PDA

View Full Version : Aqib Talib

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 01:53 AM
He has a lot of tools to work with but if he would come out this year with the other underclass CB you think will come out, were would you rank him? Also how high and low could he go, and whats his cons and pros. Thanks.

SuperKevin
12-01-2007, 01:56 AM
My CB rankings are

1. Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
2. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech
3. Mike Jenkins South Florida
4. Aqib Talib Kansas
5. Antoine Cason Arizona

From what I've seen, Talib is a solid cover corner but he sometimes is too slow in transition and gets beat deep(see the Kansas State game). He's still a solid all around CB though

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 02:11 AM
My CB rankings are

1. Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
2. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech
3. Mike Jenkins South Florida
4. Aqib Talib Kansas
5. Antoine Cason Arizona

From what I've seen, Talib is a solid cover corner but he sometimes is too slow in transition and gets beat deep(see the Kansas State game). He's still a solid all around CB though

The one play were I saw that WR beat him deep, there was not safety help up top, that was just a terrible call, because Talib was playing bump-and-run on him.

thule
12-01-2007, 02:35 AM
If Talib runs in that 4.38 to 4.42 range he will be a top 15 lock....scouts are extremely high on him and if he chooses to declare he is essentially a round one lock.

Right now the CB class should be a beauty...and I'm not sold on him leaving.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 02:38 AM
If Talib runs in that 4.38 to 4.42 range he will be a top 15 lock....scouts are extremely high on him and if he chooses to declare he is essentially a round one lock.

Right now the CB class should be a beauty...and I'm not sold on him leaving.

I personally think he will be a fool to say with his stock so high. I don't see Kansas getting more than 7 wins next year, so he probably should leave school this year.

WMD
12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
If he wants to go to the Lions, he'll declare for the Draft!

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I think Talib is a first rounder even if he runs, say, a low 4.5 time. Any higher than that and his draft value goes tumbling. I think a mid-4.4 time could probably garner him a mid-first value.

genom
12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I like Talib a lot. Great tackler, solid in coverage and closes on the ball very well. I've seen him get beat on well run and double routes too often though.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
To me the guy has everything going for him except stopwatch speed. Sometimes i think you have to recognize guys as being just football players. As for him running 4.3 or 4.4 he better get someone to run the 40 for him because he isnt running that time.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I think Talib is extremely overrated. Hasn't played any good competition and the decent competition he has faced, he's been burnt badly... Owned by Jordy Nelson, Maurice Purify and Jeremy Maclin. NUFCED.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I think Talib is extremely overrated. Hasn't played any good competition and the decent competition he has faced, he's been burnt badly... Owned by Jordy Nelson, Maurice Purify and Jeremy Maclin. NUFCED.

I dont know about any good competition as the B12 is one of the better throwing leagues, although i dont think they played Okla. or Texas. I think the guy can play but like you said he did give up some big plays.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 12:10 PM

I was watching those games and most of the times those players had big catches he wasn't assigned to them. I don't know what the DC was doing, but I know that he was not covering Purify in the Nebraska game for most of it.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I was watching those games and most of the times those players had big catches he wasn't assigned to them. I don't know what the DC was doing, but I know that he was not covering Purify in the Nebraska game for most of it.

And when he played KSU he did give the run and catch to Nelson but he actually had him covered fairly well and the ball was perfectly thrown( a rarity for Freeman) after that he somewhat limited Jordy to a lot of short stuff.

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a feeling that he will come out. He has dominated for two years now, and I think he is going to take a chance on another year. I think his stock is as high as it will ever be. He has already proven that is one of the best CB's in the draft.
I have him as my #1 CB in this draft. I dont think there is another CB who better than him. Aqib right now I see being a top 15 pick, and I dont see him falling at all, regardless of what happens, falling out of the 1st round.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 12:28 PM
The problem is that you can't blame a CB for a team having a bad pass defense because you have no idea where he was assigned the entire game.

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM

He shut down Bowman, who by most is consider the most physical wr in the draft. The play he got beat by Nelson is the DC fault, he didn't have any safety help at the top and he played Nelson on the line.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2007, 01:20 PM
What about him being a cover 2 corner in the NFL? Seems like a better fit

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
What about him being a cover 2 corner in the NFL? Seems like a better fit

I think Cason is the best Cover-2 in this draft due to his lack of speed. I think Talib will just be a good CB in general.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 01:24 PM
What you know is nothing. Talib was lit up by Purify. 2 of Purify's 3 TDs were on Talib. Kansas DC isn't stupid. He put Talib on Purify and Talib got worked. You either have bad eyes or you are lying to make excuses for him.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
What you know is nothing. Talib was lit up by Purify. 2 of Purify's 3 TDs were on Talib. Kansas DC isn't stupid. He put Talib on Purify and Talib got worked. You either have bad eyes or you are lying to make excuses for him.

Then I guess I got bad eyes because I didn't see Talib on Purify. Oh well. =(

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
He shut down Bowman, who by most is consider the most physical wr in the draft. The play he got beat by Nelson is the DC fault, he didn't have any safety help at the top and he played Nelson on the line.
He did not shutdown Bowman. Bowman left the game early with an injury.

