View Full Version : OLB (3-4) or CB?

derza222
11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Which position is stronger:
at the top of the draft?
in the middle of the first round?
in the late first-early second range?
in the mid second-early third range?

Also, who would grade out as the better player, Malcolm Jenkins or Vernon Gholston? How do their ceilings and floors compare? Thanks.

Man_Of_Steel
11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Imo Jenkins is the better prospect than Gholston. No dont get me wrong Im pretty high on both of them but a sticky man to man corner like Jenkins is alot harder to find in drafts than the always present pass rusher.

PACKmanN
11-30-2007, 04:01 PM
A CB of Jenkins upside/talent is worth more then a OLB like Gholston.

derza222
11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out who I prefer out of the two for my Jets in the case that Chris Long, Jake Long, and McFadden are off the board when we pick. We really need help on defense and the offensive line, but RG and RT aren't good values that high. Thus the pick goes to defense, and with poor 3-4 DL talent at the top of the draft I think it would come down to another corner who would pair with Revis or a hybrid OLB. It seemed evident to me Jenkins was the better player (though I wanted opinions which is why I asked the question) so we're going to have to value the talent of the player, the potential value later on at the positions, and the impact of adding a starting corner to a team with a future #1 vs. an OLB. Interesting dilemma because we could find a decent #2 corner later, but considering how many needs we have I think I'd rather go better talent over bigger need. The fact that we already have Revis is a factor. If Gholston was better it'd be easy, but since Jenkins presents better value it would be a tough pick between the two if we couldn't deal down.

genom
11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Why would we waste a top 5 pick on a #2 Cornerback. Darrelle Revis looks great. Gholston is the pick in my opinion.

foozball
11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
id have to say gholston would be a better pick in this draft. why? because DE/OLB is usually not a deep position and this year's CB crop is pretty deep. that doesnt mean gholston is the better player, but you could fill holes easier if you were to pick gholston and then get a very good CB in the 2nd round. also, you can use gholston in a variety of defensive schemes in a 3-4 or 4-3. some teams will covet that whereas you cant really do the same thing with a CB as far as scheming goes.

derza222
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Why would we waste a top 5 pick on a #2 Cornerback. Darrelle Revis looks great. Gholston is the pick in my opinion.

Because outside of Revis we have no good corners. If Jenkins is the better player and depth at OLB is better, it makes more sense to take him IMO. Not like Gholston will come in and be a savior anyways, our defense needs help at lots of positions so why not just take the best player that fits a need? I understand OLB is more of a need but IF Jenkins is the better player and OLB depth is the same as or better than CB depth the only reason I see not to take Jenkins is money. When our defense is this bad and has so many needs I'd have a problem not taking the best defensive player available that fits the scheme.

draftguru151
11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
For the Jets I'd probably lean slightly towards Gholston right now. Jenkins is the better prospect, but Gholston would help much more, mainly because of Revis. Malcolm/Groves(Crable?) does sound a bit better than Gholston/Godfrey(Porter?) but I think Gholston makes a lot more sense by himself in the first.

As for the other breakdowns:
at the top of the draft? CB (Jenkins>Gholston)
in the middle of the first round? Depends on the underclassmen that come out, but I'd lean CB because I don't see a tweener going here, Mike Jenkins or maybe one of the underclassmen can/should go around here though.
in the late first-early second range? OLB, Crable, Groves and maybe Chris Ellis fit around here, not really in love with the CBs around here (Cason/Porter/Godfrey) and the rushbackers seem a lot better there.
in the mid second-early third range? A bit harder to project guys here at this point, but I'd say it looks like CB, McKelvin, DRC, Jackson, Thomas, Lee and a few other guys should get looks here, OLB has some interesting guys here with Davis, Blake, maybe some guys like Avril or Brown, but I'd still lean CB there.

genom
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Hank Poteat is underrated and really hasn't played bad at all this year. Justin Miller started to play ok at CB towards the end of last year, and Mangini praised him early in the year before being hurt and put on IR. Our pass rush has been abysmal and thus our corners have been having to cover for far too long. OLB is a huge need, and outside of 3-4 NT, LG, and RT, the OLB position is the most important. As you stated, there won't be any LG, NT, or RT worthy of the top 5 pick. We'll just have to wait and see how Gholston runs and performs at the combine.

no love
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
If you are in position like the Jets, I don't think you can go wrong either way. In both cases you are trying to build your defense, both pieces are hard to obtain for a 3-4.

I guess it's preference... great pass rush to cover up a suspect secondary vs. a great cover secondary to cover up a weak pass rush.

I would personally go for Vernon because he can develop into a cover run-stopper, coverage lb and pass rusher. His versatility makes him valuable.

But good corners get paid more so when it comes to resigning so whatever.

Babylon
11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Just draft a QB and get it over with. As for OLB vs CB i would put a final grade on all the players then when picking if you have two guys with the same grade go for need. I wouldnt draft a player with a significantly lower grade because it was a position we need help at.