PDA

View Full Version : The Rose Bowl: USC vs Illinois

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Discuss the 2008 Rose Bowl in this thread. Gametime is 3:30pm CST on ABC January 1st, 2008.

Go Illini!

BigJohn98
12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Go Illinois.

SubNoize
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
It's going to be boring, Illinois will be embarassed and USC will take the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize for a second year in a row.

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Go Illini!

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I think my Trojans will pull it off but I think Illinois will actually give us a game. I think they will give us more trouble than Michigan did last year in the Rose Bowl. I think we will have to adjust to Juice's mobility and I think since Illinois haven't been in the Rose Bowl since 1983 they will be playing like it is the Super Bowl for them. I think it will be pretty tight and USC will win by 10-14 points. I am going with the Trojans but I don't think it will be a blow out. But then again I didn't think Michigan was going to be a blow out last year either so who knows.

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
It's going to be boring, Illinois will be embarassed and USC will take the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize for a second year in a row.

I sure hope the USC players are feeling the same way....I love being the underdog.

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
USC had trouble with speed against Oregon, and we have just as much, possibly more.

SubNoize
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
USC had trouble with speed against Oregon, and we have just as much, possibly more.

Oregon was also playing like the best team in the country at the time and USC was banged up. Illinois did not deserve to be in this game, they got in by default, and the talent difference will be glaringly obvious.

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Oregon was also playing like the best team in the country at the time and USC was banged up. Illinois did not deserve to be in this game, they got in by default, and the talent difference will be glaringly obvious.

Thanks Miss Cleo. We are the only team to beat two top 5 teams this year. We beat the current #1 team in the land. We finished 2nd in the Big 10.

Boise State didn't deserve to be in the Fiesta Bowl either last year did they? Whoops.

Talent is such a fun word too...Because it doesn't mean squat if you can't execute.

SubNoize
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks Miss Cleo. We are the only team to beat two top 5 teams this year. We beat the current #1 team in the land. We finished 2nd in the Big 10.

Boise State didn't deserve to be in the Fiesta Bowl either last year did they? Whoops.

Talent is such a fun word too...Because it doesn't mean squat if you can't execute.

The current #1 is a joke and you finished second in a frickin cakewalk conference. Go hope and pray you'll be a cinderella, but it's not going to happen.

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree, I do think the Big 10 has been incredibly soft the past few years but I also think you can argue this Ohio State team is better than last years Ohio State team.

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree, I do think the Big 10 has been incredibly soft the past few years but I also think you can argue this Ohio State team is better than last years Ohio State team.

And the Pac-10 isn't soft? Give me a break.

gstock05
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Illinois has a much better defense than Oregon. Their offense is either wildly hot, or terribly bad. Recently they've been very hot.

I LOVE how everyone thinks USC is incredible... they haven't impressed me once the entire year..

Illinois has more quality wins than USC, and has faced better competition.

However, I'm not going into the who beat who arguement. If Juice can prove his passing ability has truely come on a far way, Illinois will shock USC.

yourfavestoner
12-03-2007, 08:56 PM

So you think a Ron Zook coached team is going to out-execute a Pete Carroll coached team? Let me hit some of that la la you got, playboy.

This year was actually a very, very strong year for the Pac 10. Conversely, this year was a very, very weak year for the Big Televen (although most are).

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I think Pac 10 is the 2nd best conference in the nation.

Namy
12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
USC is going to dominate Illinois. Pete Carrol is probably the best coach in terms of preparing a team for a big game and as a result, I don't see the Illini being able to run against the Trojans. Additionally, I don't see Juice Williams being able to pass on them either. If the Illini can't hold USC to less than 24 points, there is no conceivable way they win.

The only way I see Illinois winning is if they can get a quick (and preferably large) lead early in the game. So I WILL watch the first quarter. If USC gets up by two TDs over Illinois tho at any point in the game, I think Illinois is done.

soybean
12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I have a feeling Illinois is going to win.

the pac-10 is gonna face some criticism and all the critics of booty will emerge again.

please let me be wrong.

every USC fan i know is over looking this game.

someone447
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM

the pac-10 is gonna face some criticism and all the critics of booty will emerge again.

please let me be wrong.

