PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Mock of the Season

Paranoidmoonduck
12-02-2007, 05:00 AM
After much procrastination, another mock draft is finally here.A new order, new picks, new look. Post away

1) Miami Dolphins: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

This has difficult pick to predict all season, because Miami hasn’t appeared to be a perfect fit with any prospect to date, and they seem to have a strangle hold on this spot in the draft. I don’t buy Darren McFadden just yet (at least until Ronnie Brown’s injury looks more desperate) and I don’t think that a defensive schematic change is necessarily in the works, which makes Glenn Dorsey an awkward pick. I’m not sold that Long is a truly elite offensive tackle prospect, nor am I sure he’ll be a great left tackle at the next level, but I think that if he puts up the kind of offseason he’s capable of (starting off with a dominant senior bowl), he could wind up being worth this kind of pick.

2) New England Patriots (from San Francisco): Chris Long, DE/LB, Virginia

I don’t really buy that Long is all that great a fit for playing defensive end in a 34 defense, at least without packing on some pounds, but on a defense that loves big linebackers with defensive line experience, I can easily see Long playing well. He moves well in space and could potentially move even better if he could get down into the 260 range. I definitely think that New England is going to try and move down, but in the likely situation that they are unable to (at least without taking less value), Long is the kind of worker and talent that they would probably be willing to spend the money on.

3) Oakland Raiders: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

With Howie’s boy gone, this is an easy choice. The Raider’s run game has shown flashes here and there, but with Russell due to step in next year, a consistent running game needs to be found. Justin Fargas has been a nice player, but it’s safe to say that McFadden would be a big upgrade. Although I think he has some concerns, such as ball security, McFadden is an immediate impact player for an offense that needs it, and he has the kind of college career and physical attributes to catch Al Davis’ attention.

4) Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

I think it’s fairly evident that neither Joey Harrington nor Byron Leftwich are the long terms answers for the Falcons. I don’t buy the Petrino/Brohm connection to be as deciding a factor as some people think, and I think Ryan is probably in the best position to establish himself as the #1 quarterback come April. I don’t necessarily think that Atlanta is going to target a quarterback first and foremost, but with Jake Long and Darren McFadden, two potential impact players for Petrino’s power running game, already off the board, I think Ryan is the best pick.

5) Cincinnati Bengals: Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State

Cincinnati has struggled with consistency on both sides of the ball this year, but their defense is the obvious weak link on that team. Ranking among the worst defenses in the NFL so far this season, they stand to get even worse this offseason with the potential departure of defensive end Aaron Smith. A lot of dramatic things have been said about Dorsey this season, and while I think that many of them might go a big overboard, he is a very disruptive defensive tackle who would make a huge impact on a defense that needs to make a major turn around if that team wants to contend.

6) New York Jets: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

Coach Mangini and the Jets seem absolutely dedicated to running a 34 defense despite a general lack of the proper personnel. Fortifying that front 7 with the proper players is a must, and Laurinaitis is a big step towards that. Although a rushing outside linebacker (like perhaps a Vernon Gholston) might be a bigger need, Laurinaitis could play outside linebacker on the strongside or even kick inside to play alongside David Harris should the Jets ever trade Jonathan Vilma. I don’t hold Laurinaitis in the same regard as some others, but in a weak draft like this I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go this high.

7) Baltimore Ravens: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

Quarterback play for Baltimore has been pitiful this season, and with Steve McNair looking over the hill and Kyle Boller looking like a career backup, a quarterback of the future is probably at the top of Baltimore’s list. Andre Woodson’s stock has taken a hit in recent weeks due to inconsistent play, but there’s no denying his physical tool set or his potential.

St. Louis Rams: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
St. Louis looked terrible early in the season, but as they’ve gotten healthier they’ve looks considerably better. However, a major area of concern has to be their offensive line which has struggled and stands to loose franchise tackle Orlando Pace in the near future. Clady has a big frame and excellent feet, and his ceiling will help mask the fact that he hasn’t been the most consistent player this season.

9) Kansas City Chiefs: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

I’m tempted to go offensive line here, but I have a hard time picturing the Chiefs passing on a talent like Jenkins at a spot where he’ll likely be considered a very nice value. I’m not sure I buy the talk that Jenkins is a true shutdown corner, but he’s a talented cover man with good instincts who’s practically made teams avoid his altogether at the college level.

10) Minnesota Vikings: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
Although most think that a quarterback is on the docket for the Vikes, it appears that Brad Childress seems dedicated to sticking with Tavarous Jackson, who comes off a decent start last week. I don’t think it’s particularly likely that Childress gets the boot in the offseason, and therefore I would be surprised to see the Vikings try and upgrade their offensive line in the interest of supporting Adrian Peterson. Right tackle Ryan Cook is the weakest link an offensive line that has played admirably, and the monstrous Otah would be a considerable upgrade. Otah’s stock skyrocketed after a nice performance against Chris Long, but I’m still not sure he’s an NFL left tackle (and his very poor game against South Florida and George Selvie doesn’t help).