How is getting beat by Nelson the DC's fault? We're not talking about one play here. Is Talib not good without Safety help? He can't stick with his man from the start if the WR goes deep?

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Then I guess I got bad eyes because I didn't see Talib on Purify. Oh well. =(

I am going to vouch for Turtlepower, because I dont recall seeing Talib on Purify for much of the game.

Turtlepower
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I am going to vouch for Turtlepower, because I dont recall seeing Talib on Purify for much of the game.

Yeah, I'm not completely crazy. =D

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM

How is getting beat by Nelson the DC's fault? We're not talking about one play here. Is Talib not good without Safety help? He can't stick with his man from the start if the WR goes deep?

Look at some of the best CB's to ever play football, and tell me if when they play bump and run, or jam a WR at the line, that they are able to retreat riht away and make the play without any help from the safety. Unless you have one of the worst QB's who madly under throws the ball. I dont hold that against him.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
"Last weekend, Nebraska senior Maurice Purify had a career game against Kansas with 148 yards, 7 receptions and three touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns came against Talib. Not to pick on Talib here, but he is supposed to be the best cornerback in college football this season."

http://www.kansan.com/stories/2007/nov/08/Wheeler/?sports

energizerbunny
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
He is very overrated, he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as both Jenkins

12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
He is very overrated, he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as both Jenkins

no hes not on jenkins level but hes easily the second best corner in this years draft if he decides to come out IMO

adschofield
12-01-2007, 03:21 PM

The only guy who has owned Talib is Purify...We played zone against Missouri, and Maclin didn't have a great day anyway...Nelson had that one catch, and that was pretty much it.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Bowman left at half time...Talib shut him down in the first half

Babylon
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
The only guy who has owned Talib is Purify...We played zone against Missouri, and Maclin didn't have a great day anyway...Nelson had that one catch, and that was pretty much it.

Nelson had 10 catches for 137 yds, not sure how many were against Talib but my recollection was he had him all day.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Nelson had 10 catches for 137 yds, not sure how many were against Talib but my recollection was he had him all day.

Besides that long pass, it was mainly short, quick passes...I fail to see why Talib is being judged by one game

thule
12-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Besides that long pass, it was mainly short, quick passes...I fail to see why Talib is being judged by one game

He's not...let the haters be haters....Talib is in the first round mix...with a low 4.4 40 he is the #2 CB off the board.

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM

I agree with you....

He's not...let the haters be haters....Talib is in the first round mix...with a low 4.4 40 he is the #2 CB off the board.

Yes and yes!

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM

you mean in next year's draft right :D

God, I hope he stays

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Maclin only had 10 catches... but I guess you're gonna say, that wasn't all on Talib. Well after that game Chase Daniels solidified his invitiation to NY. So what? Where was Talib? Hiding?

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Maclin only had 10 catches... but I guess you're gonna say, that wasn't all on Talib. Well after that game Chase Daniels solidified his invitiation to NY. So what? Where was Talib? Hiding?

Playing in a zone

Edit: Also, Talib was mainly matched up with Will Franklin, Missouri's #1 receiver...he had 4 catches for 32 yards

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, they're gonna try and make an excuse that Talib wasn't covering him the whole time. So my question is why wasn't Talib covering him???

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, they're gonna try and make an excuse that Talib wasn't covering him the whole time. So my question is why wasn't Talib covering him???

No, Talib was playing him the entire game, but after that long pass, Talib did a lot better...Also, I still don't know why you're judging him on one game, I could find at least one or two bad games for every 2008 draft prospect

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh I don't doubt that he'll be drafted high. I just think he's not as good as everyone makes him out to be. May not be a bust, but he's nothing special.

I'd feel comfortable taking him in the 3rd. Could be a good career nickel back.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh I don't doubt that he'll be drafted high. I just think he's not as good as everyone makes him out to be. May not be a bust, but he's nothing special.

Why? Because Jordy Nelson had a good game against him...

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM

3rd round???? You crazy????? Hes going in the 1st, in fact I still feel hes the top CB this year and he should be top 15 if he comes out.

adschofield

What about a certain Runningback that had only 61 yards on 19 carries against FIU, do you think he could become a good 3rd down runningback in the NFL

D-Unit
No, Talib was playing him the entire game, but after that long pass, Talib did a lot better...Also, I still don't know why you're judging him on one game, I could find at least one or two bad games for every 2008 draft prospect
He failed to show up against Kansas St., Nebraska, Missouri...

Who are you trying to say he covered? C Michigan? SE Louisiana? Toledo? Fla Int'l? Baylor? Colorado? Texas A&M? Iowa St? Those guys suck.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:42 PM
3rd round???? You crazy????? Hes going in the 1st, in fact I still feel hes the top CB this year and he should be top 15 if he comes out.
So what exactly has he done to deserve anything higher?

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:43 PM
He failed to show up against Kansas St., Nebraska, Missouri...

Who are you trying to say he covered? C Michigan? SE Louisiana? Toledo? Fla Int'l? Baylor? Colorado? Texas A&M? Iowa St? Those guys suck.

How many games have you seen Talib in?

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
So what exactly has he done to deserve anything higher?

You want to bring in his stats about who he has played????

Then please dont tell me how great Colt Brennans stats are! Dont say he has played this team and that team, when Brennan has played no one better than that.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
You want to bring in his stats about who he has played????

