PDA

View Full Version : Is Calais Campbell's draft stock slipping?

London
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Wanted to know what you guys thought bout Campbell and how far his stock has slipped. Definitely lower than Long - has Gholston overtaken him now too? Where you think Campbell will be selected now? What's been the reason for his drop in production?

bored of education
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I think it's the fact that he has played ok, but not exceptional. I can't think of stand out moments this year. Gholston 7 sacks verse Wisconsin and Michigan. He just hasn't STEPPED UP this year, Mr. Potentially best DEnd, never really played to that billing. He had a solid year, but other people played better.

fenikz
12-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Different types of DE's, I think Gholston is ahead of him because of his versatility to play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, but I still believe that Campbell is the best 4-3 RDE

BTW Campell was double teamed a lot this year, not sure if Gholston got the same treatment as I only got to see him a few times

toonsterwu
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, I think it's slipped from the start of the year when he was a potential top of the first. That being said, he's also a potential workout warrior in some respects (although it still bugs me how people compared him to Mario, unless the rumors are far off - I mean, Calais' around 280 ... running a 4.8 or high 4.7, which seems to be the rumors, is nice and good, but it's not exceptional). I can still see him going mid-first, although I don't think he's mid-first as of now.

Mr. Stiller
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I think there's a lot of things going on here.

OSU's DL didn't really change for the worst with draftee's last year.

I still think Kareem Brown and Baraka Atkins were underrated. Quinn Pitcock and Jay Richardson had better players behind them.

Not to mention OSU has a great Defense as a whole. Not to mention coupled with a much better and more efficient offense.

Outside of Kenny Phillips, Campbell, and Gooden, there isn't much experience or overwhelming talent showing as of yet. Plus they're offense can't get going to save their life.

Frankly.. I haven't been impressed with Campbells stats, but thats because he's been keyed on.

Then again I haven't been impressed with Gholstons spotty behaviour. 1 game.. 4 sacks.. next 3 = 0 sacks.

SuperKevin
12-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Rumors out of Miami say he's actually leaning towards returning to school after this unimpressive season. I think it'd be a smart move as he could play himself back into the top 10 next year.

London
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Rumors out of Miami say he's actually leaning towards returning to school after this unimpressive season. I think it'd be a smart move as he could play himself back into the top 10 next year.

Or he could end up like Quentin Moses who did the same thing...

bored of education
12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Quentin Moses had a sick junior season then fell off senior year. Calais sick sophmore campaign and an ok junior year. Just a bit different!

Man_Of_Steel
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Ive been saying all year that Campbell is the most overated prospect in the nation, forget his frame and scouts wil,l forget him, however thats not gonna happen.

TACKLE
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

I've had a feeling for a while that he would return for his senior year. If he has a great season, he could be a Top 3 in 2009.

Vikes99ej
12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Ive been saying all year that Campbell is the most overated prospect in the nation, forget his frame and scouts wil,l forget him, however thats not gonna happen.

We will all remember that.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
His stock has been slipping for a while, but I think it's going to be temporary considering the kind of offseason this guy could have. I'd be surprised if he ends up going in the top 5, but the top 10 is still well within range for Campbell.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he stays another year.

etk
12-03-2007, 08:32 PM

You realize he had 17 hurries, 20.5 TFLs and 10.5 sacks as a sophomore, right? He's not just some big guy who can't move or play. He overpowers college LTs and he is great in pursuit. For those reasons I compare him to Julius Peppers, but he's slightly less athletic and needs a lot more pass rush development. You are a fool if you even say his name and overrated in the same sentence, but I will hold you to it when he's in the NFL. I'm bookmarking this thread right now.

I wouldn't blame Calais for his struggles too much. He's still displayed the same skills he showed last year, it's just our line has struggled in general and offenses have keyed on him. Last year we had Kareem Brown, Bryan Pata (RIP) and Baraka Atkins, three dynamic pass rushers that pushed the pocket and took away some attention. Our DTs sucked this year and OGs and RBs have helped block Campbell. He's still very involved on running plays but he has struggled a bit to overcome these obstacles on passing downs. Our line will be much improved next year if he and Moncur return so I'd expect a greater stat output from him.

