PDA

View Full Version : A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view

toonsterwu
11-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Draftguru had evens, toonsterwu had odds. Order is reverse on the NFL.com standings right now (I think).

1. Miami Dolphins – DE Chris Long, Virginia

An increasing number of people seem to believe that Chris Long can maintain a high 270-280ish weight for the duration of a season. Why is that significant? Even though Chris is probably the one player that could truly excel without being “ideal”, he can’t be too far from ideal. That’s at the absolute borderline for what it would take to succeed in a 3-4, and with Long’s ability to leverage and attack, it could work. My other pick that I’ve been rotating in there is McFadden, but I decided to give it a new look, and also because I’m really not a big fan of taking a RB first overall, as good as the RB may be, along with the first sentence. As most may know by now, I still think Chris is best off in a 4-3.

Btw, here’s a comparable to try out – Phillip Daniels, when he entered the league. I know, for a first overall pick, most of you are like, what? But remember the young Phillip Daniels? The guy that was stout against the run but looked like he could get 8-10 sacks a year? Sounds a lot like Long. I always wondered if the Bears would’ve been better running a 3-4 when Jauron was here (Daniels/Robinson at end, and Traylor/Washington inside, with Urlacher/Colvin on the edges, and Holdman plus someone inside). Anyhow, still don’t see a trade.

2. St. Louis Rams – DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

I considered the OTs here, but I decided to go Dorsey in the end. I really would have preferred to go Chris Long here but since he was off the board I really didn't see another option. Ryan has done well this year, not sure what's going on with Wroten and Carriker though, maybe they consider moving Carriker back outside.

3. New York Jets – RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Really not much to say here. I think this high in the draft, only two players really make a ton of sense for the Jets. McFadden and Chris Long. Other options could be alright … but I think those are the top fits. Buys time for Clemens too, with Thomas Jones and Darren McFadden being a nice 1-2 punch, using Leon Washington in passing situations.

4. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers – CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

I considered Vernon here for a bit, but in the end I think Jenkins is the better player and gets the nod. Probably depends on if Samuel is brought back though.

5. Oakland Raiders – DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

Don’t like it. But I’m not sold on Ellis this high. Richardson and Clemons are nice, but certainly upgradeable. Other thoughts were Clady (I’m fine with the value), the U boys, along with Ellis. I guess Jackson could be a consideration, but ouch.

6. Atlanta Falcons – OT Jake Long, Michigan

I really don't like any of the QBs here so looking elsewhere Long seems like the best option. I still think he goes higher than Otah and I like the fit in Atlanta.

7. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

I’m wary of Otah. But that said, maybe my wariness isn’t fair, as it’s just that I’m wary on his size. The upside is enormous, but in saying that, he deserves credit for being damn good since being at Pittsburgh. He helped neutralize one of the better, if not the best, end tandems in the country in Chris Long and Jeff Fitzgerald. As a side note, in the mock that I’ve been stuck with forever, Otah goes number 2 overall. A lot of time left, though.

8. Cincinnati Bengals – DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

Struggled with this one for a bit but I went with Ellis in the end. The defense needs help, I think Ellis can be a big disruptor in the middle for the Bengals.

9. Carolina Panthers – QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

Jake Delhomme will buy time for Matt. Was tempted with Clady here, but Fox is likely gone, which could mean a lot of restructuring.

10. Baltimore Ravens – QB Andre’ Woodson, Kentucky

QB is a definite need, Boller/McNair let Woodson sit for a bit, but he'll likely get a shot in his rookie season at some point. Didn't really see another direction here.

11. Washington Redskins – DE Calais Campbell, the U

The considerations are: Desean Jackson, Aqib Talib, Derrick Harvey, Kenny Phillips, and Calais Campbell. Nod goes Calais here.

12. Philadelphia Eagles – S Kenny Phillips, the U

Considered Jackson and Clady here but Phillips is the best option here. Dawkins is getting up there and someone is needed next to him regardless. Value works as well.

13. New Orleans Saints – LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

OL fit isn’t here, and the pick should be defense anyways. DT value is off. What else? CB and LB come to the top. I’m tempted with Talib, but I think James would be the type of LB that Payton loves and could offer a presence they’ve been lacking. But it was close.

14. Minnesota Vikings – WR Desean Jackson, California

Thought about Clady here as the value was probably better but I think an impact WR is needed more than a RT.