Then please dont tell me how great Colt Brennans stats are! Dont say he has played this team and that team, when Brennan has played no one better than that.
Brennan has nothing to do with the conversation? Are you getting that frustrated?

Yeah, why don't you show me some stats about who he played.

12-01-2007, 05:50 PM

easy there, hes comfortably the #2 CB this year but no where close to malcolm jenkins.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Pretty safe to say the combine is going to decide where he goes, i dont think he will run a good 40 time for a corner thus dropping him down a bit. Still he's a good football player.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Brennan has nothing to do with the conversation? Are you getting that frustrated?

Yeah, why don't you show me some stats about who he played.

Well, last year he lead the nation in passes defensed per game, and he lead the Big 12 with 6 INT's

kmartin575
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

He hardly shutdown Bowman. Bowman didn't even play half the game due to Talib ending his season.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:55 PM
He hardly shutdown Bowman. Bowman didn't even play half the game due to Talib ending his season.

a. Check out Bowman's stats for the first half

b. What was Talib supposed to do? This isn't two-hand touch

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 05:58 PM
a. Check out Bowman's stats for the first half

b. What was Talib supposed to do? This isn't two-hand touch
Yeah, he undercut him... that was a pretty dirty play. Props to him for that. I love dirty football.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, he undercut him... that was a pretty dirty play. Props to him for that. I love dirty football.

Have you ever played football? They always teach to tackle low, esp. against guys like Bowman who are big...if he tried to arm tackle him, Bowman would've broken play...Also, it was a pretty great read by Talib to snuff out the screen

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, last year he lead the nation in passes defensed per game, and he lead the Big 12 with 6 INT's
So he was targeted a lot??? No surprise. That stat can mean a lot of different things.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you ever played football? They always teach to tackle low, esp. against guys like Bowman who are big...if he tried to arm tackle him, Bowman would've broken play...Also, it was a pretty great read by Talib to snuff out the screen
Talib has to do that because his upper body is so skinny... actually.. it's his whole body. He's not what you'd call a physical corner, that's for sure.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Talib didn't shutdown anyone against Missouri, but his main assignment was Maclin. ("That dude is the real deal, ain't he?" said Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib, who will often be lined up against Maclin. "I enjoy just watching him on SportsCenter. http://www.kansas.com/249/story/237252.html) Besides, why would Kansas purposely put Talib in situations where we wouldn't be in position to guard their best WR, Jeremy Maclin? Maclin had a game high 10 receptions.

...and no, Purify's catches didn't come from the other side of Talib... Purify was having a field day, why would the coaches NOT put Talib, their best DB over to cover him? Makes no sense at all. ...and it wasn't true. Purify burnt Talib for 2 TDs, not 1.

Against the Jayhawks, he (Purify) won most of his battles against star cornerback Aqib Talib.

"It showed me a lot," Callahan said. "When you get matched up against a high-caliber corner like Talib, you're going to have an opportunity to be recognized and written up by the pro scouts as a guy that made big plays."
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=301939

Aqib Talib, KU cornerback
He’s a Bronko Nagurski Award finalists, on the Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list and a Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist. He has four interceptions and 13 pass breakups. But Talib has been burned by K-State’s Jordy Nelson and Nebraska’s Maurice Purify. If he gets toasted again with the national attention being shown to the Border War, Talib’s status could slip when it comes times to hand out various awards and honors.
http://www.kansascity.com/167/story/373201.html

With this in mind, it is time for Talib to step up and perform against a top receiver. While Talib has had several exciting plays this season, he has let a couple top receivers score big against Kansas.

The first receiver Talib let by him was Kansas State senior Jordy Nelson. In the Sunflower Showdown in Manhattan earlier this season, Nelson came up big with a 68-yard touchdown reception.

Last weekend, Nebraska senior Maurice Purify had a career game against Kansas with 148 yards, 7 receptions and three touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns came against Talib. Not to pick on Talib here, but he is supposed to be the best cornerback in college football this season.

...plus he's a twig.

http://tv.ku.edu/media/news/images/2006/08/Talib.jpg

I very well may be dead wrong about the guy... but I think he's overrated on this board. I have no idea why people are so high on him. He hasn't faced really good competition and when he has faced decent competition, he's been roasted and toasted.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
So he was targeted a lot??? No surprise. That stat can mean a lot of different things.

No, he wasn't...he was nationally recognized as a Freshman...I doubt they would have targeted him, considering there were/are much worse CB's on Kansas

You still haven't given me any reason why he is a bad corner, besides stats from ONE game...Why isn't D-Mac being considered a 3rd round pick after a bad game against FIU

adschofield
12-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Talib didn't shutdown anyone against Missouri, but his main assignment was Maclin. ("That dude is the real deal, ain't he?" said Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib, who will often be lined up against Maclin. "I enjoy just watching him on SportsCenter. http://www.kansas.com/249/story/237252.html) Besides, why would Kansas purposely put Talib in situations where we wouldn't be in position to guard their best WR, Jeremy Maclin? Maclin had a game high 10 receptions.