BamaFalcon59
12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
He has a problem that Jamaal Anderson (DE Falcons) has. He, in an attempt to get better against the run, gained weight. His junior season he was 265-270 and had that twitch off of the line that he lost some of this year. That twitch is very important for DEs. Run stuffing is good and well but defensive ends are known for pass rushing above all.

The Legend
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
i dont think his stock is droping, more that other players stock are raiseing

he should wait untill next yeat there are not alot of defensive ends next year

Jeffrey Fitzgerald will go before him thou

Jeffrey Fitzgerald, Virginia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 280.
40 Time: 4.6.

draftguru151
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
You realize he had 17 hurries, 20.5 TFLs and 10.5 sacks as a sophomore, right? He's not just some big guy who can't move or play. He overpowers college LTs and he is great in pursuit. For those reasons I compare him to Julius Peppers, but he's slightly less athletic and needs a lot more pass rush development. You are a fool if you even say his name and overrated in the same sentence, but I will hold you to it when he's in the NFL. I'm bookmarking this thread right now.

I wouldn't blame Calais for his struggles too much. He's still displayed the same skills he showed last year, it's just our line has struggled in general and offenses have keyed on him. Last year we had Kareem Brown, Bryan Pata (RIP) and Baraka Atkins, three dynamic pass rushers that pushed the pocket and took away some attention. Our DTs sucked this year and OGs and RBs have helped block Campbell. He's still very involved on running plays but he has struggled a bit to overcome these obstacles on passing downs. Our line will be much improved next year if he and Moncur return so I'd expect a greater stat output from him.

Campbell isn't beating one on ones and hasn't shown the explosion he had last year or even in the spring. Yes not having the dynamic players he had last year hurts a bit but McCray and Moncur are both fine players. Campbell is still a great player, great against the run, but he just isn't the same pass rusher he was last year. It might be the added weight or the fact that he's playing a lot more snaps then he was the last year, but he just isn't the same pass rusher.

etk
12-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Campbell isn't beating one on ones and hasn't shown the explosion he had last year or even in the spring. Yes not having the dynamic players he had last year hurts a bit but McCray and Moncur are both fine players. Campbell is still a great player, great against the run, but he just isn't the same pass rusher he was last year. It might be the added weight or the fact that he's playing a lot more snaps then he was the last year, but he just isn't the same pass rusher.

He has lost some explosion, but I think he's made up for it with added strength. Earlier in the season he was pushing back OTs and creating broken plays and hurries, but our other rushers weren't getting there (only Franklin). McCray was a disappointment this year, especially considering we almost always have great rushers at DT and we thrive on their pressure.

fenikz
12-04-2007, 01:23 AM
He has lost some explosion, but I think he's made up for it with added strength. Earlier in the season he was pushing back OTs and creating broken plays and hurries, but our other rushers weren't getting there (only Franklin). McCray was a disappointment this year, especially considering we almost always have great rushers at DT and we thrive on their pressure.

Even with all that he is still a great guy to take a risk on in the mid 1st, he is just so talented and his size is just freakish

ammandss
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
i dont think his stock is droping, more that other players stock are raiseing

he should wait untill next yeat there are not alot of defensive ends next year

Jeffrey Fitzgerald will go before him thou

Jeffrey Fitzgerald, Virginia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 280.
40 Time: 4.6.

I love Fitzgerald as a huge Virginia fan but I doubt he has a 4.6 40.

DSlay4
12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
He's so overrated it's not even funny.

When has he taken over a game?

Ive seen Miami play so many times and he's just not as good as people say.

If he cant dominate in college, how is he gonna dominate in the NFL?

And Ive seen him singled up plenty of times, and he's done nothing.

etk
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
He's so overrated it's not even funny.

When has he taken over a game?

Ive seen Miami play so many times and he's just not as good as people say.

If he cant dominate in college, how is he gonna dominate in the NFL?

And Ive seen him singled up plenty of times, and he's done nothing.

Umm...1st Team All-ACC with 10.5 sacks and 20.5 TFLs as a SOPHOMORE is pretty dominant. Only Anthony Spencer, Ameer Ismail & Antwan Barnes had more TFLs (all were Seniors, only Spencer played in a BCS conference).

