PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan

metafour
12-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Now has 11 TDs vs 11 INTs in his last 6 games. I get that he has pretty impressive physical tools, but it seems like every time I've seen BC play this year he appears to make some really poor decisions with the ball. Ever since his Heisman hype (after his early hot start) he seems to have gotten way too cocky regarding his arm. His stock has to have slipped, I dont think he's a guaranteed future franchise QB at all.

lod01
12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
He's got really weak WRs. I am moving him ahead of Brohm into the #1 QB spot myself.

BamaFalcon59
12-01-2007, 04:15 PM
He reminds me of Ben Roethlisburger in the sense that he can break tackles and can make plays outside of the pocket. The big difference is while Ben takes sacks generally when nothing is there Ryan either makes a play or is intercepted. And in the NFL there won't always be open short. I don't like that he doesn't push the ball downfield much.

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't really see anything special in him... I think he is way overrated.

SenorGato
12-01-2007, 04:22 PM

QFT.

I remember he threw a deep ball this year against GT or someone and people were like zomg he proves he got an NFL arm...that was a CRAPPY deep ball man. It was all wobbly and shenz.

I like Ainge better honestly. Such an underrated prospect...

Babylon
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Keep everything in the perspective of his receivers being very average, if that.

toonsterwu
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
To be honest, none of the top tier QB's are all that interesting. I personally like Woodson the best out of the top tier, but he's got a lot of work to do. I still believe that someone like Joe Flacco or Josh Johnson could end up being the best QB of the crop.

Matthew Jones
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
To be honest, none of the top tier QB's are all that interesting. I personally like Woodson the best out of the top tier, but he's got a lot of work to do. I still believe that someone like Joe Flacco or Josh Johnson could end up being the best QB of the crop.

I don't think interesting is really the right word there - I think it's a pretty interesting battle in that there is no consensus #1, #2, etc., and people can argue for who they feel is the best. None of the players are as good or exciting as Leinart/Young/Cutler, but the debate could end up being similar to that.

12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
from what ive seen lately from him he looks from far from being NFL-ready and will need to sit behind someone for 2-3 years. the only QB in this draft that you could argue is NFL-ready is andre woodson.

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 05:25 PM

I'm thinking more like Ainge could end up being the best one... and if he wins tonight his stock would rise quite a bit, I believe.

BamaFalcon59
12-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I like...

1. Brian Brohm, QB Louisville
2t. Andre' Woodson, QB Kentucky
2t. Erik Ainge, QB Tennessee
4. Chad Henne, QB Michigan
5. Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii
6. Sam Keller, QB Nebraska
7. Matt Ryan, QB Boston College

12-01-2007, 05:35 PM
I like...

1. Brian Brohm, QB Louisville
2t. Andre' Woodson, QB Kentucky
2t. Erik Ainge, QB Tennessee
4. Chad Henne, QB Michigan
5. Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii
6. Sam Keller, QB Nebraska
7. Matt Ryan, QB Boston College

i dont think matt ryan deserved to fall out of the top 3. unless something happens during the senior bowl or combine the top 3 so-called "franchise" QBs in this draft are pretty much etched in stone. erik ainge would need to have the best game of his career tonight to even be mentioned amongst the others ahead of him right now on most peoples boards.

Billingsley26
12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm thinking more like Ainge could end up being the best one... and if he wins tonight his stock would rise quite a bit, I believe.

I agree with you.

I am leaning more and more with Erik Ainge. I think he is going to be the best of the bunch. He has the height and size to be great. I think he carries the intangibles to be great as well. As of right now my top 5 QB's are:

1. Erik Ainge
2. Andre Woodson
3. Brian Brohm
4. Matt Ryan
5. Colt Brennan

fenikz
12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
If I'm a team like the Panthers who has a good QB in Delhomme but may be looking for a Franchise QB i avoid picking any of the big 3 with my 1st and go with BPA, guys like Ainge, Brennan, Flacco seem like just as good of an option while only costing a 2nd or 3rd

metafour
12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Eric Ainge definitely didn't help himself tonight, he basically single-handedly lost that game.