This is a lose/lose game for both conferences. If Illinois wins, it will only be used to show how weak the Pac 10 is, not that the Big 10 isn't as bad as people think. If USC wins, it will only be because they beat a weak Illinois team.

Sportsfan486
12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
This year was actually a very, very strong year for the Pac 10.

When Oregon had Dixon, yeah, the Pac 10 was strong.

Now what teams do you have? You have USC and a bunch of JV schools. Seriously, who is in the Pac 10 that's good, exactly? Arizona State and their one ranked win (against the now 6-6 Cal squad.. lolz)?

And guess what? USC LOST to the one great team in the conference (along with Stanford.. at home.. kek.)

Who has USC beat that is any good right now?

Fun fact.. Oregon State, Arizona State. Those are the ONLY teams USC beat that have winning records.

Illinois has beaten Indiana, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State. Ohio State is playing in the national championship game.

3 teams Illinois played are playing on Jan. 1st + Ohio State in the NC game. So 4 teams playing in January.

ZERO of USC's opponents play that late.

So let's not pretend USC is so greatly superior, please.

someone447
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
USC is the better team, probably by a long shot. But being the better team doesn't mean much. Michigan is much better than App State, but we know how that turned out.

soybean
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
When Oregon had Dixon, yeah, the Pac 10 was strong.

Now what teams do you have? You have USC and a bunch of JV schools. Seriously, who is in the Pac 10 that's good, exactly? Arizona State and their one ranked win (against the now 6-6 Cal squad.. lolz)?

And guess what? USC LOST to the one great team in the conference (along with Stanford.. at home.. kek.)

Who has USC beat that is any good right now?

Fun fact.. Oregon State, Arizona State. Those are the ONLY teams USC beat that have winning records.

Illinois has beaten Indiana, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State. Ohio State is playing in the national championship game.

3 teams Illinois played are playing on Jan. 1st + Ohio State in the NC game. So 4 teams playing in January.

ZERO of USC's opponents play that late.

So let's not pretend USC is so greatly superior, please.

it's ok we'll bounch back next year with caroll, mariucci/leach/petersen, erickson, tedford, riley, belotti.

everyone talks about the 2008 USC vs. OSU matchup but I'm more excited to see 2008 ASU vs. Georgia.

slightlyaraiderfan
12-03-2007, 09:35 PM
A lot of people will look to the SC vs Oregon game and give the Illlini a better chance then they deserve, i'm not saying Illinois doesn't have a chance...but there is a reason why SC is favored by 2 touchdowns. But the Oregon game was very close even though SC was missing Booty and a significant amount of OL, so the offense was never in sync. The defense did an ok job against that offense, which at the time was ranked 2nd. SC is now healthy, playing much better and I think they should dominate this game.

soybean
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
A lot of people will look to the SC vs Oregon game and give the Illlini a better chance then they deserve, i'm not saying Illinois doesn't have a chance...but there is a reason why SC is favored by 2 touchdowns. But the Oregon game was very close even though SC was missing Booty and a significant amount of OL, so the offense was never in sync. The defense did an ok job against that offense, which at the time was ranked 2nd. SC is now healthy, playing much better and I think they should dominate this game.

seriously. also, USC's offense was struggling but oregon wasn't necessarily having their way with USC like everyone is making out to seem. we held them to their lowest point total all season (tied with cal) and we did it without forcing a turnover.

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Was that the same reason Ohio State was favored by 14 when we played them in Columbus?

iowatreat54
12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
personally, I think this entire game hinges on Juice...if he can play a game like he did against OSU, I like the Illini's chances because if Juice decides he is a QB and knows how to hit receivers, then it will open the game for mendenhall...Illinois has been up and down all season, will we see the team that looked pretty flawless against Wisky and OSU? or the team that lost 10-6 to a horrible Iowa team? USC will be solid, so IMO it's which Juice/Illini team shows up

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 11:25 PM

please let me be wrong.