15. Houston Texans – RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Tough, tough call. Largely because Clady has slipped, and I have him going in the top 10. But at the end of the day, while I think Clady has better value, I think they are more liable to address the RB position first. With no safety value, a defensive pick seems unlikely, unless they love a LB.

16. Denver Broncos – OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

Great situation for Denver, Clady is athletic enough to be a very good fit in the ZBS and the pass blocker that Cutler desperately needs. Great value as well.

17. Chicago Bears – OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

Unfortunately, the Bears miss out on Clady by 1. But Williams is a nice consolation prize. I know … why not Brohm? This actually has nothing to do with personal opinion of Brohm. Rather … I’ve been leaning against QB for awhile now. Simply put, unless this Bears team completely overhauls everything and resets a clock, a rookie QB isn’t likely to start now. A QB can be found in the 2nd. Williams could address a more immediate need and shift Tait to RT, which could really boost the OL now.

18. Buffalo Bills – WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Right around where he should be going and it definitely works for Buffalo as a compliment to Evans and Parrish.

19. Arizona Cardinals – CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

I think Talib is solid value here and I think they could use an upgrade at CB. Other defensive areas could be thoughts … but who? At LB, maybe Erin Henderson or Keith Rivers. But would the value of either one match up with the potential value of a CB? Maybe an edge guy like Harvey or Ellis? Doesn’t seem that pressing to go here. DL? Moore is the name that pops up for me … but somehow I don’t see that. OL value seems fringy here. A young runner feels like it can wait.

20. Tennessee Titans – LB Erin Henderson, Maryland

A bit of a hard pick here with the value at DE iffy. I considered Stewart, but I don't think they take another RB high, don't really like any of the WRs here, so decided to go in a different direction. I like Erin in the middle for Tenn, maybe a bit early for him but I can see him working his way here.

21. San Diego Chargers – RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

A whole new route for me. I vacillate on if Dre’ Moore can make the move up. OL was a long, long thought. But without 2nd/3rd picks, and with Tomlinson aging, and assuming Turner is around as a result of a playoff run, a big back to help with the load may be nice. RT’s can be found.

22. Detroit Lions – CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

Scheme fit, position of need and value is all there. Not a hard pick.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

I’ll be the first to admit that I think this is a slip. That said, I have him in my 4th tier, so I don’t think it’s a huge slip, outside of the fact that QB value gets inflated, so the dynamics are always odd. They might look at other options, but I think Brohm may be too tempting to pass up if he’s available, and they do need a QB of the future.

24. Seattle Seahawks – TE Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M

Another curve ball. Thought about RB but don't like the value here. Bennett is a guy that I can see a team falling in love with and taking him late in the first. Maybe a bit earlier than I would have liked but it's early.

25. New York Giants – LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

I have Brandon Flowers and a couple others thought for the longest time, but Rivers is a very good LB that could fill a need.

26. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns – DL Dre’ Moore

Looked for a QB or WR to go here but I really didn't like the value so Moore gets the nod, potential NT for Dallas, good value as well.

27. Pittsburgh Steelers – OL Philip Loadholt, Oklahoma

I spent a long time contemplating CB’s here. Just not sold that Tomlin would go that route this high. Is there a defensive fit/need combo here that makes sense outside of CB? Don’t see it. Thus, I go offense, and the OL. Could be the more polished Cherilus, or could be Oher as well. But I opt for Loadholt here if he comes out.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

I really didn't like this pick but I had to go somewhere. Jacksonville is usually a hard pick and this year really doesn't seem any different.

29. San Francisco 49ers f/ Indianapolis Colts – DL Kentwan Balmer

I’m still lukewarm on him, but he definitely could be a good fit in the 3-4, and quality 3-4 DL talents are often hard to find (although this draft seems to have some intriguing possibilities in Kendall Langford, Maurice Murray and a couple others).

30. Green Bay Packers – CB Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin

Pretty easy pick for me, GB needs another CB, Jack Ike fits the role well, value is there as well.

31. Dallas Cowboys – CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa

I’m not real sure I like the options available. Don’t love Flowers or Cason as fits here. I’m not a huge fan of Terrell Thomas. Doucet is a consideration, but I think defense is a bigger need if value exists. If Godrey is closer to 5'9", then I'd have to go a different route. I don't buy 6'1", but I was thinking he might be 5'11". I wouldn't buy Phillips taking a corner this high that was closer to 5'9".

32. New England Patriots - forfeited

princefielder28
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
wonderful green bay selection

Vikes99ej
11-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Good Vikings pick.

