PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary

toonsterwu
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Waiting on something right now, so decided to throw a quick mock together. For once, this is probably quick. Not likely to do a round 2 for this. Just quick comments. No trade, based on record and last week opponent win percentages as noted by gbnreport (too lazy to figure out updated win percentages) and also projecting a Patriots win tonight.

1. Miami Dolphins – DE Chris Long, UVA

Weigh in will be critical.

2. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers – OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

Yes, I think they pass on McFadden if he's available and address a more immediate need.

3. Atlanta Falcons – RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

QB can wait.

4. New York Jets – DE Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

What? Some folks are comparing him to Richard Seymour – which I’m not sure I see. I’m still not sold he’s anything more than a decent starter. But he has momentum, which is always critical, and athleticism, which is always needed to move up in the postseason. Not really a comparable in terms of talent, but Ryan Sims wasn’t projected to go in the top of the first before the postseason. Strange things happen.

5. St. Louis Rams – OT Jake Long, Michigan

Steadiness can win out. The upside gamble on Otah or Clady may be too great for them. Could start inside at guard until Pace calls it quits.

6. Cincinnati Bengals – DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

The solid leader that might be too good to pass up here.

7. Baltimore Ravens – CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

Definitely need to address corner this offseason.

8. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

Left tackle potential often goes higher, but I don’t think this is too high.

9. Oakland Raiders – DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

Don’t see Clady here and end value is off.

10. New Orleans Saints – LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

Could be Payton’s leader for that defense.

11. Houston Texans – LT Ryan Clady, Boise State

Running backs can be found. Protecting your QB … priceless.

12. Denver Broncos – S Kenny Phillips, the U

Certainly could use some help elsewhere … but this value is solid and fills a hole.

13. Carolina Panthers – QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

The fall of the QB’s? I don’t think it’s out of the question, and I wouldn’t have thought that a month or so ago.

14. Chicago Bears – LT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

I’m not sure if it’s a trend or not, but there’s been several instances in recent years where teams in need of QB’s of the future wait. For the Bears, unless they restart the clock, a QB won’t help anytime soon.

15. Washington Redskins – DE Calais Campbell, the U

Could be the young every down end they’ve been looking for. Really an upside/postseason/workout pick, as I’m not sure he’s a mid-first right now.

16. Philadelphia Eagles – CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

Safety’s probably a bigger concern, but the value isn’t there. Not sold on Desean Jackson as some have. More explosive than Talib, IMO, so gets the nod here.

17. Arizona Cardinals – RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

I’ll probably hear it from Cardinals fans on this one … that said, what’s the call here? DL value seems iffy? CB is a thought. S value is off. An edge guy? Who, and the need doesn’t seem huge here. Maybe Chris Ellis.

18. Buffalo Bills – WR Desean Jackson, California

I don’t completely buy LB/CB here, and DT value is off, thus I go offense. I know, big receiver and all that. But often times, coordinators want receivers that fit what they do, and I’m not sold any of the top big receivers do that. I think Jackson is a fit for Fairchild’s scheming.

19. Minnesota Vikings – WR Andre Caldwell, Florida

Plus speed, good size, finishing strong. Probably a tad under the radar right now, but I could see it. Only time will tell. I wonder if I should flop receivers and have Caldwell with Buffalo.

20. Detroit Lions – MLB Erin Henderson, Maryland

Ambivalent on corner here … Henderson could be a dynamic MIKE with range for the scheme, though. OT value/fit is iffy.

21. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns – CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

Slips a bit, but I still think, for now, that he’s a first rounder if he comes out. I’m iffy if he fits for Philly, which leads to the slip, but I could see Phillips being quite happy with him.

22. Tennessee Titans – DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

I think they should go offensive skill (WR), but I’m not completely sold they’ll go that route. Ellis could be an everydown end for them.

23. San Diego Chargers – RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

Starting to like this pick. Obviously, with no 2nd/3rd, trading might be a priority. That said, if Turner (Norv) is back, and if Turner (Mike) is gone, they’ll need a backup. LT isn’t getting any younger, and I'll give AJ Smith credit - he's built up some depth. Could be a RT like Cherilus or a DL talent.

24. Seattle Seahawks – QB Andre’ Woodson, Kentucky

Yes, RB. But … Charlie Frye, QB of the future? This might be too tempting to pass up.

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

Might be too tempting to pass up here, considering a speedy WR can be added later whose value is about the same as the guys you can find here. Here, if Chucky is around, you won't depend on the QB for offensive leadership in this respect - this is Chucky's offense.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars – WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Try, try again. The seemingly eternal search for a lead receiver continues.

