PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson: Trade a 1st and 3rd to get him?

Xiomera
11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Tom Kowalski talks about the possibility here:

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2007/11/kowalski_on_wdfn_more_on_why_t.html

What do you think?

Would you support a trade for QB Derek Anderson if it costs a first and third rounder in 2008?

Xiomera
11-30-2007, 08:35 PM
I say hell yes, let's do it.

Millen doesn't have a good track record for using first round picks effectively, and we need a QB of the future. I don't see Stanton as the answer because Martz will leave before he ever gets the chance to start.

Maybe we can trade Stanton for a 3rd rounder . . . ?

11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
thats still a stiff price to pay. first glance im like no way but if you read into it hes got a point considering if you wait on stanton all these years and he doesnt pan out than that would set the franchise back quite a bit.

Xiomera
11-30-2007, 08:43 PM
thats still a stiff price to pay. first glance im like no way but if you read into it hes got a point considering if you wait on stanton all these years and he doesnt pan out than that would set the franchise back quite a bit.

If Martz leaves, our franchise will be set back two years.

Stanton only fits if Martz is here. And Stanton isn't gonna be starting next year. Kitna isn't going to be as good in another offensive system.

11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
If Martz leaves, our franchise will be set back two years.

Stanton only fits if Martz is here. And Stanton isn't gonna be starting next year. Kitna isn't going to be as good in another offensive system.

if that is the case than i support this proposal as it would be a better fit to bring in a QB such as anderson via trade or through FA than keep a young QB whos gonna have to learn a new offense all over again and have his development stalled much like alex smith in SF once turner left.

Billingsley26
11-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I have had this discussion with many people, a lot of Ravens fans seem to think Ozzie Newsome will pull the trigger.
I wouldnt. You are giving up a 1st and 3rd to get a guy who, outside of this year has really not done alot. Granted, he is doing very well this year.
I look at this year as being the year of the QB. There are many, many good QB's this draft, especially in the first round.
What it comes down to, is if you were planning on drafting a QB, and Anderson is fairly young (I think only 27), do you want to send a 1st round pick on a rookie QB or a guy who had his chance this year and is killing it.
Personally, I would draft a QB and work him in it. Unless you are in a much needed situation....something like a must win now or your out place.

Overall, it would be pretty close, but I am just leaning slightly to no on this one. However, there are still 5 weeks left to prove me wrong some more!

11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I have had this discussion with many people, a lot of Ravens fans seem to think Ozzie Newsome will pull the trigger.
I wouldnt. You are giving up a 1st and 3rd to get a guy who, outside of this year has really not done alot. Granted, he is doing very well this year.
I look at this year as being the year of the QB. There are many, many good QB's this draft, especially in the first round.
What it comes down to, is if you were planning on drafting a QB, and Anderson is fairly young (I think only 27), do you want to send a 1st round pick on a rookie QB or a guy who had his chance this year and is killing it.
Personally, I would draft a QB and work him in it. Unless you are in a much needed situation....something like a must win now or your out place.

Overall, it would be pretty close, but I am just leaning slightly to no on this one. However, there are still 5 weeks left to prove me wrong some more!

theres more advantages to sacrificing that 1st and 3rd for anderson than drafting a QB. the main point however is anderson is only 24 which is almost as young as some QBs in this years draft class yet he is "proven" and you know what he can do. why not give up that extra 3rd if you know what you have there.

Xiomera
11-30-2007, 09:02 PM

I don't have half as much confidence in any of the top QB's in this year's draft as I do in Anderson.

Anderson has proven himself. Rookie QB's are completely hit or miss. And considering the failures of Joey Harrington, it's obvious the Lions remain gun-shy about taking a first round QB.

If the Lions 1st rounder is in the bottom third of the round (as it would seem likely at this point), then Brohm, Woodson, and Ryan will all most likely be gone anyways. It's not like Detroit is gonna have a top ten pick this year to hand over to the Browns. Anderson is better value.

I would much rather give Anderson a large contract than a rookie, first round QB. Anderson has justified the spending of a lot of money. How many first round QB's end up as busts? 50%? Sounds about right . . .

People say any QB would succeed with the likes of Braylon and Winslow around him. The Lions have KJ, Calvin, and Roy. If they could solidify their offensive line a bit through free agency and by using their 2nd rounder, Anderson would be stepping into a better offense than he has in Cleveland. He sure as hell wouldn't be likely to regress in Detroit.

WMD
12-01-2007, 06:43 AM
No, I wouldn't do that in a million years. He's having a great year.. but I'd wait until he can do it again before I invest a Round 1 and Round 3 in him.

I'd much rather just blow our Round 2 pick this year on another QB... Who would give us a Round 3 for Stanton if we're willing to spend our Round 1 and 3 on someone to just replace him?

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 08:32 AM
No, I wouldn't do that in a million years. He's having a great year.. but I'd wait until he can do it again before I invest a Round 1 and Round 3 in him.

I'd much rather just blow our Round 2 pick this year on another QB... Who would give us a Round 3 for Stanton if we're willing to spend our Round 1 and 3 on someone to just replace him?

Perhaps the future employer of Mike Martz . . . ?

SAGA45
12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Unless Joe Thomas is secretly included in the deal, don't do it.

Prowler
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
might as well do it, just pretend we traded mike williams and charles rogers

Flyboy
12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I would try to pull a deal similar to what Atlanta got for Schaub at the very least.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I would try to pull a deal similar to what Atlanta got for Schaub at the very least.

That's impossible cosidering that Anderson is much more proven than Schaub. He will demand at least a 1st and a 3rd.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM

but you can also draft a qb and he not pan out for you...I think getting a guy like Anderson would be smart because he is already seasoned and you dont have to wait for him to get to a high level of play...He would be great getting the ball to the playmakers, with who the Lions have on offense it would be smart, he can get the ball to Winslow and Edwards, thats all you can ask...I dont think he will have trouble getting the ball to Calvin and Roy either, and he's still better then Kitna...could be a good qb for 4-5 years and still give you time to find a young qb and groom him while not wasting the prime years of Roy and Calvin

Scotty D
12-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Don't go get that veteran quarterback yet. I have no doubt is a solid QB but I think his supporting cast is allowing him to be so successful. GASP The Browns drafted a stud LT and moved their underachieving high priced left tackle Kevin Schaffer to the RT. Which immediately improved their line by leaps and bounds.

Fire Mike Martz's candy ass

Solidify the offensive line

Then go get your QB

I'd also like to add a playmaking TE.

Xiomera
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Seems like in every one of the polls I am always on the opposite side of the fence from the other prominent die-hard Lions fans of NFLDC.

Maybe I am just a radical when it comes to the Lions affairs . . .

Scotty D
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Seems like in every one of the polls I am always on the opposite side of the fence from the other prominent die-hard Lions fans of NFLDC.

Maybe I am just a radical when it comes to the Lions affairs . . .

I think this kind of move is one or two off seasons away.

detroit4life
12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I think this kind of move is one or two off seasons away.

i agree i think lions need to adress their oline and there defense this year while grooming stanton who they did take in the second round. That way by the time stanto nis ready our oline will be improved and we'll have a much better defense. If stanton fails then they go get the proven QB but until that point this team has too many needs to trade away your first and third