PDA

View Full Version : gpngc Mock Draft 12-4-07

gpngc
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Looking for feedback. What did I get wrong? What do you disagree with? Who's too high? Who's too low? Who did I forget? Who shouldn't be there?
What should your team take? Thanks...

01. MIA- Glenn Dorsey
The Dolphins are about to lock up the first overall pick as they are still searching for their first win. They’ll have a bunch of options with this pick, including the possibility of trading down. There will likely be many suitors, such as the Falcons, Jets, Bengals, and Raiders, who could all make a play for Darren McFadden. If they stay put (and remember, this mock draft does not project trades), they have a decision to make. 26-year-old rookie QB John Beck will have a chance to audition for the starting job down the stretch, but if he fails to show anything, the Fins could grab a QB here. Or, the Dolphins could take Arkansas HB Darren McFadden, and have him split carries with often-injured HB Ronnie Brown. A more likely situation, however, is that the Dolphins look at the LT position, and select Michigan OT Jake Long. If they choose to stick with former first round pick Vernon Carey at LT, the Fins could take LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, who is regarded as the best DT prospect we’ve seen in years. Starters Vonnie Holliday and Keith Traylor are both over 30 and any team could use a potentially dominant player like Dorsey, who can get after the QB from the inside as well as get penetration to stop the run. There are still games to be played, but my guess is that the Dolphins talent evaluators are already looking into what they could do with this pick.

02. NE (SF)- Darren McFadden
So the worst team in the league gets the first overall pick, and then the best team in the league gets the second overall pick. Thanks to the 49ers thinking they were better than they really were, the rich get richer as the Patriots benefit from an excellent draft-day move in the 2007 draft. New England would most likely shop this pick to avoid paying big money to a #2 pick, and stockpile later picks in the process. If they did stay put, it’s hard to envision them passing on Darren McFadden of Arkansas. McFadden, arguably the best overall prospect in the draft, has a running style similar to Adrian Peterson, as both possess good vision and power, along with breakaway speed. The Patriots have Laurence Maroney, but he’s struggled to stay on the field consistently, and Kevin Faulk’s days are almost done. Imagine an offense with Tom Brady and those receivers along with a running game featuring Darren McFadden and Laurence Maroney. Scary.

03. ATL- Brian Brohm
The Michael Vick situation has obvious hurt this franchise, so it’s time for Bobby Petrino to start over. I would argue that Andre Woodson is the best pro prospect of the big three QB’s in this draft, but it’s hard to envision a scenario in which Petrino passed on his own guy, Brian Brohm. Brohm put up excellent numbers throughout his career, but much of that can be attributed to the wide-open Louisville offense. Nevertheless, Brohm has everything you look for in a franchise QB, and could start right away in Atlanta under his former college coach.

04. NYJ- Kenny Phillips
Erik Coleman is in Eric Mangini’s doghouse and S Abram Elam has not been very impressive. Adding Kenny Phillips of Miami next to Kerry Rhodes would give the Jets the best safety duo in the NFL. Phillips is an athletic monster with the same type of physical ability as the late Sean Taylor. Phillips can hit, cover, and flat-out make plays, and would give the Jets three pro-bowl caliber youngsters in the secondary.

05. STL- Chris Long
The Rams have had a miserable season, as much of their offense has been decimated by injuries. Defensively, they’ve struggled just as they have in recent history, and in the upcoming draft they’ll likely look to address that side of the ball. Chris Long, the son of Hall-of-Famer Howie, is a relentless DE with great technique and an excellent motor. Long recorded 14 sacks as a senior at Virginia, and would give the Rams a guy who can stop the run and rush the passer opposite Leonard Little in St. Louis.

06. CIN- Calais Campbell
The Bengals lack a pass-rush and could use a big-time DE off the edge. Calais Campbell hasn’t had a spectacular season at Miami, but there’s no denying his athletic ability. Some have labeled him as a poor man’s Mario Williams, and the talent is definitely there.

07. KC- Jake Long
Jake Long is the best OT prospect in the draft and has a mean streak as a run blocker along with good footwork and quickness in pass protection. The Chiefs need a LT, and Long is a perfect fit.