I think USC will be alright but I just hope the defense can stop Juice being able to run. We have plenty of time to game plan though and Pete is the master of getting the team ready for big games.

KCJ58
12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
USC will spank Illinois

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 11:32 PM
People say "USC is hot right now" well so is Illinois. They knocked off OSU in Columbus and destroyed a decent Northwestern team.

I agree with those who say USC on talent alone should win this game. But as we all know, talent isn't good enough. You have to execute on the field and make the plays.

I'm not saying we're going to win, but the flat out disrespect that we're getting is pretty surprising to me. People are acting like we're some MAC school here. USC better be ready to play...

soybean
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
USC will spank Illinois

this is why I'm not confident.

remember last year when basically the whole board AND espn basically said Michigan would roll USC?

TouchdownUSC
12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
this is why I'm not confident.

remember last year when basically the whole board AND espn basically said Michigan would roll USC?

I agree. We never lose to top opponents except when we played Texas a few years ago in the Rose Bowl shootout. It's always when USC lets their gaurd down on teams who arent expected to win that things go wrong. The good news is though that it isnt just a regular season game, it's the rose bowl. I'm sure all the guys will be looking forward to being there and won't come out flat.

david81
12-04-2007, 12:44 AM
People say "USC is hot right now" well so is Illinois. They knocked off OSU in Columbus and destroyed a decent Northwestern team.

I agree with those who say USC on talent alone should win this game. But as we all know, talent isn't good enough. You have to execute on the field and make the plays.

I'm not saying we're going to win, but the flat out disrespect that we're getting is pretty surprising to me. People are acting like we're some MAC school here. USC better be ready to play...

SC isnt really hot. They should've killed UCLA, but they just beat them by 17 points. If SC shows up how they should (as the best team in the country), which they probably will since Carroll makes them in almost all their big games... Then the Illini will get raped no matter how well Juice and the rest of the team does.

no love
12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Teams like OSU, Michigan and Wisc. would not come out on top if they had to play in the Pac-10.

There is a lot of GOOD competition in the Pac-10, teams like ASU, Oregon, Cal, Stanford (apparently on a good day) and even UCLA can beat USC. If OSU or Michigan had to go through this schedule there is no way they have only one or two conference losses.

OSU basically had two games that were within a TD all year. Either OSU is THAT good by blowing away all of their competition, or the competition is not that good. USC had five games that were within a TD pt differential.

no love
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
SC isnt really hot. They should've killed UCLA, but they just beat them by 17 points. If SC shows up how they should (as the best team in the country), which they probably will since Carroll makes them in almost all their big games... Then the Illini will get raped no matter how well Juice and the rest of the team does.

That is the most ridiculous statement ever. "They just beat them by 17 points".... 17 POINTS?! I hope you are being sarcastic...in my book a 3 possession lead is pretty much a critical beat down.

Well maybe not in the Big-10 where scores like 58-7 happen.

slightlyaraiderfan
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Did you happen to catch the game? The score is not indicative of how SC dominated the Bruins...the SC defense completly shutdown their offense. Sometimes you just can't look at the score.

VoteLynnSwan
12-04-2007, 07:14 PM
That is the most ridiculous statement ever. "They just beat them by 17 points".... 17 POINTS?! I hope you are being sarcastic...in my book a 3 possession lead is pretty much a critical beat down.

Well maybe not in the Big-10 where scores like 58-7 happen.

my god read the rest of his post and look at his location the next time.

Anyone who thinks this will be a blowout will likely be in for a big surprise. Illinois has a chance to beat any team in the nation if they play well enough. The talent level on this team is being underrated by everyone. If Juice plays well, you will see the most dominate freshman wide receiver in the nation in Arrelious Benn.

soybean
12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
my god read the rest of his post and look at his location the next time.

Anyone who thinks this will be a blowout will likely be in for a big surprise. Illinois has a chance to beat any team in the nation if they play well enough. The talent level on this team is being underrated by everyone. If Juice plays well, you will see the most dominate freshman wide receiver in the nation in Arrelious Benn.