...and no, Purify's catches didn't come from the other side of Talib... Purify was having a field day, why would the coaches NOT put Talib, their best DB over to cover him? Makes no sense at all. ...and it wasn't true. Purify burnt Talib for 2 TDs, not 1.

...plus he's a twig.

I very well may be dead wrong about the guy... but I think he's overrated on this board. I have no idea why people are so high on him. He hasn't faced really good competition and when he has faced decent competition, he's been roasted and toasted.

You cite 3 games (I still think he played ok against MU) in his career as to why he is a bad corner...that's a joke, right

adschofield
12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Glenn Dorsey should make a good career back-up by your logic since he's had some bad games during the last part of the season, right?

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM

...plus he's a twig.

If you dont include the arms, he looks like the same size as Woodson does...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/dr_z/03/15/mailbag/p1_woodson.jpg

and about the same as Harris...

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72368971.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB988010DD0088BD51 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

also are you sure thats him? he wears number 3.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/77431461.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937E7588A1370768CDFBF7589C99D5871F
And he listed bigger then any CB that projected to be drafted in day 1.

adschofield
12-01-2007, 06:19 PM

...plus he's a twig.

That's a picture of him as a Freshman, not a good example of looking like a twig...also have Malcolm Jenkins is pretty skinny as well

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
No, he wasn't...he was nationally recognized as a Freshman...I doubt they would have targeted him, considering there were/are much worse CB's on Kansas

You still haven't given me any reason why he is a bad corner, besides stats from ONE game...Why isn't D-Mac being considered a 3rd round pick after a bad game against FIU
Are you having a problem reading my posts? Every big game that he has had, he's failed in. Nebraska, Kansas St, Missouri

He's bad because he doesn't make a positive impact in big games. He's overrated.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
If you dont include the arms, he looks like the same size as Woodson does...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/dr_z/03/15/mailbag/p1_woodson.jpg

and about the same as Harris...

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72368971.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB988010DD0088BD51 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

also are you sure thats him? he wears number 3.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/77431461.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937E7588A1370768CDFBF7589C99D5871F
And he listed bigger then any CB that projected to be drafted in day 1.
Except... those aren't his arms. LOL. What kind of rebuttle is that? He looks like Vernon Gholston except for his body.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Glenn Dorsey should make a good career back-up by your logic since he's had some bad games during the last part of the season, right?
No. Dorsey didn't prove himself against against C Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, Fla Int'l, Baylor, Colorado, Texas A&M, Iowa St.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 07:59 PM
You cite 3 games (I still think he played ok against MU) in his career as to why he is a bad corner...that's a joke, right
Those were his biggest games of the season. You wanna make him a first rounder based off games against C Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, Fla Int'l, Baylor, Colorado, Texas A&M, Iowa St.???? Talk about a joke... Stop being a homer.

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Those were his biggest games of the season. You wanna make him a first rounder based off games against C Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, Fla Int'l, Baylor, Colorado, Texas A&M, Iowa St.???? Talk about a joke... Stop being a homer.

he not someone you except to start his rookie season but he would be a good nickel guy for 2 years with us and become a starter in his 3rd-4th season. He would learn under Harris and Woodson.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
he not someone you except to start his rookie season but he would be a good nickel guy for 2 years with us and become a starter in his 3rd-4th season. He would learn under Harris and Woodson.
That's fair. You don't need a first rounder to do that though.

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM

name me any other guy who is better then Talib that we can get in the second round or even third as you think Tailb right now is worth a third round grade....

adschofield
12-01-2007, 08:11 PM

I ask you again, what games have you seen Talib in, and how can you make a fair assessment of his performance considering television doesn't allow you to see DB's for the majority of the game

adschofield
12-01-2007, 08:26 PM
I ask you again, what games have you seen Talib in, and how can you make a fair assessment of his performance considering television doesn't allow you to see DB's for the majority of the game

Still waiting...

So why again does just 3 games discount Talib's whole career...where do you think the hype came from in the pre-season?

JhawkFitness
12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
For those citing Talib getting burned by Nelson there are a few factors to consider on that play, among those; If you look at the play you see the 2 players doing a bit of hand-checking, this left Aqib off balance as Nelson caught the ball and headed downfield. Tack on the fact that Nelson has been reported to run in the 4.37 range and I don't think even Maurice Greene catches up to Nelson in that situation.

That being said....

Personally, I think Aqib would benefit from another year in college. He has said he recently he plans on coming back but he also became a father this past year and has a young child to take care of now as well as himself.

BaLLiN
12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/77431461.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937E7588A1370768CDAB69A968644772CA 284831B75F48EF45
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7314800_36_1.jpg
Those are good examples of being a twig.

PTPaQ
12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Are you having a problem reading my posts? Every big game that he has had, he's failed in. Nebraska, Kansas St, Missouri

He's bad because he doesn't make a positive impact in big games. He's overrated.

That basically sums it up.

I personally like Talib, and I think he could be a playmaker in the NFL, but if I'm a GM, he hasnt played enough consistant football in big games for me to take him in the 1st round.

energizerbunny
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM

QFT

Can someone give me atleast one example of a game this year that he has played anywhere near his hype?

If he declares he will get lost in the shuffle, as this is one of the deepest DB years in ages. I also have my doubts he will run in that 4.5 range and very easily could be 4.6 ish after seeing him get beat that bad by a WR who will most likely run in the 4.4-4.45 range. Unfortunately he has to cover WRs that fast every week in the nfl.

