PDA

View Full Version : What's With Oregon?

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I know this is somewhat old news but I am watching some highlights from them on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kgtsSxI6bAQ

They look like a different team completely. I am just wondering how it is possible that their whole team shuts down without Dixon? It's amazing after watching highlights. Their defense and offensive line play so much better when he is in the game that it's really weird. I knew he was good and I expected they might lose a game without him but did anyone expect this result without him on the field? It's like a different team. I'm also suprised by Jonathan Stewart too. I was pretty high on him but I haven't really seen him step up since Dixon's injury and try and carry the team. We know Brady Leaf isn't very good but I still thought Oregon was solid enough to win games without Dixon. What do you guys think?

sweetness34
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Um they lost their Heisman candidate and best player on offense.

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Of course but does that give them an excuse to go from looking like the best team in the country and the Pac 10 to looking like one of the worst teams i've seen this year? I guess that spread offense just isnt successful without Dixon behind center. Stewart really has dissapointed me too. I thought he would be tearing it up still. I used to like him as a pro prospect more than Slaton but now I'm not so sure.

TCU
12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Um they lost their Heisman candidate and best player on offense.

yeah seriously, he carried that team.

San Diego Chicken
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Stewart redeemed himself in the Civil War. He had a workmanlike game, 163 yards on 39 carries, while he was hurting and going against the #1 run defense in college football. It's tough on him too, because teams don't respect the threat of the QB "pull' anymore, and Stewart doesn't have a lead blocker on most of his runs.

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Even though they don't have a quarterback who runs a 4.6 on the field, defenses still have to respect the spread right? I mean they still have to account for like 4 wide receivers that Oregon has on the field? Maybe they stopped accounting for the receivers though when they found out Brady Leaf couldn't pass.

TouchdownUSC
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Who is going to probably take over for Dixon next season? Do they have another fast dual threat QB coming or on the bench? If not, their system will probably not work near as well next year either.

jbeans187
12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Who is going to probably take over for Dixon next season? Do they have another fast dual threat QB coming or on the bench? If not, their system will probably not work near as well next year either.

They have a couple recruits coming in that are pretty good scrambling qbs, but they will be freshman, so who knows

TouchdownUSC
12-04-2007, 12:23 AM
so as of right now nobody on their team is expecting to be "the guy" after dixon leaves?

BuddyCHRIST
12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Even losing their starting QB you wouldn't expect the offense to become that completely terrible. I mean 0 points against UCLA after being one of the highest scoring offenses in the country. Coaches should have had some kind of backup plan, it looks like they were being carried by Dixon as much as the players were.

RyanLeaf#1
12-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Coaches lost them their last game against Oregon State.

duckseason
12-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I know this is somewhat old news but I am watching some highlights from them on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kgtsSxI6bAQ

They look like a different team completely. I am just wondering how it is possible that their whole team shuts down without Dixon? It's amazing after watching highlights. Their defense and offensive line play so much better when he is in the game that it's really weird. I knew he was good and I expected they might lose a game without him but did anyone expect this result without him on the field? It's like a different team. I'm also suprised by Jonathan Stewart too. I was pretty high on him but I haven't really seen him step up since Dixon's injury and try and carry the team. We know Brady Leaf isn't very good but I still thought Oregon was solid enough to win games without Dixon. What do you guys think?

It's important to remember that we had already suffered a tremendous amount of injuries to key players prior to the loss of Dixon. Our key stat this year would probably be the number of ACL tears our players have suffered: SIX. You may be able to plug a freshman receiver in here and a freshman MLB over there and still get by, but losing Dixon was just the final piece of bird-shot that broke the Ducks' back.

He was obviously the heart of this team. With him, the team still had confidence and was able to survive despite the loss of so many other key players. Without him, that confidence evaporated. And anybody who has played competitive sports knows just how big a role confidence plays in your performance level.

Not only is Brady Leaf a horrible fit for our offense, but he's also a horrible leader who nobody has any confidence in. Our coaches didn't help matters by not being prepared with a new game plan in the likely event that we'd be losing Dixon in the Arizona game. From my perspective, our offense gave up after Dixon went down. They just didn't believe in themselves with Leaf at the helm. So yes, the loss of Dixon had a significant impact on our drastic decline in offensive production.

After our passing game went from one of the most deadly to one of the most dead, opposing defenses quickly directed 95% of their attention toward our running game. A running game that no longer featured two of its top 3 weapons in Dixon and Jeremiah Johnson. Stewart is a great back, but to expect him to carry us to victories with a target on his forehead is asking too much.

We looked like a completely different team because we were a completely different team. You won't see very many major college programs winning conference games with their 4th and 5th string freshmen QB's at the helm. Especially when a substantial chunk of veteran leadership at other key positions has been decimated as well. You can't expect great results from a bunch of inexperienced players who haven't played in a real game since high school. But hey, I guess the bright side is that some of our youngsters gained valuable experience heading into next season.

duckseason
12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
They have a couple recruits coming in that are pretty good scrambling qbs, but they will be freshman, so who knows
so as of right now nobody on their team is expecting to be "the guy" after dixon leaves?

Nathan Costa will be our starter next year. Had he not torn his ACL at an October practice, we would have seen him play this year. He's far more mobile than Leaf, Kempt, and Roper, and also has a strong arm as well as overall strength. He squats 425 and benches 290. That obviously has no bearing on his ability as a QB, I'm just illustrating his strength.

Coming out of HS, he was rated among the top 20 QB's (19th by Rivals) in the nation, and was known as an excellent dual-threat. He rushed for 1,709 yards and 18 TD's as a senior.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery from the torn ACL as soon as possible. He'll be a junior next season.

TouchdownUSC
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM
How does Costa compare to dixon as a prospect coming out of high school?

LonghornsLegend
12-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Sad sad story with Dixon, I really didnt see Oregon losing another game on their schedule...hopefully he is ok and gets a shot in the nfl