11) Carolina Panthers: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

I think it’s fairly easy to say by now that David Carr is a poor option under center, and, while the team has other holes (Kenny Phillips would be immensely tempting here), I can’t imagine the Panthers can move on without improving their quarterback situation. Brohm’s stock has never quite matched where some were predicting it would a few years ago, but he is a very solid prospect who, if called upon, would be a decent option to start from week 1.

12) New Orleans Saints: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California

The entire Saint’s defense has struggled this year, due in no small part to a lack of a pass rush. Their defensive end duo of Will Smith and Charles Grant is talented, but without an inside force at defensive tackle to take the occasional double team, they have trouble getting free. Ellis is a short, heavy, and immensely strong lineman who is equally effective and plugging a hole as he is getting after the quarterback.

13) Houston Texans: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

The duo of CC Brown and Von Hutchins could certainly stand an upgrade, and Phillips is definitely a step towards that. Although Phillips has struggled this year (along with the rest of the Miami defense), he was one of the best defensive players in the country in 2006 and has the instincts and ability to play all over the defensive secondary.

14) Buffalo Bills: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

The Bills have gone defensive line in the first round fairly recently, but their starting defensive line has tallied only 5 sacks on the year, and their defense still lacks a true speed rusher. Gholston has also been talked about as an outside linebacker, but he has plenty of experience playing with his hand in the ground, and he definitely strong enough.

15) Philadelphia Eagles: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Whether the Eagles proceed with Donovan McNabb as their starter next year or not, I think it’s evident that another pass catcher out there would be useful. Oklahoma’s offense has been inconsistent this season, and Kelly’s numbers have reflected that, but he’s still a big and tall receiver with great body control and hands. Depending on how he runs he could very well be the top wideout come April.

16) Denver Broncos: Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California

The likelihood of this move rests on how willing the Broncos are to lock DJ Williams into the middle linebacker role, but with Laurinaitis off the board I think that Rivers is easily the best linebacker available and he fills a big defensive hole.

17) Chicago Bears: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Even if Cedric Benson’s surgery goes well, I’d be surprised if the Bears are comfortable entering the season without some more talent at the position. I think that the Bears opt for the very athletic Stewart, who could be a feature back for them if Benson continues to go nowhere.

1 Tennessee Titans: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State

Vince Young has taken a lot of heat this year, but I think that the Titans management put him in a very tough situation by taking away almost of his targets. Drafting a wideout like Bowman would be an important step in giving Young some more talent, and, while Bowman season was cut short by an injury, he has produced as consistently as any other wideout in the country and has impressive physical tools.

19) Arizona Cardinals: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

The Cardinals could certainly use a rushing linebacker for their 34 defense, but I’m not yet sold that Quentin Groves can propel his stock this high, nor am I sure that Derrick Harvey is really suited to playing upright, but with the distinct possibility that Antrel Rolle ends up shifting over to free safety, I think the Cardinals opt for a good man to man cover corner. Talib isn’t explosively fast, but he’s one of the best cover corners in the nation, and his playmaking nature would be a boost to that defense.

20) Seattle Seahawks: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Shaun Alexander is on the decline, and I can’t imagine that that Seahawks are particularly comfortable with Maurice Morris as their runningback of the future. Mendenhall has improved his stock drastically this year, and with a solid offseason performance could wind up being the 2nd overall runningback off the board.

21) Washington Redskins: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

I’ve projected the Redskins to draft a 1st round lineman for what seems like years now, and it hasn’t happened yet. However, even with the reemergence of Andre Carter, they could still use more talent on the line. Harvey’s stock depends on who you ask, but if he times well he’ll be one of the best pass rushing options in the draft.

22) Detroit Lions: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

The Lions offense definitely seems to be back on track, so you imagine they’ll be looking to bolster their defense. An edge rusher would be nice, but I think a cornerback like Jenkins wins out here. Able to supply help in the defensive secondary and on special teams, Jenkins would be the first step towards fixing the 31st ranked pass defense in the NFL.

23) Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland): Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

During the last draft, all the talk regarding Dallas’ acquisition of Cleveland’s 2008 1st round pick centered around Darren McFadden. Even with that in mind, I can’t imagine that the Cowboys would feel bad about drafting the man behind McFadden the depth chart. Jones is a very quick back who would be an excellent counter balance to Marion Barber in that Cowboy backfield.

24) San Diego Chargers: Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
It will be interesting to see what positions the Chargers target this offseason, but Jamal Williams in already past 30 and should anything happen to him, the Chargers have no one to fill arguably the most important spot on their defense. Dre Moore has improved his play drastically this season and has the frame to get much bigger.

25) New York Giants: Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma

Aaron Ross has played tremendously his rookie season, but the Giants could still use more help in their secondary. Smith has value both as a cornerback and a safety, giving the Giants some more options in how they line up their defense.

26) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

Cherilus’ stock has taken a hit in the past month or so, and there are serious questions as to whether he is a legitimate left tackle. That said, if there is a secondary tier of offensive tackles (the first containing Long, Clady, and maybe Otah), Cherilus is definitely near the top of that 2nd tier.

