PDA

View Full Version : Second Mock Draft of the season

TheChosenOne
11-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I think that you guys will like this one a lot better.....I hope so at least. Like before the order is from the ESPN power rankings. Provide feedback, and enjoy.

#1 Dolphins-OT Jake Long, Michigan
A lot of people are beginning to think the Dolphins will draft Glenn Dorsey but I don’t see how he is a good fit for their defense. In addition, if they want their “young” quarterback to mature they better give him some protection and at least a chance to make throws. Jake Long is the best offensive lineman in the draft and would start on their line from day one.

#2 Jets-DE Chris Long, Virginia
Long is everything that the Jets need. He fits their defense, gives them a pass rush, and plays on the line which is where the Jets must go if they want to turn around their fortunes. McFadden would be nice but the team just traded for Thomas Jones, and they have much bigger needs. Side note, I think this pick, the closer and closer we get to the draft, will begin to be rumored to be a quarterback as Clemens has not done well, and the coaching staff is more than likely about to change.

#3 Falcons-QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
The Falcons need a lot of help and it should start with a new quarterback. They need someone to come in and be the new face of their organization. Most believe Matt Ryan is the best quarterback in this draft, but Bobby Petrino will hand pick Brohm with this selection. Brohm is already familiar with the offensive system and will give this franchise much needed hope.

#4 Rams-DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
I’m tempted to give them the pass rusher in Campbell, but it seems unanimous that Dorsey is the better prospect. Dorsey will help their porous run defense and can also pressure the quarterback himself. The Rams one way or another will draft a lineman, most likely defensive but if Jake Long is available at their selection he could be the pick.

#5 Patriots (F/49ers)-RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas
I don’t see how this is fair. The Patriots are rolling at the moment, and they could end up with a top 5 pick and the best player in the draft. They do have actual needs, such as middle linebacker, but McFadden is a luxury that they can afford to have, and you can even argue that the Patriots running game is an area of need. Despite investing a first round pick on Maroney I do not believe the Patriots would pass on the chance to bring in McFadden because he is a superstar waiting to happen.

#6 Raiders-DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
That great Raiders defense from last year is gone, and their run defense is among the worst in the NFL. Sedrick Ellis has skyrocketed up boards during this season and he is definitely in the top 10 mix. He fits need and value for the Raiders at this point in the draft and looks like a good selection.

#7 Panthers-S Kenny Philips, Miami
For a long time now the Panthers have severely needed a safety but have not adequately addressed the position. Lucky for them they have Kenny Philips fall right into their lap. A great prospect that is labeled as the next Sean Taylor or Ed Reed Philips will make an impact on this defense from day one of mini camp.

#8 Ravens-QB Matt Ryan, BC
The Ravens offense is in shambles and it starts with their quarterback. McNair’s career is over and Boller is not a long-term solution. This offense has weapons in Mason, Clayton, Williams and McGahee but no one to lead the attack. Matt Ryan has locked up a top 10 draft spot and is widely considered the top quarterback in this draft.

#9 Chiefs-QB Andre Woodson
The Chiefs need a lot of help but they are closer than most think. Regardless they need a quarterback. Huard is not the guy and it is becoming more apparent that Croyle is not who the Chiefs thought he would be. Andre Woodson has the most upside out of any quarterback in this class and a likely top 10 pick come April.

#10 Bengals-DE Calais Campbell, Miami
Do the Bengals remind anyone of the Chiefs from a few years ago? If they could put any sort of decent defense on the field this team has so much potential. They probably have bigger needs than a defensive end however Campbell at this point is the best player left in the draft and there is always the old saying that a great pass rush can atone for many sins on defense.

#11 Bills-OLB Dan Connor, Penn St
The Bills run defense needs help and Dan Connor would be a great start. A tackling machine that can defend both the run and the pass, they can reunite him with his college teammate Posluszny, who will line up right next to him.

#12 Texans-OT Ryan Clady, Boise St
For as long as the Texans have been a franchise they have been searching for a franchise left tackle. Ryan Clady can finally fill that huge void. An underclassman who will most likely come out, Clady has a chance to be a top 10 pick and the second offensive lineman drafted after Jake Long.

#13 Redskins-WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
This is a reach, I know, and Jackson will probably be the first receiver drafted. Here’s my logic: The Redskins offense is their biggest weakness, specifically the passing offense. It seems as if every one likes Jason Campbell so starting over at quarterback is not the direction to go, but getting receivers is. They have small quick receivers in Moss and Randle El and need a big guy to compliment them, which Kelly is perfect for.

#14 Cardinals-CB Malcolm Jenkins, OSU
I want to give them an offensive lineman since their running game is in the bottom three in the NFL but the value is not here. The Cardinals next biggest weakness is the pass defense. Malcolm Jenkins is an underclassman that if he decides to come off should be the first corner drafted and will be a good starter opposite Rolle.