12-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I agree with you.

I am leaning more and more with Erik Ainge. I think he is going to be the best of the bunch. He has the height and size to be great. I think he carries the intangibles to be great as well. As of right now my top 5 QB's are:

1. Erik Ainge
2. Andre Woodson
3. Brian Brohm
4. Matt Ryan
5. Colt Brennan

i think you better update those rankings now..

Babylon
12-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Eric Ainge definitely didn't help himself tonight, he basically single-handedly lost that game.

I dont think he lost the game for them but this overreaction to every game as to how these guys are ranked is rediculous. Matt Ryan is a great QB with basically no running game and marginal receivers. He doesnt have nearly the wideouts that kentucky, Tennessee or Louisville has. Thankfully i think NFL scouts are a little less fickle than those on this site.

diabsoule
12-01-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm right there with you. I consider him a 2nd Rounder in this year's draft.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
And Erik Ainge replaces Matt Ryan as the massively overhyped QB who should be a mid round prospect...

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
And Erik Ainge replaces Matt Ryan as the massively overhyped QB who should be a mid round prospect...

Nah... not after tonight.

metafour
12-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I dont think he lost the game for them

They were up by 1 and LSU's offense wasn't doing much of anything, deep in his own territory Ainge makes a terrible read and throws a pick-6. On fourth down on the following drive he had a man open for a first down but threw it behind him. After getting another chance he gets lucky on the long screen pass to Foster (the play before Ainge made a terrible read and threw to the RB for like a 7 yard loss) and gets position deep inside LSU' territory where he proceeds to make another terrible read and lets a linebacker pick him off. If thats not losing the game then I dont know what is.

Matt Ryan is a great QB with basically no running game and marginal receivers. He doesnt have nearly the wideouts that kentucky, Tennessee or Louisville has. Thankfully i think NFL scouts are a little less fickle than those on this site.

Please, Boston College's passing offense is 7th (much higher than Kentucky) in the country and their total offense is 25th (also higher than Kentucky). Boston College has 3 receivers with 50+ receptions (4 if you count the RB) this year and the runningback has 1500 all purpose yards (rushing + receiving) and 13 total touchdowns. There are PLENTY of quarterbacks with less options, and its not like Ryan is playing against SEC opposition like Woodson either.

Where was all this whining about BC's receivers when Ryan was in the running for Heisman? Let me guess, back then it was all him but now its all the receivers faults? Besides, what do the receivers have to do with him making absolutely terrible decisions (which this is about if you haven't noticed)? Its not like his picks are coming on plays where the receivers are tipping the ball to defenders, the majority of them are just bad decisions by Ryan.

As for your comment about judging these guys after one game...Ryan has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio over the past 6 games. This is a guy who is a supposed Top 5 pick? Somehow I think that scouts are going to be a bit fickle when they see Ryan crash and burn like he has the second half of this season. To me this is a situation where he came into this season underhyped, blew up early and then got overrated really quickly (#1 QB, Top 3 pick, etc). You cant look past the obvious mistakes he's shown, NFL defenses are going to pick him apart if he attempts some of the passes he's attempting on the collegiate level. He has the tools but lets face it, so do several QBs each year. I'd rank Ryan as a late first round value, he has yet to show that he is a cant miss franchise QB.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Nah... not after tonight.

oh, he had a bad day? Sadly I haven't been able to watch many of the games today

Xonraider
12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
oh, he had a bad day? Sadly I haven't been able to watch many of the games today

20 for 40, 2 ints... he threw the game sealing INT at like the LSU 20 yard line..

Redskins4Bowl26
12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
After watching him today. He sounds and acts like a total d***. A future bust waiting in the wings the idiot.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
They were up by 1 and LSU's offense wasn't doing much of anything, deep in his own territory Ainge makes a terrible read and throws a pick-6. On fourth down on the following drive he had a man open for a first down but threw it behind him. After getting another chance he gets lucky on the long screen pass to Foster (the play before Ainge made a terrible read and threw to the RB for like a 7 yard loss) and gets position deep inside LSU' territory where he proceeds to make another terrible read and lets a linebacker pick him off. If thats not losing the game then I dont know what is.