08. BAL- Andre Woodson
Brian Billick loves Kyle Boller, but Billick may be shown the door and it might be time to go in a different direction. Andre Woodson has all the physical tools you look for in a franchise QB, including a strong arm.

09. OAK- DeSean Jackson
It will be interesting to see if the Raiders make a play for Darren McFadden, as they may even be high up enough to pick him after the season. In this projection, however, they go with immediate offensive firepower with DeSean Jackson of Cal- arguably the most explosive player in the nation. Jackson is a more polished receiver than Ted Ginn was, and might even have better return abilities.

10. NO- Sedrick Ellis
It’s no secret that the Saints have been a disappointment this season, and a lot of their struggles have been on defense. USC DT Sedrick Ellis is a big DT with a motor who can get after the passer as well as stuff the run. As a senior, Ellis recorded 8.5 sacks, which is extremely impressive for an interior defensive lineman.

11. HOU- Jonathan Stewart
Ahman Green has been disappointing this season, and Ron Dayne isn’t exactly starter material. Jonathan Stewart of Oregon has NFL skills and could step in right away and make an impact.

12. DEN- Dan Connor
The Broncos could use help at LB, and Dan Connor can play outside or inside. A tackle machine, Connor is also a leader on and off the field, as he’s enjoyed a great deal of success in Happy Valley.

13. CAR- Matt Ryan
Jake Delhomme has been injured this season, but even if he returns healthy next year, the Panthers need to prepare for the future. Boston College QB Matt Ryan may not be the elite prospect some have made him out to be, but he’s been the best passer in the ACC for the past two seasons. Great in the short and intermediate game, Ryan can also improvise and make something out of nothing. His stats this season were 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, but that was against some of the best defenses in the nation, being in the ACC.

14. WAS- Vernon Gholston
A dynamic pass-rusher, Vernon Gholston of Ohio State, should he declare, will be a first round pick. The Redskins lack a play-maker off the edge, and Gholston would fit in perfectly.

15. PHI- Malcolm Kelly
Eagles fans will swear Andy Reid will never take a WR in round one, but with no safety worthy of this pick, maybe Malcolm Kelly can change Reid’s opinion. Kelly broke out this season at Oklahoma and has it all in terms of size, speed, route-running, and especially hands. He can go deep and is also a threat in the short game, especially after the catch.

16. CHI- Michael Oher
Rumors are circulating that Michael Oher will leave Ole Miss early and bolt for the NFL. Oher is a versatile, athletic, offensive lineman who could play inside or outside at the next level. Not completely fundamentally sound yet, the physically gifted Oher has the talent to develop into one of the NFL’s best offensive lineman. He could go higher than this come draft day.

17. ARZ- James Laurinaitis
The Cardinals need a play-making LB, and James Laurinaitis is a sideline-to-sideline tackling machine. The son of a former pro wrestler, Laurinaitis is a leader from his MLB spot for Ohio State. As a junior, Laurinaitis recorded 103 tackles, 5 sacks, and 2 interceptions for the Buckeyes.

18. BUF- Malcolm Jenkins
Arguably the best CB in the draft, Malcolm Jenkins is another in the long line of great Ohio State defensive backs. At 6’1, 202, Jenkins is a big, physical CB who could potentially develop into a guy who could shut down half of the field in Buffalo.

19. MIN- Adarius Bowman
The defense and running game look tremendous and Sidney Rice looks like a steal, but the Vikings could still use more weapons in the passing game. Adarius Bowman of Oklahoma State had his senior season shortened because of an injury, but he still managed to grab 61 passes for 932 yards and 7 touchdowns. Athletically, he’s as gifted as any receiver in the nation, having also played Basketball for the Cowboys. However, what separates Bowman from other receivers is his route-running, and strength against press coverage.

20. DET- Aqib Talib
The Lions have fizzled, and will likely finish the season out of the playoffs for another year. Their defense has been a problem, specifically in the secondary, and adding Aqib Talib of Kansas would immediately help.