27. New York Giants – LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

This one feels old … but I’m not sure what other option makes more sense.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

Could step in right away for Faneca.

29. Green Bay Packers – CB Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin

This is, of course, if he comes out, as Wisconsin fans don’t seem to think, so who knows.

30. San Francisco 49ers f/ Indianapolis Colts – OLB/DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

May take some adjustment time. I know, DL. But the raw athleticism may be too good to pass up here.

31. Dallas Cowboys – DL Dre’ Moore, Maryland

Versatile talent. Reminds me somewhat of a young Jason Ferguson.

32. New England Patriots - forfeited

Xiomera
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
20. Detroit Lions – MLB Erin Henderson, Maryland

Ambivalent on corner here … Henderson could be a dynamic MIKE with range for the scheme, though. OT value/fit is iffy.

I don't know much about Henderson, but with all the OT's off the board, I support his pick. Outside of Ernie Sims, our linebackers couldn't tackle an old lady in a phone booth.

fischbowl
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
18. Buffalo Bills – WR Desean Jackson, California

I don’t completely buy LB/CB here, and DT value is off, thus I go offense. I know, big receiver and all that. But often times, coordinators want receivers that fit what they do, and I’m not sold any of the top big receivers do that. I think Jackson is a fit for Fairchild’s scheming.

We really need a tall red zone reciever. Malcolm Kelly would be perfect.

toonsterwu
12-03-2007, 01:33 PM
We really need a tall red zone reciever. Malcolm Kelly would be perfect.

Yeah, I know, big receiver. Just not sold that Fairchild would necessarily go for that. There's some coordinators that just want guys that fit their schemes, rather than adjusting. Not sure about Fairchild, but not sold that Kelly fits the scheme. Now, the more I think about it, maybe Caldwell. A tad bigger than Jackson, and yet still quick enough.

As a side note, my current comp for Caldwell - a slightly bigger Bernard Berrian?

RaiderNation
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
solid raider pick. could see Calais Campbell there too

Scotty D
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
New and refreshing Lions pick. I like!

D-Unit
12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Why would Phillips be happy with Talib the Twig?

Bills2083
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I know, big receiver. Just not sold that Fairchild would necessarily go for that. There's some coordinators that just want guys that fit their schemes, rather than adjusting. Not sure about Fairchild, but not sold that Kelly fits the scheme. Now, the more I think about it, maybe Caldwell. A tad bigger than Jackson, and yet still quick enough.

As a side note, my current comp for Caldwell - a slightly bigger Bernard Berrian?

I wouldn't mind Caldwell, but for some reason, I really like Kelly...

skinzzfan25
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
calais = win

bearsfan_51
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Wow....Kentwan Balmer as a top 5 pick? There's an eye-opener.

Where are you hearing the Seymour comparisons tooney?

T-RICH49
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
personally I prefer Clady over Otah

derza222
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Balmer pick is certainly interesting...not out of the question by any means. Am I wrong in thinking that his ceiling and his floor are very far apart? If that makes sense...He's either going to be very good or average, not much middle ground. How's his on-field production? I know we put a lot of emphasis on performance in college careers as opposed to taking guys and trying to mold them. Part of me wants to say Jake Long or Malcolm Jenkins is a better pick, but taking a RT that high is obviously questionable and it's a lot of money to sink into either position with D'Brick and Revis. Interesting pick, it's tough to question as there aren't many better options. I just hope we don't get put in that sort of a position come draft day, though we probably will.

sdpads24
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I doubt the Chargers go RB with their 1st. Michael Turner has not received that many carries this year with Norv at the helm and it doesn't make sense to draft a player that won't play very much with a first round pick. Darren Sproles could be a serviceable backup or we could use a later pick on a RB as well. I think depth on the D-line and secondary is a bigger priority.

scottyboy
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Wow....Kentwan Balmer as a top 5 pick? There's an eye-opener.

Where are you hearing the Seymour comparisons tooney?

the voices in his head are my bet. They get pretty loud at times. At least mine do

and giants pick and explanation are spot on.

Borat
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Derrick Harvey to SF is a nice pick.

Vikes99ej
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
No, no, no, no... please switch us with Buffalo.

TACKLE
12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Toon, I really like how your always trying to make your mocks original. The draft never turns out how people expect especially in December. Some high picks that seem out there now, may be definite possibilities come draft time. Keep up the good work.

BmoreBlackByrdz
12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
love the raven pick

Travis 24
12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Ah, another draft that is starting to get the idea! Love it...this team is in such dire need of corners, I'd love to have Jenkins here..