As far as playing a bad game or two that is acceptable. However not when your deemed as a 1st round pick and you don't show up in your biggest games. Bad games have ruined prospects before and until Talib proves that what happened vs Neb,KU and Mizzou was a fluke there is no reason to even mention him as a 1st round prospect.

IMO he isn't even worth a first DAY pick. Not this year, not now.

Empire
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Talib has to do that because his upper body is so skinny... actually.. it's his whole body. He's not what you'd call a physical corner, that's for sure.

What are you on crack? Have you ever actually lifted weights in your life? Big muscles do not equal strength at all. Now I don't know a thing about Aqib Talib. Never watched him play, nor do I have interest in the argument about how good he really is. But to pick on him because his arms aren't huge is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard in a long time. Let me repeat, big muscles do not mean lots of strengths. Some of the strongest and fastest people in the world pound for pound are Olympic lifters and they're small. Jesus these are football players, not bodybuilders.

vatech=accdomination
12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
He is the most overated player I have seen this year, he needs to come back next year. D-uNIT nailed it.

adschofield
12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
i'm curious if you actually believe that a player's stock can't slip when he plays poorly against good players just because he played well against terrible players, or if the blinders are just on too tight. i've only seen talib once, so i don't have any stake whatsoever here, but you need to have your head examined if you think those three games can't possibly drop his stock. you have no business discussing football period if you think that playing poorly against every good wr you face is in any vague way comparable to a running back having an off day against a single opponent after playing exceptionally well against multiple other GOOD teams.

I'm not arguing whether his stock his dropping, I'm arguing that he's not a 3rd round pick like D-Unit said...I've always perceived stock as others' perceptions of talent, not talent itself...so I'm arguing that he doesn't have 3rd round talent

thule
12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
The honest truth is Talib is probably somewhere in the middle. Stockwise there isn't really anyone who should be able to be the 2nd corner off the board unless Ike declares and runs like he claims.

We all know that Talib will be in that 4.40 - 4.45 range which is why his stock seems to be about that top 25 right now. He is tall and lanky...came out as a two star prospect and has really came into his own. He is a playmaker and there is a reason Mangino plays him on offense...and a reason he scores almost every time he touches the ball...it's because he is a playmaker. Now this season he isn't putting up the type of numbers that people were expecting....but teams really are avoiding him. I'm not saying they don't look his direction...but any team looking to get some yards isn't going to look his way first. Now if he had a couple bad plays in some big games...yea it might hurt his stock...but lets face it...unless we have coaches tape or are playing QB against him we dont' know what he's doing when he's not on the screen.

So while I don't buy the Charles Woodson comparison as a prospect I do think that he could eventually turn into that type of player. He has shown steady progression every year he has played...and it's a bit unfair to knock him because he got beat a couple of plays in some big games.

If you wanna talk about the Purify TD's he gave up...go back and watch them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XAa0b4baKcY

If you take a look it starts at about 1:00 min...
The first one is right away...Talib has great coverage just a perfect throw.

The next one comes towards the end of the video and you see once again tight coverage by talib...but Purify makes another great catch....there are also two other highlights where you see purify isn't covered by Talib....so I really think we should quit knocking Talib for his play....there are tons of coaches that don't matchup the best CB with the best WR...and whether or not this is the correct thing to do...Talib mainly plays the right corner...which is usually the QB's strong side because of being right handed....so the only way to judge his play is to listen to the guys who get the coaches tape and the QB's...I don't care what anyone says about some play where he got beat.

P-L
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
If you wanna talk about the Purify TD's he gave up...go back and watch them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XAa0b4baKcY

If you take a look it starts at about 1:00 min...
The first one is right away...Talib has great coverage just a perfect throw.
Yeah, I don't think you can hold that specific TD against Talib. That was good coverage, but Ganz threw it to where only Purify could catch it and Maurice made a nice catch.

my future me
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I think people are really discounting Talib for his lack of size. He's 6' 2 and around 200, not as powerful as one would want their #1 corner to be, but surely nothing a top D1 program or an NFL regimen couldn't help. Talib's real talent lies in his headiness. I'm not sure that he shows an extreme talent for intercepting, but his ability to defend the pass is unmatched by any prospect over the last couple of years. He has the abilty to posistion himself on receiver where he can deflect the ball, protect against YAC, and defend himself against Pass Interference calls (which is what really has amazed me this year). He also has a talent for recognizing and blowing up screen plays.

I don't know if his ceilings is as high as Malcolm Jenkins because of his lack of Elite speed or ups, but I do know that at worst he's a damn could nickle corner.

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not arguing whether his stock his dropping, I'm arguing that he's not a 3rd round pick like D-Unit said...I've always perceived stock as others' perceptions of talent, not talent itself...so I'm arguing that he doesn't have 3rd round talent
You need to check your head. I didn't say he would be drafted in Round 3. He'll be drafted higher. That's why I said he's overrated. I said, I'd only be comfortable taking him in the 3rd.