#15 Vikings-WR DeSean Jackson, Cal
The Vikings need a quarterback but Adrian Peterson might run this team to too many wins to be in position to get one of the top three. Regardless the Vikings need to upgrade their passing game and DeSean Jackson is a very good consolation prize. I personally believe that McNabb will be lining up under center for the Vikings next season, which makes this pick even better for the Vikings.

#16 Broncos-ILB James Laurinaitis, OSU
The Broncos have the worst rush defense in the league and part of that can be attributed to their average defensive line, but I think a big part of it is the inadequate replacing of Al Wilson. The drafting of Laurinaitis will allow D.J. Williams to move back to his natural position of outside linebacker, and Laurinaitis is a great player in his own right who looks like the next A.J. Hawk, only at middle linebacker.

#17 Bears-OT Gosder Cherilus, BC
The Bears need a new quarterback but it doesn’t look like they will be in position for Brohm, Ryan, or Woodson and the best route for this team is probably trading for a veteran like Derek Anderson instead of starting over because their window is closing. The Bears can however use youth along the offensive line, and Cherilus will most likely play right tackle in the NFL but BC has a long history of producing great offensive lineman.

#18 Eagles-OLB Keith Rivers
You can make a case for an offensive lineman or wide receiver but I think the talent of Rivers will trump reaching for either. The Eagles linebackers are serviceable but none have the star power that Rivers has. He is allowed to wear #55 for the Trojans which says a lot.

#19 Lions-CB Mike Jenkins, USF
The Lions pass offense has been good, and the pass defense has been just as bad. Trading away Dre’ Bly left no playmakers in the Detroit secondary and they now rank second to last in pass defense in the NFL. Mike Jenkins is the best player on South Florida and has a very good opportunity to be among the highest drafted at his position.

#20 Saints- CB Aqib Talib, Kansas
The Saints need pass defense, simply put. Aqib Talib is the start of Kansas’ surprising season and has the skills and tools to be a good corner in the NFL. Should he come out, he will be in the mix for the highest defensive backs drafted come April.

#21 Titans-WR Limas Sweed, Texas
The Titans need to give Vince Young some help if he is to ever pan out. This might be a bit of a reach but I like the idea. Limas Sweed is Young’s former teammate from Texas and he gives Vince a big familiar target to throw to in the passing game, which can really help balance out this offense.

#22 Giants-DB Reggie Smith, Oklahoma
The Giants have a keeper in Aaron Ross but the secondary is still a huge concern. Regardless of position, safety or cornerback, the Giants need some help. Enter Smith who is a bit of a ‘tweener and has no true position. He can help out at both spots and kill two birds with one stone.

#23 Chargers-DT Frank Okam, Texas
The Chargers don’t have too many holes personnel wise, their coach just sucks. They could use an inside linebacker as both of their starters from last season are no longer on the team, and they did not do much to replace either, so Maualuga is an option. Okam is probably the better prospect though and behind Jamal Williams they have relatively nothing so if he were to go down it would be a huge blow, therefore depth is needed.

#24 Buccaneers- OT Sam Baker, USC
The Buccaneers line is a mess, their free agent pickup can’t stay healthy or be counted on, and they are currently starting an undrafted free agent at left tackle. Not the best situation to have as a team. Sam Baker is very athletic and could solidify their offensive line.

#25 Seahawks-RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Shaun Alexander’s career is about to go into rapid decline and it has already started. He is not who he once was, is now over 30, and will never regain form. To transition him out the Seahawks need to bring in Stewart who they can transition in.

#26 Cowboys (F/Browns)-CB Antoine Cason, Arizona
The Cowboys weakness is no secret, it’s their secondary. Cason does not have elite speed but is still a good prospect, and his drafting can allow the team to make the long rumored move of Anthony Henry to safety as Ken Hamlin has not shown enough to warrant a new contract after this season.

#27 Steelers- OT Jeff Otah, Pitt
The Steelers have a history of letting free agent offensive lineman walk, and that could mean that after this season both Alan Faneca and Max Starks will be playing elsewhere. Otah is climbing up draft boards thanks to his ridiculous size and great potential.

#28 Jaguars-DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
The Jaguars have the best pair of defensive tackles in football but they need better ends to compliment them. If they can get a better pass rush this already good defense can become scary. Harvey is a local product from Florida who is a very good pass rusher.

#29 49ers (F/Colts)-DE Quentin Groves, Auburn
The 49ers defense needs to find ways to put the quarterback on the ground. Tully Banta-Cain is nothing special and can be upgraded. They took a physical marvel before in Manny Lawson and this could be the second time they do that as Groves is rumored to run a 4.4 40.

#30 Packers-RB Steve Slaton, West Virginia
The Packers have found a running game in Ryan Grant and I would rather give them a corner back here but there is not very good value. With that said, Slaton is still not a bad pick as most teams have a 1-2 punch these days in the NFL and Slaton can be a weapon for this team to find a niche.