21. DAL (CLE)- Limas Sweed
The Cowboys have an aging receiving corps, and will likely address WR early in the draft. Tony Romo would welcome a pick of Limas Sweed of Texas. Sweed missed much of his senior season due to injury, but had an impressive career for the Longhorns. Good size and hands are pluses, and it was clear that Colt McCoy really missed Sweed this year in Austin.

22. TEN- James Hardy
A redshirt junior, James Hardy of Indiana is one of the best draft-eligible WR’s no one is talking about. A red-zone monster, the 6’7 Hardy is a mismatch for any defensive back in college or the pro’s. Indiana isn’t a high-profile team, so if you didn’t catch Hardy this season, the stats say it all: 74 catches, 1075 yards, and a whopping 16 touchdowns. Hardy failed to score a td in only ONE game this season, a loss at Wisconsin. Vince Young has little to brag about in terms of WR’s, and the addition of Hardy could help Young take his game to the next level.

23. SD- Derrick Harvey
Beyond Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman, the Chargers have little in terms of pass-rushers. Derrick Harvey of Florida projects into a dominant 3-4 OLB, and with the injury history of Merriman and Phillips, adding pass-rushers for depth is important for San Diego.

24. SEA- Ray Rice
Shaun Alexander is being outplayed by career backup Maurice Morris. The Seahawks could use an offensive guard or tight end, but if Ray Rice declares, and he’s still there in the bottom half of round one, the Rutgers star would look good in Seahawks blue.

25. TB- Ryan Clady
Still without an elite LT, the Buccaneers would be ecstatic to land a prospect like Ryan Clady in round one. Clady, a junior, has had an excellent career at Boise State, and his game translates well to the NFL.

26. NYG- Justin King
The Giants think they’ve found a starting CB in Aaron Ross, but with Sam Madison aging, and little in terms of quality depth, they could still use another CB. Justin King of Penn State has all the physical tools you look for in a shut-down corner, including excellent recovery speed. In his junior season, King tallied 44 tackles, with 2 interceptions, and 15 passes defended.

27. JAC- Lawrence Jackson
The WR situation in Jacksonville is a mess, but at least it looks like they’ve found their QB. David Garrard has been spectacular this season, and the running game, led by an underrated offensive line, has been solid as usual. Defensively, the Jaguars could use a pass-rushing DE, and Lawrence Jackson of USC fits in perfectly. Overshadowed by some of the other big-name DE’s and big-time prospects on USC’s defense, Jackson has been steady and solid throughout his career with the Trojans. Not a dynamic pass-rusher, Jackson has still been able to record his share of sacks, including 9.5 this year as a senior.

28. PIT- Sam Baker
Marvel Smith has struggled this season and Max Starks is probably best suited as a backup. Sam Baker could grow into a solid LT in the NFL, as he’s developed nicely in his four seasons at USC. Great in pass-protection, Baker could add some bulk, especially if he’s drafted into Pittsburgh’s run-first system.

29. GB- Keith Rivers
The Packers defense has come together nicely thanks to some good free agent signings and good drafting over the past few years. However, the one spot that could be upgraded is Brady Poppinga at OLB. Adding in the fast, athletic Keith Rivers, would the Pack a LB corps of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, and Rivers, which could probably be considered the best threesome in the league.

30. SF (IND)- Quentin Groves
This pick comes to the Niners from the Colts. San Francisco needs a pass-rushing OLB for their 3-4 defense, and Quentin Groves can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up.

31. DAL- Antoine Cason
The Cowboys have a very talented team, but could use some depth at CB. Antoine Cason is one of the most feared playmakers in the entire country. As a CB, Cason has ruined the BCS dreams of Cal and Oregon in the last two seasons respectively, by taking a pick to the house to propel Arizona to victory. A high-character player, Cason has good speed and coverage ability, as well as some talent in the return game.