Talib is bad versus above average talent. OK, so guys want to give him a free pass for Purify's 2 TDs verse him. What about the 7 catches for 158 yards??? What are you gonna say? Talib wasn't assigned to him? Then why the hell not??? What about Jordy Nelson's 10 catches for 137 yards and a TD??? What about against Missouri and Jeremy Maclin's 10 catches? Oh Talib wasn't on him? Alexander had 8 catches for 117 and a TD and Saunders had 8 catches for 82 yards. Where was he???

Bottomline Talib the Twig is overrated.

bored of education
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
After the more i watched him I have him as my 7th CB if Ike doesn't declare. (Ike is number 2 or 3 if he declares)

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Godfrey
3. Jenkins
4. Porter
5. Cason
6. Thomas

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
After the more i watched him I have him as my 7th CB if Ike doesn't declare. (Ike is number 2 or 3 if he declares)

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Godfrey
3. Jenkins
4. Porter
5. Cason
6. Thomas
You are the man for ranking Godfrey that high. I love him as a pro prospect as well. Not #2, but yeah, I like what he's done. Another guy I like that's not on your list is Chevis Jackson. Terribly underrated.

bored of education
12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
True Chevis is underrated. With a big NC game and some good post season stuff he could be sniffing early 2nd round maybe better.

genom
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Terrell Thomas is very underrated in my opinion. This draft class could be very deep.

draftguru151
12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
D Unit how much of the Kansas/Mizzou game did you actually pay attention to Talib?

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 08:52 PM
D Unit how much of the Kansas/Mizzou game did you actually pay attention to Talib?
Why don't you tell me what you saw and we can compare. Chase Daniels solidified his Heisman invite after that game. Where was Talib?

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Terrell Thomas is very underrated in my opinion. This draft class could be very deep.
Well, my guess is that the majority of this board thinks of him as a late first rounder, so I don't know if he's THAT underrated. I could see him going mid first to the right team, but not much higher.

SuperKevin
12-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Why don't you tell me what you saw and we can compare. Chase Daniels solidified his Heisman invite after that game. Where was Talib?

It's hard for a single corner to effective stop an offense that generally uses 4 and 5 wide recievers. Ever stop to think that Daniels threw to recievers not being covered by Talib?

draftguru151
12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Talib always lined up in the same spot, LCB. Mizzou moves guys all over the place, especially Maclin. Talib gave up 3 catches for about 25 yards from what I saw, all on comebacks. There was one other play where he got beat off the line and would have given up a longer catch but the safety killed the WR. Other than that Talib didn't give up anything. Daniels tore Kansas' D apart, but it had nothing to do with Talib.

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
It's hard for a single corner to effective stop an offense that generally uses 4 and 5 wide recievers. Ever stop to think that Daniels threw to recievers not being covered by Talib?
I know he did and I know Missouri scripted plays to begin the game to avoid Talib. But this was a chance for Talib to show what he's made out of on a big stage and he didn't show me anything... like at all. He did get thrown on and he didn't defend better than an average corner. He didn't make an impact in the game. So what good can you take away from his performance? I'd like to know that.

People are talking about him as the second best eligible corner. Why is that?

adschofield
12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
You need to check your head. I didn't say he would be drafted in Round 3. He'll be drafted higher. That's why I said he's overrated. I said, I'd only be comfortable taking him in the 3rd.

Talib is bad versus above average talent. OK, so guys want to give him a free pass for Purify's 2 TDs verse him. What about the 7 catches for 158 yards??? What are you gonna say? Talib wasn't assigned to him? Then why the hell not??? What about Jordy Nelson's 10 catches for 137 yards and a TD??? What about against Missouri and Jeremy Maclin's 10 catches? Oh Talib wasn't on him? Alexander had 8 catches for 117 and a TD and Saunders had 8 catches for 82 yards. Where was he???

Bottomline Talib the Twig is overrated.

I never said that you believed he would be selected in the 3rd round, I said that you believed he was third round talent (correct?)...Anyway I think it's well documented through this thread that Talib played good coverage on Purify, but Purify made some great catches. In the 2nd half of the Kansas St. game, Talib shut Nelson down and had the game clinching INT...Against Missouri, Talib didn't give up that many catches, Missouri was avoided him the entire game...Also, since when are corners supposed to be body builders? Malcolm Jenkins is no more built than Talib

D-Unit
12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I never said that you believed he would be selected in the 3rd round, I said that you believed he was third round talent (correct?)...Anyway I think it's well documented through this thread that Talib played good coverage on Purify, but Purify made some great catches. In the 2nd half of the Kansas St. game, Talib shut Nelson down and had the game clinching INT...Against Missouri, Talib didn't give up that many catches, Missouri was avoided him the entire game...Also, since when are corners supposed to be body builders? Malcolm Jenkins is no more built than Talib
You still don't get what I'm saying. Talib may have higher than 3rd round talent, but I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him until the 3rd round area. Why? I think there are better players to be had that are much safer or have higher upside. Talib is terribly unproven. He's got a million excuses going for him. Right now, I don't know for a fact what his true measurables are. All that is to come at the combine. Right now, I see no reason to crown him. I haven't seen him excel versus anybody good.

genom
12-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Well, my guess is that the majority of this board thinks of him as a late first rounder, so I don't know if he's THAT underrated. I could see him going mid first to the right team, but not much higher.