Illinois is a good team and has a very dynamic offense. But I wonder if their D will able to put enough pressure on booty and the O-line to hold them under 30 points because i don't see Illinois scoring more than 30 on USC.

david81
12-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Did you happen to catch the game? The score is not indicative of how SC dominated the Bruins...the SC defense completly shutdown their offense. Sometimes you just can't look at the score.

Yes I did. The offense sucked compared to what they can do.

DiG
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
i really just wanna see Booty go out there and put up 350 yards and 4 tds.

JT Jag
12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Illinois will beat SC by at least 10 points. I'm feelin' it.

TouchdownUSC
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Im taking SC by 21.

ThePudge
12-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I would agree that people are really overlooking this game. Win or lose, the Illini are going to give USC a game. People will go on for days about how great a team USC has, but I can't help but feel they are very overrated. They have plenty of talent on defense (though didn't Ohio State?), but the offense hasn't played to potential really all season. Illinois and the Trojans are both on sort of a hot streak, but neither are deserving really of a BCS Bowl bid. They both have their pathetic losses, USC to a poor Stanford team and Illinois to an awful Iowa.

That all being said, it should be a tight game. No blowout here. USC fans, stop acting cocky. I don't care how great the Pac-10 is, you lost to Stanford, a team that couldn't even beat Notre Dame. Same goes for Illinois fans, you lost to an Iowa team who lost to a poor DI-AA team. By saying that, it should illustrate that neither team is that spectacular (though no one is this year.)

Obviously Juice Williams is the key player here. If he plays like he did in Columbus, and Ron Zook coaches with some balls, the Illini could shock the college football world... again.

USC 27
Illinois 20

Though it could easily go the other way.

BigJohn98
12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Question to Illinois fans: Has Matt Eller gotten any playing time this year?

fenikz
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Illinois will get destroyed

sweetness34
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Awesome, thanks fenikz. Got any other analysis for the game?

HoopsDemon12
12-09-2007, 08:20 PM

There is no denying that illinois is on an upswing and will be a good team soon...

that being said they will get stomped in this one.. USC is way better at this point

soybean
12-09-2007, 08:24 PM
i heard Illinois has the 114th ranked passing offense.

toonsterwu
12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I think Illinois has a shot to keep it close. Juice needs to step up in the passing game and they need to establish Rashard early and often.

That said, I think this is USC's game to win or lose. If USC is on, they can beat anyone in the country with a balanced offense and strong defense. When they are off, well, Stanford ...

fenikz
12-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Illinois shouldn't be in a BCS game, and ASU was robbed

soybean
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
heres another interesting stat i heard off of the illinois board.

total season INTs: 16
totals yards after INT: 1

ruthlessrussian
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Well I have some. Its the Rose Bowl. USC will win big. Nuff said. There really isnt anymore I can tell you because niether you nor the Illini can seriously argue that they (Illinois) are going to win this football game. Sorry...

Turtlepower
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM

I'll second that.

sweetness34
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Well I have some. Its the Rose Bowl. USC will win big. Nuff said. There really isnt anymore I can tell you because niether you nor the Illini can seriously argue that they (Illinois) are going to win this football game. Sorry...

What has USC proven this year to be better than Illinois? They have no marquee wins....Their SOS isn't that great, they got stomped by a horrible team at home.

I'm not saying we're going to win but good god, "stomped?" You people have not seen Illinois play this year. We're a scary team right now. Ask Wisky, ask Penn State, ask Mizzou, ask Ohio State, ask Michigan....

Oh and Turtle, you were not robbed. The Rose Bowl has always taken Big 10 vs Pac 10 teams when it's not the National Title Game, or well pretty much every year. USC was the #1 Pac 10 team, we are the #2 Big 10 team since OSU is playing for the NT. So I don't know what you're bitching about. Plus you already lost to USC this year, don't we deserve a chance at them?

fenikz
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Illinois lost to Mizz, Iowa and Michigan

3 loses in a weak conference(this year) doesn't deserve a BCS bowl bid

Turtlepower
12-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Oh and Turtle, you were not robbed. The Rose Bowl has always taken Big 10 vs Pac 10 teams when it's not the National Title Game, or well pretty much every year. USC was the #1 Pac 10 team, we are the #2 Big 10 team since OSU is playing for the NT. So I don't know what you're bitching about. Plus you already lost to USC this year, don't we deserve a chance at them?