32. NE- FORFEITED

33. MIA- Terrell Thomas
34. SF- Dre Moore
35. ATL- Gosder Cherilus
36. NYJ- Eric Young
37. STL- Ali Highsmith
38. CIN- Kentwan Balmer
39. KC- Brandon Flowers
40. BAL- Shawn Crable
41. OAK- Geno Hayes
42. NO- Curtis Lofton
43. ATL (HOU)- Barry Richardson
44. DEN- Frank Okam
45. CAR- Travis Beckum
46. WAS- DeMario Pressley
47. PHI- Reggie Smith
48. CHI- Roy Schuening
49. ARZ- Darrell Robertson
50. BUF- Early Doucet
51. MIN- Martin Rucker
52. DET- Jonathan Goff
53. CLE- Kendall Langford
54. TEN- Vince Hall
55. MIA (SD)- Jeff Otah
56. SEA- Martellus Bennett
57. TB- Harry Douglas
58. NYG- Xavier Adibi
59. JAC- Chevis Jackson
60. PIT- Andrew Crummey
61. GB- Mike Jenkins
62. IND- Steve Slaton
63. DAL- Chris Williams
64. NE- Leodis McKelvin

65. MIA- Fred Davis
66. SF- D.J. Hall
67. ATL- Trevor Laws
68. NYJ- Bruce Davis
69. STL- Keenan Burton
70. CIN- Beau Bell
71. KC- Dorien Bryant
72. BUF (BAL)- John Carlson
73. NE (OAK)- Philip Wheeler
74. NO- Dustin Keller
75. HOU- Erin Henderson
76. MIN (DEN)- DeJuan Tribble
77. CAR- Tony Hills
78. WAS- Tracy Porter
79. PHI- Kirk Barton
80. CHI- Chad Henne
81. ARZ- Mike Hart
82. BUF- Marcus Harrison
83. MIN- Ben Moffitt
84. DET- Chris Ellis
85. CLE- Red Bryant
86. TEN- Titus Brown
87. CHI (SD)- Wesley Woodyard
88. SEA- Drew Radovich
89. TB- Dwight Lowery
90. NYG- Jonathan Hefney
91. JAC- Dennis Dixon
92. PIT- Jacob Hester
93. GB- Allen Patrick
94. IND- Andre Fluellen
95. DAL- Eddie Royal
96. NE- Hilee Taylor

Gridiron
12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Great Jets draft.

Scotty D
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Sick Lions draft.

gsorace
12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Great Jets draft.

Agree for the most part, Young in the second is a good pick, but I think the Jets take Otah instead if he is still there.

Gridiron
12-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Agree for the most part, Young in the second is a good pick, but I think the Jets take Otah instead if he is still there.
Agreed, but I didn't even see him there.

Overall I think Phillips is a great pick since he's still one of the best prospects in this draft and fills a huge need for the Jets. Not to mention it would, as explained, give the Jets a potentially elite secondary with him, Rhodes, and Revis, and we all know the Jets could use a better secondary with the Patriots in the division.

Also, now that I think of it, I think I'd prefer Chris Ellis in the 3rd round, but great draft either way.

fenikz
12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Drafting Laurinaitis would mean we would have to shift Dansby outside which seems stupid when we should just draft an outside guy because Dansby is having is best year as a ILB, give us Harvey or Groves in the 1st then a CB in the 2nd and O-Line Depth in the 3rd

Geo
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
If only Steve Slaton could fall to the Colts ...

PACKmanN
12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
great packers mock. A++++++

gpngc
12-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Drafting Laurinaitis would mean we would have to shift Dansby outside which seems stupid when we should just draft an outside guy because Dansby is having is best year as a ILB, give us Harvey or Groves in the 1st then a CB in the 2nd and O-Line Depth in the 3rd

Thanks. This is the kind of feedback that helps me. Appreciate it.

JETS5128
12-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Agreed, but I didn't even see him there.

Overall I think Phillips is a great pick since he's still one of the best prospects in this draft and fills a huge need for the Jets. Not to mention it would, as explained, give the Jets a potentially elite secondary with him, Rhodes, and Revis, and we all know the Jets could use a better secondary with the Patriots in the division.

