PDA

View Full Version : 2008 CB Crop

foozball
12-01-2007, 01:53 AM
This particular crop of CB's is one of the deepest I've seen in some time. It might not have the star power at the top, but there isnt much separation in talent in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Malcolm and Mike Jenkins will fight to be the top CB taken, but I think Malcolm will end up going 1st because he'll put up better measurables and he comes from a more prestigious school.

On to my question...rank the top 15 CB's and make an educated guess on which round they'll go. I assume Jenkins, Talib, and Reggie Smith will declare.

SuperKevin
12-01-2007, 01:58 AM
This particular crop of CB's is one of the deepest I've seen in some time. It might not have the star power at the top, but there isnt much separation in talent in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Malcolm and Mike Jenkins will fight to be the top CB taken, but I think Malcolm will end up going 1st because he'll put up better measurables and he comes from a more prestigious school.

On to my question...rank the top 15 CB's and make an educated guess on which round they'll go. I assume Jenkins, Talib, and Reggie Smith will declare.

I'm not going into a top 15 but I'll say Brandon Flowers will be up there fighting for that top CB spot as well

thule
12-01-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm not going into a top 15 but I'll say Brandon Flowers will be up there fighting for that top CB spot as well

I think your a tad too high on Flowers...he might not even be the best CB on his team.

However he is probably the better pro prospect of the two.

While Flowers is great in soft coverage...he gets sloppy once a WR gets into his hips...while this isn't a huge problem...Flowers doesn't have the smooth hips that some of the smaller corners do. He would really thrive in a scheme where the corners get to sit back and read. One team to watch who does this alot is the Dallas Cowboys....they will start about 8 yards back and roll coverage up or press at the LOS and bail before the snap...this is a situation where he would really excel...but I just don't think he has the ceiling to warrant a first round selection.

D-Unit
12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing Flowers will be a third round pick.

T.Smith
12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Malcolm Jenkins and Jack Ikegwuonu have big time star power IMO.

thule
12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Malcolm Jenkins and Jack Ikegwuonu have big time star power IMO.

If Ike runs those crazy 40 numbers like speculation point too...he could very well be in the top 15 range...I still don't know if he could go over Talib and Jenkins tho.

thule
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm guessing Flowers will be a third round pick.

To the right team that'd be a steal. Flowers might have the quickest first step of all the corners...add that to the fact that he is extremely physical, he could be dangerous if used correctly.

P-L
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM

1. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State - Top 10
2. Aqib Talib, Kansas - Top 25
3. Antoine Cason, Arizona - 1st Round
4. Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin - Late 1st / Early 2nd
5. Mike Jenkins, South Florida - Late 1st / Early 2nd
6. Reggie Smith, Oklahoma - Late 1st / Early 2nd (Ranks higher as a Free Safety rather than Cornerback)
7. Tracy Porter, Indiana - Late 1st / Mid 2nd
8. Chevis Jackson, Louisiana State - 2nd Round
9. Terrell Thomas, Southern California - 2nd Round
10. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech - Late 2nd / Early 3rd
11. Justin King, Penn State - Late 2nd / Early 3rd
12. Dwight Lowery, San Jose State - Late 2nd / Early 3rd
13. DeJaun Tribble, Boston College - 3rd or 4th Round
14. Victor "Macho" Harris, Virginia Tech - 3rd or 4th Round
15. Zachary Bowman, Nebraska - 3rd or 4th Round

The difference between #4 and #7 is very minimal, as is the difference between #9 and #12.

wiscbadgerfootball
12-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I would almost definitely bet that Ikegwuonu stays at Wisconsin for his senior year.

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Shortlist and random thoughts:

1. Malcolm Jenkins - Top 10.
2. Aqib Talib - Mid-first.
3. Mike Jenkins - Late first.
4. Jack Ikegwuonu - Late first.

That's my first tier. After that, it's a mixed bag of Charles Godfrey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers, Antoine Cason, Reggie Smith, Dwight Lowery, DeJuan Tribble (rough order, but certainly fluid) and a few other guys.

To be honest, I don't love Malcolm Jenkins. If I was chancing it on any corner in this draft, I think it'd be Mike Jenkins. That said, I think it'll be hard for anyone to push Malcolm out of that top slot. I can see 2-4 being mixed up in a different order depending on 40 times.

I like Brandon Flowers. but for some reason, I somewhat think Ronde Barber, and that's both a positive and a negative. I think he could develop into an excellent cornerback, but I'm not sure his draft value is high enough to really push into the mid-first range. Late first I can see.

I'm not sure who the 5th guy is on my list. I've gone through a litany of it, and the end conclusion for now is that I think it may depend on the team that's drafting.

Am I the only one that isn't huge on Reggie Smith as a first rounder? I see all this love for him, and I don't see the translatable elite corner skills to warrant a first rounder, and his safety skills aren't so dominant for me to think he's a first round lock. I guess I can see late first.