See, it is not ASU who should be in the Rose Bowl, but a team like Missouri or West Virginia. I just don't think a 3-loss team should jump in front of a 2-loss team because of "tradition." By Illinois being in the BCS, it shoved out ASU from playing in a BCS game, most likely the Fiesta Bowl.

Do you honestly believe that it is ok for these stupid bowl committees to keep around? They will constantly pick teams that they think have a better chance at selling seats or keeping with "tradition" rather than pick the more qualified team.

The bottom line is, we can argue all day about which conference is tougher, but ASU has 2 losses and Illinois has 3.

fenikz
12-10-2007, 12:10 AM
just imagine how good all the bowl games could of been if they would just left Illinois out of it

OSU vs LSU
USC vs UGA
ASU vs OU
Hawaii vs WVU
KU vs VT

well i guess teams would still have to go to their bowl games so

OSU vs LSU
USC vs OU
ASU vs Hawaii
UGA vs WVU
KU vs VT

god i wish there was a playoff

Turtlepower
12-10-2007, 12:12 AM
just imagine how good all the bowl games could of been if they would just left Illinois out of it

OSU vs LSU
USC vs UGA
ASU vs OU
Hawaii vs WVU
KU vs VT

I think the Sugar Bowl had the right to claim Georgia because LSU went to the NC game... Also you should replace KU with Missu.

sweetness34
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Illinois lost to Mizz, Iowa and Michigan

3 loses in a weak conference(this year) doesn't deserve a BCS bowl bid

Mizzou is not in our conference, try again....

sweetness34
12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
See, it is not ASU who should be in the Rose Bowl, but a team like Missouri or West Virginia. I just don't think a 3-loss team should jump in front of a 2-loss team because of "tradition." By Illinois being in the BCS, it shoved out ASU from playing in a BCS game, most likely the Fiesta Bowl.

Do you honestly believe that it is ok for these stupid bowl committees to keep around? They will constantly pick teams that they think have a better chance at selling seats or keeping with "tradition" rather than pick the more qualified team.

The bottom line is, we can argue all day about which conference is tougher, but ASU has 2 losses and Illinois has 3.

And you lost to the team we are playing in the Rose Bowl. The committee also looked at the fact that you had 0 wins against ranked teams, a weak SOS, etc...We had 3 signature wins this season. Yes I agree our loss to Iowa was very, very bad but the other two teams we lost to were ranked, one of which is in the top 10 and Michigan while underachievers this year are no slouches either.

Illinois did not bump you out of anything, if anyone did it was Kansas who has no business in the BCS at all. We are more deserving than they are. No wins against quality teams and a cake schedule.

I do agree about the #13 ranking being pretty low for a BCS team but I am going to defend my Illini here. Do I agree with the BCS and how it shook out? No, but tradition won over in this thing, like it always has with the Rose Bowl. This should have been no surprise to anyone here that they took a Pac-10 and a Big-10 team.

sweetness34
12-10-2007, 09:25 AM
A more qualified team? hahahaha...You didn't beat anyone this year man, no one. Not even a currently ranked opponent. How the hell are you more "qualified?" Because you have only 2 losses and we have 3? Give me a break. We played 5 ranked teams this season, you played 2.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 09:27 AM

The same ASU that beat nobody and got destroyed by the only decent teams they played?

RyanLeaf#1
12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
The same ASU that beat nobody and got destroyed by the only decent teams they played?

I agree with you that Illinois should be playing in the Rose Bowl, but if ASU wants to be mad. They should be mad at Hawaii not Illinois.

someone447
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
If you lose 2+ games, you have no right to complain about not making the BCS. You know how ASU could have made it? Won another game.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 12:58 PM
If you lose 2+ games, you have no right to complain about not making the BCS. You know how ASU could have made it? Won another game.