Also, now that I think of it, I think I'd prefer Chris Ellis in the 3rd round, but great draft either way.

Agreed, although I would love to see D-line adressed on the first day, this is as good a draft as you can get

Bills2083
12-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Great Bills draft

thebow305
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
pretty good phins draft.... fred davis in the third is real nice.

gpngc
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
pretty good phins draft.... fred davis in the third is real nice.

So the Phins fan accepts Glenn Dorsey? What would you say if that pick was Jake Long? McFadden?

Thanks for your input...

BaLLiN
12-04-2007, 06:38 PM
All giants picks are the right spots basically, but if Keith Rivers was there for the giants, in most cases then not, we'd take him, and in the second we'd take a corner then EDIT: probably Mike Jenkins in the situation in the 2nd

Yung Flippa
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Good Round 1 for the Ravens, but i'd rather have Mike Jenkins or Reggie Smith in Round 2, CB is a bigger need for us.
Good Round 1 for the Texans, and i think they would rather go with DeJaun Tribble or Tracy Porter in Round 3.

Crazy_Chris
12-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Decent Vikings mock... But we need OT somewhere on the first day, Ben Moffitt isn't needed. Give us Tony Hills with the first pick in the 3rd round and than Zack Bowman with the Second 3rd round pick.

Also i would be Shocked if Erin Henderson slipped all the way to the 3rd.

T-RICH49
12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
A+ Chiefs mock

Beans
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
I would absolutely love this mock if you give the Bucs Colt Brennan in the 3rd.

tylerb929
12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
If only Steve Slaton could fall to the Colts ...

If only..... then we could pass on him. After what we've seen from Addai and even Kenton Keith why would we draft a RB. I'd guess LB, DE or WR (we've seen the depth problems at these positions this year, without Marvin or Freeney we're in trouble), or Safety or TE (depending how Sanders and Clarks contract negotiations go).

And DT is no longer a need for the Colts, we got both Ed Johnson and Quinn Pitcock last year who are both playing extremely well, Brock and Reid are playing the UT position just fine, and we should get McFarland back off IR next year. No need at DT.

NYGibril28
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
One thing Justin King lacks in terms of becoming a shut-down corner, is quality coverage ability. Right now it seems like he's just getting by on pure athleticism.

Good pick in the 2nd with Adibi.

DiG
12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Decent mock for the skins.

I'd really like to see us address O Line in the first 3 rounds somewhere. I like the Gholston pick but if we go D line in the first then I'd prefer to see us go with someone like Otah or even Schuening in the 2nd. I like Porter in the 3rd.

bored of education
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I like the 1st two rounds for sure. Flowers would be nasty in the cover 2 with KC. Bryant would be a good compliment to Bowe and Gonzo

Vikes99ej
12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
No to the Vikings pick. We have that type of reciever in Sidney Rice. Give us Ryan Clady instead. Other three picks look great.

JK-47
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Great Jets draft.

Earlier in the year, I was wanting us to go for Phillips, but I think Chris Long may be a better pick.

I'd be happy with either though.

bearsfan_51
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok mock. Some of you values are pretty screwey. Jeff Otah in the late 2nd? Come on...

You have us passing on Otah and Clady to pick Oher. I'm actually an Oher fan but I don't see that happening. I wouldn't dislike it, but Clady has too much upside as a LT for that to occur IMO.

I also don't see much likelyhood that we'll take a guard in the 2nd round if we've already picked an OL in the 1st, especially one with Oher's versatility. I would much rather have a guy like Early Doucett (who you have going in the late 2nd for reasons well beyond me).

Oaktown1981
12-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Terrible Raiders pick. S.Ellis would be much better Raiders DL is so bad right now. Ellis would be the ideal replacement for W.Sapp.

bolts2388
12-06-2007, 03:32 AM
23. SD- Derrick Harvey
Beyond Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman, the Chargers have little in terms of pass-rushers. Derrick Harvey of Florida projects into a dominant 3-4 OLB, and with the injury history of Merriman and Phillips, adding pass-rushers for depth is important for San Diego.

You obviously don't know what your talking about lol.