gives you kind of QB.

princefielder28
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Rodgers is not a checkdown QB, hes more a take what the defense gives you kind of QB.

I agree with that. For example the play were he was forced out to the right and was able to buy enough time until DD got open. He doesn't have the deep ability Favre does but he manages the short and medium range routes very well.

johbur
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Aaron runs the WCO very well. That means throwig to who is open and having enough zip on an accurate ball to be able to hit that inside slant and curls when a CB is draped on the back of the receiver. Rodgers threw hard enough that I have no concerns about him in this offense.

Sportsfan486
12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Aaron runs the WCO very well. That means throwig to who is open and having enough zip on an accurate ball to be able to hit that inside slant and curls when a CB is draped on the back of the receiver. Rodgers threw hard enough that I have no concerns about him in this offense.

People forget that coming out Aaron had the strongest arm of that class, probably because he has that textbook motion and you don't typically associate that with gunslingers.

People questioned his athletic ability coming out, which has obviously been proven to be BS, and Tedford scared people. There really was no good reason, IMO, he didn't go number 1 overall and I think that's been proven accurate (yeah, he only played a good bit of one game.. but.. he did very well and you really don't have to play that well to be better than Alex Smith.)

But yeah, he's got a strong arm on him. Not Favre strong but he'll be top 10 to top 5 strongest when he's starting.

Favre4ever
12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
The zip on his ball just threw everybody off their chair. Nobody was expecting it.The funniest part was hearing Cris Collinsworth saying during Rodgers first drive: " The Green Bay packers wont win many ball games with Aaron Rodgers as a starting QB..." and then take it back at the end of the game.