Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.

Derrick Harvey*, Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

Quentin Groves, Auburn
Height: 6-4. Weight: 254

These Players May End Up As 3-4 LB

bigboiajhawk
11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I dont think vernon gholston will be a 3-4 linebacker, he is strong enough to play with his hand down all the time.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2007, 05:11 PM
I think if there is a player I'm going to be homerific about, it is Gholston (last year it was Gonzalez). He just seems like such a versatile player who can fit so many systems. He will be a good player.

Babylon
11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.

Derrick Harvey*, Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

Quentin Groves, Auburn
Height: 6-4. Weight: 254

These Players May End Up As 3-4 LB

Is it even close? Gholston.

P-L
11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I cannot imagine any team taking Groves or Harvey over Gholston. That is, unless Gholston disappoints at the combine and Groves pulls off that rumored 4.4 40.

BroadwayJoe10
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I cannot imagine any team taking Groves or Harvey over Gholston. That is, unless Gholston disappoints at the combine and Groves pulls off that rumored 4.4 40.

exactly. this is really the only way i can see gholston bein taken after groves.

Babylon
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Learned a long time ago to stay away from Auburn Ends(thank you Aundray Bruce).

Gi-15
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Jordy Nelson

Kidding kidding. lol

Babylon
11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Jordy Nelson

Kidding kidding. lol

Are you trying to get Travis fired up again?

Gi-15
11-30-2007, 05:54 PM
lol not at all.

Back to the thread, I'm thinking Harveys(pun intented).

ironman4579
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Seriously? 23 people voted for Harvey over Gholston? I'm honestly shocked. Like PL said, I can't see any way either of the other two go over Gholston unless he has a dreadful combine and one of the other guys really impresses big time.

11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Seriously? 23 people voted for Harvey over Gholston? I'm honestly shocked. Like PL said, I can't see any way either of the other two go over Gholston unless he has a dreadful combine and one of the other guys really impresses big time.

i was gonna say the same thing..too many michigan fans on this board

ironman4579
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Hell, I am a Michigan fan and I voted for Gholston. Honestly, you'd think us Michigan fans would be more inclined to vote for the guy. ;)

P-L
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Michigan fans probably respect Vernon Gholston more than any other Ohio State player. After the way he's played against us the last few years, us U-M fans know he is the real deal.

P-L
11-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Public Polls, Please!!

Sniper
11-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Michigan fans probably respect Vernon Gholston more than any other Ohio State player. After the way he's played against us the last few years, us U-M fans know he is the real deal.

Yeah he's legit for sure. Gholston>>>>>Groves and Harvey. There's very little chance Gholston performs poorly at the Combine. I mean, the man isn't going to get out of shape any time soon when he looks like this...

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston1.jpg

P-L
11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Gholston could eat fast food every day from now until the combine and not work out, and he'd probably still put on a clinic at the combine.

Man_Of_Steel
11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Gholston, at this point its not a debate.

SuperKevin
11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I've said it before but I'm naming my first born son Vernon in hopes that he'll be an athletic freak

toonsterwu
11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I honestly don't think it's all that close right now. I think Gholston tops the list and is a top half of the first round pick. I think Harvey follows, and is more of a late 1st, although he could move into mid-first. I think Groves is a late 2nd/3rd rounder.

holt_bruce81
11-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Gholston will be the 2nd DE off the board right behind Chris Long.

Travis 24
11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I would have said Harvey at the beginning of the year...but its not even close now...Vernon Gholston by a long shot..and he's the only legit first rounder of the 3, IMO...and a top 10 pick at that.

holt_bruce81
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Patriots will probably get Gholston.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Gholston is a damn beast, he makes me want to cuss when I look at how ripped he is lol...He is going to be a monster for some team, question is, will a 4-3 team take him if they get the chance over a 3-4 team

The Legend
12-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Patriots will probably get Gholston.

over Darren McFadden, James Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins and maybe Jake Long

i dont know about that i think they need a LB in the middle with Seau & Bruschi going

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
over Darren McFadden, James Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins and maybe Jake Long

i dont know about that i think they need a LB in the middle with Seau & Bruschi going

Well, if they loved Gholston, they could just slide Vrabel inside to pair with Adalius, and have Vernon/Rosy on the outside. That said, I think they'll make a play for a LB in FA. I don't expect them to go OL that early in round 1. Their OL is fine, and they have 2nd/3rd round picks to add depth (and they have some depth on hand already).

Geo
12-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Ugh, I don't want to see Zach Thomas in a Patriots uniform. But I suspect it will happen.

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Ugh, I don't want to see Zach Thomas in a Patriots uniform. But I suspect it will happen.

Heck, I could see the Patriots making a play for Jason Taylor as well.

Oaktown1981
12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Gholston is my guess.

BroadwayJoe10
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I've said it before but I'm naming my first born son Vernon in hopes that he'll be an athletic freak

hahah.. I've always felt that guys when given girls names end up either costing their parents thousands in therapy bills or making them thousands playing a pro sport. The only one that comes to mind is Shannon Sharpe, but i remember hearing a couple college players named stacey....it all just reminds me of Johnny Cash's boy named sue.