Really? I didn't know that the general consensus on this board was that high on him. I was thinking people were guessing more like middle 2nd to late 2nd.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Thoughts on Talib tonight?

bored of education
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Still A Twig!!!!!!!!

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Thoughts on Talib tonight?

He's completely neutralized his side of the field. I think he may have played himself into the late 1st round if he declared.

badgerbacker
01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll admit I haven't been watching the game too closely, but he did get burned the play after he got the int for the TD. Luckily the WR dropped it.

Anyway, I want to see how he runs at the combine, I've questioned if he actually has the speed to keep up with NFL receivers.

Number 10
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I think Talib could make a solid FS in the NFL. I just don't see the necessary burst for to be a cover corner in the NFL but he has some other tools that can be used in a secondary. In all honestly, I wouldn't be at all upset to see the Giants draft him at 26 for a FS spot.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Love him as a S prospect, hate him as a CB

that play where he got roasted deep (but the WR dropped it) pretty much invalidates any excuses from the Jordy Nelson TD as well

genom
01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Seems like a playmaker with great awareness while the ball's in the air. His physique and strength definitely concerns me though.

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Love him as a S prospect, hate him as a CB

that play where he got roasted deep (but the WR dropped it) pretty much invalidates any excuses from the Jordy Nelson TD as well

I don't even know why people tried to dispute that...Talib got destroyed, plain and simple.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
He's worth a 3rd round pick. I think he'll end up being a solid backup in the NFL.

adschofield
01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
D-Unit, did you watch the Orange Bowl MVP, Mr.Aqib Talib...I thought he didn't show up in big games?

duckseason
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
He's completely neutralized his side of the field. I think he may have played himself into the late 1st round if he declared.

I think NFL scouts are wise enough to not put too much stock into 1 game against an air attack as bad as VT's. If he declared, a solid showing at the combine would be what could put him into the first.

PACKmanN
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
He's worth a 3rd round pick. I think he'll end up being a solid backup in the NFL.

you really hate this guy don't you? he a talented player, and people who are calling his weak, the guy gets involved in tackling.....whats weak about that.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Aqib gets bad rep for not showing up in big games, yet when he shows up in the biggest game of the season people discount that.

MidwayMonster31
01-04-2008, 12:42 AM
He looked great today against a below-average passing offense. He looked pretty good in jumping the route to get that pick 6 and can return kicks. If he runs a very good 40 (<4.45), a Tampa-2 team would use him as a corner or safety, while other teams could use him as a safety.

zCaddyz
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
dude seems like a playmaker and a good tackler, is he good at jamming wr's

thule
01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
All this safety talk is a joke.

He ran a 4.41 this spring...and a 4.43 the previous spring. So just going off of that...it should be no worse than a 4.45 and no better than a 4.39

He is lanky...which is why people say he is built like a twig...has long arms. And has good height for the position..could he use some bulk...sure? But what rookie couldn't.

Some people need to quit drinking D's juice...sure some people might not like him...sure some people think he's the next charles woodson....but the madden moving position talk is just up to the mind.

I mean we've heard rumors about Reggie Smith...but any validation to Talib...or would you guys just like to see him on that madden roster?

D is completely playing down talib...and some people may be over hyping him...but you have to give him his due.

A finalist for the Nagurski Award, Talib led the Big 12 in passes defended for the second year in a row with 17, including four interceptions. In addition to being a lockdown corner, Talib occasionally boosts the Jayhawks on offense, with four touchdowns and a 22.8-yard average on eight receptions.

He Redshirted in 2004
Orange Bowl MVP (2007)
Consensus First-team All-America (2007)
Team Captain (2007)
Playboy Preseason All-America (2007)
Second-team All-America (SI.com) (2006)
All-Big 12 First Team (Coaches, AP, Rivals.com, K.C. Star, Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, Fort Worth Star Telegram) (2006)
Preseason All-Big 12 (2006)
Bronko Nagurski Preseason Watch List (2006)
Freshman All-America (Rivals.com) (2005)
Freshman All-America Second Team (Scout.com) (2005)
All-Big 12 Honorable Mention (Coaches, AP) (2005)
Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year (Fort Worth Star Telegram) (2005)
Freshman All-Big 12 Defensive Back (TSN) (2005)

Were not talking about some scrub that had one good season...we are talking about the back to back college football leader in passes deflected...the downplay on this guy is sickening....is he a top 5 pick...no....but is he some srub that hasn't earned a paycheck I think not.

jasonatchley
01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
i like him. i think he has nice feet and good body control. his size is a plus. his speed looks adequate to me. he looks like a mid-first to mid-second round pick.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
All this safety talk is a joke.

He ran a 4.41 this spring...and a 4.43 the previous spring. So just going off of that...it should be no worse than a 4.45 and no better than a 4.39

He is lanky...which is why people say he is built like a twig...has long arms. And has good height for the position..could he use some bulk...sure? But what rookie couldn't.

Some people need to quit drinking D's juice...sure some people might not like him...sure some people think he's the next charles woodson....but the madden moving position talk is just up to the mind.

I mean we've heard rumors about Reggie Smith...but any validation to Talib...or would you guys just like to see him on that madden roster?

D is completely playing down talib...and some people may be over hyping him...but you have to give him his due.