At the very least don't lose by 3 TD at home

RyanLeaf#1
12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
At the very least don't lose by 3 TD at home

Well in ASUs defense USC is probably the hottest/best team in the country right now.

sweetness34
12-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Well in ASUs defense USC is probably the hottest/best team in the country right now.

They weren't at the time they played them.

ASU had TWO chances to step up and get a big win against Oregon or USC, they choked. We beat the #1 and #5 teams in the country when we played them.

someone447
12-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Ya, it isn't like Wisconsin last year, who lost one game IN SEPTEMBER and weren't even allowed in the BCS,

RyanLeaf#1
12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
They weren't at the time they played them.

ASU had TWO chances to step up and get a big win against Oregon or USC, they choked. We beat the #1 and #5 teams in the country when we played them.

When USC played ASU on Thanksgiving USC was a healthy team. I take nothing away from Illinois, but what im saying is USC healthy is the best team in the country.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Ya, it isn't like Wisconsin last year, who lost one game IN SEPTEMBER and weren't even allowed in the BCS,

Can't have three teams from one conference in it. Ohio State was #1, Michigan was going because they were 11-1 and blasted Wisconsin.

gstock05
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Georgia and Oklahoma would like to disagree.

Who has USC beaten? They beat UCLA! whoop dee do. ASU was a decent win, but not as impressive as it looked. ASU did not deserve to have that record. Overachieving due to good coaching.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Georgia and Oklahoma would like to disagree.

Who has USC beaten? They beat UCLA! whoop dee do. ASU was a decent win, but not as impressive as it looked. ASU did not deserve to have that record. Overachieving due to good coaching.

I still think USC would beat OU and UGA, but it's purely speculative.

someone447
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Can't have three teams from one conference in it. Ohio State was #1, Michigan was going because they were 11-1 and blasted Wisconsin.

That is why I put they weren't allowed. I think that is a terrible rule.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
That is why I put they weren't allowed. I think that is a terrible rule.

My bad I thought you meant they should have gone as one of the two teams. I agree that it's a terrible rule. They certainly would have given LSU a better run for their money than ND gave them.

gstock05
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I still think USC would beat OU and UGA, but it's purely speculative.

Regardless, both these teams were hotter at the end of the season than USC was.

Sniper
12-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Regardless, both these teams were hotter at the end of the season than USC was.

http://i6.tinypic.com/72atvgj.jpg

I disagree. USC bashed ASU at home by 3 TD and exacted revenge on UCLA....

sweetness34
12-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Go Illini!

*bump*

Turtlepower
01-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I think this year's Rose Bowl shows that tradition does not make the best match-up. USC should have played either West Virginia or Missouri.

soybean
01-02-2008, 03:26 AM
good game, good game.

some things:
a) too many unsportsmanlike penalities by USC. even though illinois fans may not forgive it, i forgive desmond reed summer-saulting into the endzone seeing how it was his last game/last touchdown/last big play ever as a trojan.
b) too many turnovers by illinois
c) rashard mendenhall. he's fast.
d) mcknight has a bright future. I hope he gets at least 15-20 carries a game next year.
e) nice td by benn, he's fast too.

Sniper
01-02-2008, 07:19 AM
If Illinois didn't shoot themselves in the foot with so many turnovers it would have been a hell of a game, but I think SC is the most talented team in the country. And Joe McKnight, well, this might be going over the line, BUT HE'S SEC FAST!

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
some analysts were saying McKnight is stepping into the position of being the best tailback in the country next year. go trojans!!!

soybean
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
some analysts were saying McKnight is stepping into the position of being the best tailback in the country next year. go trojans!!!

i hope he can compete for that title but there are so many other guys vying for that title too.

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Who else will be in the running, Beanie Wells and CJ Spiller? Well I think McKnight has an excellent chance and I can't really remember any returning tailback have as much of an impact as a true freshman (maybe spiller). Joe McKnight was very impressive out there and I am glad Booty's last game was good.

01-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Its very possible if hes given the opportunity, hes as talented as anyone in the backfield.