OhioState
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I hate the Niners for being so bad and giving the Pats such a high pick. That being said there is no way Vern disapoints at the combine, he is a top 10-15 for sure.

Geo
12-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I thnk the Niners make a bit of a run with the five games remaining on their schedule, maybe even taking four games out of the five. If I'm not mistaken, they have three straight home games after this week.

The Legend
12-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, if they loved Gholston, they could just slide Vrabel inside to pair with Adalius, and have Vernon/Rosy on the outside. That said, I think they'll make a play for a LB in FA. I don't expect them to go OL that early in round 1. Their OL is fine, and they have 2nd/3rd round picks to add depth (and they have some depth on hand already).

well i think AD will be move back to the outside with the draft of James Laurinaitis

and i see Zack Thomas becoming a Patriot also, i also hope Seau come back i love watching him play, he played good for the amount of time he has played
50 tackles 1 sack 3 picks not bad

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm still not sold Laurinaitis is

a) a great fit for the Patriots - good fit with the potential to develop into a great fit, yes.

b) deserving of a top 5 pick.

Now, if they dealt down, sure, I'd be more amenable.

Not saying it's impossible, I just still don't buy it yet. Of course, if Laurinaitis has a ridiculous offseason, then who knows. I still think JL is more a mid-first that has the potential to go in that 8-10 range.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll say this.

I think Gholston will be the #1 DE or 3-4 OLB off the board. But with a 4.4 40' time and solid agility drills. Quentin Groves could be the first 4-3 OLB off the board.

I think the lynch pin is Arizona. I'd say Groves is like Joey Porter, 6'3 250lb OLB that was Great in coverage. If Whis wants that kind of WOLB, then he may be inclined to take Groves over Gholston.

A team early in the draft say...

St. Louis ~ Could play SLB or WLB

Atlanta ~ Could play WLB opposite of Michael Boley. Imagine those two at OLB.

Cincy ~ God knows they need LB's and He could be the fastest OLB in the draft. I'd say right now it's probably between him and Tavares Gooden.

Arizona ~ For reasons mentioned above.

Kansas City ~ Imagine him and Johnson on opposing sides of the field. That would be something Herm would love.

Carolina ~Could use LB's. Beason in the middle, Davis as SLB, Groves at WLB.

New Orleans ~ Just like Carolina. NO needs LBs/CB's. If Jenkins doesn't drop, Groves might be an option at either OLB position.

Just some thoughts.

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Just to be clear ... are you saying Groves is a top half of the first value? I guess it's not impossible, but the problem I see is that, well, most folks are already expecting insane numbers. I find it hard to see him really rise a ton as a result of it.

I think, of the top teams, the only team that might look hard at LB early is Cincinnati. Even then, they have other areas of concern, and as good as Groves athleticism might be, I have a hard time seeing them pass on Gholston or Laurinaitis, and one of them should be there for them, unless they make a remarkable drive down the stretch. Unless I'm mistaken, Derrick Johnson is actually playing the SLB role in Kansas City, with Edwards at the weakside role. I tend to think KC has much bigger issues to address than LB in round 1.

Geo
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I have Gholston pegged to Cincinnati in the Top Ten. They have no legit pass-rusher to fear, they need a franchise RDE. Pass rusher always gets the nod defensively, which is why I have Chris Long going first to Miami. Always give the nod to the pass rusher, getting to the quarterback is the premium in the league.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Just to be clear ... are you saying Groves is a top half of the first value? I guess it's not impossible, but the problem I see is that, well, most folks are already expecting insane numbers. I find it hard to see him really rise a ton as a result of it.

I think, of the top teams, the only team that might look hard at LB early is Cincinnati. Even then, they have other areas of concern, and as good as Groves athleticism might be, I have a hard time seeing them pass on Gholston or Laurinaitis, and one of them should be there for them, unless they make a remarkable drive down the stretch. Unless I'm mistaken, Derrick Johnson is actually playing the SLB role in Kansas City, with Edwards at the weakside role. I tend to think KC has much bigger issues to address than LB in round 1.

I'm not arguing Toon, but who knows really. I'm saying the athleticism and pro-size are there.

If his athleticism is as what it's made out to be (4.4's and some great triangle #'s) it's not insane to think he could be a top-15 pick and the top 4-3 OLB off the board.

I understand KC has bigger issues. I was just pointing out, there are a ton of potential suitors for a WLB/SLB in the top 15 of round one. Edwards is going into his what, 13th season?

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Unless they've soured on him, I was under the impression that KC's staff was high on Keyaron Fox, so they do have some depth.

I'm not saying it can't happen ... but if it happens, I don't think it will be due to his numbers, as people are expecting those numbers. Thing with most workout warrios is that the numbers are somewhat unexpected ... and the only thing that would be unexpected for Groves is if he fails to run a good time.