PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackles

foozball
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Can someone rank the following OT's and give me a scouting report on each?

Ryan Clady
Sam Baker
Michael Oher
Phil Loadholt
Chris Williams

Matt Schaub just got knocked out...again...so I'm thinking my Texans are gonna go for an OT in the 1st.

toonsterwu
12-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I'll get around to typing something more, if I remember (sorry, don't feel like it now)

Tier 1 - All three are close, and I could see it in any order

1. Jeff Otah - Not a huge fan, and his run blocking needs work, but his pass protection skills are fine, and the upside is enormous. Was trying to think of a comp. I want to say he could develop into Flozell ... but not sure if I can think of a good comp when discussing similar points of reference.

2. Ryan Clady - Very good LT potential, but needs work. Reminds me a bit of Walter Jones coming out (not Walter Jones now).

3. Jake Long - Solid player, and could end up being the top OT off the board. I think a little John Tait in him (which is odd, since Tait has been a fine LT for the Bears, and I'm not sold on Long as being as good a LT as Tait has been)

2nd tier

4. Chris Williams - Athletic potential is there.
5. Philip Loadholt - Awesome name ... huge upside.
6. Michael Oher - Is he a tackle in the NFL?
7. Gosder Cherilus - Solid player ... just not a LT. Could see him go ahead of some guys if a team's looking for a RT.
8. Sam Baker - Is he a tackle in the NFL? I tend to think that he has a bottom point, which is that, I think if he's there for Kiffin in round 2, Kiffin may take him. But tis early.

foozball
12-02-2007, 02:00 PM
im really intrigued by Loadholt. he's clearly got the size and power to push people around. does he have the technique and footwork to succeed though?

Smokey Joe
12-02-2007, 02:10 PM
just a question, what are the odds that both Loadholt AND Duke Robinson come out?

Turtlepower
12-02-2007, 02:12 PM
just a question, what are the odds that both Loadholt AND Duke Robinson come out?

I think this is a week guard class, so Robinson comes out. If he does, Robinson is a first-rounder. As for Loadholt, such a mystery. His stock may ever be as high, but this is such a good OT class that he could end up being a top-10 pick or a round 2 pick. I think he should stay, but I believe he will come out.

Smokey Joe
12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
If Robinson and Loadholt come out, I would love for the bears to get them both. We will be picking in the 15-17 range, and I could see Loadholt falling to the mid 2nd round to the third due to questions. Could you imagine that duo in the NFL as well in 2-3 years?

Babylon
12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
At the beginning of the year Sam Baker was right there with Long at the best OTs in the country. Assuming that was accurate how does he drop so far by the fact that he's had a hamstring injury, that sort of baffles me.

PACKmanN
12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I'll get around to typing something more, if I remember (sorry, don't feel like it now)

1. Jeff Otah - Not a huge fan, and his run blocking needs work, but his pass protection skills are fine, and the upside is enormous. Was trying to think of a comp. I want to say he could develop into Flozell ... but not sure if I can think of a good comp when discussing similar points of reference.

2. Ryan Clady - Very good LT potential, but needs work. Reminds me a bit of Walter Jones coming out (not Walter Jones now).

3. Jake Long - Solid player, and could end up being the top OT off the board. I think a little John Tait in him (which is odd, since Tait has been a fine LT for the Bears, and I'm not sold on Long as being as good a LT as Tait has been)

2nd tier

7. Gosder Cherilus - Solid player ... just not a LT. Could see him go ahead of some guys if a team's looking for a RT.
8. Sam Baker - Is he a tackle in the NFL? I tend to think that he has a bottom point, which is that, I think if he's there for Kiffin in round 2, Kiffin may take him. But tis early.

Michael Oher could play LT, he will be a Travelle Wharton type player.

toonsterwu
12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
At the beginning of the year Sam Baker was right there with Long at the best OTs in the country. Assuming that was accurate how does he drop so far by the fact that he's had a hamstring injury, that sort of baffles me.

Tis just my order. Injuries have a tendency to knock folks down (see Doug Free last year). I was a huge fan of Sam Baker entering the year. And it's not as if I have him bottoming out - I do note that I think he might have a floor of early 2nd with the Raiders.

Babylon
12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Tis just my order. Injuries have a tendency to knock folks down (see Doug Free last year). I was a huge fan of Sam Baker entering the year. And it's not as if I have him bottoming out - I do note that I think he might have a floor of early 2nd with the Raiders.

Sam Baker isnt Doug Free though, i think the guy could be a Jordan Gross type and if he does make it to round 2 you have a flat out steal there.

toonsterwu
12-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Sam Baker isnt Doug Free though, i think the guy could be a Jordan Gross type and if he does make it to round 2 you have a flat out steal there.