#31 Cowboys-WR Adarius Bowman, OKSt
The Cowboys offense is rolling but it is a fact that Owens and Glenn are getting older and some youth can be brought in. Bowman has very good size and would compliment receivers like Crayton well in the future.

KCJ58
11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm fine with Dorsey

Chucky
11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
#24 Buccaneers- OT Sam Baker, USC
The Buccaneers line is a mess, their free agent pickup can’t stay healthy or be counted on, and they are currently starting an undrafted free agent at left tackle. Not the best situation to have as a team. Sam Baker is very athletic and could solidify their offensive line.

The Bucs line is a mess? You clearly have not watched one minute of the Bucs so far this year. THeir line is better than it has ever been, and Donald Penn has actually done a solid job so far this year, but not perfect.

Jim Jim
11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Ryan Grant is the answer.

Give us a CB. Give us a CB.

stl9erfan
11-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Love the Niners pick, so obviously I wouldn't complain if it wound up that way. But I can't help wondering: why do so many think that Groves is going to last until the end of the 1st round? I mean an SEC player with his measurables and knack for getting to the QB sure sounds like a top 15 pick AT LEAST to me... is there some character issue I'm unaware of or is it the 'undersized' label that people think will affect him?

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-30-2007, 07:19 PM
good Oakland pick.

11-30-2007, 07:22 PM
good but not great oakland pick. too high for ellis IMO.

Yung Flippa
11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd rather have Andre Woodson for the Ravens, but I won't complain about Matt Ryan

11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
i like matt ryan more but i agree andre woodson would be a better fit for the ravens and the system they run

gsorace
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Not sure why people think Chris Long fits the Jets defense.

fenikz
11-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Rolle doesn't start for us, Green and Hood do...well he is starting now but only because Green is out for the rest of the year, still love the pick, if he develops quickly we can move Green to NB where he fits best and then Rolle to FS

Travis 24
11-30-2007, 08:38 PM
The Jets are out of their mind if they pass McFadden for a defensive end...

I don't like the Eagles pick at all...I'm sorry, but Reggie Smith has to be the pick there...They NEED secondary help BADLY...They took Stewart Bradley in round 3 last year, he almost certainly has a future on the outside for the Eagles..

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
good raven pick, either Ryan or Woodson would be nice fits here. Im not sure which 1 Id rather have at this moment, maybe after the combine Ill have my mind made up. As of now either Ryan or Woodson are good picks

jackson34
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice Raiders pick!

princefielder28
11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Ryan Grant is the answer.

Give us a CB. Give us a CB.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

skinzzfan25
11-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I like the Kelly pick, but I think we could easily trade down and still get him.

Jensen
12-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Great Cardinals pick.

SuperKevin
12-01-2007, 02:10 AM
I really can't see the Bills drafting a LB in round one. It's not a huge position of need. We need WRs and CBs much more than we need a LB.

Crazy_Chris
12-01-2007, 02:30 AM
I like the Vikings pick.

Bengals78
12-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Aside from CB, I love any pick for the bengals on defense

Bills2083
12-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I'd rather go with Malcolm Kelly, or Malcolm Jenkins there.

LB is not as big of a need as WR and CB.

BaLLiN
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Love the giants pick, and love the explaination, you hit right on target. But for the cowboy's explaination, I think Hamlin has done a good to great job.

T-RICH49
12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
How do we know if Croyle's the anwser or not?give him a decent line then see what he can do.Clady or Baker are MUCH better picks

etk
12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
The Bucs line is a mess? You clearly have not watched one minute of the Bucs so far this year. THeir line is better than it has ever been, and Donald Penn has actually done a solid job so far this year, but not perfect.

Don't overreact. I think toonster meant our situation at LT is a mess, which it is.
Baker is exactly the LT we need and like, and I'd be more than happy drafting him.

Scotty D
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Jenkins is a great pick and I'm a huge fan of his. But I think Baker would have to be the pick there. Jenkins definitely works and talk to me in three days and I might support it.

Vikes99ej
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I like the Vikings pick. Jackson would be a good receiver to complement Rice.

iloxygenil
12-02-2007, 05:07 AM
If McFadden is on the boards he will be a Falcon. I don't see how it could possibly go any other way. Petrino did a nice job last year of steering clear of homerism in his picks and he knows that if he could get the best player in the draft at the 3rd overall pick he'd be helping this team out a ton. Dunn is likely to be gone now that his 10k mark has been reached, and we need the primary back to go with Norwood...you're not going to find better than McFadden, splitting time with those 2 backs would be ideal for any team. I know we need a QB, but we don't have an offensive line to protect a franchise QB at this point, so we'll have to fix that as well...

rodri20
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I love Mcfadden for the pats. Great mock!