I think you got it with who the Pats will take..I think Gholston will be the guy..

george_allen
12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
5. St. Louis Rams – OT Jake Long, Michigan

Steadiness can win out. The upside gamble on Otah or Clady may be too great for them. Could start inside at guard until Pace calls it quits.

i understand the propensity to give the rams jake long, i really do.
but i just don't think it's right.
i believe alex barron has a better chance at left tackle than jake long. check out alex's stats this year. besides the fact that pace is not done at age 32. they need a center more than a tackle, in all honesty.
it seems to me the right spot for long is right tackle, and do you draft a rt with the 5th pick overall? i struggle with that whether i'm looking at jake for miami, the jets, the pats or the rams.
what really toasted me about this mock is gholston at 2 to N.E. - he's worthy, he'd flourish there and as a result, my rams don't get him . . . . .
mr. wu you heartless beast, you.

BaLLiN
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Good giants pick

dbtb135
12-04-2007, 01:30 AM
As much as I'd like to see a good QB in Tampa that is under 35, I can't see Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, AND Minnesota all looking past the QBs. Maybe one or two, but not all of them.

Jakey
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I like the Steelers pick

toonsterwu
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
As much as I'd like to see a good QB in Tampa that is under 35, I can't see Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, AND Minnesota all looking past the QBs. Maybe one or two, but not all of them.

Well, in Atlanta's case, I've got a hard time seeing them pass on McFadden up there, and this was a no trade. In Minnesota' case, Tarvaris Jackson has played well of late.

The two that might be more questionable would be Baltimore and Chicago. But Baltimore goes by their board and they do a need a CB. Add in Kyle Boller making another late season spurt, and while I think they'll look QB, I don't think it's definite.

As for Chicago, the problem is ... this is a team that doesn't seem likely to restart the clock just yet. If we do, then yes, QB is the likely route. Drafting a QB restarts the clock. I think Rex gets resigned and we add a QB in the 2nd/3rd to develop. For all our ills this year, if we add a LT, the OL looks much better (Tait could move over to the right side). That would likely make our offense look a tad better overall.

Anyhow, only time will tell.

toonsterwu
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
i understand the propensity to give the rams jake long, i really do.
but i just don't think it's right.
i believe alex barron has a better chance at left tackle than jake long. check out alex's stats this year. besides the fact that pace is not done at age 32. they need a center more than a tackle, in all honesty.
it seems to me the right spot for long is right tackle, and do you draft a rt with the 5th pick overall? i struggle with that whether i'm looking at jake for miami, the jets, the pats or the rams.
what really toasted me about this mock is gholston at 2 to N.E. - he's worthy, he'd flourish there and as a result, my rams don't get him . . . . .
mr. wu you heartless beast, you.

It is a tough call to draft a RT at the top of the first. I tend to not like it ... and if end value is there, I'd go that route. But end value is off, and I'm not sold that you guys go with an interior tackle like Dorsey or Ellis (to be honest, I'd love to see you guys move to a 3-4 with Carriker sliding to one end, Ryan in the middle, and you can mix up Adeyanju and others at the other side). After that ... there is the darkhorse option of QB, which I don't think should be taken off the table despite Bulger's long term deal. If there's a new regime, it's not impossible. But eh ... that's a darkhorse for sure. No RB value. WR? Perhaps a bigger linebacker if they like Laurinaitis. ALl in all, in a no-trade, I'm not sure what the backup plan was.

bored of education
12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I have heard that Balmer is a sure 1st rounder, I seen him play a few times it's hard to tell. He was beastly in some games this year and I can somewhat see the Seymour comparisons. The kid has some skills. Will be interesting to see how he does at All star games/combine and what not

Nice pick for KC

amc2005
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Creative draft, but as a Seahawks fan I have to step in on their pick. #8 is playing quite possibly the best football of his career right now and I dont' think Holmgren is unhappy with him. He also has a few years left in that tank and on his contract, leading me to believe we have a lot more immediate needs besides QB. For example, the guy that stands behind him, the 2005 MVP who needs desperately to be replaced, or perhaps the bust corner we drafted a couple years ago out of the U.

george_allen
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
It is a tough call to draft a RT at the top of the first. I tend to not like it ... and if end value is there, I'd go that route. But end value is off, and I'm not sold that you guys go with an interior tackle like Dorsey or Ellis (to be honest, I'd love to see you guys move to a 3-4 with Carriker sliding to one end, Ryan in the middle, and you can mix up Adeyanju and others at the other side). After that ... there is the darkhorse option of QB, which I don't think should be taken off the table despite Bulger's long term deal. If there's a new regime, it's not impossible. But eh ... that's a darkhorse for sure. No RB value. WR? Perhaps a bigger linebacker if they like Laurinaitis. ALl in all, in a no-trade, I'm not sure what the backup plan was.