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Its very possible if hes given the opportunity, hes as talented as anyone in the backfield.

well i am very excited because i haven't been a big chauncey washington fan and i feel that our run game has been very mediocore at best. next year we should have a great run game with both McKnight and Stafon gaining experience and hopefully Bradford will get a few carries in the mix. One thing this game showed me is that McKnight should start next season and get 15+ touches a game

01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Who else will be in the running, Beanie Wells and CJ Spiller? Well I think McKnight has an excellent chance and I can't really remember any returning tailback have as much of an impact as a true freshman (maybe spiller). Joe McKnight was very impressive out there and I am glad Booty's last game was good.

Off the top of my head Kevin Smith, Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno, Felix Jones, Noel Devine, LeSean McCoy, DeMarco Murray, CJ Spiller, etc.

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
and slaton too if he comes back?

01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
and slaton too if he comes back?

Even if he does elect to come back his role in the offense is not what it once was with the emergence of Noel Devine who would continue to eat away carries.

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
do you think Devine has more potential than Slaton?

As for McKnight, that is a good list of tailbacks but I think he fits into that mix very nicely.

sweetness34
01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
good game, good game.

some things:
a) too many unsportsmanlike penalities by USC. even though illinois fans may not forgive it, i forgive desmond reed summer-saulting into the endzone seeing how it was his last game/last touchdown/last big play ever as a trojan.
b) too many turnovers by illinois
c) rashard mendenhall. he's fast.
d) mcknight has a bright future. I hope he gets at least 15-20 carries a game next year.
e) nice td by benn, he's fast too.

A) I will say this again, USC is not 32 points better than us. If you believe that you're an idiot in my book.

B) We were not ready for this big of a game, I think our guys shelled up in the first half (and the coordinators as well). But as you saw us relax and start to play we were dominating the 2nd Half up until Willis' fumble.

C) If Willis hangs on to the ball we score a TD, they could not stop Rashard at all. So that's 21-17 (21-20 if Reda hits a chip shot in the 1st Quarter). And this game is completely different, we have the momentum and USC isn't so confident.

D) Again, we drive on them to get points, USC couldn't stop us and Cumberland fumbles, USC goes in to score.

E) We caught some bad breaks with bounces in that game. McKnight's fumble goes for a 60 yard run, punter loses the ball and it goes right into his hands, Marcus Thomas jumps a route in the endzone playing the ball and they call PI we had an interception on that play btw, Juice's pass tipped at the line goes right to Mauluaga (sp?), Hazelton gets blown up by Harrison and the ball lands right in McKnight's hands for a first down....I'm not going to lie, we needed some breaks to win this game but it just sucks that we didn't get any at all.

F) The score was not indicative of how close this game should have been.

G) The media will have a field day with this score. But a couple plays go our direction and it's a dog fight down to the end, even the commentators made a mention of that.

H) Juice I thought played well under that kind of pressure. Had two INT's (one was bad luck) but drove us down a couple times only to have his WR's fumble.

I) Cumberland I guess was injured, couldn't even walk before the game but he gutted it out and played. Benn's shoulder was so bad that he should not have been playing either. Leman's leg got messed up in the 3rd Quarter. Not excuses, just commenting on how tough our guys are for fighting through some nasty injuries, proud of our team.

J) Next year's record might not be as good, but we'll be a better football team overall. We do have a tougher schedule in the Big 10 next year and that could show in our overall record, but again we're going to be a scary team.

sweetness34
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh and USC was the better team yesterday and deserved the win...Period.

slightlyaraiderfan
01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Sweetness, Illinois did not belong in a BCS bowl game and it showed. SC completely dominated the Illini, on both sides of the ball. 49 points and 600 plus yards(and that includes a 2nd quarter where the offense missed some opportunities to put it away), no way Illinois can match that, ever. On defense, SC was ready, completely took them out of their game and rattled them early.

The Rose Bowl needs to screw tradition, and not pick the 3rd team in a conference next time.

