PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Alex Smith?

GiantRutgersFan
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
after a terrible first year (1 td, 11 ints in 7 starts), he rebounded pretty well and had a solid year with 16 TDs, and a 75 QB rating.

Now his OC is gone and who knows if Frank Gore can repeat his great year.

What do you see in the future from Alex Smith? He was the #1 pick in the draft, yet no one talks about the guy and you cant stop hearing about Vick, Eli Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer. But no one really talks about Smith...

What do you see in Alex Smith next year and in the future?

EdReedUnstoppable
02-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I think Smith could be a very good starting QB, his teams need to get him a true #1 WR, and I think he'll continue to progress just fine.

FloridaFootball
02-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Smith could be a very good starting QB, his teams need to get him a true #1 WR, and I think he'll continue to progress just fine.

Vernon Davis?

regoob2
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I completly agree. And Frank Gore, WILL continue to be a stud

swagger
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I see him making a pretty significant jump from year 2 to year 3. He's still only 22 years old, and you see a lot of quarterbacks have a significant jump in production in that transition.

jetsfan3
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Vernon Davis?

A true #1 WR is different than a beast TE. If they can grab a true #1 WR along with Vernon and Gore, Smith will be a very happy quarterback.

eacantdraft
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Average QB so far.

tom
02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
He's a real inteligent QB, and will be great in this league. I consider him to be in the mold of tom brady, not great physical skills, but a very smart QB. Oh, and with a stud WR, I could see them in the playoffs next year.

Pit Bull #53
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I think he'll be a good QB as long as they keep upgrading the talent around him. Gore and Bryant were nice starts, and the OL is pretty solid, now Vernon needs to have a good year, and they could probably use another WR. He's still 22 years old as well. I liked him better than Aaron Rodgers, but I guess that still remains to be seen.

16_SFfan_80
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Has good upside, but will be setback by the loss of Norv Turner, which was clearly responsible for his substantial improvement in play.

El$anDollah
02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Smith is progressing quite nicely. I think he was picked over Aaron Rodgers because of his intelligence. With a #1 WR, the 9ers could defenitly make a push at the playoffs. He sort of reminds me of Chad Pennington.

Beans
02-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I think he can be a solid tight end, but he was marred by injuries this year, I think.

etk
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
He needs a go-to-guy. Vernon Davis can easily fill that role but they will still need a big possession receiver and a burner. I don't know if Smith has the arm power to take advantage of a burner, but screens would take advantage of their speed and YAC ability.

16_SFfan_80
02-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Vernon will develop into a great tight end. However, the 49ers still need a #1 WR target, because they love to use Vernon in different blocking schemes.

With his strength, he's already developed into a fierce blocker. Mike Nolan commented at the Senior Bowl that Vernon had already become one of the best blocking tight ends in the league.

And because we want to use him in that role, as well as use him as a receiving threat, we also still require a #1 guy.

The Unseen
02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.biography.com/biography/images/episode_images/jackson_randy_320x240.jpg

"He's a'ight."

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I dont think he'll be a good QB but I'll wait untill after this year.

Chucky
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
i think it was a very bad call not bringing back turner, they should have done everything they could

Larry
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
i think it was a very bad call not bringing back turner, they should have done everything they could

wtf, you can't block any coach on your staff from becoming a HC.

EdReedUnstoppable
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Vernon Davis?

I mean like a Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison type of WR someone who is an elite WR <---- note the position.

cunningham06
02-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I see him underachieving for much of his career. Fast starts that grow stagnant as the season wears on.

TCU
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I like the guy but he has no talent around him other than Gore and with Norv gone i see him struggling a bit here without any true #1 WR.

GiantRutgersFan
02-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I like the guy but he has no talent around him other than Gore and with Norv gone i see him struggling a bit here without any true #1 WR.

Bryant is pretty good and he has a good O-Line.

How come everyone and their mother is against Eli, But Smith was selected with the same pick 1 year later and no one says anything when Eli greatly outplayed Smith?

yourfavestoner
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM

How come everyone and their mother is against Eli, But Smith was selected with the same pick 1 year later and no one says anything when Eli greatly outplayed Smith?

I see where you're coming from, and I think Eli has received a lot of unwarranted criticism for a young quarterback who is still developing, but there are a few of reasons.

1. Smith was the first pick in a weak draft class, whereas Eli was the first pick in an absolutely stacked draft class.
2. People understood there would be growing pains for Smith, as he didn't run a pro style offense in college.
3. Eli has an NFL pedigree.
4. Of the two quarterbacks selected after Eli, one had the best quarterback rating ever for a rookie and won a Superbowl and the other one has made the Pro Bowl.
5. The talent difference between the Giants and 49ers isn't even close.
6. Eli plays in a huge market, whereas Smith plays in a small one.

Jonathan_VIlma
02-19-2007, 03:07 PM
The 49ers are still one of the weakest teams in terms of pure talent, but they get by due to good coaching, and the fact that they have Frank Gore and an offensive line that specializes in run blocking. They need to add a big time red zone receiver and some better defensive players and they'll be set.

keylime_5
02-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I was never a fan of Smith, and I don't think he'll come close to the level of Palmer, Manning, McNabb, and Culpepper (in his prime anyway). Coming out of college he graded out significantly lower than Young, Rivers, E.Manning, Roethlisberger, and maybe even Leinart. He can be a decent NFL starting QB, but I don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl or stud QB.

Splat
02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Pit Bull #53 I think your avatar is why Jeff is going to play baseball lol.