I guess you're right though. He's just an average football player that does nothing, and he's just so overrated I can't even explain it.

themaninblack
12-06-2007, 11:25 PM
how is his character? any concerns? if not i hope the bengals can get him at some point.

Bobo
12-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I wish I would have seen him more last year, but after seeing him several times this year, he didn't live up to the hype. He simply looked slow and not like a dominant DE.

fenikz
12-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Seems like a lot of people on here just have a personal agenda against him, if he comes out and runs his 4.7 in the combines he will be back in the top 15

he may of not had the monster number he did last year but it was still a pretty solid year

50 Tackles, 12.5 TFL, 6.5 Sacks, 2 FF, & 1 INT

compare that to some other 1st round DE prospects

Vernon Gholston
34 Tackles, 14 TFL, 13 Sacks, & 1 FR for TD

Quentin Groves
35 Tackles, 7 TFL, 3 Sacks, & 2 FF

Derrick Harvey
41 Tackles, 14 TFL, & 6.5 Sacks

DSlay4
12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Umm...1st Team All-ACC with 10.5 sacks and 20.5 TFLs as a SOPHOMORE is pretty dominant. Only Anthony Spencer, Ameer Ismail & Antwan Barnes had more TFLs (all were Seniors, only Spencer played in a BCS conference).

I guess you're right though. He's just an average football player that does nothing, and he's just so overrated I can't even explain it.

He had 7 games without getting a single sack this year, and got his season high of 2.5 sacks against the wonderful O-line of Duke.

Even as a sophmore he only had one game with more than 1 sack.

He just doesnt take over a game like a Top 10 prospect should. I think it's pretty laughable that some people think he's better than Chris Long.

keylime_5
12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
He only had like 6 sacks this year and wasn't superman vs the run either like Mario Williams, so it can't be going up. But his body and athleticism and potential secure him a top 15 spot. I think Vernon Gholston jumps him though with his 13.5 sacks, his insane workout numbers, his enormous muscles, and his high motor to go with his burst and good run defense skills. It wouldn't surprise me to see Gholston jump into the 5-10 range.

djp
12-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Where did you hear this? Everything I've heard says he's gone. I know KP is gone, Calais's decision isn't final yet.

etk
12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
He had 7 games without getting a single sack this year, and got his season high of 2.5 sacks against the wonderful O-line of Duke.

He just doesnt take over a game like a Top 10 prospect should. I think it's pretty laughable that some people think he's better than Chris Long.

Calais as a sophomore: 84 tackles, 20.5 TFLs, 10.5 sacks

Chris Long as a sophomore: 46 tackles, 10 TFLs, 2 sacks.

But clearly he just doesn't take over games and he's not dominant. Chris Long is a million times better and it's not even close.

He only had like 6 sacks this year and wasn't superman vs the run either like Mario Williams, so it can't be going up. But his body and athleticism and potential secure him a top 15 spot. I think Vernon Gholston jumps him though with his 13.5 sacks, his insane workout numbers, his enormous muscles, and his high motor to go with his burst and good run defense skills. It wouldn't surprise me to see Gholston jump into the 5-10 range.

He was great against the run this year. That's where he really stood out and that's why I think he'll be an elite LDE. Gholston is my #1 DE, though. He'll be among the sack leaders for years and years to come.

marks01234
12-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

He got taken out of the NC State game one-on-one by a freshman OT. He looked dismal in the UNC game and very average in the UVA game.

DSlay4
12-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Calais as a sophomore: 84 tackles, 20.5 TFLs, 10.5 sacks

Chris Long as a sophomore: 46 tackles, 10 TFLs, 2 sacks.

But clearly he just doesn't take over games and he's not dominant. Chris Long is a million times better and it's not even close.

Chris Long had 14 sacks this year playing in a two gap 3-4. I dont mean to be on Chris Long's jock, but that's pretty damn amazing.

etk
12-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Chris Long had 14 sacks this year playing in a two gap 3-4. I dont mean to be on Chris Long's jock, but that's pretty damn amazing.