P-L
12-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I feel ashamed that I left Godfrey and Rodgers-Cromartie off m list.

ironman4579
12-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I would almost definitely bet that Ikegwuonu stays at Wisconsin for his senior year.

I read something that said a "source" (so could be completely made up, but whatever) said that both he and Beckum said they are going to be back at Wisconsin next year. If so that's good news for the Badgers, bad news for my Wolverines.

EDIT:Then again, they both have, or are, submitting there paperwork to the draft advisory panel. Not that that means anything though.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/259836

wiscbadgerfootball
12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
in general, the Badgers are very good at getting their players back

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Beckum should stay. I'm not sure what he is to be honest. I haven't heard anyone suggest that he can bulk up much more. I really wonder if he's better off trying to be a big possession receiver.

wiscbadgerfootball
12-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Beckum really has a lot to gain by staying. I think if he works out hard and gains at least 15 pounds, he can really solidify himself as one of the elite tight ends. As of now, some seem to consider him a slot receiver.

OhioState
12-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Shortlist and random thoughts:

1. Malcolm Jenkins - Top 10.
2. Aqib Talib - Mid-first.
3. Mike Jenkins - Late first.
4. Jack Ikegwuonu - Late first.

That's my first tier. After that, it's a mixed bag of Charles Godfrey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers, Antoine Cason, Reggie Smith, Dwight Lowery, DeJuan Tribble (rough order, but certainly fluid) and a few other guys.

To be honest, I don't love Malcolm Jenkins. If I was chancing it on any corner in this draft, I think it'd be Mike Jenkins. That said, I think it'll be hard for anyone to push Malcolm out of that top slot. I can see 2-4 being mixed up in a different order depending on 40 times.

I like Brandon Flowers. but for some reason, I somewhat think Ronde Barber, and that's both a positive and a negative. I think he could develop into an excellent cornerback, but I'm not sure his draft value is high enough to really push into the mid-first range. Late first I can see.

I'm not sure who the 5th guy is on my list. I've gone through a litany of it, and the end conclusion for now is that I think it may depend on the team that's drafting.

Am I the only one that isn't huge on Reggie Smith as a first rounder? I see all this love for him, and I don't see the translatable elite corner skills to warrant a first rounder, and his safety skills aren't so dominant for me to think he's a first round lock. I guess I can see late first.

what don't you like about Malcolm Jenkins, i'm just wondering?

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
what don't you like about Malcolm Jenkins, i'm just wondering?

This may sound crazy, but there's times when I think he looks a tad stiff (relatively speaking that is, I'm more drawing a line towards what I expect from elite, top of the first corners). I'm not sure what the numbers will show on the agility drills, but dunno, just times when I feel he's a tad, and emphasis on tad, stiff to be a top 10 corner, potential top 5 pick.

Don't get me wrong - I still think he's an excellent corner prospect (I've still got him as a top 5 pick). And considering how much respect he garnered, that could certainly be an explanatory factor. Just a nagging feeling in me that wonders if Malcolm Jenkins is an elite corner, which is what the expectations would obviously be if he were drafted as high as most think.

T.Smith
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
This may sound crazy, but there's times when I think he looks a tad stiff (relatively speaking that is, I'm more drawing a line towards what I expect from elite, top of the first corners). I'm not sure what the numbers will show on the agility drills, but dunno, just times when I feel he's a tad, and emphasis on tad, stiff to be a top 10 corner, potential top 5 pick.

Don't get me wrong - I still think he's an excellent corner prospect (I've still got him as a top 5 pick). And considering how much respect he garnered, that could certainly be an explanatory factor. Just a nagging feeling in me that wonders if Malcolm Jenkins is an elite corner, which is what the expectations would obviously be if he were drafted as high as most think.

Only thing I don't like about Malcolm(this may be what your talking about)
Is that when he is chasing a player(say a RB run the opposite side as Malcolm and breaks one off, and Malcolm gives chase) He runs a tad bit weird, upright I guess, he still normally always catches up to them, but it never looks like he is running fast. But when a player is in front of him it's a different story.

But Malcolm stick man coverage is un-believable. He completly takes a WR out of the game. When a QB is looking for someone to throw to, once glance at Malcolms man, and they see he is coverd and don't even think about throwing his way.

PACKmanN
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

If Reggie Smith or Aqib Talib stays for one more year than Ikwgwuonu should come out. I doubt Reggie Smith comes out, unless they win the BCS.

wiscbadgerfootball
12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
In the last 17 years only 4 players have left Wisconsin with eligibility remaining.

johbur
12-02-2007, 11:04 PM
In the last 17 years only 4 players have left Wisconsin with eligibility remaining.

Props for the nice stat. I'd like to see Ikegwuonu come out and the Packers take him late R1. That he's likely to stay in evidently paralleded by the Packers not taking many UW players. Missing on Chambers for Fergie still irks me.