RaiderNation
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
jake long for oakland

SubNoize
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
jake long for oakland

why? he's a terrible fit for the ZBS and there's no way Oakland takes an offensive lineman that early in the draft, for Al Davis it would be an admission that he messed up with Gallery and Al is too stubborn to allow that to happen. In this scenario I think Al would go Sed Ellis, because he loves his USC lineman.

Chucky
11-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I would love Brohm for the Bucs. Gruden would be able to develop him into a star

skinzzfan25
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Good Redskin pick, don't really like the slot though :|

bearsfan_51
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Interesting choice of Aladdin. Perhaps Robin Williams to the Patriots at pick #32?

Bills2083
11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Good Bills pick

Jakey
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Good Steelers pick...i likey!

diabsoule
11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd love to see Little Animal in the Black and Gold.

Toon - what are your thoughts on Jonathan Goff? I know he has awesome numbers but that's about it.

TitanHope
11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Erin Henderson is a new pick for the Titans. Does he play MLB? I thought for some reason he was an OLB...

Crazy_Chris
11-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I like the Vikings pick.

Yung Flippa
11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Good Ravens pick

D-Unit
11-30-2007, 06:42 PM
* ....now I'm in a whole new world... with you.... *

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3661/aladdin3sb8.jpg

Give Dallas Loadholt... Flozell is a FA. Doug Free...too risky to rely on.

Godfrey, love the guy, but I like him in Round 2 or 3.

11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
i dont like gholston much as a 4-3 DE so i dont think the raiders will even consider him however ryan clady there sounds more intriguing and would work with our below average line. just not jake long please.

D-Unit
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
i dont like gholston much as a 4-3 DE so i dont think the raiders will even consider him however ryan clady there sounds more intriguing and would work with our below average line. just not jake long please.
Do people realize how raw Clady is??? He was beaten against inferior DL talent at Hawaii.

NIN1984
11-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I believe Gholston could be a very good 43 DE and I love the pick, thank you.

11-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Do people realize how raw Clady is??? He was beaten against inferior DL talent at Hawaii.

i understand hes raw but hes got huge, off-the-chart potential as your franchise left tackle..okay maybe im exaggerating but i really love athletic lineman and theres no one better than him in this draft

D-Unit
11-30-2007, 07:41 PM
i understand hes raw but hes got huge, off-the-chart potential as your franchise left tackle..okay maybe im exaggerating but i really love athletic lineman and theres no one better than him in this draft
No one better? Of course there is. Clady is slow. Have you seen him play? I used to like Clady, but the more I saw of him, the more I kept thinking... man... I'm overrating him. I know the board likes him, but I'm not a fan.

I think he's the next Kwame Harris. Seriously.

Billingsley26
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Im not sure I would say that. There were I think 2 times where Clady was making you say the ol (WTF) but when they showed the replay I think it was more of a communication than him getting beat. I do not remember Clady getting beat 1 on 1 with that bad of a DL from Hawaii. Im talking bullied on the line, and I dont think it happened.

TACKLE
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
All in all I like the mock. I know that you are high on Jeff Otah and rightly so. I think he could be a good fit in Oakland because right now they have Barry Sims at LT and could really use a guy like Otah. I think he can contribute right away because of his versatlity. He can play both LT and RT. Gholston's is good for Oakland but I think Otah addresses a bigger need and he can be the blind-side protector for their new franchise QB, Jamarcus Russell.

11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
All in all I like the mock. I know that you are high on Jeff Otah and rightly so. I think he could be a good fit in Oakland because right now they have Barry Sims at LT and could really use a guy like Otah. I think he can contribute right away because of his versatlity. He can play both LT and RT. Gholston's is good for Oakland but I think Otah addresses a bigger need and he can be the blind-side protector for their new franchise QB, Jamarcus Russell.

so can ryan clady...

BaLLiN
12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
good gmen pick

T-RICH49
12-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I prefer Loadholt or Clady over Otah

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I prefer Loadholt or Clady over Otah

I think there's a chance you could nab Loadholt in the 2nd round.

Personally, I like Clady better than Otah as well.

draftguru151
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Added some comments for my picks.

Diehard
12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
16. Denver Broncos OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

Great situation for Denver, Clady is athletic enough to be a very good fit in the ZBS and the pass blocker that Cutler desperately needs. Great value as well.

Solid pick and dead on with the comments. Lepsis looks terrible these days - something must be done to improve the OL...

... and the defense and special teams. Shanny better get his ******* **** together.