actually, haslett said, if he's still employed by the rams next season, he wants to move to the 3-4. carriker and ryan would make sense as you have them assigned and i think wroten might make for an interesting 3-4 de if he can keep his head straight.
the option of moving to the 3-4 is another reason i'd like to see the rams pick up gholston, for an olb as they really don't have any strong options for that - plus he would hold the fort after little if they stay in the 4-3. can't miss pick in my mind.

i wouldn't completely rule out a qb in the 2008 draft, but i'd be shocked if it was with their 1st round pick - even with a regime change. matter of fact, they need so many other holes filled, i'd be shocked if it happened in round 2 and to a much lesser extent in 3. of course, that's assuming bulger physically survives this season. . . . maybe j.long does make sense lol.

toonsterwu
12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Admittedly, forgot about Wroten. Wroten/Adeyanju could be fine. Add another body in the mix later on (say, a Langford or Maurice Murray, Murray is a real solid 3-4 fit, IMO).

If they are intent on moving to the 3-4, then I could see Laurinaitis get the nod if the board falls that way. Add a little more size inside with Laurinaitis, slide Chillar inside. Witherspoon seemed to do well on the edge. Eric Moore could probably be usable as a 3-4 OLB, although someone else would have to be added.

If you guys win a few more games and slide to the teens (not impossible, albeit would have to see a lot of other things happen) or trade into the teens, I could see someone like Chris Ellis come into play, provided his background checks out if the move to the 3-4 happens.

Ward
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think Houston would pass on Phillips if available, although I don't exactly have problems with Clady either. Good job.

aNYtitan
12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I do think the Titans could use an upgrade at DE, but I think it could wait till the 3rd round. We have plenty of quality and depth at the end spots in KVB, Odom, Laboy, Conover and Fisher. Right now, WR and TE are the top needs, alont with possibly DT. With that said, I believe Malcolm Kelly would be the best pick for the Titans. A very good reciever with great fans, good timed speed and runs great routes and isn't afraid to go over the middle (something that our WR's don't really do)

Yung Flippa
12-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I like Malcom Jenkins for the Ravens and the Texans pick is soild but they would have to think hard about passing on Kenny Phillips or Reshard.

BuckNaked
12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Andre Caldwell in the first round? Doesn't really get me too excited.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Best Falcons pick in the world.

ncst8fan83
12-04-2007, 10:59 PM
4. New York Jets – DE Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

What? Some folks are comparing him to Richard Seymour – which I’m not sure I see. I’m still not sold he’s anything more than a decent starter. But he has momentum, which is always critical, and athleticism, which is always needed to move up in the postseason. Not really a comparable in terms of talent, but Ryan Sims wasn’t projected to go in the top of the first before the postseason. Strange things happen.

lmao!!! dammit toon, pass that **** you're smokin' already!!! A bust of epic proportions. There should be riots in the streets of NYC if this happens. Whew, thanks for that laugh. Gimme Hilee Taylor any day over Balmer(not for 34 prospects obviously). I just don't see it. It's not like he's had any production AND his numbers won't jump off the page at combines/pro days. Where do you see Mapp going, if at all...?

CC.SD
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Chargers taking Jonathan Stewart is the worst mock I have seen yet.

d34ng3l021
12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Great pick for the Falcons. We wouldnt pass up Darren McFadden for any QB in this class.

bolts2388
12-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Chargers taking Jonathan Stewart is the worst mock I have seen yet.

lol you got that right. Horrid pick

The Unseen
12-06-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure if the Jaguars would actually take a WR. One is definitely needed, but they may make the same lame argument of "we like our guys," or (better) they get someone in FA.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Jus a few questions...

Why would Buffalo take Desean Jackson in the 1st when they have Roscoe Parrish who is almost exactly the same thing jackson is, Kelly or Bowman or even Sweed would be a better fit in with Lee Evans...

And why would the Chargers take Jonathan Stewart that high for a backup?? For Houston you said rb can wait and they can be had later, yet you have the chargers taking a 1st rd pick on a guy who is just a backup and wont even see 10 carries a game, didnt understand that...

amc2005
12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure if the Jaguars would actually take a WR. One is definitely needed, but they may make the same lame argument of "we like our guys," or (better) they get someone in FA.

Agreed, would the Jags really want to take a WR with their luck at picking them the past few seasons? I would say they're better off not trying and picking out of the free agency this year.