Please, Boston College's passing offense is 7th (much higher than Kentucky) in the country and their total offense is 25th (also higher than Kentucky). Boston College has 3 receivers with 50+ receptions (4 if you count the RB) this year and the runningback has 1500 all purpose yards (rushing + receiving) and 13 total touchdowns. There are PLENTY of quarterbacks with less options, and its not like Ryan is playing against SEC opposition like Woodson either.

Where was all this whining about BC's receivers when Ryan was in the running for Heisman? Let me guess, back then it was all him but now its all the receivers faults? Besides, what do the receivers have to do with him making absolutely terrible decisions (which this is about if you haven't noticed)? Its not like his picks are coming on plays where the receivers are tipping the ball to defenders, the majority of them are just bad decisions by Ryan.

As for your comment about judging these guys after one game...Ryan has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio over the past 6 games. This is a guy who is a supposed Top 5 pick? Somehow I think that scouts are going to be a bit fickle when they see Ryan crash and burn like he has the second half of this season. To me this is a situation where he came into this season underhyped, blew up early and then got overrated really quickly (#1 QB, Top 3 pick, etc). You cant look past the obvious mistakes he's shown, NFL defenses are going to pick him apart if he attempts some of the passes he's attempting on the collegiate level. He has the tools but lets face it, so do several QBs each year. I'd rank Ryan as a late first round value, he has yet to show that he is a cant miss franchise QB.

First off without looking it up who are his wide receivers, i dont blame you if you dont know because they arent very good. Give him Florida's receivers or SC's receivers or even Kentucky or Louisville then he's not throwing for 4k yds he's throwing for 5k. I'm not going to make excuses for interceptions, some of which came in some bad weather but dont say he is going to be a late 1st pick because that isnt going to happen.

metafour
12-01-2007, 09:13 PM
but dont say he is going to be a late 1st pick because that isnt going to happen.

Why? Please tell me why a QB who just put up 11 TDs/11 INTs in his last 6 games deserves to be anything more than a late first round pick? BC's finish to this season has been disappointing to say the least, and much of that is due to Ryan's struggles.

Brady Quinn wasn't going to be a late first round pick either, what happened there? In a year where there are no elite QBs and three almost interchangeable prospects at the top I find this comment to be ridiculous. Going into this season Brohm was the consensus #1 overall pick almost everywhere...what happened there? If you truly believe that Ryan's position is set in stone then you are sadly mistaken.

Babylon
12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Why? Please tell me why a QB who just put up 11 TDs/11 INTs in his last 6 games deserves to be anything more than a late first round pick? BC's finish to this season has been disappointing to say the least, and much of that is due to Ryan's struggles.

Brady Quinn wasn't going to be a late first round pick either, what happened there? In a year where there are no elite QBs and three almost interchangeable prospects at the top I find this comment to be ridiculous. Going into this season Brohm was the consensus #1 overall pick almost everywhere...what happened there? If you truly believe that Ryan's position is set in stone then you are sadly mistaken.

You seem to have it in for Matt Ryan, that's fine it just means you are going to be dissapointed on draft day. Ints arent all on the QB, sometimes balls get tipped, some are dropped.....keep thinking Ryan is going to slide to the end of round 1, you're going to be dissapointed.

princefielder28
12-01-2007, 10:09 PM

I definitely have to agree with you on the fact that Woodson is the best of the top tier and I have a big thing for Joe Flacco as of late and he has risen in my mind quite a way in just a few weeks after getting to see him play

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Did anyone see Erik Ainge play 2day that has him rated the top rated qb?? He made some terrible reads in crucial moments, I dont see an NFL qb making those same reads...They werent even tough plays, he just made bad reads and threw two horrible passes that cost them the game, what makes people think that will change?

i can understand bad throws, or trying to make something happen, but not reading the defense and throwing bad passes in crunch time, something about that doesnt strike me as a great nfl prospect...