To be honest, I don't see that comparison at all. Even at his best, Baker was never as physical as Gross was, even at comparable points (it's not to say Gross is a physical tackle, but moreso than Baker). To be honest, Doug Free is a better comp for Jordan Gross than Sam Baker is, IMO. I could see maybe Todd Weiner for Sam Baker. I could also see him more like Daryn Colledge, but I don't think, even at his best, that Baker had Colledge's athleticism.

Jonny
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
1. Jeff Otah - Not a huge fan, and his run blocking needs work, but his pass protection skills are fine

Don't agree with this at all. He handles power rushers like Long fine, but really struggles against the tweener speed DEs.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Baker
Oher
Loadholt
Williams
Clady

P-L
12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Baker
Oher
Loadholt
Williams
Clady
You hate Jake Long that much?

toonsterwu
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
You hate Jake Long that much?

I think he was just ordering the 5 that the OP had.

foozball
12-03-2007, 01:08 AM
word. jake long is pretty much a lock to be the 1st OT taken, so i didnt even bother including him.

Turtlepower
12-03-2007, 01:16 AM
word. jake long is pretty much a lock to be the 1st OT taken, so i didnt even bother including him.

You should never say someone is a lock anywhere. I wonder if Jake Long goes to the Senior Bowl. He could end up going and show he's the best or possibly go and be outperformed. If he doesn't go, teams might see other OTs that look great and might possibly lead to Long dropping a bit. I think he should skip the Senior Bowl because there is no way he is dropping past 15 unless he attends the senior bowl and completely screws over himself.

BroadwayJoe10
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
You should never say someone is a lock anywhere. I wonder if Jake Long goes to the Senior Bowl. He could end up going and show he's the best or possibly go and be outperformed. If he doesn't go, teams might see other OTs that look great and might possibly lead to Long dropping a bit. I think he should skip the Senior Bowl because there is no way he is dropping past 15 unless he attends the senior bowl and completely screws over himself.

Exactly. Most people thought Mathias Kiwanuka was going to be taken early, until Dbrick man handled him in the senior bowl, which caused his stock to drop a bit. I think the #1 OT spot is Jake Long's too lose, but it is possible to lose.

hagy34
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Does my sig work?

Babylon
12-03-2007, 07:03 PM

How can i referance Jordy Nelson in that comment:)

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna expand on the list in the OP.

1. Jake Long - It's kinda hard to rank a player that I'm not sure is even a great option at left tackle this high, but he's done nothing all season to make me think he isn't a tremendous player.

2. Ryan Clady - Love the footwork, love the size, love the potential. I'm not sure he could step directly into playing left tackle in the NFL.

3. Chris Williams - I haven't seen much, but I like what I've seen.

4. Phillip Loadholt - Not completely sold on him being a great left tackle, but but his upside gets him this high.

5. Jeff Otah - Not sure why he has risen so far. He seems solid and big, which is a nice combo, but outside of a impressive performance against a power end like Chris Long, what has he done. George Selvie took him for a ride this season. I can see him rising with a good offseason, but I don't think he deserves to be that high yet.

6. Sam Baker - As long as he can avoid the injury bug, he'll probably regain some of that stock he lost. His lack of size is a bit worrying. He has great technique but does that automatically mean he can handle NFL defensive ends.

7. Gosder Cherilus - A solid player, but I don't see much ceiling and I don't see him anywhere other than right tackle.

8. Michael Oher - Oher's tough, because if he does convince that he can play left tackle, he's probably much higher. But I see him mostly as a guard (and a really good one at that), so he has to go down at the bottom.

oldLibid21
12-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Anyone have a report on Hills? Scouting report that is. Thanks!

kmartin575
12-05-2007, 01:12 AM

2nd tier

It's no that odd considering John Tait was a right tackle for the Chiefs and it took him a while to develop into a left tackle.

KaneMarko
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna expand on the list in the OP.

5. Jeff Otah - Not sure why he has risen so far. He seems solid and big, which is a nice combo, but outside of a impressive performance against a power end like Chris Long, what has he done. George Selvie took him for a ride this season. I can see him rising with a good offseason, but I don't think he deserves to be that high yet.

I saw most of that Pitt/USF game. I donít claim to be an expert, but I thought Otah handled Selvie fairly well. I know USF got a lot of pressure and sacks that day, but from what I saw it came from the side opposite of Otah. I thought Otah had some issues in the Rutgers game. But I thought he played Selvie in the USF game fairly well. I can really only think of maybe 2 tackles Selvie had all game. I know Otah went out for a couple plays because he tweaked his knee. And while he was out Otahís backup got beat pretty badly by Selvie (didnítí result in a sack but it was clear Selvie worked whoever came in for Otah). But like I said, I canít really remember Otah giving up much of anything in that game. Of course I could have missed a few plays as I was also trying to watch McGlynn and USFís two corners Jenkins and Williams.

Iíve watched 4 or 5 Pitt games this year and have become kind of a fan of Otah. But Iím not sure I see him in the 1st round. I can see him going near the top of round 2. But I donít expect him to run a very good 40 and I think him only having 2 years of D1 experience may scare some people off.