LICowboyFan
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I think he can be a solid tight end, but he was marred by injuries this year, I think. :P

lol

SillyRyno
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Bust!!! :lol:

ninerfan
02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Alex will be fine - he's not exactly surrounded with talent but the he and the team are improving. Ok so he's probably not going to be Peyton Manning but I do think he'll be a top 5-10 QB in the league.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-19-2007, 04:19 PM
He just needs Dwayne Jarrett, and a good QB coach, and he'll develop into a great-elite QB.

Larry
02-19-2007, 04:36 PM
He just needs Dwayne Jarrett, and a good QB coach, and he'll develop into a great-elite QB.

lol What is Mike Williams Jr going to do for us?

San Diego Chicken
02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Smith is the youngest starting QB in the league, younger than Leinart, Cutler, Young, or Jackson. I thought he looked great when I watched him play.

LICowboyFan
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM

why does everybody keep saying Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett are the same?

KCJ58
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
2009 NFL MVP

16_SFfan_80
02-19-2007, 05:05 PM

I see where you're coming from, and I think Eli has received a lot of unwarranted criticism for a young quarterback who is still developing, but there are a few of reasons.

1. Smith was the first pick in a weak draft class, whereas Eli was the first pick in an absolutely stacked draft class.
2. People understood there would be growing pains for Smith, as he didn't run a pro style offense in college.
4. Of the two quarterbacks selected after Eli, one had the best quarterback rating ever for a rookie and won a Superbowl and the other one has made the Pro Bowl.

The Bay Area is not a small market, but I agree with most of your other points.

I'd like to also emphasize the lack of talent on the 49ers offense, besides Frank Gore.

keylime_5
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM

why does everybody keep saying Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett are the same?

For real, Jarrett is awesome, Williams is a douche

Borat
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM

This is because loudmouth Giants fans acted like Eli was the next Montana and 49er fans just pray Smith wasn't a complete bust.

princefielder28
02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
He's progressing nicely but it may be alittle of a setback losing Norv Turner but he will be successful if they can get him weapons

Green Bay Scat
02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Ginn would be a horrible parring with Smith, i think they should trade up with there second pick IF someone like Meach/Rice/Bowe fell early in the second round.

16_SFfan_80
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM

This is because loudmouth Giants fans acted like Eli was the next Montana and 49er fans just pray Smith wasn't a complete bust.

Exactly. Giants fans deserve all the criticism pointed at Manning because of their ridiculous homerism.

16_SFfan_80
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Ginn would be a horrible parring with Smith, i think they should trade up with there second pick IF someone like Meach/Rice/Bowe fell early in the second round.

Agreed. They need a pass rusher or a run stuffer.

yourfavestoner
02-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I'd like to also emphasize the lack of talent on the 49ers offense, besides Frank Gore.

Eh...the New York market pretty much dwarfs all the other markets in the league.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Mike Williams sat out a year. That rust screwed him over. Jarrett compares better to Plaxico Burress(maybe without character concern).

KCJ58
02-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Mike Williams sat out a year. That rust screwed him over. Jarrett compares better to Plaxico Burress(maybe without character concern).

Dwayne Jarrett is better than Mike Williams when they were at USC

yourfavestoner
02-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Keyshawn Johnson.

GiantRutgersFan
02-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Eh...the New York market pretty much dwarfs all the other markets in the league.

Theres also 2 teams here. I dont really have any facts, but It seems like the 49ers have a larger national fanbase then the Giants.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Dwayne Jarrett is better than Mike Williams when they were at USC

Hell no. Mike Williams had back to back 1,000+ yard seasons. Mike Williams had back to back All-America seasons. Mike Williams was to be the best WR in college, until he tried to declare early.

Stash
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Theres also 2 teams here. I dont really have any facts, but It seems like the 49ers have a larger national fanbase then the Giants.

Both NY and the Bay Area have 2 teams, but the NY media is definitely the craziest in sports. Players are either a hero or a goat with them.

toonsterwu
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
I liked Alex a lot coming out, and I still do. That said, losing Norv hurts. Norv was a great offensive guy ... but more than that, moving to his 3rd system in 3 years ... not the best way to have growth. That said, they seemed to find a rhythm last year with the power run game. Without Norv, I think they need to give stronger concern to getting offensive playmakers, because the talent surrounding Alex Smith right now likely isn't enough to help him go another notch.

We have to wait and see who the OC is, though, to speculate further. Not a big fan of Jerry Sullivan.

WeaselBird
02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
I liked Alex a lot coming out, and I still do. That said, losing Norv hurts. Norv was a great offensive guy ... but more than that, moving to his 3rd system in 3 years ... not the best way to have growth. That said, they seemed to find a rhythm last year with the power run game. Without Norv, I think they need to give stronger concern to getting offensive playmakers, because the talent surrounding Alex Smith right now likely isn't enough to help him go another notch.

We have to wait and see who the OC is, though, to speculate further. Not a big fan of Jerry Sullivan.

I'm rooting for ken zampese to get the job. Hopefully, the bengals will let us interview him. I know he refused to interview for the dolphins because he wouldn't get full control of the offense with cam cameron there. Nolan would give him absolute control over the offense, so it'd be an ideal situation for him.

LocCsta
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Who is Ken Zampese and what is his background? Sorry im a noob

WeaselBird
02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Who is Ken Zampese and what is his background? Sorry im a noob

http://www.bengals.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=13
The bengals qb coach. Jon Kitna had his best season under him and worked pretty closely with carson palmer. I want the new OC to be someone that also knows how to work with qb's.

ckr50702
02-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Get rid of Bryant and draft Meachem and him and Davis would give 2 #1's for Smith. And I see him throwing at least 20 touchdowns next year and a qb rating of > 85.