SchizophrenicBatman
12-01-2007, 10:53 PM
20 for 40, 2 ints... he threw the game sealing INT at like the LSU 20 yard line..

honestly that's better for his career IMO. No hype for beating LSU and going to the BCS, etc = not being overdrafted and expected to save a franchise

both Ryan and Ainge have upside as NFL QBs, but neither are guys who are anywhere near good enough to have the weight of a top 10 pick thrust on them. it would be alex smith 1 TD vs a bunch of INTs all over again their first year

BamaFalcon59
12-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont think he lost the game for them but this overreaction to every game as to how these guys are ranked is rediculous. Matt Ryan is a great QB with basically no running game and marginal receivers. He doesnt have nearly the wideouts that kentucky, Tennessee or Louisville has. Thankfully i think NFL scouts are a little less fickle than those on this site.

For what it's worth I've always disliked Ryan as a prospect.

But Ainge definitely moves down for me. I like his physical tools and he looks great at times, but his performance against LSU reminded me of his inconsistency and the turnover problem that Ryan also has.

Frankly, I don't like this QB crop much except Brian Brohm and maybe Andre Woodson. Every other QB is mostly potential.

cowboysforever
12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Brohm does look like Kelly ... I like him but the rest are really bad IMHO.

Sadly Ryan reminds me of Kerry Collins. Woodson similar.

If drafting potential, give me Kyle Wright. He looks like a Pro QB and he has had possibly the worst coaching in a Big Time program I can imagine.

geaux tigers
12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Scott might have to make revisions to his scouting reports...

if Quinn can slip, surely Ryan can slip even further..

Texas Homer
12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I think Woodson is the 1st QB taken.

I think Ryan gets picked in the 1st round.

I Erik Ainge cost himself some money with his last game.

volman88
02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I dont understand why the number one rated quarterback in the draft is also the 2nd leading quarterback in interceptions in all of division 1 college football.

OVERRATED

San Diego Chicken
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Brohm will make the best NFL QB, but I like alot of the things Matt Ryan offers, he's a good pocket passer with good leadership and I think he has the mentality and toughness for the position you look for. He played in an NFL system and he's got the mettle to make NFL style throws. He's dangerously close to a gunslinger, which is the type of QB I don't think works in the NFL anymore, but if he's put in a situation where he's not a volume passer anymore I think those will go down.

Thunder&Lightning
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I think Brohm will make the best NFL QB, but I like alot of the things Matt Ryan offers, he's a good pocket passer with good leadership and I think he has the mentality and toughness for the position you look for. He played in an NFL system and he's got the mettle to make NFL style throws. He's dangerously close to a gunslinger, which is the type of QB I don't think works in the NFL anymore, but if he's put in a situation where he's not a volume passer anymore I think those will go down.

Agree i think gunslingers dont work in the NFL anymore. THey are QB's that have total confidence in there arm to try and force throws. Ryan I believe thinks he is a gunslinger but isnt having to much confidence in his arm. He is a great leader and probably always was playing with an injury. Toughness and leadership are superior. All in all i take brohm over ryan because of his physical tools IMO.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2008, 09:40 AM
look at Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman to see how gunslinger QB's do in the NFL.

NIN1984
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM

I agree, I have always like Brohm the best. I think he is going to be a good NFL QB for a long time. I honestly believe Brohm is the most NFL ready and could play in his rookie year and be productive.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Agree i think gunslingers dont work in the NFL anymore. THey are QB's that have total confidence in there arm to try and force throws. Ryan I believe thinks he is a gunslinger but isnt having to much confidence in his arm. He is a great leader and probably always was playing with an injury. Toughness and leadership are superior. All in all i take brohm over ryan because of his physical tools IMO.

Ryan's a gunslinger without gunslinger tools... BAD COMBO lol