If Campbell returned for his Senior year I'd expect 14 sacks from him. That may never happen if he gets high draft grades in the next 2 weeks. If Long entered as a Junior he would've been about a 2nd rounder.

DChess
12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
just wanna say at the beginning of the season when we were comparing calais campbell to chris long, i was the only one, until toonster came in a little later who said that he is overrated, and not worthy of a top ten pick

now if im will say the good i have to stat the bad. i also said the same thing about chris long :/

OzTitan
12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Calais Campbell has Tennessee Titans written all over him. Physical freak underclassman who needs coaching up to the NFL level - Kearse, Haynesworth, Pacman, VY, Woolfolk (would have been the original Cromartie if he panned out) as some 1st round examples, Troupe, Calico, Chris Henry 2nd rounders.

I'd glady see him as a Titan - keep on slipping :)

Bobo
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Oz, Gholston or Campbell if they're both available when the Titans pick? I've been more impressed this year watching Vernon, so I'm leaning that way. Vernon got better, Campbell regressed. Maybe Quinton Moses is a good comparison production wise to Campbell (not upside wise though).

That's be a tough call, and we'd probably have to disuss it further when we have an idea how the roster looks next year (what happens to Odom, LaBoy, Fisher, and Ford).

DSlay4
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Does anyone else see it as a red flag that Campbell regressed so much. Scouts might see it as a lack of work ethic, they might think he wasn't putting in the effort to have a great Junior season.

London
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Oz, Gholston or Campbell if they're both available when the Titans pick? I've been more impressed this year watching Vernon, so I'm leaning that way. Vernon got better, Campbell regressed. Maybe Quinton Moses is a good comparison production wise to Campbell (not upside wise though).

That's be a tough call, and we'd probably have to disuss it further when we have an idea how the roster looks next year (what happens to Odom, LaBoy, Fisher, and Ford).

I'm a Titans fan too and I would definitely go Gholston ahead of Campbell. Gholston is just a beast and quicker off the snap. He can also drop into coverage. Either would be fine though - I don't think Gholston will be around then anyway. I'm hoping guys like Blake and Groves have crazy combines which force them up and push Gholston down.

For the Titans I either want Dline or WR in round 1 (I don't see any TE's worth it). Realistically any one of Gholston, Campbell, Harvey, Blake, Kelly, Earl Bennett, Manningham and DJax would do me fine....

Bobo
12-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Gholston dropping back into coverage could offer more flexibility for Shwartz (if he's still around). Sometimes he does do things like zone blitzes, switching up d-lineman, drops d-line back into coverage, etc....but the one big complaint I have of him is he doesn't do those things enough to try and create mismatches and throw the opposing offense off.

Wallace Gillberry has dropped back into coverage some. He's not the athlete Gholston is, but he is versatile playing all over the Bama d-line. I think he may be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If all the things I read are right, he won't put up great #'s in workouts to rise up boards. But to me, his play on the field (most important) is very strong.

In a case like that where we don't go DE 1st, WR in the 1st could be the path to choose. I do think Davis from USC is the one TE I've seen that could be worth our pick. He's a decent blocker with serious receiving skills.

OzTitan
12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I do like Gholston more but I think he'll probably be the 1st DE taken after Long. My original point was mainly just how much Campbell fits the bill as a typical Titans 1st rnd pick based on some of the past few drafts where it seems we're very interested in raw underclassman players with all the physical tools already there.

Bobo
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
My original point was mainly just how much Campbell fits the bill as a typical Titans 1st rnd pick based on some of the past few drafts where it seems we're very interested in raw underclassman players with all the physical tools already there.

True, and our 2nd rounder last year was the same. But our 1st rounder was more of a high production guy instead of freak. With only 1 draft with MR in there, I don't know what to think of what he does. Guess I could go look up recent Seahawks drafts.

OzTitan
12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah that's a sound point - Floyd was running the show when we drafted all those raw physical freaks in the 1st. Griffin was like our first senior for ages if I'm not mistaken :P

etk
12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
1a. Gholston
1b. Campbell
1c. Long

They're all going to be great players if you ask me, so it just depends on the system to decide which one you like the best.