He Redshirted in 2004
Orange Bowl MVP (2007)
Consensus First-team All-America (2007)
Team Captain (2007)
Playboy Preseason All-America (2007)
Second-team All-America (SI.com) (2006)
All-Big 12 First Team (Coaches, AP, Rivals.com, K.C. Star, Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, Fort Worth Star Telegram) (2006)
Preseason All-Big 12 (2006)
Bronko Nagurski Preseason Watch List (2006)
Freshman All-America (Rivals.com) (2005)
Freshman All-America Second Team (Scout.com) (2005)
All-Big 12 Honorable Mention (Coaches, AP) (2005)
Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year (Fort Worth Star Telegram) (2005)
Freshman All-Big 12 Defensive Back (TSN) (2005)

Were not talking about some scrub that had one good season...we are talking about the back to back college football leader in passes deflected...the downplay on this guy is sickening....is he a top 5 pick...no....but is he some srub that hasn't earned a paycheck I think not.

plain and simple i dont want someone who is a liability against the go route in college playing cb for me in the pros. if some other team wants him to play cb that's fine, they can have him

D-Unit
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
plain and simple i dont want someone who is a liability against the go route in college playing cb for me in the pros. if some other team wants him to play cb that's fine, they can have him
Good point. He also lacks ability to stop the run and in fact shies away from it. He's just too skinny and lanky for me, so safety is definitely out of the question. Lacks fluidity in the hips, fast twitch reflexes and ability to recover once burnt. He has good linear speed, but if he has to change directions, he's toast. At best a serviceable back up in the NFL. Worthy of a 3rd round pick otherwise expect a busted pick.

adschofield
01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Good point. He also lacks ability to stop the run and in fact shies away from it. He's just too skinny and lanky for me, so safety is definitely out of the question. Lacks fluidity in the hips, fast twitch reflexes and ability to recover once burnt. He has good linear speed, but if he has to change directions, he's toast. At best a serviceable back up in the NFL. Worthy of a 3rd round pick otherwise expect a busted pick.

No, he's pretty aggressive in run support...He also has fluid hips, that's why he makes some many break-ups and INT's...Did you watch the game last?, I thought he didn't show up in big games?

D-Unit
01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
No, he's pretty aggressive in run support...He also has fluid hips, that's why he makes some many break-ups and INT's...Did you watch the game last?, I thought he didn't show up in big games?
It's better for him to move to WR in the NFL. He gets break ups because he can jump and has long arms. He is not fluid.

adschofield
01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
It's better for him to move to WR in the NFL. He gets break ups because he can jump and has long arms. He is not fluid.

Did you watch the game last night? Yeesh.

tigerz2350
01-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I watched the game... he had a single pick 6 on a horrible pass, wow! The next play he got burnt for what should have been a touchdown. He has decent speed and good heighth which is the only reason he is rated highly. Anyone remember another overhyped CB out of kansas.... charles gordon ring a bell?

Let´s look at talib:

Burned by Nelson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

At ¨2:40 burned by Purify on a fade, at 3:10 gets COMPLETELY lost and gives up and easy TD to Purify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9A6KhY0RQ

At 3:05 gets burned by Jared Perry (missouri's 7th wide receiver?) on a slant route. At 5:44 leaves Coffman wide open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYkpt15RiQ

At 2:56 gets emberassed on a curl route by Alexander, but saved by his linebacker. At 4:45 loses Franklin after Daniel scrambles, and then fails to tackle Franklin with his scrawny arms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JFnHP0pbs

SuperKevin
01-07-2008, 02:01 AM
I think we can all agree, Talib is much much more suited to be a Cover 2 corner. Let him play zone coverage and be aggressive against the run. Don't ask him to play too much man and let a safety help him on deep routes. Talib will be an NFL CB and a pretty good one at that.

genom
01-07-2008, 02:35 AM

Are you kidding me? Aggressive in run support? More like the guy shows up next to the ball carrier and expects to bring him down by just being in front of him and maybe putting a hand out. I like him as a corner, but aggressive in run support is exaggeration.

ChiefMojo
01-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Haha!!!! I've kept my eye on this thread for awhile now and I was going to stay out of it, but I can't help it anymore. D-Unit is a freaking idiot. He doesn't know squat about Talib.

Talib is likely a mid to late 1st rounder from what most are saying now. Here is a quip from Mel Kiper today....

From Mel Kiper's website:

2. Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas: He's tall (6-foot-1) and athletic (vertical leap over 40 inches), which is what every team wants. He'll be the first cornerback taken and should be a top-10 pick.

My personal opinion is that he will be in the 15-25 range and not slipping past the likes of Green Bay. He is a CLASSIC Cover 2 CB. Very good athlete and a very good tackler, but yes he is no speed burner. With that being said, he is not as slow as D-Unit or some want you to believe. He is actually a mid 4.4 guy (timed that numerous times).

Some seem to forget that the BIG XII was loaded with the best big WR's in the country. The players D-Unit is crying about Talib getting beat by are NFL caliber WR's. You can't win them all. His comparison to Charles Woodson is pretty darn close.

I'm gonna sit back and laugh when Aqib gets taken in the first round and not the 3rd round D-Unit thinks. haha This thread is funny as all get out.