TouchdownUSC
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Sweetness, Illinois did not belong in a BCS bowl game and it showed. SC completely dominated the Illini, on both sides of the ball. 49 points and 600 plus yards(and that includes a 2nd quarter where the offense missed some opportunities to put it away), no way Illinois can match that, ever. On defense, SC was ready, completely took them out of their game and rattled them early.

The Rose Bowl needs to screw tradition, and not pick the 3rd team in a conference next time.

i agree with you man. im not disagreeing that illinois doesnt have talent but they were definately out matched in all ways yesterday. good game though.

VoteLynnSwan
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM

i don't agree at all with this... Illinois probably shouldn't have been in the BCS bowl, but up until the 4th quarter, Illinois was in that game.

The thing we all have to remember here is that USC is the single most talented team in college football, they would beat any team in the country right now. You want to talk about a team that didn't belong in a BCS bowl because they weren't as good as their record would indicate, talk about Hawaii.

badgerbacker
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
If Illinois didn't shoot themselves in the foot with so many turnovers it would have been a hell of a game, but I think SC is the most talented team in the country. And Joe McKnight, well, this might be going over the line, BUT HE'S SEC FAST!
Please...if he was fast enough to play in the SEC, he'd be playing in the SEC.

TouchdownUSC
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Please...if he was fast enough to play in the SEC, he'd be playing in the SEC.

Yeah, because McKnight couldn't play in SEC, right? Remember how bad LSU wanted him? I think he went to SC mainly because Reggie Bush is clearly his hero and he probably wanted to learn from the same program and coaches.

01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
do you think Devine has more potential than Slaton?

As for McKnight, that is a good list of tailbacks but I think he fits into that mix very nicely.

I could easily say Devine has much more potential than Slaton. Hes always been highly regarded coming into college and most likely into the pros for good reason. He gained over 600 yards in relatively limited PT and if you ever thought Slaton was a home run threat hes nothing next to his teammate. Slaton at best is a late 1st-early 2nd while Devine is a lock for the top half of the first as soon as hes eligible. McKnight should also enter that elite group come next season.

sweetness34
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
We were driving to make it 21-17 up until our fumble, we were in that game if we can hang onto the ball.

soybean
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, because McKnight couldn't play in SEC, right? Remember how bad LSU wanted him? I think he went to SC mainly because Reggie Bush is clearly his hero and he probably wanted to learn from the same program and coaches.

i believe badgerbacker was being sarcastic.

Sniper
01-03-2008, 06:03 PM

My friend, Badgerbacker was being sarcastic, poking fun at SEC fans who think their conference is slightly faster than Randy Moss with a 30 mph wind at his back. And by their conference I mean Glenn Dorsey

TouchdownUSC
01-05-2008, 02:26 AM
My friend, Badgerbacker was being sarcastic, poking fun at SEC fans who think their conference is slightly faster than Randy Moss with a 30 mph wind at his back. And by their conference I mean Glenn Dorsey

ok, i understand now. sorry, i didnt see the pun at first. well put.

bigbenn
01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned how Vontae Davis HAWKED Joe McKnight....he's a stud and he's fast.....but Vontae is FAST...

Sniper
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned how Vontae Davis HAWKED Joe McKnight....he's a stud and he's fast.....but Vontae is FAST...

Yeah I forgot about that. McKnight runs a 4.3 doesn't he? So what's that make Vontae then? What a family of athletic freaks.

iowatreat54
01-10-2008, 01:05 PM

yea Votae looked incredibly fast on that play, I was amazed...but it did look like McKnight started to jog because he thought he was already in ;)

soybean
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
yea Votae looked incredibly fast on that play, I was amazed...but it did look like McKnight started to jog because he thought he was already in ;)

nah, that's how he runs. long strides.

VoteLynnSwan
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Vontae davis has legit speed, combine that with his strength and size... and he could easily become a top 10 pick.

bigbenn
01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I think Vontae will run somewhere in the low 4.3's......and he WILL be a top 0 pick barring injury, a bad junior year, etc. I doubt it. So I'm saying it.....he'll be a top 10 pick. And this is coming from people from NFL organizations......you just don't find that many corners that big and that fast as well as physical.....