27) Pittsburgh Steelers: Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin
The Steelers missed out on Darelle Revis last draft when the Jets jumped ahead of them, but I don’t think they miss out on another speedy, tough corner. Ikegwuono started the season a bit rough but has been playing about as well as any corner in the nation recently.

2 Jacksonville Jaguars: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn

The Jaguars interior line is one of the best in the league, but some speed at defensive end is needed, and there aren’t many faster than Groves. Although hampered by injury this year and being smaller than your average defensive end, Groves is a tremendous athlete, who, if he posts a 40-time in the 4.4 range, could be selected considerably higher than this.

29) San Francisco (from Indianapolis): Early Doucet, WR, Louisiana State

San Francisco has more problems on offense than just at wide receiver, but a big step in turning around Alex Smith’s career is going to be giving him talented targets. Doucet has not emerged like I was expecting him to this season, but he can still jump out of the building and having a wide receiver who can go up and get it would only help Alex Smith.

30) Dallas Cowboys: Zach Bowman, CB, Nebraska
Having filled their need for a homerun threat at runningback, the Cowboys turn to their defensive secondary. Bowman has had injury troubles throughout his college careers, but he is talented to a degree that perhaps no other corner in this draft can match. He’d be a legitimate option at nickelback or at free safety (if Ken Hamlin doesn’t end up being the answer) right off the bat.

31) New England Patriots (forfeited due to league violations)

32) Green Bay Packers: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are one of the better cornerback duos in the NFL, but the depth behind them is worrisome. Antoine Cason isn’t the fastest corner in the draft, but he is strong in coverage and has tremendous ball skills. He may even be an option at free safety if Nick Collins continues to play inconsistently.

NIN1984
12-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I really want Glenn Dorsey but I can't complain with McFadden...

Hines
12-02-2007, 09:52 AM
i would love for the steelers to get an olineman, but if jack was there with our pick, i wouldnt complain if we got him

scottyboy
12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
gorgeous Giants pick. the more I hear about him, the more i want him in big blue

Chucky
12-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Cherilus really is more of a RT, and the bucs already have their RT of the future in Trueblood

Bills2083
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
unless we dump Kelsay or Schobel in the offseason (we just paid $73 million to keep them here), I don't see us drafting a DE in the 1st round.

WR is a bigger need there, so we should go with Malcolm Kelly

Gridiron
12-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Solid Jets pick. I would've also liked Jenkins or Phillips.

neko4
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I WANT MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!
jk
Cason to GB is nice

princefielder28
12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Cason is a nice selection

BaLLiN
12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
25) New York Giants: Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma
Aaron Ross has played tremendously his rookie season, but the Giants could still use more help in their secondary. Smith has value both as a cornerback and a safety, giving the Giants some more options in how they line up their defense.

exactly what we need in the secondary

Yung Flippa
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Soild Ravens pick

hugegmenfan
12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
exactly what we need in the secondary

totally agree. smith is the kind of versatile player in the secondary we need

thebow305
12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
If DMAC is there, New England will almost certainly take him.... no question about that, they just would.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-02-2007, 09:09 PM
what no 2nd round?

nemesis3394
12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
gotta be phillips for the vikes if hes there

HoopsDemon12
12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I have never acutrally thought abotu that as the bills pick...but you know.. I LOVE IT!!!

Diehard
12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
16) Denver Broncos: Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California

No Dan Connor in round 1? He'd be a lot better fit in Denver.

As you indicated, a number of things would need to happen before Rivers would come to the Broncos (Ian Gold gone, DJ locked into MLB). I just don't see it happening...

johbur
12-03-2007, 01:25 AM
19) Arizona Cardinals: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

32) Green Bay Packers: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

Now this is what I'm talking about. You could have had the Packers picking TC Ostrander at #32 and it would be OK with me. ;D

On the picks themselves, I love seeing AZ get a top quality CB and I love Cason going to the Packers. He would solve so many of the problems they're having on defense. Watch that Cowboys game and you'll see with no Woodson in, there were so many coverage problems.

RaiderNation
12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
great raider pick

T-RICH49
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
good Chiefs pick if there is no OT worth drafting there then Jenkins works too

Vikes99ej
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
If we're that high give us Gholston or Kenny Phillips.

BamaFalcon59
12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Probably the worst somewhat logical Falcons pick. I don't like Ryan much at all.

Ewing
12-04-2007, 05:39 AM
If the Titans take Adarius freaking Bowman with DeSean Jackson still on the board I'll stop watchiing football.

aNYtitan
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
If the Titans take Adarius freaking Bowman with DeSean Jackson still on the board I'll stop watchiing football.
I'm not going to do something as stop watching football, but I concur that Bowman is not close to the talent level of DeSean, so he should definitely be the pick.

Yung Flippa
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
VERY Soild Texans pick

Paranoidmoonduck
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM

I didn't have Jackson available in this mock, since I don't really see him coming out.